What's a good routine for a beginner?

I am 5'9" and 130 pounds. Please do not recommend starting strength, because I am aware of it being just a meme.

Other urls found in this thread:

tacticalbarbell.com/
gymbull.com/tags/genesis
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just kys.

Body weight
>pushups
>situps
>pullups
>squats
>isometric exercises

Read the sticky you toothpick looking ass fag.

If you think you need more volume (you don't) do SL 5x5 with accessories.

You should definately hop on the bulgarian method. A lot of volume on the squat but since you're a beginner you won't even feel it since you can adapt quickly. You won't injure yourself at all m8 go for it.

Starting Strength and GOMAD

>a
3x5 bench
3x5 squat
3xf chinups
3x10 DB bench

>b
5x3 clean & press***
1x5 deadlift
3x8 DB row
3x10 curls (reverse for forearm, or supinating DB for pure bicep)

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

***If you're too pussy for the cleans, just do 3x5 ohp

how old are you?

I know you're baiting but I've wondered how it's come to this regarding SS. People unironically think it's a meme? Starting Strength does literally everything it advertises and nothing it doesn't. It's not the program or Mark Rippetoe's fault people are too retarded to understand how it works. It's not the gun's fault it kills people and it's not SS's fault people end up with vastly disproportionate bodies.

Either way you should kill yourself, OP for not reading the fucking sticky and for being too retarded to do proper research.

I just wanted some fitness advice, cunt. I'm sorry that you'd much rather see some /r9k/ whining or some /fatty/ generals that are the same everytime.

Even if that's true you piece of shit, it says on the first fucking post of this board that any questions regarding routines shouldn't be posted until after you've read the sticky.

Well, good thing I've read the sticky.

SS isnt a meme. its a very good beginner program that will make you alot stronger

you can throw in some accessories if you want (pic)

and move on to a different program when you start stalling -even though your food and recovery are on point-

Greyskull lp :^)

Read the sticky you fucking moron

Nigger you weigh 130 lbs. you should be carrying a copy of starting strength around in your pocket tied down to your belt loop with parachute cord. You should be wearing a camelbak filled with milk.

PPL, SL, proper brosplit, you have tons of options man.
SS is a meme because Rippetoe is a fucking meme. He unironically believes he knows more than experts in their fields in a lot of different health related topics, and likes to talk out of his ass. Most notably the "Rippetoe squat" he likes to shill. Absolute shit.

However, SS is a meme to Veeky Forums the same way Glocks are a meme to /k/ and (insert american car company you dislike) is a meme on Veeky Forums. Do they work? Of course. Are they the best at what they do? Not always. Are there other, arguably better options available? Absolutely.

Now, I did SS for like 2 months then switched to a PPL because it fit both my work and running schedule infinitely better. SS is not an end-all answer. Calories in>calories out, low rep high weight compounds, minimal (between 2-4) accessories, and you're going to build strength. If you want hypertrophy weeks then go for it, but unless you're over a year in I don't even believe they're necessary. Especially when I'm breaking PRs almost weekly without them.

7 months in, 145 lbs at 5'8, and already squat 225x2, bench 175x5, and OHP 100x8. I also run 2 miles in 17 minutes. That's doing a PPL for 7 months. Just eat, lift and sleep, you're going to make progress if you follow the simple rules of lifting.

Thanks. Helpful advice.

>That's doing a PPL for 7 months
5 months*

Also, I'd like to point out I started at 125lbs. I have built 20lbs of muscle in 7 months and have minimal bf% increase. In fact, I think my bodyfat percentage actually went down slightly.

>recommending brosplits

and ripptoe never claims to know more than experts. he claims that his methods are easy to follow and get results. which they do. his squat isnt shit, its easy for a beginner to understand and works

basically anything will work for an absolute beginner so the simplest program is the best. SS and SL are the simplest programs available

and your stats are shit, so I have no idea why you think you should be telling other people whats best

> ICF 5x5
> Kethnaabs SS
> Alphadestiny Novice programs

These are the best for novice, IMO. Reddit PPL will work nicely too, but full body is the way to go.

But, besides lifting routine, do push-ups and chin-ups at home, 4-6 times a day, everyday. Don't reach failure on this, but try to improve your reps weekly. This is called "greasing the groove" and it's essential for beginners bc it will 1) teach good form for lifts, 2) add a lot of volume so you actually get bigger quicker.

>just listening to people who reaffirm your own stupid ideas and ignoring people who give actual good advice

lmao

Holy shit those stats are awful.

