Fasting bros: get in here!

Fasting bros: get in here!

I started IF 16/8 a few months ago. Been liking the feeling of fasted cardio. I decided to start doing longer fasting. Just hit 24 hours kf what I plan to be a 48 hour fast.

Anh tips or comments? Let's hear experiences.

i was in a 16/8 without knowing about this, lost a lot of weight

now i'm unemployed and fat again, but i'm trying start to do something

I can't imagine a longer fast being good for your gains. I did it with carb cycling way back when and it got me shredded but the fasting could have just been me better managing my intake, haven't tried it again

I've heard that 24-hour+ fasting can help your body burn off extra, unneeded cells such as flabby skin and "excess protein" (such as the kind that accumulates in the brain causing alshimers[sp?]).

Thoughts?

I feel like if youre getting your daily vitamins minerals and sodium and youre fat your body has everything you need to keep you going through a few days of fasting.

I typically do a 22/2 daily, moving my window according to the following days work out time. I usually go to the gym at your 16 and take a bunch of yohimbine hcl before lifting and some light cardio. Works pretty well. The fasting keeps me from binging really hard although I did slip on Sunday and eat a whole bag of honey-o candy.

Curious: are you currently cutting or maintaining?

i really like IF

I feel way more energetic. Feels like I'm not dealing with the lethargy that comes from digesting a ton of food. I include a lot of fiber to reduce hunger while fasting.

theoretically yes, being fasted promotes autophagy

the extent of which remains unforeseen.

i would hold off on calling fasting 'the cure to loose skin'

Good point, i dont want anyone on this board gettjng the wrong idea. It just makes sense, i mean everyone is so bothered by the idea of "burning muscle" but youre going to be burning a lot of extra shit when youre not eating

i mean i know what you're referring to, it's those videos by Dr Fung where he states his practice gives no referrals to plastic surgeons for abdominoplasties because fasting prevents loose skin.

and he rationalises it by saying auschwitz survivors didnt't have loose skins/neither did pow camp survivors ergo fasting may cause protein matrixes in 'loose skin' to be broken down.

but i mean .. remains unforeseen.

How can you get your protein requirements in 2 hours?

bruh the protein requirements aren't nearly anywhere as high as Veeky Forums would have you believe

if you think you actually need 300g of protein per day .. then just .. bruh ..

Not that guy but i have run this schedule before:
>>Protein powder + milk + peanut butt
>>Fuckton of shredded chicken + curry seasoning + whole yogurt
>>multiple cans of tuna

No but even if you went by 1 gram per pound of lean mass, for me that would be 160+. Thats the equivelant of 7 chicken breasts. I know there are other protein options but just for the sake of how much food that still is in 2 hours is insane. Although after all thesr years i still dont know what the consensus is on protein requirements

Keep in mind if you're fasting you're probably not pushing yourself at lifting every day. You'll probably spend more time doing light cardio.

i dont know if you guys have never fasted before but it makes virtually no difference on energy for the gym

*for you*

Just started a program last week where I completely fast on Mon & Wed and do IF 16-8 on Thurs, Fri & Sat. Last week I was up to about 40 hours fasted and wasn't even hungry but forced myself to eat.

The weirdest thing happens to me when I'm fasted where I'll experience a heightened sense of smell. Anyone else have this?

Guys, does IF kill your strength gains?

7 chicken breasts is not hard to eat at all. Just boring

In 2 hours?

do **any** research on the topic, and read **any** testimonials of people who train fasted.

common theme?

"i was surprised at how not hungry I was & how much energy I had"

Fasting makes your cells better at consuming macronutrients because it helps insulin sensitivity. I weight around 170 and i eat around 110-130g on protein a day and im making strenght gains

I eat that daily and its super easy.
Just fry 400g of chicken breast and some veggies, bam 120g of protons

Eat some protons for breakfast/dinner too and youre golden. I srsly don't see whats hard.

>Doctor who gets paid to give speeches makes claims that seem unbelievable in his speeches

huh... really jiggled my jelly

Yes, especially for baking bread

Yeah I was surprised too. My eating window is 1pm-8pm, and I train at 8am, but I feel great and not hungry at all when I'm training.

idiot

>tfw been on IF my whole life because I don't like breakfast food like pancakes and scrambled eggs, ect.

Most my life I just haven't eaten my first meal til about 12-2 and dinner is 6-8 at the lastest, then beddy bye time.

and i'm guessing you've always been lean af too?

So I'm new to fasting but I watched some of Dr. Fung's videos. So as long as you pack in your TDEE of calories in your feeding window you won't slow down your metabolism, right? He used that Biggest Loser example in one of the vids about calorie restricted diets.

Help me brehs, I'm a 185 pound manlet...

as you lose weight on IF you'll still lower your metabolism, but not nearly as much as normal.

lmao if you're not fasting
lmao if you're not permacuting

>I don't like breakfast food like pancakes

Pancakes, waffles, fried chicken; everything is a breakfast food in 'murica.

