/Keto General/

Hows it going fellow keto-fags?
Just made bacon cooked in fish oil and sopped up the fatty goodness with some asparagus

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell
keto-calculator.ankerl.com
amazon.com/Nu-Salt-Substitute-Shaker-3-Ounce/dp/B004EPBMRC
ruled.me/keto-diet-plan-best-and-worst-sweeteners/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2263061/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26428083
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why would you cook bacon with fish oil? You're wasting most of it. Just take the fish oil alone bro

no its actual fish oil cooking oil bro

i sopped that shit up with asparagus

Is there a retard's guide to keto? I know the idea is high fat, mid-level protein, low carb, but how do I know what level to set fat and protein at? Carbs have to be below 25g per day, right?

DAILY REMINDER THAT KETO IS A MEME AND YOU ARE ALL FALLING FOR IT

>ENJOY NO STRENGTH NO PUMP FATIGUE AND FLAT MUSCLES

but what about for cutting?

Just keep carbs below 25 and you should be good. Make sure to not overeat, though, but on keto you shouldn't even end up that hungry.

Just less water retention so the scale number looks better

I think you fell for the anti-keto meme.

Why are people subtracting grams of fiber from their carbs

Fiber is like niggers
Just wants a free ride but ends up in the shitter

>mfw ketosis, multivitamins, and xanax kicks in

I came to this board looking to start a bread and I'm glad it's already here.

Somehow I managed to get into this Veeky Forums pool about losing 15 lbs by the end of april. Of course that's ridiculously high for people who weigh under 200 lbs but it's one of those things that you aim really high and even if you fall short, you still win.

I've done keto before but the sugar withdraws really kill. Especially when I look at all the cookies and shit I can't eat anymore. And my half box of oreos. How do you do it, fit?

>wake up
>3 eggs fried in bacon sauce
>one tin of smoked cod liver for lunch
>snack on dried pepperettes and cooked, cheese stuffed hot dogs until dinner
>5 lb of dry aged steak lasting me every 2 days
>maybe a small salad
This shit gets expensive.

What's the maximum amount of carbohydrates I can consume to not break the glycogenic cycle? I hear you can have half a soda or something simple in simple sugars.
Can I eat TOO MUCH fat / protein?

Enjoy your acid blood

Why the fuck are you eating shit like fucking hotdogs nigga

use real meat

dont be a faggot no soda

if your dying that much drink some sparkling water

you cheat you are just a fatfuck

keto only works if your body is in ketosis
you start drinking sodas and this diet will make you 900 pounds of fat fuck

its a delicate system

hello scandi

Well they're not really hot dogs. They're just sausages with cheese in them that are thin like hot dogs. I'm also eating like 2 lbs of steak per day from my butcher. Next time their order comes in, I think I'll just get a full 10 lb top sirloin and cut those off as the day gets down.

Otay no soda. What about diet coke or diet bepis?

I just ate a dark chocolate bar and 5 packs of aspartame to keep the sugar cravings to a minimum. Dark chocolate has 20g of carbs so I think I can get away with one of these per day?

Can I have yoghurt or is the only sweet thing I can have these packages of aspartame and diet bepis? I hear caffeine and nicotine is good for the sugar cravings?

What's a Scandi?

Keto expert here. AMA.

Here's a very comprehensive intro:
reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/keto_in_a_nutshell

1. You need to download MyFitnessPal or something similar to track your macros and caloric intake.

2. Calculate the amount of macros you will need using the keto calculator:
keto-calculator.ankerl.com

3. Tl;dr
- You will want to stay

>Dark chocolate has 20g of carbs so I think I can get away with one of these per day?

Stop pushing it. Ideally, those 20-25 grams of carbs would come from vegetables. Not from chocolate bars eaten at once only to spike up insulin.

I personally have found out that it is easier to stay in ketosis with long fasts. You can even eat a bit more carbs this way, I usually do intermittent fasting almost 20-22 hours everyday.

Sugar cravings also should stop the longer you stay on keto. Stop eating those chocolate bars and aspartame diet cokes.

