Getting Military Fit

I am in desperate need of a guide for getting in shape to join the military. PLEASE HELP.

(Pic related. Sergeant Hartmann from Full Metal Jacket.)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zy41a_RtzNo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How the fuck is this different than just getting fit? Read the sticky.

I'm running and lifting. That's all there is to it.

Starting strength if you're just starting out and do couch to 5k

Get good at calisthenics and running

Go ask your recruiter.
Stay the fuck away from here.

read the stiiiickyyyy

youtube.com/watch?v=zy41a_RtzNo

Skip to around 5:10

>(Pic related. Sergeant Hartmann from Full Metal Jacket.)
cute

If you lift, stop or at least cut down. Start running at least 3 times a week, gradually increasing the distance and speed. Alternate between long slow jogs, medium distance fast paced runs and sprint/HIIT sessions.
Do bodyweight a lot more. Smash out push ups, sit ups, pull ups and dips.

Once youre able to meet the requirements for runs, push ups, pull ups etc, then start lifting again, focusing on explosive strength, i.e shoulders, legs and chest. Also do trap exercises, itll help with carrying a heavy bergen.

Once you do that, start going on weighted marches; pack up a backpack with dog food, and do multiples of 4 miles, which youre aiming to do 4 miles per hour over undulating and rough terrain. Pack the backpack with cans of dog food, books, water etc, anything but weight plates; weight plates fuck up the weight distribution and will scrape your back the fuck up. Gradually increase distance, weight and pace.

Good luck breh

Run, do push ups, pull ups, sit ups. Don't overthink it

Work out your core for all the marching with a heavy backpack and gear.

Great video, got me intressted in increasing my mile time

Source?

I'm not OP, but I'm training for the USMC OCC early next year. I run probably about 4-5 times a week (1-2 interval days, and 3ish slow jog 5k attempts). What should I be doing differently?

Also I suppose I should start rucking soon, I literally never do at the moment I use free weight 5x a week

Best advice so far

Literally stop lifting right now. You're gonna lose all your gains in boot camp anyway and there will be plenty of time for lifting once you hit the fleet.

Like this user said, start smashing pull-ups. If you can do 20 dead hang no shit pull ups by the time you get to boot camp you're already ahead of most of the platoon. Do as many pull ups as you can during every workout, do them every day if you can. There's no secret to getting better at pull ups, you just have to do them all the time.

Concurrently with this, start running distance. HIIT is good too but focus on your muscular endurance. You're gonna need it. I would recommend being able to do at least 5 miles at a time by the time you get there.

If you can, start rucking. Hikes are gonna suck if you're not used to moving with weight. Hikes are fast paced. It's somewhere between a walk and a jog. 50 lbs is a good weight to be used to. Sandbags are the best way to get to that weight.

Finally, remember boot camp is designed for you to pass. The DIs can do a lot but they can't stop time. If boot camp is the hardest thing you do in your marine corps career, you're probably pog as fuck anyway.

Good luck man. Boot camp will probably be pussyshit now because of all the hazing shit that's gone down recently, but it'll still be mentally difficult having your life controlled 24 hours a day for three months.

What MOS you gonna be?

This is pretty good advice. Also there are shittons of guides and plans to get your running up to speed for sf and what not.

Link pls senpai

Source: t. Milfag

You should ideally be aiming for 5k in under 20-21 minutes if possible; being able to maintain a 7 minute mile for a few miles is definitely good. If you cant, do at least 12x50-100metre sprints with a very slow jog inbetween, it will increase your speed, cadence and your Vo2 max.
Then, find a 1.5 mile route, and run it at a steady pace (no massive variations in speed) until you can do 7 minute miles comfortably. Then, once youve finished the route once, turn around and do it again at that same pace. You will be slower, but not by much, and soon you will be able to smash out that 5k at a respectable time.

That's m8, will definitely try to implement this into my routine

Core work is good to do. Check our the /bwg/ that will help you more than lifting. Keep a easy, 3 day a week bb based training pattern, but try not to add weight. Run a minimum of 3 times a week, work up to a 5k and work on getting times down. Do push ups pull ups and sit ups everyday, and a lot. At least 100 push up, 50 pull up, and 200 sit ups. Doesn't matter sets or how you do them, just get if done

I need to get at least 7.5 on beep test for Australian Reserves (provided I pass this eye test with new glasses).
Thought it was going to be so easy but I had no idea how tight / sore your legs get when you haven't ran in ages.
Thanks for all the good info in the thread and good luck to everyone else.

Also let me add that you should definitely work on your lower back. Do a shitton of static exercises like planks and stuff like that. Your back is gonna thank you when you get out.

Recruiters aren't allowed to give fitness advice after some retards told a kid to eat 900 calories a day and run 2 hours a day to try and make weight. He died of a heart attack and his family sued the Army.

Sergeant Hartmann? REEEEEEE. GUNNERY SERGEANT. HE'S A FUCKING GUNNERY SERGEANT.

But seriously, push ups, sit ups, pull ups and running.