IF does not kill strength gains (from experience). Idk about longer term fasting though.

Did you forget what thread you're posting in?

I IF 17/7 everyday and my workout consists of running 4 miles a day with 15 minutes of stairsteppers included after that. IF allows me to become shredded and lean. I'm currently weighing in at 163 and no matter what I do with my arms or legs, the veins will robustly pop out. In terms of strength and mass, It will not deteriorate your strength; however your gains will suffer quite a bit unless you can get a solid source of protein in after the gym.

I don't see how fasting that long could possibly allow you to retain muscle mass too. And you certainly wouldn't be lifting those days I assume. I guess it's a trade-off between slightly faster fat loss and muscle retention.

>wake up
>drink some bulletproof coffee
>about an hour afterwards take yohimbine
>do cardio, usually biking to class or something
>don't eat anything else until until late in the evening
>low/no carbs

Feels good man, I'm slowly becoming less of a slave to hunger and cravings

I never really bought into it till last week when a friend of mine visited and told me about his experiences. 6'3 from 240 to 220, jacked

>started eating between 15.00-23.00
>was not hard at all
>started reducing the window
>already felt way leaner
>dropped a few kilos while still getting stronger in the gym
>ate a oats/yogurt/banana smoothie + coffee to break the fast, then go to the gym
>eat a big meal after gym around and be done for the day

you get used to not eating very quickly. I drink a lot of coffee and, unfortunately, smoke quite a lot. That suppresses the hunger to the point where I actually dont feel like eating that day at all. after 18-20hours of fasting you are not hungry at all. Ill do 24hour fast next week on a non-training day to see how it is.

Benefits
>got mired and looked at way more than usual
>face has become noticably leaner
>more focused and clear-headed
>saving A LOT of time (buying, preparing, cooking food, eating, cleaning up etc. never realized how much time you waste when you eat multiple times a day
>I buy less food since I dont snack or eat smaller meals like I used to
>went to parties but didnt drink after my feasting window closed, so in a way it made me more disciplined

Really pissed at myself for not trying it earlier. All I can say is that it works amazingly for my friend and it seems to be working for me

downside
I ate so much volume-wise yesterday that I was in actual pain for around one hour. Obviously thats my fault and not IF, but it should be noted still.

If you are unsure, just give it a try. Skip breakfast and lunch, drink more coffee and just see how you feel. The initial hunger pangs subside very quickly and after you get used to it, you feel great.
As for the fatties without self-control, another advantage about IF is that is not something you have to do but rather something you do not do. Very simple and easy to implement

Does anybody here have problems with their fasted workout where they feel like they're gonna pass out? Towards the end of my workouts this has started to happen almost everyday. Ill start to feel dizzy, and like im going to puke.

Dont want to stop fasting since it works well for me but idk what else to do

>I ate so much volume-wise yesterday that I was in actual pain for around one hour.

this is why i like doing IF with Keto, since when you do eat you get all your calories and satiety on a much lower physical amount of food

Yeah Ive been wanting to try that, at least on non-lifting days. I did keto a few years ago for three weeks, but went drinking and almost died. Keto works for me but is too restrictive in terms of what you can eat. Keto year round is something I have no interest in, I love to cook too much for that. Denying yourself things like that will make you miserable in the long run.
With IF I can eat great food every once in a while and still reap the benefits of fasting.

you could eat something small just before lifting and then eat a big meal as soon as you get home. you'd still get the benefits of fasting

depends. If it contains carbohydrates, it breaks the fast.

In fifteen minutes

thats funny, Keto being so restrictive is the reason it works for me, since it's easier to outright say no to bread, pasta, junk food, etc. etc. than it is to moderate it into my diet

>it's amazing, my muscles being completely glycogen depleted has 0 effect on my lifts!

bull fucking shit

and yeah I've tried IF and fasted lifting, and it's shit

you could do that same restriction (no bread, pasta, cake, sugar, etc) without doing keto (still eating sweet potatoes, nuts, fruit) so you can still actually lift and not feel like you're torturing yourself

Isnt this shit just as much of a meme as keto?

yes, or protein. but if that guy is having trouble with fasted training, he can still do something like 20:4, breaking the fast with the small meal and then having a big post-workout meal.

It works for me. Try and find out, just skip breakfast and lunch. No need to deny yourself of food you like, just eat it in a given time frame. I was skeptical at first, but it works for me. There is no be all, end all. Find out what your body reacts to well and keep doing that.

it's keto but better. both of them work by lowering your fasting insulin level. IF does it better.

of course, combining the two is the best method.

Yes, thats what I do as well. 20:4 works well for me. If user you replied to is new to it, start with 16:8 and progress from that on

that pic is hilarous

Eh, I used to eat those things and I really don't miss them. Doesn't feel like "torture" at all, honestly

I only eat once a day. But I feel full even four or five hours after I eat. So to this of you say you're o. 20:2, can your food really be digested in two hours ? How long g does it take for a 2000 calories meal to be digested when eaten at once

Try drinking water with electrolytes or some kind of sodium drink.