>Buy keto test strips at Walgreen's to determine when you're in ketosis.

You can be in ketosis even if your ketosticks would say you´re not.

Ketosticks only determine how many ketones there are present in your urine.

There is a possibility that if you are training extremely hard or your body is extremely adapted to keto, there are no ketones present in your urine because your body uses all of them for energy.

There are examples of people who have been in deep ketosis, but having negative tests from ketosticks. Everyone´s liver is different and some may not produce less ketones than needed for the body.

If you stay below 20gram of carbs ber day and moderate protein, you will be in ketosis no matter what those sticks say.

>What about diet coke or diet bepis?
works fine, no sugar in it and most are near 0 calories.

Keto literally increase the amount of mitochondria in your brain .

I woke up still feeling keto and it reminds me of like a clear fog at dawn feeling inside of my head.

So time to get absolute dark chocolate, eh? I have a few bars of 90 and 95% lying around.
Black coffee? Or do the natural sugars not help benefit?

Aspartame spikes insulin due to taste association, right? So your body naturally produces small amounts of insulin to deal with the upcoming blood sugar spike when it senses sweet stuff in your mouth?

How do I combat keto flu? Just stuff myself with foods containing sodium, potassium and magnesium?

Aspartame can spike insulin due to starches. Most artificial sweeteners contain maltodextrin or other dextrins that are worse for insulin levels than sugar. So, if something is sugar free, check for dextrins.

Buy chicken stock, Nu Salt (it's a salt replacement made with potassium) and himelayan pink salt. Boil 2 cups of stock and add 1/2 tsp of Nu Salt and 1/2 tsp himelayan pink salt. Season to your liking. Drink that shit. You should feel a bit better within a few hours. Do this daily and your keto flu will subside quickly.

This is absolutely 100% true. However, the keto sticks can be helpful even if not totally necessary. I definitely found them useful, but not everyone will.

I'm from Europe, so that stuff is not available. I've been drinking veggy stock like crazy. And having 2 cups will lessen my headache and sore throat for a few hours.

Almonds are full of potassium right? Can I just drink stock + eat some high electrolyte foods?

On a sidenote, does it matter if I drink veggy or chicken stock?

Yes, that should also work but I recommend chicken stock because it already contains about 400-500mg of potassium and 400-500mg of sodium, so when you add the salt and salt substitute you have consumed roughly 2000mg of potassium and sodium. That's a sufficient amount scrape by daily in case you can't make up for the difference in whatever else you eat. There is less in veggie stock so you'd still need to supplement - just a bit more than you'd have to with the chicken stock. Avocados and green leafy veggies like kale and spinach are high potassium foods. There is about 970mg of potassium in just one avocado. This can get expensive though, so I really recommend you buy some Nu Salt since it makes things much easier and more affordable. You can purchase it online.

amazon.com/Nu-Salt-Substitute-Shaker-3-Ounce/dp/B004EPBMRC

See

That's fucking retarded
Aspartame can spike insulin due to STARCHES? Like what nigger aspartame isn't a fucking starch so it will not affect insulin sensitivity due to starches. They're two completely different things that are in no way fucking related
>Most artificial sweeteners contain maltodextrin or other dextrins that are worse for insulin levels than sugar
Maltodextrin or dextrose are not worse for insulin levels than sugar.
and if you buy the powdered sweeteners there's the chance they're carb-loaded but if you fail to see the fucking calorie content in the first place you're retarded. Besides, talking about diet soda there's no maltodextrin or dextrose in there.

>keturds are literally becoming retards
Hahaha.
Vegans win AGAIN.

Here's a decent guide to artificial sweeteners from a keto perspective:
ruled.me/keto-diet-plan-best-and-worst-sweeteners/

Each packet contains 1g of carbohydrates. I've eaten 4 today.

Splenda contains: dextrose, maltodextrin, and sucralose. 1g of dextrose should last what... 30 minutes in your blood stream?