>and ripptoe never claims to know more than experts.
Not to defend this cunt, but Rippetoe often claims he knows more than the American Heart association, doctors, physical therapists, etc. He claims this in a video where he shows the "lift with your ass" squat that can lead to injury.

Those stats are about average for someone that's 145 pounds...

>Thread

No.
>hurr if it isn't ss it's bad advice
If you look again, disregarding the stats, the advice is solid. Eat, sleep, lift, not rocket science.

I meant more along the lines of training. not health, but
>American Heart association and doctors
I assume he claimed that most of the stuff they say to do with cholesterol and fat is just scaremongering, which I partially agree with

>physical therapists
are a meme who often dont know what theyre talking about

and while I dont squat like that, I wouldnt consider his squat to be injury prone

he does say some stupid shit. but admits he doesnt know much about nutrition and to take what he says with a pinch of salt

>20lbs of muscle in 7 months
Fucking retarded newfags shouldn't give advice on shit they don't know anything about

hmmmmm whats the sticky for?

Post your pic then tough guy
>inb4 fatass

he started by trying to discredit the program by criticising ripptoe, not the program itself, which is stupid

he claimed brosplits were viable, which theyre not

I agree that anything will work for a beginner as long as other factors (that you listed are in order) and ss is the simplest and therefor easiest way to do that

the only reason OP doesnt want to do ss is because he wrongly believes its a meme program and is ignoring everyone who says otherwise

>he started by trying to discredit the program by criticising ripptoe, not the program itself, which is stupid

He compared it to memes on other boards, saying there are other viable options and ss isn't a program that makes every other program meaningless. SS isn't as much the meme as GOMAD in my opinion.

The way people shill SS is the real meme. It's a fine program, but don't act like because it exists every other program is pointless.

>he claimed brosplits were viable, which theyre not
I don't think you know what a brosplit is. Arnold did a brosplit.

Read the sticky.

If you actually did you would know that Starting Strength and Strong Lifts are not meme-routines.

I would definitely recommend accessories and some modification in order to make it less powerlifter oriented, but it works none the less and its quite accessible.

Don't do this dear god.

>5'8

it doesnt make other types of programming pointless for more advanced people

for beginners, ss and other programs that follow similar ideas (sl, greyskull etc) do make other programs pointless

theres no point doing a ppl or u/l and doing your own programming when simple, effective programs from reputable sources exist

I would encourage everyone to learn how to program for themselves, but novices need hand holding, and thats what ss is best for

arnold was also
>on drugs
>a genetic high responder
>around at a time where people didnt know any better

he was also paid to spread misinformation by bb magazines who want to sell gimmicks, similar to how bb magazines do now

Shut the fuck up, you know nothing

>on drugs
As are many people today
>a genetic high responder
Does not exist
>around at a time where people didnt know any better
You can say that, but he made progress, so you can't sit there and believe that he didn't know better. Him, Lou Ferrigno, Frank Zane, they all knew what they were doing, and it wasn't SS or greyskull.

Tiny trip for your tiny twink ass
>Brappp

op isn't one of the people on drugs tho

genetics definitely do play a role in how effective both drugs and trying stimulus are. only a retard would deny this

who's to say whether Arnold or any of the others you listed would have seen better progress on modern programming. brosplits are defiantly more viable for roiders tho

op is a beginner, not a high level bodybuilder

you didn't bother arguing my last point

>brosplits are defiantly more viable for roiders tho
Donaldtrumpwrong.png

If roiders did SS they would be even bigger, even faster. SS is a powerlifting routine, and pro bodybuilders would benefit from doing SS instead of their retarded bullshit. Only reason they make progress at all is because roids. If they did SS to begin with, along with the roids, they'd be peak powerlifters at the olympic level. As you can see with oly powerlifters, they follow similar routines to SS.

/thread

>If roiders did SS they would be even bigger, even faster.
Fucking retarded shills.

Just do what the sticky says
I started a month ago and it's been alright
> I still need to upgrade my diet though

>Fucking retarded shills.
What did he mean by this?
>5'8 145lb twinklet giving advice

Kek

opinions?

>If roiders did SS they would be even bigger, even faster.
yes if you're comparing to non roiders doing SS
>SS is a powerlifting routine,
I guess you could call it that
>and pro bodybuilders would benefit from doing SS instead of their retarded bullshit.
well this post went retarded fast, they train for hypertrophy because they want size, not strength
>Only reason they make progress at all is because roids.
they are a big part of it, but they're not 100% of it, more like 90%
>If they did SS to begin with, along with the roids, they'd be peak powerlifters at the olympic level.
and they wouldn't have as much muscle size which is what they're after, also the peak powerlifters roid (sorry to break your heart) so no I doubt they would
>As you can see with oly powerlifters, they follow similar routines to SS.
get educated

You can't just say "No." and expect to be taken seriously. Give a real reason or let the kid do his pushups ffs.

