Anyone here actually involved in sports?

Anyone here actually involved in sports?

If not, why?

If yes, what is it and how has lifting improved your ability in said sport?

>powerlifters need not comment

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jM6EVgu7CL0
youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE
strawpoll.me/12622727
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Anyone here actually involved in sports?
Weightlifting
>If yes, what is it and how has lifting improved your ability in said sport?
Able to lift more weight

yeah I compete in powerlifting.
>If yes, what is it and how has lifting improved your ability in said sport?
better total

>"sport"

Yes
Rowing
Better anaerobic power although overall very little effect from lifting. It's much more aerobic than people realise

I think OP was going for real sports.

>weightlifting
>not a sport
youtube.com/watch?v=jM6EVgu7CL0

I play beach volleyball to show off my gains

Before this thread gets bombarded with autists.

Weightlifting is not a real sport. You can only somewhat comment if you actually compete.

Muay thai, might start some grappling soon as well.

isn't javelin throw a sport either?

Fuck how come grapplers (bjj,judoka included) are so thicc is they do lots of cardio/conditioning??

Rugby

I can give and receive hits more effectively and safely

I don't like considering it sports if it doesn't have matches that consist of direct conflict. Bodybuilding or powerlifting, for example. Or even gymnastics. Not so much powerlifting, but all the activities I brought up usually lack the objectivity of winning that is present in, say, volleyball or karate.

You can do more than one thing.

Fighters are proof positive that "cardio kills gainz" is a baseless meme.

Muay Thai 3 years

Since starting I've pretty much stopped all bodybuilding splits and focus more strength/explosiveness.

Lifts have all gone up substantially and cardio is the best it's ever been. I'm about 185 lbs but I throw around the 200+ people. That sport and sport specific training has really changed my outlook on training.

Doing judo my whole life , playing football(soccer) for 2 years
Judo and weightlifting go together, it's pretty clear, and in football it enables me to throw skinny sunday league ronaldos out of the sidelines

Lacrosse
I'm a goalie, and the technique for stepping to a save involves fast explosive steps (a lunge basically) so squats have helped with that.
Upper body strength has helped with my clearing cause I can get it most of the way up the pitch

Whats your routine like? I do Thai as well and have done splits for mass but I wanted to focus on strength and explosiveness for Thai.
Any tips

Modified C6W

literally in the olympic games

What did you change about it?

So is a lot of other retarded shit.
Weightlifting is fat autists feeling special.
The OWL movements are better, as they require more technique, but still autistic.

>weightlifting
>fat autists
only in super heavyweight
but what makes weightlifting less of a sport than let's say 100 metres?

Sprint kayaker, I don't really know I only lift for my sport. It is an essential part of my training program though

>implying an activity where judges give you points is a sport.

You might as well be doing male duo figure skating

I'm a powerlifter too. Powerlifting and weightlifting are way more deserving of the name 'sport' than any martial art that assigns points for anything other than a knockout.

Martial arts are a joke and they are barely a step above tae bo.

Water polo mostly
Lifting has made me sink like a fucking rock when I'm sitting still, and I get caught/targeted more for fouls and underwater shit that the dyels can get away with. On the other hand, no one wants to guard me

All compounds and Olympic lifts. minimal accessories work.

1-3 reps, keep volume decent 6-8 sets.
Keep progressive overload. When you stall increase cals.

I prefer front squat over back because of the core work. Strong core will increase all your strikes.

Don't lift on days you train Thai. I've done it and while it's do-able, you'll struggle with any new PR's.

Hope this helps and train hard

Thanks I felt like I wanted to shift what my focus was and what I was doing felt stagnant anyway. Look forward to trying this out.

Are you serious?

Martial arts are literally the epitome of sports. Two men versus each other, only one winner.
It doesn't get more competitive than that.

A lot of the Brazilians are on steroids

BJJ here,
pretty new to weight lifting but having more strength really helps with smashing out submissions and escaping for sticky spots

Volleyball here, lifting helped me a lot with my vertical jump and explosiveness needed on defence. Generally hitting the ball harder too is nice

Triple jumper here

Front squats and RDLs gave me mad jump gains

yeah brah, rugby
i have power now
thanks ripletits (legs

I play Hurling (see video). Lifting helps as I play defense and can body people with my stout stature.

youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE

This is true, but I'm not sure if the pic is a roidzilian

You just explained what not to do if you want to be good at BJJ

i wrestled but i fucked up my knee senior year.

now i do no gi bjj

getting stronger helped me work from the clinch

and in bjj i get raped by stocky manlets.

I box, lifting helps you hit harder defs

>using a webm of someone who doesnt consider powerlifting a sport

I wrestle, I moved from 130 to 145 and the challenge of larger opponents means that it's harder for me to execute moves successfully but I rarely botch moves now on slightly better wrestlers.

Also when we do cardio at the end of practice I sprint faster and don't get that deep fatigue that makes you want to die I ju st stop functioning quickly when I'm gassed

Wrestling all throughout middle school and high school, won a state championship my senior year. Wrestling was the only thing that disciplined me

Most of them are manlets so they carry their weight like pic related.

Slash the assistance volume, add more power/strength oriented secondary exercises.