Thank you for this. Aspartame or Stevia would work best, eh? I'm going to go to the supermark't to pick up some stevia drops and some more cod liver. Fuck this stuff is great.

>inb4 hypervitaminAosis

It was my belief that excess potassium chloride is not good? What about iodine content in both?

Unrelated fun-fact: I work in a marijuana processing facility by the Leaf gubmn't and to neutralise some of the acids, we use potassium carbonate which ends up as the potassium salt in the weed pills. These actually double as a potassium supplement for certain cancer patients as long as they're taken in moderation with their other cocktails of drugs.

Oh yeah. And is black coffee not an issue?

I got this new Guatemalan mix coffee from Huehuetanango that has some sort of elevation rating. It tastes like it already has 1 teaspon of sugar in it despite being black.

You're very welcome! I use stevia almost exclusively.

>It was my belief that excess potassium chloride is not good? What about iodine content in both?
Honestly I'm not sure. I'll have to research this to be able to give you an answer. I'm assuming that consuming potassium chloride is probably less harmful than lacking enough potassium in general, though? We shall see. If this thread is still alive by the end of the day I will report back with my findings.

They're becoming smarter

>keTURDS
>smart
hahahaha
fucking retarded keTURD, no carbs makes you a weak no-gainz retard, LITERALLY mentally retarded.

If you're not a vegan you'll NEVER, EVER IN YOUR FUCKING LIFE make gains, be a good person, be smart OR!!! Make it.

>a normal middle aged women with a kid browses Veeky Forums

What the fug

>middle aged
Lol I'm 32 kiddo

>tfw newfags don't recognize my tripcode

just gone past 2 months in ketosis. losing weight but it slowed down recently still a long way to go on my weight

What was your hardest part in starting out? These sugar cravings are killer. But at least my teeth feel nice.

Sup bae. Looked up K levels. Looks like a dietary excess isn't absorbed well enough in the blood stream but minor doses of KCl are actually somewhat harmful if taken daily and throughout the day like NaCl would be.

>salty taytay.jpeg

Does fasting count as keto

keto is strictly no carbs so fasting may/may not trigger your liver to produce ketones when your body realizes its not getting any glucose

losing weight in the beginning has the same boost as beginner gains
once it becomes stagnant, youre gonna have to switch up your macros

You just need to injest the bare minimum of carbohydrates to "induce ketosis", but an optimal ketogenic diet should contain gratutious amounts of fiber and balanced (so both soluble and insoluble), so you will neither shit out a rock or go full diarrhea, and also you should take more vitamins and electrolytes due to both water loss and fat loss.

Keto is gud for fat niggas, whomst'd don't need to prioritize high intensity sports. I find that it works best for people who haven't ever dieted before and aren't used to more protein consumption. After I transitioned to focusing on incorporating more lifitng into my routine I stopped eating ketogenically, but also my appetite shot through the roof and I can't really see myself being sated on a ketogenic diet.

There is no reason to no go keto
Why would the race that evolved for millions of years eating fats and protein , WILD berries and fruit ( those hardly have more than 20 g of sugar per kilograms ) need sugar in any way or form ?
Why would we be anything-defficient from ours ancestors's diet ?

It take less oxygen to produce the same amount of ATP using fat rather than carbs
The metabolic pathway to do so is shorter, produce less waste that oxidize cells and need to be filtered by the kidney or built up in the muscle ( i'm looking at you lactate acid )
Keto seems to be the most natural and safe things you can do for your health

And why would it be less efficient at building muscle/ lifting heavy shit / doing shit for long period of time.

People fucked up their body with carbs for dozen of years , of course you can't be as efficient in just a month .

>of course you can't be as efficient in just a month

it's a lifestyle

IT's clearly a lifestyle , and once you unfuck your palate you finally understand that you now have access to MORE diversity in cooking .

And the maintenance CICO for lean body fat% is naturally done

Oh shit. No bueno. So much for my super cheap and convenient potassium hack. ;__;

i starterd keto this month.
just a few questions:

1) is ~100g-150g per meal enough?
2) how many meals per day? im currently aiming at 3-5 meals per day but i tend to just eat 3 times a day
3) should i take vitamine supplements?
4) how do i know that my body is in ketosis? there are no shops here that sell those stripes so is there any evidence my body shows that its in keto?

