Any good ohp programs for intermediate/advance lifters?

Any good ohp programs for intermediate/advance lifters?

mon
5x5 ohp

wed
1x5 ohp

fri
5RM, 2x3 or 1RM

did you really just recommend a pseudo-texas method for pressing gains? piss

Greg Nuckols 28 Free Programs 3x Int Medium or Int High or 3x Adv (these are bench programs, but you can just replace the benching with OHP and it will work just fine)

Sheiko with OHP instead of bench

anything with 3x a week frequency and high volume will do it

Why is Texas method bad for presses?

in my very unprofessional opinion, low reps isn't very good for OHP. Or I should say, you can/should do it, but don't make it all you do.

In my experience, for whatever reason, when I do 5 reps with OHP it just doesn't feel like I'm getting anything done. It's good to do low reps for strength and getting used to higher weight though

not a lawyer btw

thats why you cycle rep ranges on intensity day.

you could probably do this till you aren't an intermediate anymore. You could definitely press 225 with this training method.

okay, no gains for you

Do 5/3/1, one of the main lifts is an OHP

a few reasons

1. The most important thing for an intermediate lifter is to expand work capacity (ability to tolerate and recover from volume) and gain muscle mass. These are both accomplished through training with increasing volume. Texas Method constrains the lifter to a very short one week cycle to get enough volume, recover, and showcase the adaptation. By making the lifter peak at the end of each week, TM necessarily restricts how much volume can be used (because you must peak and display strength each ID, you cannot be significantly fatigued on this day) and therefore hinders your work capacity and hypertrophy development.
2. The volume actually isn't all that high, just distributed in a stupid way. By clusterfucking all the volume into one session, you end up with only one productive (maybe destructive is more like it) session, and the other two days are spent recovering and hoping to peak in time for ID.

If you go to the SS forums, you'll see that TM has even fallen out of favor there (which I was pretty surprised by). Mark Rippetoe himself has said that for most people, TM is not a good option.

In my experience TM works incredibly well for some, and not at all for most.

It might work very well if:
1. Talented (can recover from volume quickly)
2. Early intermediate, not truly done with LP
3. Talented (don't need a lot of volume for adaptation)
4. Talented (would have made gains jerking off with ankle weights)
5. Talentbolone Acetate

For most people, TM with a heavy caloric surplus will get them a few weeks of consistent progress and leave them spinning their wheels after that. Most people would be better off with higher volume programming with real periodization (at least a monthly scheme).

If you don't believe me, go to the SS forums and search for "texas method bench stall".

>he's not a talent chad
lol, just do TM 4 day then you old man

I ran the 3 day TM years ago, made no gains. Ran the 4 day, made no gains on anything but squat.

Longer periodization and a lot more volume is the way to go, I'm convinced. Also didn't help that I was only getting to do deadlift, my favorite lift, for one set a week.

Pissening deadlift programming, Rippetoe.

his squat is a hip dominant squat, so doing deadlifts at high intensity is hard as well. 1x5 at 85% is a lot.

Eventually I ended up splitting the deadlift up and doing 1 set of 8 up to the knees or 1x8 from the knees.

Bench started to stall after 3 months. I rotated reps every month, but honestly i just wasn't willing to gain any more weight.

but yeah, you could probably press 225 in under 6months on TM

>ohp

fuk dat

klokov press and face pulls

find a flaw

>but yeah, you could probably press 225 in under 6months on TM

nani?

starting from where?

135 - 155

no they fuck up your shoulders

especially if you do it twice a week

dont fall for the fucking retarded meme

OHP is a meme? da fuq? Bench seems way more shoulder fucky than OHP too, or rather, you're more likely to fuck up the shoulder-safe form with bench than you will with OHP

I press slightly over 2 plates Ohp. Ama

yeah this, ohp is more gentle on my shoulders tbhfam

give me your programming, it's my current goal as well

you almost certainly couldn't unless you have a lot of talent

then try harder. you aren't fooling me

>bw?
>years lifting?
>programming to get there?

you aren't fooling me, either

a 225 overhead press is pretty damn rare, suggesting most people can hit it in 6 months on a program that is as poorly reputed for pressing and benching as TM is pretty ridiculous

225 - 135 = 90lbs
90lbs / 5lbs per week = 18 weeks ~4.14months

>but yeah, you could probably press 225 in under 6months on TM

Shoutings

kek

>6 months to reach OHP that 0.000001% people ever reach during their entire lifting careers

wow, you guys are WEAK. back to /plg/ i gooooo

yeah sure, 5 lbs a week progress on OHP

seems legit buddyboyo

I run the texas method for a few years now. Except I do my deadlifts after squat on friday. Before that just the regular stronglifts program, which I kept running long after the lineair progression stopped.

About 115 kg. Been lifting since summer 2010, had a few injuries which set me back though.