The 20h window does not indicate when the fast starts, but when you stop eating. Ketosis does not start after 15-16 hours or so.
Also, depends on what you eat. With lots of carbs I get hungry quicker than if I only eat fats + proteins

During last summer I did "intermittent fasting" accidentally by having a shitty sleep schedule and being all around lazy, eating 1 big fast food meal a day.
It was amazing, i dropped from 215 lbs to 180 lbs in those 3-4 months.
After that I started lifting and eating my daily intake + 500.
>6"1
>186lbs
>BF % 17-21 (not sure)
>been doing this for about 2 months so not much muscle yet.

Ignore the 15-16 hours. Starts when your glucose levels are depleted

i've been on IF for a few years now, been experimenting some more with fasting last year, did 14 days water fast, and it was so easy because i was already in ketosis so the transition was easy and the whole ride was pretty smooth, did i lose some muscle/strength during that time ? sure, but i wasn't working out for the entire fast duration at all, i figure if you incorporate some light workouts you'll lose less, also after the initial water weight the weight loss was 0,3 kg / day. Would i recommend fasting ? if you don't mind a bit of strength/muscle loss then sure especially if you're fat as fatass, if you're already pretty lean extended fasting might not be the way for you

p.s also been doing ADF since jan this year, but im not liking it and the results are a mixed bag so ill be going back to regular IF soon-ish

On regular days, how long do you fast usually? While a week initially seems crazy, after a while your hunger is gone completely.
Care share any other observations you've had? Struggles, benefits, what kind of diet, lifting routine and strength levels?

I'm 2 weeks into intermittent fasting. I do a 16/8 fast and drink only espresso, green tea and water during the fast.

I've found it helps me better control my meals and what I eat. When I learned about IF I also learned about nutrition in general so I've been eating a lot more fat and protein and restricting my carbs to 1 cup spring salad mix
>3 hard boiled eggs
>1/2 avocado
>1 tbsp olive oil
>2 oz monterey jack cheese
>1/4 cup almonds

Roughly 850 calories, should account for 1/3 of my daily intake ;-)

normally during IF im doing 16/8 - 18/6 depending on various life stuff
on ADF im doing 12/36 - 8/40 also depending on how my day's going
fasting works with any diet but i found that low carb or keto works better FOR ME personally, atm diet is pretty much somewhat keto, under 50g net carbs daily,
routine is 5/3/1
strength atm is 70kg ohp, 100kg bench, 110kg squat, 190kg deadlift @ 85kg bw 181cm height

Will IF help me limit bodyfat increase while bulking assuming that my macros are on point?

yes - the lower the insulin, the less chance of fat gain

cut out processed carbs for even less chance of fat gain

how lean are you? thanks for sharing, the OHP is impressive.

what's with the squat though

Been doing IF properly for atleast 2 weeks now and i really like it. 12pm - 8pm. you can really feel the fat burning in your stomach before bed time. But its sometimes hard to fight those cravings you get in bed . especially when you smoke weed

going to sleep and then not eating breakfast wont deplete glycogen from your muscles

aside from the lower stomach im pretty lean, veins popping everywhere, just that stomach pouch doesn't want to go away, visible 4 pack, i'd estimate ~14%, various online calcs put me anywhere from 11 to 14%

long femurs, short torso and hitting atg always

oh and I should probably mention i've been doing IF for over 2 years now. I don't track my macros and I fast for 20 hours or more each day. I've been recomping (basically I eat a shitload, 5k cals probably in 2-4 hours) and every time I get a little leaner I weigh myself and im still 230.

Living with major stoners and having access to top notch weed is not helping me, but IF + lifting really decreased my urge to get high all the time. Especially since weed before bed really fucks up your gains, it disrupting your REM sleep and thus fucking up your recovery

>Especially since weed before bed really fucks up your gains

wait what

I have the best sleep on my life when smoking weed before bed

Was working yesterday in Berlin as a waiter, got a break and ate lots of grilled food.
Now I am fasting till tomorrow evening and then eat some food.
I lost lots of weight and gained small amounts of strength like that.

I did a 48 hour fast a couple months ago, just to see if I could. Felt pretty good, I felt really "clean" and lean

My eating schedule is 47:1. It feels pretty nice after a while.

Sure but can you remember your dreams? And if you smoke everyday for a prolonged time and quit, are your dreams really intense? if so, thats your body catching up on the disrupted REM sleep cycles weed kept you from having.
If you smoke a ton and wake up groggy the next morning, thats because your sleep was affected. I love smoking as well but deluding yourself into thinking it makes for good sleep is not gonna help you in the long run

I can yes. But I don't dream much anyway and I dont smoke much weed aswell - Maybe 1 time per Month

You're also hardly the kind of person whose consumption would affect any gains

Probably. But I feel very "lazy" the next day. Thats why I only use it on weekends, mostly saturday