What percent of the US population can bench 225?

I've always been weak af on flat bench so when I hit 225 for a few (keep in mind I'm in highschool) I felt good and told some bros at school.
>Some that's nothing, I've seen freshmen put up that weight.
>Can you do it tho?
>....No
So I am wondering what percent of the US can bench 2pl8s touching chest?

1%

0.350%

Underage. Please go.

Turned 18 a couple months ago, I am a senior.

nigga in OP image grip so wide you could fly a plane through it

t. armlet

>not grabbing on the outside of plates to get that fat grip bar action going

probably

considering there's % that's obese and obese people can easily bp 2pl8, I say 7-9%

btw this is my guess for males in the 16-35 age set (prime physical health, i guess.)

I think they did a study and it's like 1 and every 1000 man on average can do it.

Can't find the study but its like 2% of males will be able to bench 225 at some point in their life

5%

225 for what?

Saying 225 doesn't mean anything.

How many sets and how many reps?

If you can't at least do a clean 3x5 then you can't say you bench 225.

If you do 1x1 of 225 you have by definition just benched 225. Fuck off with your goal post moving. At least say you aren't "strong" until you do 3x5 or something

>1000 lbs deadlift is the now world record
>HURR BUT FOR HOW MANY REPS AND SETS
advanced autism

right now? probably

no 5% of the population including women cannot bench 2 pl8s you fucking dip

5%

People who dont lift or do some sort of workouts that involve chest stuff will not be able to bench over 100kg.

Its must be a stupidly low number.
Hell, it must be a low number if you only consider those who go into the gym.

Just keep lifting and bench 3 pl8s then people will shut the fuck up or theyre lying

I live in Germany, we have the same amount of unfit fatties like you guys, so probably 10% of the population does sports and from them maybe 2% weight lifting (in terms of powerlifting or bodybuilding). I'm benching only 110 kg, squatting 120 kg and deadlift 170 kg, and I find hardly anyone who is bigger than me except for security in clubs.

That means 225 is your max. Not your working weight. It's not moving the goalpost.

My working weight for the bench is 230 3x5. Officially have to get chalk to move further since even having a little swat on my heads causes my hands to spread during the bench. Shit sucks.

If your stalling, try doing a pyramid routine. Has broken many plateaus doing this method.

Your bench is ass and your grip is too

>Itt that one fat bald guy who wears a lifting belt 24/7 who used to rep 315 and nearly made it to the pro league before Injurying himself and is currently over bulking his 16 year old son who can't fit in jeans anymore as he drops him off to school in his Ford f150 with flames on it.

>Chalk
>Benching 230

You're not even close to the point of this thread, what are you even doing.
OP asked how many CAN bench 225, not how many can do full sets of 225.
Being able to bench just one rep means that they can bench 225, jesus christ.

Less than 1/10 of people who regularly train in gyms.

you must be the old fucker at the gym who wears a flame bandanna and gives out shitty, unsolicited advice

It's actually a surprisingly low amount. The average adult male can only bench ~1pl8 for a few reps at most. We see many posters here claiming that 2pl8 is light weight, but that is only true for people that lift and have been doing so for a while.

If you cant clean atleast 225kg 3x5 then you honestly cant say you lift.

>he doesn't reach around the base of the bench and lifts it along with the racked bar and weights
and you wonder why your chest won't grow LMAO

Glad I wasn't the only one like WTF is this, bro your grip is shit if you chalk anything that light outside of a dumbell shrug. I chaulk before my Max bench efforts but I'm putting up 405 for singles

87.5kg bench here

bench always succeeds in psyching me out, I get nervous and lose tightness in my back arch or get too nervous for a 5th rep when the 4th already went slow

not very high, I go to the gym for 5 years and in that time I literally see maybe one person a week benching 225+

and this is already the section of the population going to the gym

so for overall % of the population, it's definitely a small number

>The average adult male can only bench ~1pl8
I doubt even that. It's easily achievable to get that level of strength but I've heard too many people that "used to gym" think 100kg is "very heavy".