I found out that the placement of the bar in the hand really helps a lot. Try putting it at deep as possible in the hand, so that it's as close to the wrist as possible. Then focuss on squeezing the bar as hard as possible, so that the wrist doesn't move the slightest. Also squeeze Abs and glutes

HOIW LOW DO YOU HAVE TO LOWER THE BAR ON OHP?

barely past chin or all the way to nipples.

It should touch your upper chest/clavicles.

what kind of gains have you made on TM in the past years? if it averages out to a lot less than 5lbs a week, you need to reconsider your programming

you would be making much better gains with a higher volume, longer periodization program

>my program is working great for me
>NU-UH SHEIKO IS BETTER FUCK OFF

what do you define as working? if your progression rate is slower than 5lbs a week on squat and deadlift, TM is probably no longer the right routine for you

i said nothing about Sheiko programs, as those don't contain the overhead press :^)

>face pulls
It hardly feels like anything, I literally have to put dumbells on top of the weight machine's weight and do 20 reps to feel my shoulders get exhausted

rear delts are little baby muscles, hard to feel them working

try rear delt raises maybe

what about just doing the behind the neck press?

seems like a lot of effort just to train rear delts

hey, is there any reason to do standing OHP instead of sitting OHP? If I can push more weight on the sitting OHP

Sitting OHP might be bad for your spine. Standing OHP let's you use more mussles.
>protip: pick standing OHP

Im working on one. If it's any good I'll post it in autumn :^)

But hey, there's a PDF called "quest for a stronger press" by Ringo Starr:
>press more
>6x3 + 1×10 backoff set

PS PUSH PRESS IS A MEME

>he can't lift his own bodyweight
>after 6 years of lifting

I'm 6'6" and ready to go on a cut

No press is directly targeting the rear delts because that is not their function. Anatomically speaking a row with your elbow at or above your shoulder will activate them most.

You're ready to go on a cut? Since when, 2015?
Post a pic of your delts, big guy.

2013 actually

Then what routine do you recommend that includes ohp

>he can't progress on 5lbs a week under 225lbs
lmao pls. Try harder

>I ran the 3 day TM years ago, made no gains. Ran the 4 day, made no gains on anything but squat.
exactly my experience except my squat exploded.

i have concluded, both from my experience and through the experiences of others, that the TM is fantastic for the squat but shit for the upper body. sad reality is that there simply isn't enough volume to go around. the upper body needs more than the TM, and SS for that matter, has to offer.

did the press emphasis program from lascek's ebooks when switched to the 4 day and didn't notice anythin good for my OHP. currently cutting after that disaster of a press routine.

moving onto greg nuckols 3x a week int med bench program for OHP. hopefully the volume and frequency are sufficiently high to yields good gains this time.

>5 lbs progress on the press for 18 straight weeks
sure. and i can do the same thing by adding 20 lbs to my squat for 18 weeks to improve it by 360 lbs.

>he can't progress on 3.792 lbs a week under 300 lbs

lmao, might as well kys yourself

good luck on finding a program

i hit ohp 2x a week with a intensity day and a speed/volume day. i also dedicate a day for bench presses to keep my body balanced

you only go up by 5lbs a week on TM you moron.

Actually, you only add 5lbs every other week because you alternate it with the bench press. So, it's around 36 weeks so around 9 months and you're most likely going to stall at some point and then you can either deload or turn the volume day into 8x3 and intensity day to 2x3 and progress for 4 weeks like that and go back down to the weight you stalled at and see if you can lift it now.

>thinking that the increments of increase on the squat is possible for The Press
if you can increase your press by 5lbs a week, then you are genetically gifted and are one of the few people that the TM is good for regarding uper body lifts. most people will not experience such large jumps even with religious eating. again, as a generally accessible program for improving OHP, TM isn't good except for people like you who could probably do anything they felt like and stil get stronger.

>mf while i read your post
ARE YOU DUMB?

ok big guy, you clearly have zero knowledge of the abilities of most people.

if something works for you, it works for you and not necessarily for anyone else. and i can tell you right now that increasing your OHP by 5lbs a week is totally unrealistic to most people. hell, even rippetoe in PPST says that your press maybe only increase by 1lb a week, never mind fucking 5.

well then try harder lmao

">jus work hard brah, eye of the tiger XD"

idk what else to say

i was only bitching at you to stop recommending TM to guys wanting to improve their OHP. no h8 just ball busting

thats how i did it..

Stop caring about your OHP and focus on bench instead. OHP is a meme lift that stalls super easy and you'll spend all of eternity to get a 2.5lb PR after 2 years

>tfw can only OHP 37.5kg, 40 with bad form
>tfw my lower back has started aching when i do them
>tfw 6'6" so I bend like crazy
help

t. shit OHP back archer

squeeze your glutes as a cue to prevent shitty lower back position when doing it

Here's some legit advice. I know olympic history and how weightlifters trained pre and post roids when OHP was a competitive lift. I also have a 105kg max single without gear.

