StrongLifts 5x5

I've been doing strong lifts 5x5 for about a month now (stronglifts.com/5x5/) and I've been happy in that I've been constantly increasing my lifts in squat/dead/bench/OHP/Bent row.

However, my express goal is to put on lean muscle mass (no shit right) and I'm wondering if this is the best way to do it? Is there a better way to do it?

I saw on on stronglifts.com/5x5/ that you're projected to gain 24 lbs over the course of a year, though I know it's possible to gain 52 over a year, and I would clearly prefer this if possible.

Though I'm pretty inexperienced, I'm not a total newbie and am familiar with most lifts w/ proper form.

Thoughts?

>5’10”, 137lbs

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!du4jgKqQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

From what I've read here, strong lifts is pretty good, though I've seen people say greyskull is better. From my own experience, do tricep/bicep isolation exercises and squat less. Where you gain mass the most can be somewhat genetically predetermined so don't listen to anyone that tells you to strictly follow the program.

When you say isolation, would chin ups be good for bicep?

And for less squat, how much less? currently 5x5 every other day

Thanks for the advice

not him but by "less" i would cut down to like 4x5. or maybe even 3x5 and then up deads to 2x5

Do greyskull lp. It keeps you progressing and pr-ing longer and actually makes you look good, unlike SS or SL

thoughts on reg Park's 5x5? I like the volume it has, but I never hear anyone recommend it.

greyskull is awesome

but SL and GSkull are better than SS imo

Stronglifts/starting strength are both programs for weak skeletons who never did any highschool sports or shit at all. Neither is going to result in you looking good or being super strong.

But yeah, you're a fucking skeleton, so do SL and eat like 4000 calories a day.

It doesn't have the volume to be used long term, though, so I wouldn't keep at it for more than 6 months tops if you're still progressing well.

After that switch to

Once you've done that for a while you'll inherently know that PPL is the master race and you'll be strong enough to start the transition over to that.

>though I know it's possible to gain 52 over a year
52 lbs of LEAN mass in a year is pretty fucking hard bro.

Although you're light as fuck, so I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility.

Good luck and make sure you take progress pics. Even if you don't hit your goal, you'll probably make some excellent gains.

You can't gain much more muscle than 24 pounds in a year without steroids

A pound of legit lean muscle mass per week is blatantly impossible. I think you'd probably die before you could possibly dose enough gear to accomplish that.

Thanks guys, means a lot. I'm going to continue SL for a while, and I'll check back periodically to find out when the best time to start would be. Hardest part so far has been eating as much as I should lol. Lifting is fun, especially when I'm seeing my numbers go up. OHP is def. funnest lift.

Again, thanks.

Where is the ab workout in that routine?

Remember that these are all beginners routines. Direct ab work is pretty much useless for a beginner, because squats, deadlifts and rows will all stimulate them if done correctly. However, this only applies to beginners, if you're more of a intermediate lifter and want to specifically strengthen your core, I'd go with planks at the end of squat workouts and hanging leg raises at the end of your deadlifting days.

ICF?

I just started doing a routine similar to this.

I however do squats, bench, rows and next workout weighted pull ups ohp, and deads. I then added abs and two isolation a workout.

So something like l sits, bicep curls, tricep extensions or dragon flags, rear delt flies, calf raises. Really just do what I'm lacking.I also practice handstand for about 15 minutes before my routine for fun.

>then up deads to 2x5
No fuck off there's a reason it's 1x5

>Direct ab work is pretty much useless for a beginner, because squats, deadlifts and rows will all stimulate them if done correctly
You are idiot

Strong Lifts is great if you push yourself hard and eat right. But remember, SL is not a lifestyle, it is an introduction. It will help you learn how to Squat - which is you need, and it will help your body get use to weight lifting. It is simple, easy to track, easy to stick too. Keep at it at least three months, maybe even a year (max) if you are making good progress. However, eventually you will want to change things up.

The problems that arise later in the program is one of imbalances. Your quads will be more powerful than your hamstrings. Your legs in general will gain faster than your upper body. Etc. I felt like my legs were stealing all the gains from my upper body. My Squat hit 315 and my Bench was only 145, and I looked weak as fuck.

