Calories in Calories out is a myth

Daily Reminder that the underlying factor of obesity is not calories, its insulin.

Get to know this smart gentleman, Dr. Fung. I've poured over at least 4 or 5 hours of his content now. His argument is that insulin and insulin resistance are the enemy in terms of obesity.

On a very technical level; yes, calories in calories out. But when you eat less your body burns less. When you eat more your body burns more. Therefore, It is not how much you eat, it is WHAT you eat. It is not eating 6 times a day to keep your metabolism going, it is eating 1 time a day to keep your insulin levels low.

There are a lot of fat people out there cutting calories and starving themselves to death. They have been set up to fail and it is simply the wrong approach.

Dr. Fung suggests a fasting period to deprive your body of insulin thus reducing your insulin resistance (or tolerance if you prefer) levels and switching to a fat heavy, low carb diet.

condensed version
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

6 part series for those with the fortitude and interest:
youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

Other urls found in this thread:

nydailynews.com/life-style/lose-weight-eating-junk-food-nutrition-professor-drops-27-pounds-twinkie-diet-months-article-1.453215
abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/07/24/3549931.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4550686/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>scientific paper, that says fat people who cant loose weight with counting calories are fat liars

When I ate 2,000 calories per day I went from 195 to 165 over 7 months or so. I ended up with abs, no lower back fat, even had veins on my quadriceps.

>I had no special eating hours ~ I just consumed 2000 calories over the course of the day and didn't go over 2000.

Then I went back to my old eating habits (not counting calories, eating whatever I want) and over 1 year or so regained all the fat.

Counting calories works so long as you actually do it. I can easily track calories, but I simply no longer possess the willpower to actually stick to my calorie limit.

People are in denial about this stuff.

I sometimes wish that someone was able to control my calorie intake for me, that way I'd maintain lean body my entire life.

I control my dogs food intake and I can literally make them overweight by feeding them 2 cups of dog food a day, or keep them lean on 1 cup of dog food a day. Apply the same control to any human and watch their body composition change very easily without any issues.

Unless you're eating the right things it will never matter. If you eat less calories but are eating processed carbohydrates your insulin levels will remain high and your cells will be resistant. Its a balance of resetting your insulin levels, resistance and diet. The food industry has been perpetuating this lie. Why? Money of course.

Exactly! You rebounded and got even fatter, am I correct? Doctor Fung addresses this stuff directly. It wasn't your willpower my friend, it was insulin. Trust me, give the 30 minute video a gander, this shit is revolutionary.

No I did not get fatter.

I just went back up to the bodyweight I maintain on about 3,000-3,300 calories per day.

Nothing at all about the way I eat changes (type of food, timing of food) besides eating less calories.

Fuck off Dr Dung.

Your TDEE does NOT change significantly enough when you go on a caloric deficit that you need meme diets like Keto to lose weight.

Just stay on a deficit, use scale in conjunction with the mirror. Everything else is unnecessary.

Scooby said it best
>eat a bit less
>exercise a bit more
>drink more water

You are literally complicating shit that isn't complicated

I'm no doctor and I honestly don't know a ton. I need to rewatch a lot of his content. But, trust me man this guy knows what he's talking about. You didn't fail because of willpower. ALL of The Biggest Loser contestants rebounded as well. They were set up to fail. If you don't know the cause you can't solve the problem, and the problem is a lifetime of soda, sugars, and all sorts of carbohydrates that have made your body resistant to insulin.

Calories in vs Calories out is not a myth. Your body doesn't break the law of thermodynamics just because you started eating less.

gr8 b8 m8

No you fuck, it's because they revert to eating shitty foods after they get off of the show. Matter CANNOT be created out of nothing, if you are a 500 calorie deficit YOU WILL lose weight, that is a fact and no amount of bullshit Dr. Dung can spout will change that

>eat a bit less
>exercise a bit more
>drink more water

This is exactly the paradigm I'm challenging. It sounds good on paper but it is not practical. It has a ridiculous fail rate, you lose the weight and rebound almost every time. If it were so true the United States, and the rest of the world to an extent, would not be in this obesity epidemic. Something is wrong with the science. I believe Dr. Fung might have the answer.