>Basically they trained at mostly around 85% for 1-3 reps, at 6-12 sets with rest typically lower than you're used to at around 2min, across 3 (minimum) to 5 max days per week and tested max every 1-4 weeks before adjusting max to reflect the new weight.

>A typical routine from the pre-roid era that was recommended by the British Amateur Weightlifting Association for an intermediate:
>150lbs/67.5kg max press
>110 x 3x3
>120 x 3x3
>130 x 3x2
>140 x 3x1
>[Feel free to simplify to 70/80/85/90-92%]
>3xweek
>Source: 'Bodybuilding' by John Barrs

>Another inter from a top 50s weightlifting with a difference:
>Warm up - 3/2/2 (from 70% of max)
>Take a weight 15kg lighter than your max
>Do 10x1
>Add a set per session until you are doing 14x1
>Add 2.5kg, start again at 10x1 and continue until you stall
>Source: Jim Halliday 'Olympic Weightlifting'

>Another from a top 40s presser that is completely different to what you're used to:
>150 max
>100 x 5
>110 x 4
>120 x 3
>130 x 2
>140 x 1
>130 x 2
>120 x 3
>110 x 4
>100 x 5
>Source: Al Murray discussing Josef Manger's favourite pressing routine

>And here is a schedule so you can text your max:
>120lbs Max
>85lbs 2x3
>95 2x3
>100 1x3
>110 1x2
>115 x1
>120 x1
>ATTEMPT NEW MAX (2.5kg more) x1
>[Use 5m rest for max 2-3 for rest]
>Source: George Kirkley

>[If you're interested in a modern strength writer who does something similar Google Jamie Lewis and his 'Destroy the Opposition' book. He's clearly read/used the same sources in designing his template but does not attribute them directly in his book. 5/3/1 also uses similar thinking, but I've always found my pressing goes down when I do it. (Due to not enough weekly pressing - my opinion.) Though YMMV as few at my weight of 88kg are doing 105kg max presses.]

Deathpress

hepburn method, 5/3/1 (new), GZCL

thanks user, i'll try it and maybe deload!

I'm dis kunt:

The Hepburn method, for those that don't know, is this:

>A. 4-10x1 (90%rm or 10lbs below/7 sessions/then add 2.5 for lower & 1 for upper/wu-50%x5, 60%x1, 70%x1, 80%x1)
>B. 4-10x3 (80%rm or 5rm/9 sessions/then add 2.5 for lower & 1 for upper/wu-50%x5, 60%x1, 70%x1)
>C. 5x3-5 (70%rm or 5rm/add reps to earlier sets first, i.e. 1st ses=5/3/3/3/3 5/5/4/3/3=/9 sessions/then add 2.5 for lower & 1 for upper/wu-50%x5)
>Done 2xweek M/Thurs for 3 months minimum & you progress through them as you stall

The problem with the above for getting a big press is that they're power focused. It's much better thn 531 and similar modern programs - which, due to OHP not being a competition left since 1972 has made everyone of our era completely ignorant of how to train the press: you need loads of 'stabilizing training' like I describe in my previous post over most of your training year to get a truly elite max.

2xweek in the press isn't enough for a big press. Ron Walker - the sick kunt in the pic I previously attached - trained 8x2 up to 3 times PER DAY for periods to achive his max press of 127kg at around 90kg bodyweight. PRE-ROIDS.

this, as well as try to stick your lower back out (not like really far out but this is a good cue to contract the lower abs since a lot of people don't know what it feels like including many lifters) and stick your chest out at the same time

i was referring to his 8x2->8x3 routine, which was the older one of his

slow volume expansion works real well for presses

i'm sure what you're saying works but 3x a day is not practical for normal people, unless you have a home gym

so what you're essentially saying is increase intensity and decrease volume throughout the week? at a relatively high intensity standard

its very similar to nuckols' 3x a week intermediate bench programs which he has stated are workable for OHP as well. the difference with his is that volume is higher.

appreciate the input though, thanks man. have saved your posts and will dig a little deeper around those names to see for myself. its the rare posts like these that make Veeky Forums worth coming to.

I'm not saying anyone needs to train 3 times per day. I don't. What I'm saying is that the whole weightlifting community has no idea of how to train the OHP. The idea of training it even 3 times per week is forgotten knowledge. It's a lift that defies most beginner, intermediate and advanced rules of volume/intensity/etc in 2017.

>so what you're essentially saying is increase intensity and decrease volume throughout the week? at a relatively high intensity standard

The Hepburn? No A-B-C are each indivdual programs to be done twice per week (M/Thurs with curl and bench and squat/high pull/deadlift on Tues/Fri). When you stall on C move onto B then A. This training put a lot of beef on me, but wasn't enough press training to increase my press.