Example : i do banded GHR and hip thrust for lower day assist instead of leg curls/extension and explosive push ups/cable upright row/jammer machine press instead of curls

I used to wrestle. I wasn't very bad. Was on a traditionally high ranking high school team and I won about half my matches. Then I did parkour. One flip was all it took to rip a tendon off of its attachment on my tibia. Now I can't support weight on it past a ninety degree bend. And that's why I don't do sports

every non-dyel fighter in the ufc is on TRT

>Lacrosse
Nice!
>Goalie
I subbed for our goalie one game and gained a new respect for them, usually playing D-pole

Looks interesting. How do you like the sport Paddy?

Lots of Irish on the team but I'm American. Super fun once you get the basics down.

I'm a weightlifter. Participating at a meet this weekend, will be my third since january.

Lifting improves by literally getting me stronger in the lifts.

I played hockey for years, is there any crossover? I'd like to give it a try.

And what do you do? Bodybuilding?

Are you an retard??

Yeah, as if the others aren't too...

hockey goalie here. lifting has made everything way easier. tons of fast explosive bursts and quick direction changes require strong legs and good balance

I play hockey at a reasonable level, lifting made me quite a bit faster over short distances, i went from a slower than average player to one of the fastest on my team, I hugely improved my overhead, and I'm about ten kilograms up on where I started, which makes bullying people easier on the field

Also do weightlifting, but lifting weights is pretty much the way you improve your total

I find that agility work improves my agility much more effectively than lifting, explosiveness yes lifting definitely made a big difference, but changes in direction not so much

Judoka checking in. Lifting weights helps me lift people. It's a good combination. Would recommend.

True, more agility work would certainly help. Though I haven't lost any speed since my dyel playing days, the added strength has given me more control over my bursts, allowing for an easier quick change in direction when necessary

>tfw weightlifter
>there are DYEL autistic virgins on this board that say weightlifting isn't a sport
>they probably can't even snatch 1pl8
>probably can't even front squat properly
>probably don't even lift

Oh no my feelings are hurt

Do you actually lift? I saw a chart with data gathered from multiple boards, including Veeky Forums. Our BMI was higher than /pol/'s, fucking pathetic. How many people on this board actually have a weekly lifting routine?

pin unrelated

Rugby league and rugby union
Better hip drahve

strawpoll.me/12622727

>usinh BMI to deduce one's fitness level

>usinh
At least I'm literate

If you want to work the core without sacrificing back squat, just do heavy rack holds

Guys with muscle have high bmi you tard

>If not, why
Not in school so no built in community for it. Used to play tennis.

Fighting sports cost money and I'm a NEET.

Also I have gyno which I've made peace with personally but would be too embarassing to wear spandex or tight fitting clothes with despite my level of swole.

>projection

>Powerlifting and weightlifting are way more deserving of the name 'sport' than any martial art that assigns points for anything other than a knockout.

Does it make you feel like less of a man knowing that people in actual sports do your "sport" as a supplement?

I race bikes

CX and Track Cat 3.

Lift for a lot of reasons. Basically a good way to unfuck your body from a lot of falls and turn yourself inside out level efforts racing bikes then gain more power for the summer.

Use to. Got sick of the competitiveness, and playing being about the wins over funs.

Also had a gains goblin at the time, and "felt" like I wanted to spend more time with her.
God I wish I had stuck with it.

You can always go back, I'm 29 and I still play by sport

I play college soccer AMA

>what is it
wrestling and jiu jitsu

>how has lifting improved your ability in said sport?
You need to be strong, explosive, and have a good cardio tank in order to compete. That's the reason why you'll see a lot of jiu jitsu guys and girls hop on the crossfit wagon

Explosive yes, strong no

Damn I want to look like this

how does it feel to lose to the guy who was in the back blowing the judge before the match for more points?

Plus, people run to train for other sports, but running was one of the original 2 sports in the first Olympics. The fact that people use it to train doesn't make it any less of a sport.

bro you might as well be figure skating. You get assigned points and at the end they tally it up. Just switch to gymnastics. Its just as much of a sport and then you'll actually have an audience in the olympics

American football.

It helped set a good baseline to my lifting days, works well together since throwing around dudes is more or less the same as throwing around barbells.

Diddly4ever

>american handegg

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

Table tennis and chess

I guess i can hit smashes better ?
For chess i look intimidating to my competitors.

I rowed in college. We lifted twice a week which helped build up power but probably 70% of water gains came from endurance training.

Jiu jitsu.

I find it hard to lift more than once a week. Joints are thrashed. It's nice being strong but it doesn't help as much as you'd think especially if you're deliberately working on technique.

People like these is why BJJ in USA are literal cancerfest

Muay Thai is not a sport. Kick boxing is a sport, mma is a sport, but there is no imtf/fimta.

I played volleyball in highschool and I'd like to get back into it but trying to get in shape first so at the moment I don't play any sports.

>doesnt know OWL and weightlifitng are the same thing but OWL is simply doen in the olympics
dyel?

it is a sport.... Fucking pleb

Yeah I play chess

I paddle on a dragon boat team. Crew is full of strong as fuck Asian guys. Definitely a sport that requires lifting

Bjj and it hasnt helped too much mayve a bit with mobility and moving my own bodyweight. Im 6 foot 185 tho so not like fat or anything. If anything id say jiu jitsu and lifting dont really go well together bc of injuries

I played rugby for 3 years then took 2 years off, now I've been lifting for ~5 months (and cardio as of a month ago) getting ready for the summer season.

I didn't lift when I played in HS I was just kinda fat so I won't know how much carry over it has had until I start. I'm a forward though so I suspect it'll help in the rucks and scrums to have a stronger back, core, and legs than when I played before

Why is the judge a hamplanet?