Skele here, can't bench press with confidence, the maximum i can do 5 reps is probably 70lb...

skele here, can't bench press with confidence, the maximum i can do 5 reps is probably 70lb, and there was once whereby i failed and had to get someone to save me, it was embarrassing as fuck.

Since i go to the gym alone and don't have a spotter, can i just fuck the bench press and do DB press instead? It seems like that way i wont need a spotter.

The only problem is that the program i follow always ask to start with big lifts first, then move on to accessories but im having problems with the bench already.

It also doesn't help that literally everyone is fit af and im always the skinniest guy around. always.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/?st=izoda15o&sh=01755b7b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

h-help me guys ;_;

>and there was once whereby i failed and had to get someone to save me, it was embarrassing as fuck.
nothing wrong with it. I have gotten stuck with the bar over my chest twice, another time I helped a guy

Don't be afraid to ask someone nearby to spot, everyone is always willing to help. Or use a smith machine

ask someone to spot you dummy

yeah they might judge you silently for a 70lb bench, but they'll likely help you.

also eat more, a lot more.

also you can do dumbells and pushups until you feel good enough for bench

>i failed and had to get someone to save me,

learn how to fail safely without a spotter.

>judge me
I will literally die user.
So i can just dumbbell press until i feel confident to bench press? it's probably going to take a month but okay.

part of getting fit involves not giving fucks anymore about what other people think. if you're that much of a pussy just do a shitload of pushups at home.

also like said, EAT

Question, im a 6'0 190lb man, i bench 245 but i want to know if pushups will add more mass. Usually do 200 when i do them, and how quickly can i expects gains?

I'm trying to hit 2.7k calories a day, this is what myfitnesspal tells me to do. It's supposingly 250 above my TDEE, should i bump it to 500 above?

Do pushups instead. Start at 20 with no rest between and then add 2 the next day. If you fail you do one less and then continue on. Eat a surplus and beat your face until you can do 70 pushups without stopping.

Then, you'll likely be able to push at least 115 and not look like a dyel at the gym.

Dumbbells are also an option.

Do you do 200 in a row with good form?

Wouldn't that take like fucking long though? I do 40 now without stopping but it seems like to hit 70 without stopping would take freaking long to accomplish.

havent tried, but my bench form is good.

Not really. You should also be doing at least 3 sets until failure. It would also be good to consider doing this 3 times a day, morning afternoon and right before bed.

So should i do this on top of going to the gym?

It wouldn't hurt you to workout more, would it?

I don't know isn't overworking supposed to be bad? Also all of the programme i have seen often say things like maybe 3 or 4 sets of 8-12 reps, but if I'm feeling good can i just keep pushing sets until i can't do 8 reps anymore? Then can i further push by using lighter weights?

Just go bench and stop worrying about other people you fucking pussy

You're not going to be overworking yourself by doing pushups lol.

Considering you're stuck at 70lbs, overworking yourself is the least of your concerns. Did you do any pushups yet?

I did push-ups before going to the gym last time, but it was in sets of 25, and i usually try to hit 4 sets.

I can do 40 absolutely max without stopping. I was referring to the other accessories excersise like curl or lats pulldown, is it bad to overwork them?

>tfw 1.5 years lifting and more time on and off pushups got me from benching only the bar to 88lbs not counting the bar
fucking embarassing. idk if I'm a genetic freak or people here lie saying they got a 100 in 2 months.

Not gonna answer the other things until you do pushups right now. You're only cheating yourself here.

I can't do fucking pushups now I'm in the school library. But I swear when i get home 10 hours later I'm going to punch the fucking floor okay user? I will throw in some planks as well

learn to save yourself under the bar. i sorta roll it to my hips and either stand up with it or set it on the ground and lower the weight from there. i was in your position once, but you have to stick with the BB bench because, ultimately, I believe it's the best lift for chest development.

That's because you didn't do enough pushups. Drop and do 30 right now.

OP, you could consider using the Smith machine, but it will give you a false sense of progression since it takes away some resistance

You fucking better user. Im watching you.

To answer your other question: why would you go to the gym without the express purpose of pushing yourself? If it concerns you so much, do the big 3 first and then do accessories until you're toasted.