I lost 50 kilos and didn't gain it back, it's been 5 years.

All I did was eat less, I wasn't even exercising a ton.

don't waste your time op. there are a few of us on here who have realised that CICO is bullshit, but most of Veeky Forums will just think you're baiting because they've read the sticky and think that they're experts on nutrition.

Sure, if you're a simpleton. Why don't you just go back to having conversations over email instead of complicating things with Veeky Forums and social media

It has a high fail rate because healthy foods are shit for the most part and McDonald's is cheaper and easier in general.

>there are a few of us on here that don't understand the laws of thermodynamics

Ad hominem

Can you come up with an effective argument that defies the laws of physics so I can laugh at you?

You are going to sit there and tell me that if you BMR is 2k calories and you eat 500 less than that your body will magically adapt and become more efficient at using them and magically GAIN WEIGHT creating matter out of thin air? Holy shit dude you are fuvking dumb.

Hey so what happens if I go on an ultra low calorie diet (under 750 calories of pure fat and protein per day all in one meal) and walk an average of 15k steps every day? It seems to be working fine so far but I'm afraid my body might start going into survival mode soon

>laws of thermodynamics
>laws of physics

yep there it is

Listen, this is for the fatties that are trying to lose weight. You have stumbled onto the holy grail of weight loss. I challenge you to watch the video, if you have the aptitude you will find he makes perfect sense. All these niggers are doing is perpetuating a lie that makes the food industry money. I'm telling you this because I'm passionate and I care. I have no motive other than to see you succeed and to challenge the beliefs I don't agree with on this board, much like Dr. Fung is challenging almost every other professional in his field.

It's not a waste of time in my eyes. I fucking love the truth and I love seeing my peers succeed. Even more-so I love sticking it to the big money faggots who could give a shit how much they hurt people as long as they make a buck.

The real problem is people are sold a diet to lose 10 pounds, lose the 10 pounds and then go back to their old habits. To be healthy or to lose weight and keep it off you need to realize you aren't "going on a diet" you're changing your diet. That's the trap.

I'm not saying a simple calorie deficit won't work, homo. I'm just saying there's a lot more that goes into the biology of weight loss than "muh thermodynamics"

your body is responding to your low calorie diet by lowering your metabolism

do alternate day fasting instead

No there isn't, just eat less and you will lose weight.

[Citation needed]

nydailynews.com/life-style/lose-weight-eating-junk-food-nutrition-professor-drops-27-pounds-twinkie-diet-months-article-1.453215

>posts no argument
>thinks he's won

lol, have you given up this easily?

>be me
>calculate tdee
>track calories
>eat healthy abov tdee
>gain weight
>eat less calories than tdee
>Lose weight

wow! it's completely BS!

funny thing I eat worse foods aka shit like twinkies or chocolate when cutting

You are fucking stupid and are literally promoting a meme

>shoo shoo gains goblin

People always cite this twinkie diet. Its complete bullshit. He lost the wait for a short period I'm sure, but he did not fix the underlying problem. Which is again? Class? INSULIN! And the hunger hormone ghrelin.

He fucked his shit up on that twinkie diet.

This amount of autism in this post is amazing

>we've transcended to a land where meme diets are law and bodybuilding is easy

You probably weren't OBESE. You have healthy insulin genetics and this shit doesn't apply to you.

Insulin, insulin, insulin, do you know any other word? Insulin levels are not nearly as important as you think for weight loss.

>Dr. Dung is a genius and his work is law unless calories in calories out worked for you, then you're an anonmly

lol

welp my bad for not reading the word obese, I'm not obese.

still, it applies to fat fucks anyways and doesnt really matter what they eat unless they want to be healthy and preserve and/or build muscle mass

[Citation needed again] Calories are the most relevant factor when it comes to weigh loss or gain. Ask any athlete who bulks on junk, fat people have no excuse for being fat. Unless you have worked up to and fasted for a month no exceptions

So a fat fuck can eat 500 calories a day but doesn't lose weight because of insulin sensitivity? Nah

So, lift and intermittent fasting. Don't eat sugars.

