Hello Veeky Forums!

Hello Veeky Forums!

Im doing bjj and No-Gi and while I can see improvement in cardio, I really have problem with power.
Since its my goal to be able to compete in both bjj and No-Gi I really need to be able to grow my strength without adding too much muscle mass. Can anyone give some advice for a noob like me?

lift weights

I can give you advice on technique. you shouldn't be using strength for anything besides finishers and submissions.

Conserve energy as much as you can, are you a white belt? white belts tend to try to muscle through everything but that doesn't help. you've got to use technique. strength comes into play when you lock in a submission and then you should unleash all your strength trying to finish to the point you exhaust yourself choking your opponent.

Lift people
Lift weights
SPAR AS MUCH AS YOU CAN
Be willing to wait. you'll improve alot in the first 6 months then its a grind to improve every technique. always have 3-5 different ways to get to your favourite positions.

white with 2 stripes.
My biggest problem is not the finishing but more like in the "grappling" part of the match. Ive competed in couple of matches and had mixed success. I tend to get overpowered by bigger opponen.

>I tend to get overpowered by bigger opponen.

You need to learn the moves that neutralize and control explosive opponents. BJJ is 80% technique and 20% conditioning

Yes, what Im trying to explain is that for example, when the match starts I really dont have power to move my bigger opponents to make them go unbalance. I know I need to improve my techniques but also I really just feel like too much weaker. All that goes away with higher belts when skill grows more?

yes, BJJ is specifically designed for fighting larger more powerful opponents than yourself. There is a technique for what is giving you trouble.

I usually let the opponent get on top, pull them into half guard, and sweep. low energy and hits at a high percentage. plus it gets you on top without having to use any energy which I think is what you want, though I prefer the submissions you get from the back.

also try describing your problem to an instructor and ask for a technique or strategy to counter your problem

At white belt you're athleticism is just going to be there or it's not. There's no quick road to success. Lift weights, stretch properly, attend class, and control your diet.

Well thanks for answering guys!

Blue belt checking in. Just go to class man, you are a still a whitebelt. You can achieve so much more technique as of now and BJJ class itself will, unless you train in a McDojo, be great for having a great base conditioning. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

With that said, I've begun training bodyweightfitness and I can see great progress both in and out of class. However, I would just advice you to bulk with your strength routine in between competitions and then cut for whenever needed. If you really don't want to add muscle mass for some silly reason then just don't eat at a caloric excess.

Not OP here, but does training no-gi translate to BJJ skill?

I have some friends who are into BJJ, and I'd like to battle them some day, but I plan on training no-gi because the no-gi gym is much closer and cheaper.

Im not against building muscle mass. I just dont want to build too much since most of the time weighing is right before the match and since Im manlet, I dont want to go against even bigger opponents just because I wasnt able to do a good cut.

depends
if you roll with a gi or street cloths, specifically a jacket, they will have a large advantage having a larger move pool

the advantage of no gi is that you don't have to rely on your opponent wearing a jacket or loose clothing, they could just be wearing a shirt you know.

I get what you are saying, but I've just accepted the fact that some people will be bigger, have better athleticism or just be plain better. I personally feel waaaay better in my new weight class, but I've been doing a fairly lean bulk. Besides while strength is always good and helpful, technique is just the way of the game.
>Show up to class

Im doing normal bjj 3 times a week and No-Gi 2 times a week.

Sounds great! You'll see improvement in no time especially showing up to class that often.

Gi more easily translates to no-gi than vice-versa. You're gonna find that your friends have no problems breaking your grips on their gi and that you can't break their grips on yours.

Blue belt here, as well. Gonna get this purple beltch before summer ends if I can get my hamstring to heal..

I've got a pretty nuts routine that someone posted on here a LONG time ago that I followed religiously when I first saw it. Dude apparently did jiu-jitsu too and said it's what he used to gain strength and stamina while staying lean and avoiding having to move up a weightclass. I still use parts of it in my current weekly routine.

I got some pretty ridiculous push/pull gains and insane grip strength from it. Really blew some people away with the power I got, especially bigger dudes I trained with. If you're interested I can dig for the OG infographic. I'm sure it's still somewhere in my Veeky Forums folder.

OP here
please do if you see this post

find it pls

Remember that to avoid getting smashed and smothered by bigger guys, you'd want to keep some distance to them by framing and shrimping.

lift weights

>strength without muscle mass

this is technically possible but least efficient way of doing it

get big and strong