You get this feeling of being in ketosis. And it feels like a light brain fog. Some people are more pronounced than others.

I'm eating these little vitamin gummies that are half a gramme of carb each. Why not?

Whale, you can still take KCl in moderation. But this shit is bad for your heart.

There's a raisin why people people stopped the "salt substitute" back in the 90s. Heart issues is probably it. Also it just tastes a bit weird...

That only occurs in diabetics who eat too much carbs. Ironically ketoacidosis doesn't happen with those on a ketogenic diet.

Shit I missed this comment.

This is right. Your liver or kidneys have to fail in order for ketone bodies to really spike your blood acidity. Normal people on ketosis do not have such an issue as they are healthier than others.

I'm having a pumpernickel and peanut butter sandwich and some salt n vinegar chips rn
>u jelly

lb of dry aged steak lasting me every 2 days
>This shit gets expensive.

>I'm also eating like 2 lbs of steak per day from my butcher

How fat are you? Maybe try cheaper meat.

I ate 2 lbs of rare steak today, 1 tin of cod liver, 8 slices of bacon, 4 large eggs today, and 4 little gummy vitamins.

I will not gain weight in fat.

>u jelly user?
[spoiler]Otay that was a good pun on your end, though. So I'll respect that [/spoiler]

Black coffee is great. I drink 3 quarts of (mostly decaf) black coffee. Morning caffeine compliments keto nicely.

>It was my belief that excess potassium chloride is not good

True. Do NOT take straight potassium chloride. Either take it with food, or with a roughly equal of sodium.

165 lbs, 176 cm

I'm otay with paying that much since I enjoy every single meal I eat right now. Plus I get a discount if I buy more than 5 lbs of steak at my butcher's.
Might go in there and get four full racks of lamb tomorrow, actually. I haven't ever been able to eat the fat off the lamb without gaining a lot of weight but now that I'm on keto...

Oh and they also have this wild boar chops. It's like 66% fat. You grill it on fat side down for like 10 minutes and it reduces in weight by like 33%. It's ridiculous. I used to use the drained fat to fry bison, venison, or other game meat.

I might be loving my butcher a bit too much this month.

Why does caffeine (and apparently nicotine gum / cigars) complement keto? I know nicotine drains your body of glucose. But why caffeine?

Same poster from , just elaborating:

Ketoacidosis occurs mainly in diabetics. Lack of insulin (or lack of sensitivity to insulin) causes the body to flood their bloodstream with glucose. When it is unable to push any more glucose into their bloodstream, their body thinks it is starved of carbs, and starts producing ketones. Because severe diabetics can't make use of the available glucose, their bodies overreact way more than someone voluntarily putting their body in a ketogenic state.

Am I allowed to eat fruit on ketosis? I just ate half an orange with a friend and I'm scared I might go off ketosis now.

Caffeine improves your body's ability to burn fat, whether or not you're in keto. It also:

>raises your metabolism
>suppresses appetite
>helps you exercise harder
>coffee improves insulin sensitivity

Consider adding tree nuts, flax, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, and peanuts to your diet. A serving only adds 2-4 net carbs, it's cheap, and adds variety. I like to mix a batch with pure cocoa powder and make keto granola.

What about poppy seed tea?

>eating an orange while keto

Look up the macros of fruit, then compare that with your 25g net carb budget.

The only fruit I consumer is elderberry juice from concentrate. The brand I get only has 1g per serving. It supplies C3G, which lowers your body's set point. Helpful once your weight loss plateaus.

Google it you fucking moron

>Whale

I lel'd heartily. You have no idea what I look like but feel free to search my trip in the archive if you want to find out.

Not me but I did Google this: "!Ziz8ps0aw6"

You're cute for a 32 year old. cosplaying / anime is a mild turnoff for me (ree vanillafags get off this board) but have one of my favourite taytays as a symbol of our mutual cuteness.