I study this shit and insulin resinstance is reversible you dumb shit
There's way more to it
Yes insulin indeed plays a role in losing/gaining weight but saying it's all insulin is utter bullshit
It's a combination of both calorie intake and hormone levels
but eating less will still make you lose weight there's no other way

Guys I only eat twinkles and I bodybuilding loose wight when? Am 140cm 130kg but can bench my bw so it's mostly muscle

You have yet to say one thing remotely credible. MUH insulin

>needing food
you guys are weaklings
abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/07/24/3549931.htm

And I'm arguing that calories are not whats important. Its the balance of insulin and ghrelin. Fat people are fat because they're built up a tolerance to insulin. Studies show higher insulin = fatter people. Lower insulin = skinnier people. You need to retrain your insulin tolerance so that your body doesn't need to eat more to get the same effect. And that is where calories in and calories out comes in. Yes they are eating more calories and getting fatter, but WHY? He's trying to find the underlying factor. Why do the want more calories? Why do almost all of the calories in calories out and exercise methods fail?

The citation is in the OP. In his 1 hour talks, 6 total, there are plenty of studies cited that back this science up.

Diebetes and insulin resistance are symptoms. More likely cause is related to a loss of UCP-1 or something with prostaglandin e2 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4550686/

>Insulin levels are not nearly as important as you think for weight loss.

can you explain this statement? the way i understand it, when insulin is elevated you are in fat storage mode and literally cannot burn fat.

>when you eat less your body burns less. When you eat more your body burns more

It's called thermogenic effect of food. Your body consumes more calories by digesting 1000kcals eaten in one sitting than 300kcals. In the end it evens out to be the same.

>It is not eating 6 times a day to keep your metabolism going, it is eating 1 time a day to keep your insulin levels low

It might improve nutrient partitioning but if you're not burning more than what you consume weight loss just isn't gonna happen. Look up on thermodynamics.

>switching to a fat heavy, low carb diet

Not even gonna comment on this one.

Look man, this doctor Fung isn't some lifechanging miracle profet who discovered the secret to something as complex as how the human body works. It's something that it's not 100% understood yet, and when it comes to dieting, it's not so black and white. He's got some good points, but he's not revealing anything that hasn't been considered before. Most of what he says has been discussed countless times before he even made that speech, so it's not an end all be all of nutrition.

>Yes they are eating more calories and getting fatter, but WHY?

You answered your own question

>Calories in vs Calories out is not a myth. Your body doesn't break the law of thermodynamics just because you started eating less.

no, but it's stupid and oversimplified. your metabolic processes are more complicated than one fucking number.

>Your body uses more calories by digesting 1000kcals

correction

Well, yes, when you eat at a calorie deficit, what's happening behind the scenes is your insulin is low, which is how your body knows to burn fat to make up the deficit. The two go hand-in-hand. You can't effectively do one without the other.

What I meant is that he is proposing that insulin levels are empirically more important than eating at a caloric deficit for losing weight and that is just not correct

And ghrelin. They are the underlying factor of why they want so many calories and why they crave the wrong foods. It is the hormonal system that is at work here, not will power or behavior. A lifetime of bad dieting has put them in this state. Fasting to retrain the insulin tolerance will make there bodies need less insulin and therefore needless food (calories) to feed the cells. Thereafter maintaining a 1 meal a day intermittent fast to keep the insulin levels low (you get an insulin spike when you eat).

I just wish people would watch the video, its literally all in there.

>calories in calories out is a meme
>put down that physics book, user
>thermodynamics is fake news you fucking goyim

It should be oversimplified because people like you try to over complicate it.

>Guy starts talking about metabolic slowdown

>Metabolic slowdown is like my number one fear as I continue to lose weight

Why are they craving more calories I should say.

>It's called thermogenic effect of food. Your body consumes more calories by digesting 1000kcals eaten in one sitting than 300kcals. In the end it evens out to be the same.