Idk i thought i should stick strictly to the program. I followed this as best as i can

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/?st=izoda15o&sh=01755b7b

But most of the accessories are in sets of 4 and 3, but i feel like i can do more sets after some rest. So i should just push more eh in that case.

You know how people tell you to make a schedule, e.g. wake up at 6:00 and eat a good breakfast? It's so you develop a routine that is good for you. It's just a baseline. If you want to wake up at 5:45 so you can do a 10 minute jog that's not prohibited.

Same applies to workout plans: they are a baseline, not a maximum. Some plans are harder than others and you finish the routine clinging for dear life. If you don't feel like you've died on the inside, then you need to do more. The routines are there to get you in the gym and do something productive, it's up to you to take it to the next level.

Okay i get what you mean user. I'm gonna push myself harder then. Thanks user.

I'm going to do the fucking pushups I swear.

If I was a faggot I would be smiling in pride right now.

>Skele as well
>today was the first day in the gym
>benching fucking 88lbs without a problem
How fucking weak are you OP

I'm 5"9 128 lb I'm pretty weak okay.

What i used to do was I would go to a 24 hour gym and I'd just go really late at night and use safeties on the bench. But in reality, it would help you mentally as well if you just stop giving a fuck what people think. You're going to the gym to improve yourself, which is a lot more than other people are doing. Be confident, you'll make it, everyone has to start somewhere.

Getting the bar stuck on me while benching is one of my biggest fears. I also go to the gym alone and i've been doing so for 5 months. I came close to getting stuck a few times, but i would rather break my arm than have people save my ass from under the bar.
I do 5x5 with 225 lbs and every vein in my head shows when finishing the last rep, sometimes takes me 15 seconds to fully lift the bar and i get red as a tomato, but i dont have to get saved from under the bar and draw attention to myself and have everyone watch.

But to answer you questions. No, dont stop benching. Do both bench and dumbells, just stick with it. Everyone starts off weak.

>safeties

The gym i go to is packed, not 24/7 and i have a feeling if i do benches on the squat rack people are gonna hate me.

There was a guy benching 65lbs at my gym yesterday. Nobody cared.

But you noticed user, you noticed.

i remember when i was a noob in the gym and failed on bench and struggled like a huge dyel putting it back up. so embarrassing but like it was forever ago no one cares and i run that gym now so no one will be talking shit or theyll get hit

after 2-3 weeks you shouldn't need a spotter on light weight (anything under 2 pl8)

What is a pl8? Serious question.

its those round metal things you put on the end of the bar

Oh but when people meant pl8 how much weight are we talking.

45 lbs

user if i can bench 134 lbs i wouldn't be so fucking depressed

thats a nice pepe

Then when you Bench, don't use clips. If you can't get it all the way up and you're actually in trouble you can just dump the weight on each side.

keep working at it. i got to 1 pl8 pretty quick. getting to 2 pl8 is 10x harder

Learning how to do the roll of shame is a life-saver. You must learn it if you're benching without a spotter.

I decided i might just stick to dumbbell chest press and flyers for now until i gain enough strength.

I'm only doing chest press with 22 lb dumbbells so maybe if i can progress to 30 lb i might be able to stand a chance with the bar.

So uh.. is this a legit plan?

this. but if your gym doesnt have a smiths, you can just start off super light and add a couple more lb every time you do it. it takes time to make progress OP, dont give up and for fucks sake make sure youre eating right or its all for nothing anyway

unfortunately hes not going to make it

Dont worry man keep at it and eat a fucktone more, i used to be in your place like 2 years ago i was 6'3 and like 145 lbs since then i fucked up and gave up couple of times but lately i have started doing well and through the last year ive gained 30 lbs and started lifting a lot more, just make sure you eat a lot otherwise your progress will be slow and you will give up

Oh damn why user.

Started with the bar only and im currently at 85kg after 1,5 years of lifting. Keep going at it, progress takes time

We're ALL going to fucking make it brahs.

I heard people said that the Smith machine is literally the devil's spawn and it fucks up your shoulders or some shit and never to use it...?