Also have a funny backstory with one of my IRL word filters:
>sitting in Taynger (my ford ranger) with a grill i picked up for a first date
>she's cool, 8/10 qt, doesn't have similar interests but good chemistry
>she says she has to wake up early for church tomorrow so i can't get too drunk
>know the surrounding high schools are christian or secular
>ask her "oh are you catholic or prostitute"
>oh fucc.exe, internally screaming
>2 second silence feltl ike 5 minutes
>"ahahahahaha. no user. i'm a protestant if that's what you mean"
We've been really good friends ever since.

cringe

shut up user. i'm drunk and on ketosis.
you don't know me.

cringe

Alcohol kills the keto

Sry.

Really? They told me that alcohol being a non macro is fine so like 5 glasses of whiskey (or other distilled alcohol) is fine.

Nope it's all empty carbs the only alcohol that's keto-friendly is red wine

How?! That has insane amount of sugars?
Also empty carbs but it doesn't contribute to glycogen reserves, does it? What isn't burned for energy is simply discarded in your urine.

No it doesn't.

no it doesnt.

This is wrong, don't drink wine on keto, don't drink beer. Hard liquor like Whiskey, vodka, gin, etc. etc. is totally fine as long as you mix it with keto friendly things like diet soda or diet tonic water or something. The reason they say not to drink too much on keto is because your body will prioritize burning the alcohol instead of burning fat because alcohol is a poison and your body wants to get rid of it ASAP

"All things are poisonous. It is the dosage that determines how poisonous."

So it just pauses the ketosis until the alcohol is out of the blood stream. That's what I fugging thought until this user came on me: >40943808

Also I'm sure Rum and Bourbon have mildly high sugar content, too.

>poppy seed tea
stop that , fuckin junkies

>Rum and Bourbon have mildly high sugar content, too.

nope, unless they're flavored with something extra, all straight hard liquors will have no sugar content.

Vodka, whiskey, gin, rum, bourbon, tequila even.

I thought charred wood and their agenig techniques impart sugars into the mixtures but I can't find a single source on that. Weird.

Good to know, user.

as far as i have ever been able to tell, it's just the flavored stuff you have to watch out for, and even then a lot of them are fine too, it's just the cheap ones that use artificial stuff.

Like i know New Amsterdam flavored vodkas are fine, but stuff like Burnetts is not

>7 days in
>mom brought me some "chicken broth"
>drank a whole liter
>later i found out it was actually chicken NOODLE soup broth
>8g per cup
>this plus my 20g of broccoli a day puts me at around 40g carbs

pls tell me i didn't fuck up 7 days and have to start ketosis again, i feel just fine really.

are those total carbs or net carbs?

Did you fucking name your car after Taylor Swift

>blueberry muffin quest bars

I bought 2. What am I in for tomorrow?

>Ironically ketoacidosis doesn't happen with those on a ketogenic diet.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2263061/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26428083

well subtracting the fiber from the broccoli would only take around 4g carbs away, i don't know what veggies my mum used for the chicken noodle soup, but let's say that my average was 30-35g

I mean, iirc ketosis doesn't really work like that right? if you're on ketosis for a week and then consume, let's say, 100g of carbs, you're not gonna magically have to wait another 3-4 days for your body to enter ketosis right? (except for the first time you try keto where you're normally used to eat +300g of carbs a day) it just doesn't sound right.

that is correct, yeah. some people can go as high as 40-50g carbs in a day and still stay in ketosis, and even if it knocked you out of it, it wouldnt take any longer than a day at most to burn off those few extra carbs. no worries, friend

Anybody find it retardedly easy to get into ketosis? Took me two days and I had no brain fog or anything (I've been pissing on the ketostix past two weeks they're purple as fuck). I just eat fatty meats, eggs, nuts and have big ass salads or sautée some peppers in olive oil. No cravings at all, I had a terrible diet before this that was insanely high in carbs and close to no vegetables could this have something to do with it?