You should fucking REALLY look up the shit you parrot. No seriously. Go look up the thermic effect of food.

this is the problem with Veeky Forums. dumb fucking aspies from /pol/ or whatever other shit board you came from who read the sticky and think they're a goddamn expert on nutrition.

if your only knowledge of weight loss is calories go down -> weight on the scale goes down, don't fucking post, you have literally nothing to contribute here other than the same garbage every other dyel retard like yourself has posted for years and years.

yeah because body composition doesn't matter, nor does insulin resistance or insulin sensitivity. only those calories and the scale lol fuck am i smart yet???? someone please notice how intelligent i am.

The problem is that people think its a matter of willpower. The only willpower involved is choosing the right foods to eat, not how much you eat. Its not insulin levels so much as its insulin resistance. They have built up an insulin tolerance which needs to be radically changed, and changing the hormonal system is not easy. But once you get to the UNDERLYING reason people want more calories, then you can treat obesity effectively.

Because when you are on a caloric deficit you are literally starving so your body starts to cannibalize itself for energy. It's natural that it would send signals and release hormones for you to eat.

lol i bet you have a shit physique

please leave

Recalculate TDEE for every four pounds lost. If your weight loss stalls for two consecutive weeks just lower the calories, it isn't rocket science my man.

dyel

Tripfag kys

>unless zyzz in disguise
>then welcome back bb

how is this supposed to help him?

>user is scared about possible metabolic damage
>"hey, just do this thing to exacerbate the damage"

Fuck this Fung faggot

welcome to Veeky Forums

That doesn't really address my concern

Those arguments don't take into account changes in metabolism. It's a pseudo-scientific argument from people who have never taken a physics course.

>le i'm so old meme

go lift some weights spaghetti arms

Insulin sensitivity will balance out with the introduction of a healthy diet. You CAN eat McDonald's everyday and lose weight, but it isn't as fun because you have like two Mcdoubles and half a fry for the entire day.

Other foods like chicken breast and veggies are more satiating and filling because of fiber and protein. So you can earless and still feel satisfied.

guy I see you have name from contributing to Veeky Forums a lot please answer question?
am new

>half a fry

Yes so we need to retrain those hormones. They will keep you going back to that homeostatic state of being fat. Whatever weight you were is that homeostatic state. Your body thinks its starving but there is plenty of energy stored in the fat cells. Retraining the hormones will smack your hormone system in the face, so to speak, so that you don't have those cravings. You don't need them and your body doesn't "know" that. This is caused from the body "thinking" it needs more food because the cells have become so resistant to the insulin released from eating. The resistance, or tolerance, is a universal concept. Much like building a resistance to alcohol, an antibiotic, or any drug for that matter.

It basically immediately reverses when you eat at a surplus again.

I'm so triggered right now

See

Two things.
Changes in metabolism are entirely down to the loss in mass...which equals a loss in basal metabolic rate. You know, less body less calories needed to fuel and move said body?

Secondly, the body does not drop weight in a 1:1 fashion. Some weeks you'll drop 2 pounds others you'll drop a half of a pound. It is not linear.

tl;dw - utilise intermittent fasting and/or a ketogenic diet to lower your set point

Now this I can agree with.

>so many scientific terms and shit

lmao just give in natty card and make sure you get enough protein and a solid curlbro split. 1 meal a day lmao I don't ever see myself doing that

>1 meal a day lmao I don't ever see myself doing that

don't tell your body what you can't do

I wouldn't say the standard deviation is .5-2lbs, more like just .5lbs. More if you don't account for water weight.

>>go lift some weights spaghetti arms

ok

Not zyzz

>i cry evrytiem

Where did your chest go.

> Why do almost all of the calories in calories out and exercise methods fail?

They don't, I'm a living proof of that. Obesity is a behavior problem that can be fixed by changing your lifestyle.

You mean this.

>They don't, I'm a living proof of that

nice anecdote

>trying to btfo with this picture

this place is a fucking joke

your turn

post your best lifts too

>But when you eat less your body burns less.

So why don't we just eat 0, save money and crash the food industry?

LOL!

>saved

Is keto legit?

did u quit roiding?

years ago

It's a conspiracy man

>le tinfoil hat