Check out these websites foor old school press training:

>davidgentle dot come (go through the ebook section, the Hepburn book is there)
>ditillo2 dot blogspot dot come (google search it for press articles - loads of great content there)

The best bang for your buck books are by George Kirkley and Bill Watson. You'll fin d them for cheap on amazon/ebay easy.

fucking nice and screencapped

OHP is my favorite lift, there's just something about being able to press heavy weights above your head - my big goal of the next 1-2 years is to hit 2 plate strict and be able to progress near a 3 plate push press

>tfw forever mirin Klokov's 162 kg strict and 220 kg push press

2 plate strict is a goal of mine too.

justin lascek from 70s big had a 230lb C&P for a while and he's pretty responsive to comments and questions, maybe ask him how he did it

have any of you guys hit bodyweight OHP?
i'm 10 lbs away if i cut well enough or 20 if i keep the same weight.

>have good genetics
>train hard from day one
>get distracted by crossfit
>make a blog about '70s male lifting culture
>try to discredit everything Rippetoe does even though Justin would be a nobody without him
>write ebooks that don't have much advice
>try to convince everyone Crossfit is legit because they're paying you
>blog fails after a few years

yeah justin is a total mongoloid

>TM sucks shit for bench? better reduce the volume even more!
>keep your workouts under an hour, something something cortisol

honestly man if you look at most of the programming floating around Veeky Forums and the internet, nobody has any fucking idea how to program anything, especially benching and OHP

it's all low volume or low frequency rippetard meme shit on forums now

3,4, even 5x a week for bench/press is best

to press a lot you must press a lot holds true

I didn't know Justin was such a piece of shit.

You're giving out some really interesting info.
How, and how often do you train OHP yourself?

programming for a better press like ITT deserves to be added to the sticky

5 x currently. Been doing this for the last two weeks 3x with 5x5 (across) @ 50% seated press :

85kg x 3x3
90 x 3x3
95 x 2x2
100 x 1-3x1 (single @ 95%)

Will stop before, at, or push singles depending on feel. Testing max tomorrow at end of two week block.

Note that what I said previously is applied:

>Basically they trained at mostly around 85% for 1-3 reps, at 6-12 sets with rest typically lower than you're used to at around 2min, across 3 (minimum) to 5 max days per week and tested max every 1-4 weeks before adjusting max to reflect the new weight.

Beside this I snatch 2xweek, clean x1, c&j x1, front squat 2-3x when training olympic style. My snatch max is 110kg and c&j 132kg. I don't use squat style like modern weightlifters. Instead I split as I'm physically better built for it.

he' not, that guy seems to just autisticall hate him for whatever reason becausse people on Veeky Forums are deluded

>Google Jamie Lewis and his 'Destroy the Opposition' book
Jamie's legit. Veeky Forums likes to shout shill anytime someone links chaos&pain but he gives solid advice.

>depending on feel
what does this mean? i have literally never 'felt strong' in my life, or if i did i didn't recognise it. i'm not storng but i surpassed 1/2/3/4 ages ago

Are handstand pushups any good, Veeky Forums?

>handstand pushups
Yeah if you want to get really good at push-ups, but not really otherwise

can't speak for those but tsatouline holds the viewpoint that regular handstands are very useful to OHP because of the hand strength they build. he's big on having strong forearms in order to squeeze the bar harder for maximum stability

this is why i don't use a thumbless grip. my 5RM is 62kg though so don't take this as gospel, not that you would

I'll not do/stop the singles short depending on how hard it is that day.

Yeah. Google Paul Anderson. He did them as a SHW and was a great presser. No matter what the overtraining boogeymen say you won't kill yourself doing them 2x week on top of 3x OHP. Never done them myself as loading would be a nightmare and there are better accessories for OHP for me.

PUSH PRESS > OHP

why not both faggot? I press for my push press and push press for my press

of course, push press is the more fun lift because it looks more powerful at big weights

this
I only do volume for strict ohp and periodize my push press instead

the one time i tried them i felt a clicking in my neck that caused my neck to go into spasm. couldn't turn it for 2 days. never doing them again.

Ive been stalling at 115-120 lbs strict press for 3 reps. I added in landmine one hand presses and I was able to get to 125 one rep strict. I just started adding in landmines but Im wondering if its a really good addition.

Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm stalling at 135lbs/60kg- any way to break through? Do another set after my third? Push presses at then end? Back off sets with higher volume?

probably any of those would help. also, increase frequency. OHP likes a lot of volume and a lot of frequency, hugely more than squats or similar big lifts

what's your front squat, out of curiosity?

Thank you for this thread guys. I learned that the Texas Method is not a proper approach to increasing my presses, but periodization is the way to go.