Deadlift form

I've been doing deadlifts like the guy in the pic is doing for forever, but apparently it's not the standard form or something and I've seen a lot of lifters not bending their knees as much, is there a big difference between this and the half-bent knees deadlift I've seen some people do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NYN3UGCYisk
youtube.com/user/TheAlphaDestiny
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

seems fine to me

ignorw ego lifters who use weird form to boost their numbers

They'll be in this thread complaining in 3...2...1...

I think going down more rather than having a more horizontal back angle leads to more recruitment of the hamstrings during the pull up rather than toasting your back

That looks like the ideal beginning and ending positions for a standard deadlift to me.

What about deadlifts like these?

Try doing them and see if it's better desu

Probably gives more back action.

Depends on anthropometry, the guy in the picture has shit deadlift leverages
It puts the bar way too far in front actually and he has to use significantly more back to actually lock out.

I used to deadlift like that, it's wrong.

That's more of a squat from the floor than a deadlift.

Look up alan thrall's videos on deadlifts.

shoulders should be over the bar. When people deadlift like that usually their shoulders are behind the bar.

Depends on your limb length

I think that's what they call a "sumo" deadlift, it's harder than a normal one desu

That's not at all what a sumo deadlift is.

Jesus Christ OP ignore the comments and go somewhere like PLG.

Keep your weight midfoot/heel.
Hinge at the hips as much as possible and you'll feel the tension in your hamstrings.

The guy in the pic looks like his shoulders are too far back (because he squat down) and not hinging enough.

/plg/ here, this was my post The guy in the pic should probably pull sumo.

Doesnt matter as long as your hamstrings are activated and ready to work. Do you know the feeling when your hamstrings are activated ?

I think so, it's kind of like when your almonds are activated right?

Veeky Forums tell me once and for all - does the weight touch the ground each rep?

Right one is pretty much perfect form

YES

But don't you dare bounce it you faggot

wtf I hate bouncing on barbells now

It's called dead lift because you lift it from dead position each time.
Honestly, they should make people take some kind of test before they're allowed to post on Veeky Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=NYN3UGCYisk

>Regular deadlifts
Hinge using your hips, you should feel tension in your hamstring.
you dont need to bend your knees as much as pic related, a more horizontal back is fine like right inDeadstop on the ground every rep, dont bounce it

>Romanian
start from the top of the deadlift, bend down as if you were finishing a regular deadlift but try to keep the tension in your hamsrings and back. Dont hit the ground, then use butt drive to bring the bar back up. that is one rep

I deadlift from the position i start my cleans from. "Bottom up" position as Kelly Starrett would call it, instead of "top-down".

Both are good and have different purposes. The only bad deadlift starting positions i can think of are sumo or anything using mixed grip.

He has a good one on the SS method of getting into position, but the actual SS channel deadlift playlist is much better.

Why do lots of programs for DL for 1x5?
I don't feel like I get shit done just by doing 5 reps. If I actually go heavier to the point where I can only do 5 reps my form goes to shit and back starts arching.

Just look rippetoe vids in youtube, deadlifts are easy as fuck with his method.

To account for the fact that noobs (most likely) have absolute shit work capacity, which is what you are absolutely demonstrating from the fact that you can't do more than one (1) challenging set before shitting yourself.

wrong. it's because these programs have you deadlifting heavy 1-2 times a week and squatting heavy 3 times a week. people have more than enough work capacity to do more sets of deadlifts, but they can't recover fast enough if they do.

>people have more than enough work capacity to do more sets of deadlifts, but they can't recover fast enough if they do.
i.e. they have no work capacity. Work capacity = How much work can you do, not just in a session but on a weekly or monthly basis.

it's not the issue. you can take an advanced lifter and have him try the same setup and it wouldn't work at all. the problem is that you're trying to set PRs 3 times a week, every week. the only way you can do that is by doing as little as possible while still making progress. the problem is the high intensity and rapid progress

Ah true, true. I keep forgetting about the whole linear progression thing.

Your don't warm up sets prior to attempting a work set of 5, right? That could well explain your problem. I do:

2x5 just the bar, to stretch the hamstrings and get in the groove of the form
1x3 at 50% of my working set weight
1x2 at 70%
Finally, 1x5 of the full work set weight. It feels like plenty by the time I'm done.

I do few power cleans and 1x5 50% for warm up.
I'll try your approach next time

if you have trouble breaking off the floor, focus on keeping your ass down

if you have trouble locking out, focus on pulling backwards instead of upwards after you break the floor

>doing deadlifts
Just do rack pulls, and bang black asses XD
also hey guys I just found this really good fitness channel called "alpha destiny", check this out and subscribe
youtube.com/user/TheAlphaDestiny

I struggled with deadlifts for long time, but finally had revelation.

There are 2 stages:
>1st from ground to your knees
>you push with your legs
>the angle between your back and the ground doesn't change
>the bar goes straight up

>2nd from knees to waist
>you push your legs behind you
>back is still straight but the angle changes

lanklets are NOT alpha