>can't lift shit
>still picks on anyone who is weaker
Cool shit bro, you just like putting people down, don't you. It's hard to ask for help when you're weak, OP has my respect. But people like you I despise. Fuck off.
Pushups are a good alternative. I would do both. Just keep at it and eat a lot. You will get stronger.
And anybody who's making fun of you is an asshole. We all gotta start somewhere.

because you were doing push-ups and not benching.

bodyweight exercises can only make you so big if you weight 120lbs

About that eat a lot part, do i literally have to eat a lot? Like my TDEE would be 2.4k so do i eat 500 above it? What if i eat more than that?

>But people like you I despise
>getting this mad
Lmao
Trust me if I knew OP I'd be his best bro but this is the internet so let me be a cunt you retarded nigger.

Don't think getting fat is a big concern, so just eat my man. If your food is good and you eat over your TDEE you'll make gains. It really isn't that complicated.
>literally admitting to being a keyboardwarrior
Let peace flow through you brah, you too can make it.

nah I benched almost everyday. I meant that when I wasnt going to the gym I was still doing push ups.

Yeah but he didn't care. If anything he understood because nobody starts off super fucking strong.

Then you didn't eat enough to gain mass.

Don't be scared of asking for a spot, it isn't something you should be scared of at all.

What I hate about public gyms is having to wait to use the 1 bench or 1 squat rack in the whole place. That's why I got a home gym

Do some decline push ups.

Yes, by a combination of benching next to him, not being blind and him not wearing a cloak of invisibility. I didn't care. If you go out in public people are gonna notice you, no way around that.
If he'd asked me for advice I would happily have given him some.

i failed 30kg bench
i can do 110 just fine now

Do dips

You are probably weak af so view this as your strength work

Then use a chest press machine at higher reps , remember to pinch your shoulder blades together and roll them down like you are benching for real

Eventually when you grow your balls back from the roll of shame experience just start benching again, maybe with dumbbells if you rly are a fgt with some kind of roll of shame phobia

>>judge me
>I will literally die user.
then kill yourself faggot, everyone is judging you 100% of the time for being a scrawny piece of shit who can't even ask for a spot

any judging would just be "oh that guy is new"

>tfw skele
>tfw scared of being bullied by chads

I wish the weight room didn't open so late... I just wanted to workout with the grandmas

A-any advice for a newcomer...? I don't want to be bullied for benching 85 at 19...

Keep benching but with maybe 55-60 pounds and like 10 reps so you don't fail and go heavy on db press. I'm quite small (5'6) but after 2 months at the gym I could barely bench 50 pounds. I'm by no means strong but I can bench 140 pounds now 7 months later. Just keep going op

EAT
MORE,
FAGGOT
You're weak because you're small, you're small because you don't eat, you don't eat because you're a faggot. If you eat enough your lifts will go up accordingly. Also ask someone for a spot next time you retard

Don't listen to them. The Smith machine has its uses but bench pressing isn't one of them

This is literally the only thing you will ever need to read as a skelly.

Because you're super strong right? Shut the fuck up dyel, you have no right to talk

Eat more, sleep more, masturbate less. Don't skeet your gains out.

Eat more. I started where you are. 145lbs 5' 11''. I ate a fuck ton and made it to an okay bench before I went to snap city for a couple months.

just don't put the clamps on the ends, then you can flip the barbell and let the weights fall off on one side and get out.

TDEE calculators are often way off, the number it gives is just a starting point, you have to adjust up or down according to the weight gain you see weekly.
When you're seriously bulking there's no limit to how much you can eat, don't be afraid to eat more.

havent read any replies here but when I first started lifting I could bench less than you and also had no spot. i started at about 20lb dbs on the bench and worked my way up until i could do 40s with ease. then it took me about 5!months to
go from 3x8 95 lbs on bench press to 3x8 135lbs no problem. now i can do 8 reps of 185 lbs without breaking a sweat. just keep lifting and realize everyone is there for the same reason as you.

When I first started I was benching 65 and some dude walked past and said "65 pounds, dude, seriously?"

And my first thought was "wow why was I so worried about this happening, that wasnt so bad" followed by "someday im gonna walk in here and be bigger than that guy and I'm not even gonna say anything to him"

Also his gf looked like a dude so that kinda helped. The point is even if someone does give you shit it's not gonna emotionally cripple you, so don't stress about the other people in the gym