The plan you'll shift to later will still include ALL of the SL lifts. So have faith in SL and give it a shot.

Is it really that goods? It seems it doesn't have much volume.

Which routine would be best for a fatty trying to cut weight? Been doing SS but was thinking of moving to greyskull.

That looks really fun without being too overwhelmingly complicated.

t. Beginner.

If you are under 20% bodyfat, you should expect to gain weight by eating more.

If you are over 20% bodyfat, you need to cut calories staring with useless stuff like sodas.

This applies to all beginner programs worth a damn.

I reached 1/2/3/4 without ever having done a single plank, situp or else. But keep telling yourself that your 200 crunches will get you all the girls. Godspeed.

Can't you just stick to the main lifts?

GSLP is designed to incorporate excercises which target specific areas you feel are lacking, this is why it has more aesthetic orientation than SS or SL, while still being a strength focused. this particular example of GSLP was designed to give a nice strength foundation while also making you look nice, so strength gains will be slower. It also suggests doing the third set of the main movements (and the one deadlift set) as AMRAP - as many reps as possible, so low volume isn't as much as a problem, and you can keep pr-ing after a deload.

of course, you could just read the fucking book, it's available online.

i do something similar to phase 2. i enjoy it as its a proper full body.

>you could just read the fucking book, it's available online.
where?

Been doing SL solid for 6 months now and I look like this. Also will post progress stats. I mixed in some startingbodyweight exercises for core and more
Chest flys 3x8 (on BP day)
Weighted pullups 3x8 (on OHP day)
Leg lifts 3x4-8 (based off sbw progression, everyday)
And then some weighted situps 3x10

Pic related are my current stats based off the SL app. I stopped for 2 weeks because one of my quads was enflamed which is why the weight went down after deloading

do you not know how to search for torrents?

well I tried to search for pdf, ebook and torrent and didn't find anything, is there an actual link or are you baiting me?

Guys I'm on SS and I think I wanna stop memeing and move to greyskull lp. Whats the best version and do I need to pay? I know you have to pay for phreak's variation and I cant find it online

Nah man, I have it, but I dont know where I got it from. Wait, let me check

Every time I see this it really makes me wish people didn't turn SS into a meme. It really is better than the knock off versions and has a much better source of information on form ect, of course newfags see its a meme and then think it's bad automatically

Is this a trick? Phrak's version is literally one image. Buy the actual book or pirate it at the very least.

I seriously cant find my own source for it. I'm sorry bro.

This looks dope. High volume, all compounds, no bullshit, and optional ways to add to it that aren't just slapping curls on the routine. Has anyone done this routine who can comment on its effectiveness?

can't you up your file on mega or something similar?

Bump

It's for strength, you should be tired because you're doing high weights

does this work?

#fm/5nJjwSwT

ice cream fitness. Google it. It's just SL with a couple accessories. Good routine, but takes a couple hours if the gym is busy.

that's the link to your cloud you need to "update link" and post the link

>Rest 4-6 mins between the main sets.

WHAT. This means when switching exercises, right? From bench to squat and so on. It can't possibly be between each set of benching. That's 2 min. rest at most.

I tried.

mega.nz/#!du4jgKqQ

what's the decrpytion key?

El bumpo .

>chair force
did you take this pic before your maid came to clean your room?

quick question guys: im gonna switch to 5x5 soon (been doing different brosplits for 6+ months). Should I start with empty bar or with reasonable weight?

Anyone?

Dude implying you're already a couple months into working out, starting with the bar will not help. Just do weight that you can do 5x5 with strict good form. Whatever that weight may be

I've been making some damn good gains on this program, but stalling real hard in the chinups and dips.

Bamp

Yea I thought about that, but I might end up stalling too early. How much time doing 5x5 and/or many deloads do you think I should do before switching to another routine?

bump

which is? deadlifts are great and also fun, why not do more of them

Nope

Those are expected in your first year of lifting. Those aren't "good" lifts. You would have been stronger if you trained your core.

Wrong.

I never said they are, but this is the strength foundation I wanted, before switching to a more aesthetics based routine. You seem like you don't really know what you are talking about.

Ok im giving this a go starting tomorrow

I want to add some isolations. is this a good idea