Runner bros, how did you up your leg strength?

Runner bros, how did you up your leg strength?

I have plateaud at 7 miles a week.

>inb4 push through the pain

It's not pain, my legs get super tired and I feel like I'm working twice as hard at my normal pace at the end of the week.

Run slower and longer.

How much longer? A mile more than usual?

Wall sits

Run shorter and faster.

Do single leg calf raises, aim for 3 sets of 30 per leg. If you want to make it harder then do it on the stairs so your ankle can go lower.
Apart from that, try doing 12x50-100metre sprints with a very slow jog in between each sprint. It should help your Vo2 max as well as build muscles in your legs.
Also, do a routine on an exercise bike of varying resistance; my exercise bike routine includes sharp increases in resistance for .5 of a kilometre up to a kilometre, so in a 30k session, I will have had at least 27-28 major changes in resistance. This will give you a godly quads workout, not to mention good cardio. Try and stay around at least 100 pedals/minute. Most exercise bikes will have a preset hills workout so maybe just start with that.

>do normal workout
>wait 3 minutes
>find steep-ass hill
>run hill repeats for 20 minutes
Alternatively, spend 2 days in the weight room each week on a lower/upper split

Call me a bitch but running with DOMs is the worst thing

Starting off is a bitch, no doubt, but it gets better the further you go. Make sure to stretch out beforehand as well. The more you run, the more muscle and stability is built up around your knees, ankles and hips, the easier it becomes.
Also, check your running form; if you do large strides and strike with your heel out in front of you, youre sending force back up your leg, slowing you down and also putting a lot of pressure on your joints. You should practice running barefoot or at least landing with your foot directly beneath you, so you land on your mid-foot and roll up to your toes. This saves your joints a lot of stress, and means you arent slowing yourself down by overextending and heel striking.

>7 miles a week
explain this, break down your schedule

I started off overstriding and gave myself shin splints (but only on my left leg), I think I was over striding, but why only one leg? Halp.

there could be a difference between your shoes, the track you run on could be unlevel ect. There's a good chance it's not just you're overstriding. Try modifying your stride even slightly then come back.

>tfw spent all my youth sitting down
>skeleton legs
>attempting to run now at 25 years old brings massive pain in lower legs

>new exercise
>is surprised it hurts

>3 miles sunday

> 2 Miles tuesday and thursday.

2+2+3 friend

I lift on the other days.

I hope that's a typo and you meant 7 miles a day.

Anyway, just do squats and deadlifts to build lower body it's not that complicated. For runs, keep some variety, slow runs for distance and fast runs for time.

You're gonna make it breh. It's normal to feel tired of you just got into running. I remember I would lie in bed for weeks, legs burning with pain, could barely walk after my runs when I started. It just takes getting used to. DOMs will go away if you are consistent.

You're gonna make it brah.

yeah... basically i did this:
>be me
>no sports, no exercise at all until age 19, weigh 165 lbs
>start gym, start eating properly, now 200 lbs at 25 years old
>try running, legs are weak as fuck because i never ran growing up

any tips? except running more of course. i can manage about 5 minutes before i have to start walking because lower legs give way. so i have to do intervals.

Eat gummy bears while running every few miles.

Your legs are untrained, read Starting Strength and get your squat up and it will immensely benefit your running and many other aspects of physical health.

How long does each run normally take you? Do you do them continuously or do you take breaks? Do you run on hills?

I'm using a treadmill until it warms up... but my shoes are pretty old so maybe I'll change that up and get a new pair

I run half marathons. I also weight train.

The trick to building distance when you're beginning is to just drop your pace to a trot and see how far you can go. Also - try listening to music. If the only sound you hear is your body sucking wind and blowing snot rockets that's all you'll be able to focus on.

Keto. The wall is where your glycogen stores are used up, while 7 miles isn't that far it's possibly the reason why you're not going further. Keto will stop this being the issue if it is.

