Why do we take this man seriously again?

Why do we take this man seriously again?

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/articles/weightlifting_strength_rippetoe.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because he's forgotten more about fitness than you'll ever know

Cowboy accent

No, he's only stolen his ideas from Bill Burr and created a dogmatic, cultish following that attracts newcomers into strength training because they don't know any better. Case in point, (you).

He can 5plate diddly at his age with better form then you. Plus he has a mustach and is from texas.

it's really just this. he's a smug asshole, and his personality and confidence makes it seem like he's a strength guru, when really he lacks a lot of basic knowledge.

Do we take him seriously though?

SS-fags worship this guy, and it seems they're a sizeable portion of Veeky Forums.

I thought the majority of it was just bait.

friendly reminder

because other people have

He's not wrong about a few things
High frequency is GOAT, and his programming is pretty alright if you also do chin ups every workout

>lacks a lot of basic knowledge

this is just perfect coming from someone on Veeky Forums

People take him seriously because he's usually right. Just look at the evolution of people like Candito and Greg Nuckols. They both start their 'careers' talking shit or calling out Rippetoe and then a few years down the line they have gone full circle and are verbatim touting everything that's been in SS for the last decade

He intentionally skirts around a lot of the minutia when it comes to lifting but that's because those are things that simply don't matter in the grand scheme. For example, the importance of isolation movements. The amount of muscular activation in a particular movement. What movement makes your muscles grow the biggest. And so on.

The dude is simply wise and just right about most things.

Most Rippetoe fanboys have some complaints though. Personally, I see no reason to practice cleans as a part of any long term strength program but he vehemently swears it's necessary

I also think there is an element of cardio benefits that should be acknowledged by him. I'm not talking endurance running - but prowlers and the like certainly fit into the overall longevity angle he's taking with the program

It's usually those
>i've been lifting 2-5 years and look aesthetic and feel strong
type retards who suddenly think they know everything about lifting who hate on him because they don't like his successful, simple routine.

He describes the clean starting position used by most weightlifters as an error, and instead prescribes that the starting position mimic the conventional deadlift. Greg Everett has an article that addresses the problems with this method of teaching the clean better than I could. He also points out that a vertical bar path is not very applicable to weightlifting, which Rippetoe insists is the pinnacle of good technique.

This cringeworthy article is a pretty good insight into Rippetoe's ignorance on weightlifting.

startingstrength.com/articles/weightlifting_strength_rippetoe.pdf

In Rippetoe's mind, the reason the US is not successful internationally in Olympic weightlifting is because US lifters are not strong enough. This is what happens when you have a dogmatic ideology like Rippetoe: you try to apply it to everything, but this is both misguided and objectively false. We have lifters like Nathan Damron squatting 317kg @ 94kg, 16-year-old CJ Cummings front squatting 500lb for triples, Kendrick Farris, etc. If you want to go back a bit, we have Shane Hamman (who Rippetoe mentions in the article), who squatted 1007lb for what was at the time a powerlifting world record but failed to medal at the Olympics. Making American weightlifting internationally competitive is not as simple as "more strength."

Part of the reason is that the most important strength in weightlifting is that which is specific to the sport of weightlifting. Specificity is obviously incredibly important. Rippetoe doesn't understand this at all. He states that American weightlifters need to improve their conventional deadlift and use low bar back squats instead of the Olympic squat. These exercises use positions that are not used in Olympic weightlifting, and they have little transfer to weightlifting.

>his successful, simple routine
>his

Thank Bill Burr, not Rippetoe.

>using powerlifting """lifts""" as a measure of strength

tippity top kek

I don't think that's the correct way to interpret what he was saying. His point is that strength is the fundamental adaptation that sets the foundation for every athletic performance that follows. His theory is that a climber that squats 500 will be a better climber. A runner that squats 500 will be a better runner. And a weightlifter that increases his deadlift will therefore be a better weightlifter.

But that's exactly what Rip is doing. He thinks the US Olympic weightlifting team is shit is because they're not strong enough, i.e. they can't squat and deadlift enough. Fine, let's take his measure of strength and prove he's completely wrong, as I did.

Rip can teach a noob how to increase his squat. Great, you learned from Bill Burr and created a new race of T-Rex's, but stop talking about shit that's beyond your reach.

>And a weightlifter that increases his deadlift will therefore be a better weightlifter.

But mate, this is demonstratively false, at least at the elite level. The difference between gold and not getting a medal isn't how much you can deadlift. This is a textbook case of "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". He only understands strength, and if you the Olympic team, with members squatting and deadlifting ridiculous numbers, isn't placing, then it's because they're too weak.

Bill Starr* fucking hell I'm tired.

there is nothing high frequency about rippetoe's programming, you bench an average of 6x a month on SS

Greg and Rippe are very very far apart on anything programming related, and remain so

I don't recall herniated spines ever being a point of contention between the two, so that's a shit example

yeah but that's not actually true

yeah pretty much this

Rippetoe was a middle of the road equipped powerlifter, and through practical experience has devised a really good way to train novices and make them strong. That's it. His experience does not extend beyond that, and his word is not gospel.

anybody from JTS, Greg Nuckols, Boris Sheiko, or even /plg/ will give you better advice once you are actually out of DYELmode and pursuing bigger lifts

the only options for intermediate programming I've seen from the SS crowd are TM (which even Rippetoe now thinks most people shouldn't do) and andy baker's HLM stuff, and neither is periodized past a weekly cycle (and all are squat myopic routines, as is typical)

>Bill Burr

P-P-PARADIGM SHIFT