Heavyweight fighter's strength

How come many heavyweight fighters can have such an incredible muscle mass with little to no strength training? I was watching a documentary about Mike Tyson, who was ~210lbs in his prime, nothing but pure fucking muscle. All the strength training he (supposedly) did was a lot of situps, pushups and shrugs.

I talked to my jijutsu coach who's around 230 lbs, also nothing but muscle, and he too doesn't do any barbell training.

How do these men get so incredibly strong when they don't lift heavy weights? Does sparring give you strength? Incredible genetics? Please explain this to me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I8aKNunyjpY
youtube.com/watch?v=wBYYUkW4uFA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lying about training and/or steroids.

Roids
Mike Tyson was not extremely strong, he was very quick and powerful.

roids

>"Mike Tyson was not extremely strong"
>210+ lbs at 5'10
>no fat whatsoever
what

>All the strength training he (supposedly) did was a lot of situps, pushups and shrugs.
No

... Da fuq? Tyson wasn't powerful?

The hell is wrong with you?

>5'10
lmao tyson is such a manlet

strength barbell training is the fastest way to gain strength and size, but even less effective methods will add up after actual decades of work
particularly if those decades include one's teenage years.
at 18 I got visible gains by doing sets of 40 pushups, a range that at my age seems absolutely ridiculous.
>also roids

everything he did for several years had the sole purpose of becoming and staying the heavyweight champion. His routine is probably disgusting

read it again nignog

>His routine is probably disgusting
???

It wuz probableee reel hardddd

>can join a local boxing gym for $70 a month
>or a 24 hour powerlifting gym for $30 a month
>can't afford both

Help Veeky Forums I want to learn to box but also get to 1/2/3/4

Probably did a shit ton of bodyweight stuff, way more than just sit ups, push ups, and shrugs.

This

Strength and power aren't the same thing, idiot.

Literally says in his post that Tyson was powerful.

>pay money to get head injuries
i enjoy watching boxing/mma but damn if i'm ever gonna destroy my brain over sport. only reasonable if you have no other qualities or you're borderline retarded to start with

Fair point

The train like what 9 hours? punching a bag, and doing 1000 dips.

>thinks boxing as hobby causes brain injuries

if the people you spar with are full-forced punching you in the skull all the time, you need to find a better gym lol

I don't recall him actually having a weight routine when he was in his prime/growing up -- I know his did in his post-prison years.

Diet and heavybag will add muscle, but they likely also do weights, even if they deny it these days.

I recall Tyson saying, however, "weightlifting has as much to do with boxing as cheesecake," i.e. it won't help your boxing/punching power.

It does idiot.

>loses twice to Holyfield, a guy who lifted all the time

Fields roided harder though.

you don't need to be knocked out on a regular basis to get dumbed down, getting bopped in the head does affect you

claming weightlifting won't help with boxing is so ignorant. sure, the bench press has almost no carry-over to punching power, but a lot of it comes from glutes, hip rotation, core and back, so DLs, power cleans, rows and squats are bound to help.

Kinda related question; what muscles are useful when it comes to punching hard? I know it's mostly technique and whatnot, but muscle must play a big role in how hard you hit.

What kind of lifts/exercises would increase your raw punching power?

Elaborate, idiot.

Tyson had that retard strength

I actually train at a gym run by a dude who used to be an MMA fighter, I'm not really that into it so I never looked him up but he was apparently fairly good at it

He's a fan of lifting heavy, mainly for boosting test but when the topic comes up he never says not to do it. Hell, there's a squat rack in the gym. I'm guessing at some point Tyson did lift but it wasn't the main focus

Just hit a heavybag for power and chop wood, or whatever is the closest to that

Not sure about your martial arts coach, but mike tyson did plenty of strenght training.

Actually he was benching 200lbs when he was 16 if i remember correctly

It's really the twist in your hips that delivers the most power, so probably explosive work that also builds core -- essentially oly lifts. Supplement that with front shoulders and triceps probably

I think precision and technique and just keeping a level head are more important for delivering a strong punch on anything more than like, a car window.

I know it's not the best example (because he was banned for roiding) but mma and boxer actually do strenght training

youtube.com/watch?v=I8aKNunyjpY

youtube.com/watch?v=wBYYUkW4uFA

That claim is based on fact though. Yes lifting can help your strength but because you are larger doesn't mean you will be the heaviest hitter. At a certain point weight lifting has diminishing returns which is why most fighters don't weight train as much as they should.

did Foreman lift? He's the strongest one, also could take a hit

>overeem
might as well link me some fucken Brock Lesnar mate. Humans aren't supposed to look like that, the guy must've roided from the age of 12

>damn if i'm ever gonna destroy my brain over sport.
Then git gud and protect your head.

You're also on Veeky Forums. Not like you got anything better to use it for.

Stop being poor

Man Tyson's fucking crazy, I thiknk he could have won the second fight with Holyfield if didn't go overboard with the ear bites. He was like really fucking pumped like in the early days.

Just punch the heavy bag, you don't need to be that strong to KO someone, just the rigth technique and hit the jaw or a liver punch

Everything for a hook imo.

Probably legs less than everything else, but your back, shoulders, arms, lats, hips, pretty much everything "can" go into it.

Just depends on technique.

You don't need muscles to knockout a big guy, you need timing and technique.

F=MA
If you can't increase your A increase your M

Don't have a choice. The curse of being a grad student

Tyson was the definition of "speed kills", powerful punches is really speed>technique>muscle

then why was he so muscular then? retard

People willing to get into the ring with some of the best punchers in the world and get punched by them for several rounds has a godly amount of testosterone.