Also to that post: Yes.

>fit actually made people believe SS is a meme

you are 5'9 130, you really have no right to ditch any routines because internet picture board memes about it.

Just do some basic barbell with SS and SL as guidelines and eat a lot for a couple of months before being a routine slave.

SS, SL, are good because they are simple enough for beginners. Just do accessories if you don't think it's cool enough

>He claims this in a video where he shows the "lift with your ass" squat that can lead to injury.

It is called "hip drive" and the ass does not lift alone. The back angle is to be maintained. He is just using an initial training technique to make sure people use their poster chain.

>I also run 2 miles in 17 minutes
Fatass detected

A problem I've had doing SS/5x5 ect is lack of staying power. Like I'll get close to 1.5/2.5/3.5/4 and then get injured and quit for months.

I think the problem is conditioning. Like I am at the point where I'm so out of shape I have trouble doing more than 1 heavy compound per session. I had a lot better results back in highschool when I was doing a lot of sports related conditioning.

Right now, I'm following this crosstraining program

tacticalbarbell.com/

it was made for police and military types. You start by building a conditioning base with long runs and circuit work, then you move into a 3 day a week lifting routine while you also do 3 days of conditioning work (2 high intensity, 1 long slow run) and have a rest day.

I'd advise you to start by building a conditioning base because it will make making weightlifting gains easier.

KEK a camelpak with milk my fucking sides

I've been doing this for a couple months at 5'7" and 50kg. I can squat my own (feather) bodyweight pretty comfortably, no idea if I'm going too slowly or just right though. I've noticed myself getting stronger at least.

Those stats are pretty good for untrained to 7 months progression especially for 145 lbs. Try finding people who can bench way over their weight for 5 reps after only 7 months of training.

After doing a bro split with a bunch of accessories and seeing minimal gains, I returned to SL and upped my squats from 185 to 285 and gained about 5 pounds.

I'm not happy with the rest of my lifts and feel I've plateaued at 335 DL

A
Squat 5x5 @ 285
DL 1x5 @ 335
OHP 5x5 @ 100

B
Squat 5x5 @ 285
Bench 5x5 @ 165
Bent over row 5x5 @ 125

Plus 20 min cardio cooldown

Not happy with bf% so thinking of keeping the weight static but cutting calories and gradually adding cardio

Hardest part is living in a city on a good salary and eating out/ drinking regularly. It would be nice to hit 1/2/3/4 this year but I also am more interested in aesthetics for summer.

Literally considering Sips at this point

>7 months in
These are the people giving advice like they're experts on here

Okay so I can do about 8 push ups and 3 pull ups (questionable form on pull ups)

The equipment I have is 2x 25kg adjustable dumbells, pull up bar and a black wodfitters resistance band.

Is my routine good? Can you suggest something better?

3x8-14 goblet squats
3xf push-ups
3x8 pull ups/negatives
Ab work like planks, side planks etc

SL5x5 + c25k

If you can't bench 225 you shouldn't even bother to start lifting

>>pushups
>>situps
And plenty of juice

gymbull.com/tags/genesis

pic related

Hey I'm also new and I wanted to start with something simple. Tonight I started by going for a run and alternating in push ups in the rest periods. Now I am overweight and out of shape. The thing I am wondering is; is it normal for my chest to hurt after running? I kept going and got it done, but by the end of it my chest hurt like a motherfucker. Is it just something I will have to persevere through?

>tfw used to date a high school girl
>tfw anal after school all the time
Fark, I miss those days

yes

Okay, that's good. I was slightly worried it was actually a problem.

Rofl

>thinks SS is a meme
you fell for the actual meme, enjoy never making it.

>those lifts after 7 months
SS got me past all of your lifts and ive only been doing it for 2 months.

I'm way more happy with my progress after switching to a bro split, although I did SS at the beginning which was great for building up your competencies at the main lifts (exactly what SS is designed for, duh).

Just be clear with yourself about what you want to achieve. A lot of people who are advocating for only compound movements + low reps and heavy weights are looking to add as much weight onto the bar as possible as their motivation. If your goal is looking athletic then sticking to a routine like that is not going to be the most efficient workout for your goal.