It's still useful to be able to push through it tho, mind over matter etc. I've been reading Bronson's Solitary Fitness again and it gets you PUMPED so I recommend that atm.

Hills my dude.
Hills, squats, and glute ham raises. When I ran in college we had a workout where we had a big as fuck hill that we'd hit midway through a 400. We'd start about 100m away from it and be running up it for the second 100 then have our last 200 at the top at the same pace. Holding pace after the top sucks but you get juicy as fuck quads and booty

I went from being a fat fuark who hated running to being a fairly decent competitive middle distance runner. The secret to running is being light. I struggled until I had a bmi that classified me as normal weight, and then excelled once i was "underweight". If your a big guy dont even bother running. Just brisk walk or look into cycling.

If he's going 7 miles a day maybe this would be true but he's doing no more then 3, carbs aren't the problem.

29 minutes for a 3k, a large hill is included in that. Continuous.

how did you get started on losing weight if there wasn't any cardio then?

losing weight is all about cals

Im not fat, sitting at 17-18% BF, trying to get to 15%

Try readjusting your Tampin bitch

>10 minutes a kilometer

train short distances or intervals until you can run faster.

Kinda on topic.

I'm a fatty working on losing weight. I'm down from 328 to 299 in 45 days.

I'm on my second week of C25K. Last night my shins started FUCKING KILLING me when I would run. Are there muscles in front of the shins that I need to stretch? Is there anything else I can do. I eat 100% clean now, no sugar unless it comes from fruit, which is usually just a cup of frozen grapes at night. I want to keep going and get to at least being able to do a 5K, but I literally had to "ice" my legs in out 69 degree pool last night and I couldn't finish all my run intervals.

Please don't say I'm just too fat to run, there has to be something I can do. I love dat calorie burn and high heart rate.

Also, is getting to a 165 heart rate going to kill me? Thats usually my peak during run intervals.

Shit i mean 5k

See

165 heart rate wont kill you, I regularly aim for 160-170 on the exercise bike.

The pain you have in your legs is shinsplints. You need to lay off the running for a few days and let it heal, its basically microfractures in your shins caused by running.

Dont worry, it means youre doing well and pushing hard; its just one of the things you have to deal with when you start running. Make sure to stretch out your calves, quads and hamstrings, touch your toes etc before you run. Also, stretch off when you finish your run.

Most injuries in the early days of running will come from overtraining, i.e going too far too fast. Slow the pace down a bit if possible, once you hit the 5k mark then work on speed and your muscles and joints will grow sufficiently to accommodate.

Best of luck breh, youre gunna make it.

Dude, don't run at that weight. You'll hurt yourself worse. Then you won't be able to move, then you're just gonna get fat. Walk until you're down to 225. Also, concentrate on diet, not exercise at this point.

So I'm doomed to the elliptical?

you can try intervall training just run as long as you can make a full rest and then run again, try to shorten the breaks while having the same speed .
instead of full stop breaks you can just jog much slower for a bit

Bruh you just gotta do it. I'm in the same boat. Just started running last week, about 30min for a 3mi. Been trying to up my weekly mileage. Did a 6mi today at about 12min/mi.

Gonna force myself to hit three more tomorrow regardless of how I feel, and focusing on technique and breathing instead of time.

Do some HIIT at longer distances like 400m

You can swim or bike too. Any cardio that doesn't have that impact is good. But the other user is right. Running at your weight is going to be murder on your shins and knees. You shouldn't do it.

>Make sure to stretch out beforehand as well.
Don't do this. It will hurt your performance, especially if you're doing HIIT. You should stretch afterwards

Solid advice man

Does running slow feel shitty for anyone else? I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Like when I run slow it basically feels like I'm just falling forward but if I go at a more brisk pace I'm actually using my leg muscles.

I just walked 20 miles last night and feel fine. idk get better running shoes and go for longer runs/walks.