No weapons allowed, Prime Tyson is probably the most lethal human to ever exist

That doesn't mean they can lift big weights numb nut.

He was getting bullied by Holyfield both fights. Holyfield wasn't scared of shit

Pussy. Combat is a beautiful art. you can get injured in any physically straining activities. And don't get me started on the potential for permanent joint damage many sports include.
Besides unless you're planning on competing you shouldn't even be worrying about serious head injuries.

several harder hitting heavyweights were slower

>be me, sparring with a mate after uni
>get knocked pretty hard
>feel fine, afterwards go home
>try to study, mind is a blur, can barely read
>start fapping to trap thread
>lose consciousness momentarily as i cum
>clean up and ask mum if i can get dropped to the doctor tomorrow to get my head checked
>lifetime concussions+=1

Boxers do NOT lift weights. Here's the evidence

1. There are boxers on Veeky Forums
2. Everyone knows Veeky Forums doesn't lift

It's fucking science. Can we stop having this argument all the time now?

Sounds like you've been watching too many Tyson highlights on YouTube

Mike was benching 225 for reps at the age of 13, granted he probably floated around the 200 lb mark but that's still very impressive. The guy is just a natural beast.

Boxing gyms have weights usually

>be me boxing
>start friendly figth
>get small insignificant bop in the head
>fall to the ground
>my head hurts
>start screeching
>i feel dumber what is this
>go to the doc
>"sorry user, your iq dropped 20 points"
>fkn concussions
good times

I am 18 and have already had four concussions, none of them were from a fight. Horse riding, biking, climbing, and reenactment did it.

I started boxing two months ago and it's the best thing I've done in the last 2 years. Every day I cant wait to go and it isn't getting dull plus the stuff you learn could help save your ass. Also it boosts your confidence when you know you can kick most people's ass.

This. I'm just gonna train, and do some friendly figths, nothing hardcore.

getting hit in the head won't lead to brain injuries? Are you saying this is false?
Are you retarded?

it's fun if you're not a pussy

nope. He fought at 205 for a long time. No joke.

How does anyone else get to 210 lbs at 10% bodyfat? Hardwork! AND FUCKING STEROIDS!

learn to read.

Why can't you just train to box as a method of self defense? You don't have to compete.

If you never spar hard you didn't learn how to box. I'll spark ya

Why did he have that bald patch for a while?

If you don't go for competitions there's no real risk for injuries. Slight concussions, bruises and strains won't do shit in the long term.
Also I know more people who got seriously hurt while biking or ice skating than during sparring or combat training.

>If you never spar hard you didn't learn how to box.
Pure idiocy.

>Fighters don't do resistance training

I hate this fucking meme.

You've clearly never done Boxing before user

>why most fighters don't weight train as much as they should.
>It has diminishing returns
>They don't lift as much as they should
>No additional benefit
>They should lift more

I think you mean could, user.

Do take note that F=MA is true in the instant of impact. After impact, it's import ant that mass does not get dispersed easily.

In other words, the mass better come from technique, muscle, bone and tendon and not quivering blobs of fat.

>He actually believes this.

not that guy but how else are you gonna get your timing right. not just being able to roll with punches but more importantly getting your own offense going. how do you know you're not just gonna lock up when punches are flying towards you full speed?

Yeah, and Bruce Lee punched faster than the camera could record.

Le ebin bruce lee wuz a rel fiter meme.

>225 for reps at 13

Too heavy for the camera to record, I suppose.

I apologise - I misinterpreted you.

>posting this roidmonkey instead of actual heavyweight champion

>Miocic
>GOAT

Jon is basically a heavyweight anyway, especially these days.

He'd fight in heavyweight division if it was so, but anyway I don't see him getting any further in MMA with his attitude.

He's a total fuck up.

That said, that doesn't take away from the fact that he's the most talented and physically gifted fighter of all time.

>he's the most talented and physically gifted fighter of all time
Arguable, he hasn't been in the sport long enough.

power = speed+strength

What other fighters would you give the nod over him in those categories?

He hasn't been beaten once despite fighting at the championship level for half his career. His reach is freakish, he's one of the best wrestlers in the UFC, an extremely versatile striker, great in the clinch etc...

Of all time? Fedor Emelianenko

In terms of career accomplishments so far, perhaps. As talent? Not a chance.

Fedor was groundbreaking, but he's nowhere near the athlete Jones is.

Also, there's always the miserable strikeforce run to take into account. Fedor was 32 or 33 at the time, IIRC, which is still within relative prime. I think it showed he really didn't keep pace with the progression of the sport and the fact that he ducked top promotions after that point highlights it.

You should be mostly doing technical sparring.

By the same reasoning, how do you know you're not such a retard that you're going to lock up unless a fight is exactly the same, move for move, as practice? If you really find it so hard, maybe it's not for you and you should never do it.

Fedor never failed a drug test tho.

>Slight concussions, bruises and strains won't do shit in the long term.

yeah that's not what literally any neurologist will tell you

There were literally no drug tests in PRIDE, so there's not anything to fail.

He was tested plenty of times by World Anti-Doping Agency in sambo and judo tournaments. World Anti-Doping Agency is way more strict than UFC.

> Slight concussions, bruises and strains won't do shit in the long term.
Objectively false.

Russian athletes were doping and getting away with it for that entire period. You really think Fedor was some kind of exception?

The concept of Fedor being completely clean as PRIDE champion is unlikely. I mean, it's a possibility, but not a particularly likely one.

Ayyy lmao the mental gymnastics