Who track runner here?

Who track runner here?
Just ran a mile race today with my mind set on breaking 5 minutes finally. Got fucked up mentally
Shit was starting pretty nice but my legs were getting really fatigued

its a 400 meter track so i went for each lap i was

1:12
2:26
3:36
shit was looking like i was going to break 5 minutes but then i just lost my nerve for some reason and my kick got weak as shit,

ended up hitting a 5:14

Im feeling really disgusted and ashamed with myself right now, any advice or kind words from you Veeky Forums?
You can also bully me if you want, don't really care right now.

If it makes you feel any better, I ran 400 meter repeats this morning and my best time was 1:37

>would murder a small village for your endurance

Best I can do is a 9 minute mile....i'm in pretty good shape, you are leagues ahead of me man

He is on pace for a 15 minute three mile, that's like African Keyan level

doesnt really make me feel better, but thanks for trying lads

you don't stay consistent for the whole three miles, the first mile will end up being your best while the next will drop.

5 minutes would go to 6, and then later 7 if you werent prepared for the 5k

How long does it take to build endurance?

Need to get 4 miles under 30 minutes for special forces.

doesnt take long, just take mile runs 5 times a week, and run up hills for like 3 months, then you'll hit a 5 minute mile

Splits are 72, 74, 70, 98
You went after it really hard on lap 3.

On paper that doesn't look like "not having a kick". It looks like dying pretty hard at the end.

Most people slow down on the 3rd lap, you really went after it, and that probably cost you.

Next time try consistent 74s.

> you don't stay consistent for the whole three miles, the first mile will end up being your best while the next will drop.

you're describing what people tend to do, not what they should do... right? right?

You shouldn't be running your fastest times in March. keep training hard and you will break 5 in a couple of months time.

What kind of training are you doing?

fwiw here's my training when I ran 4:08 many years ago

M: 40 minutes easy + drills and strides. strides = 5x80m @ 95% effort
T: long tempo. 10 miles hard. my least favourite training session
W: long intervals eg 6x1000m
T: 40 minutes easy + drills and strides
F: day off
S: short intervals eg 4x400 and 4x300
S: long run. about 12 miles

I go really hard in the beginning because of the peer pressure from the guys in the crowd, looking at me like Im ass, but at this point i don't care what they think, ill just try to keep consistent paces like you said

The most miles i've run in a day during a workout was 6, other than that i run miles mostly everyday, with sprinting up hills.

Im making huge improvements to how i was last year,my original goal was to get to a 5 minute mile in the beginning of the year, used to run a 6 minute mile at best. Now that im trying to break 5, everyone is watching and i think each race im disappointing my coach more and more

Make sure you are doing enough training at race pace or faster. You need to get your body used to running fast. You made huge improvements since last year but now your improvement has plateaued. I would guess that your speedwork is not what it should be. You will find thousands of training programs online for the mile and they will all include hard intervals at faster than race pace. This is key.

You need to be able to run 2:30 for 800m comfortably. Which means you need to be able to easily run 70 for 400m and 50 for 300m.
Try running these times in training.

You're miles ahead of me. I polevault and can't imagine how you distance runners feel.

HS senior here.

Broke 5 when I was a freshman
Currently at 4:22

my 5k at the moment is 29 minutes
if I want to bring it to 25, I need to run at a steady pace of 12 km/h.

what is the best strategy to achieve this???

A. Run longer distances at a slower pace
B. Run at 12 km/h for as long as I can, until I can maintain this pace for 25 minutes.

????????????????

help me Veeky Forums

But is it worth being a skelly?

I ran the mile a bit in high school.
You'll always run faster in a competition.
5:14 on your own could probably mean close to 5:00 in a competition if you're able to.

Bump for interest

Run one miles 4 days a week, then run up some hills to raise that endurance and thigh muscle, your thighs are extremely important for running, if they fatigue during a race you either need a strong mind to keep pushing or just die off in the race.

Also on the 5th day, run 6 miles, then rest for 2 days. Don't underestimate hill workouts, you want to sprint up every hill you see during these runs

but I'm not though
Best runners are ottermode

Don't look at time until you're done. Simply keep your head down and run harder than you did last time