I'm just basing this off of what I and other people I have taken lifting were able to do when first starting out. People that I would consider to have relatively average thin build ended up with ~35lb on each side for reps after the first two weeks.
From this starting point, they have to approximately double their bench in order to make it to 2pl8. It's easily achievable, in that most anybody that legitimately puts in the effort will be able to hit it after some amount of time, probably a year or two. That is much more than most people have put in. Most people don't make it. They let life get in the way or just get apathetic and quit. Talk to most anybody and they will say that they used to go to the gym. It may only take a year or two at most for most people to hit, but most people, even of those that take the initiative to go to the gym in the first place, don't even display that level of commitment.

he's not having a grip problem, he's having a shitty bar problem

benching with bars that have really shallow knurling sucks, as soon as your hands start to sweat you'll have a hard time keeping your grip from widening

t. guy who benched with the shittiest bar in the universe a few weeks ago and learned this

never had that problem before, but my hands literally started drifting apart on this total piece of dogshit

>you are kind of strong

5x5 225 reporting in. Had a set of 230x5 last week gonna add another this one.

Probably 2-3 percent.

Women cant ~50 percent left
Pretty much any man under 16 or over 50 cant (about half the male population) ~25 percent left
Only 10 percent of guys consistently go to the gym = 25*0.1 = 2.5%

your math is off

not everyone going to the gym is benching 225

most people aren't

I said consistently.

If you are a consistent gym goer you can bench 225. Otherwise just kill yourself.

Mathwise it checks out

you think 10% go to the gym consistently? that's a very, very high estimate

and i see plenty of people in the gym for years who never reach 225 (probably represents the majority of the people i see)

they're probably not eating or training right, but they're still there consistently and count in your 10%

Rofl 230lbs using chalk muh sides

>lifting 225kg
>not lifting 225 stone.

DYEL confirmed bro

You're basically only competing against men here, so let's just focus on that.

Most men don't lift. Period. Of those who exercise, most just run or fuck around on the elliptical. Of those who do lift, the vast majority don't lift heavy or do compounds and just fuck around on cable machines or dumb-bells.

I'd seriously think you may be in the 95th or 99th percentile, especially if you consider that 51% of all men are above 40.

>fat powerlifter chalking up for a 230 bench

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Get a load of this fucking guy

this.
I've only ever seen maybe 8 people (out of maybe 200+) bench 225+ with proper form in my gym
but then again, it is LA Fitness

Thank you man, the bar is basically as smooth as a babies butt. Didn't have the problem until I started hitting over 200lbs.

I don't consider a person's max relevant unless they are in competition, sorry man. Until that point calling out your maxes is just ego lifting.

Local autist with headphones in and the only one that brings a damn towel to the gym.

Oddly specific.

>I don't consider a person's max relevant unless they are in competition, sorry man. Until that point calling out your maxes is just ego lifting.
You still don't understand? It doesn't matter if you consider them relevant, or even if they really are relevant, you're missing the point of the thread.

I get it. I'm just saying its the first big goalpost, but feel like people cheat themselves in the long run by trying to hit it as soon as possible. The doesn't account for how much slower the gains get once you hit it as your working weight, but this has been my experience with it due to cutting.

Hell still consider myself just a novice for what I currently can do. Long way to go.

i really don't understand people who refute and continue when their point is discounted as irrelevant, not incorrect.
>what percentage of people walk on a daily basis

>you can't say people are walking when they're wearing shoes and you might as well say that bicycling is a form of walking because you're using another form of locomotion with the bottom of your feet not touching the ground.

it doesn't matter what your definition is whatsoever you autist, don't repeat it or explain it again, the definition was given in OP and the question is what it is, not what you think it is. fucking sperg.

>what percent of the US can bench 2pl8s touching chest?

even if it's just about doing one single rep, i'd estimate at most 1 to 2 percent can do it.
you have to keep in mind that there are a fuckload of women, children and old people. and even among men, there's a ton of fatties and a large amount of skinnyfats who aren't used to any physical activity.

and among the small amount of healthy adult men who are physically active, most do team sports or cardio based exercise, with no strength training at all. and of the tiny portion of them who actually lift, only a minority are on a level where they can bench 100kg.

lmao pls be bait

I'd say 1%. 66% of Americans are overweight/obese, and most of the rest don't seriously lift. Maybe top 5% of the gym-going population can.

In high school (class of 2007) I started maxing 185 in September and hit 255 by May. I've always beem a fat fuck since 9th grade, so I was probably 5' 11 and 225lbs.

Ten years later (6' 0, 245) and I'm benching a lot again. I have shit routine of 5x5, increasing weight by 20 pounds each time, once on flat then again on decline.

Flat bench starts 165>185>205>225>245. I've been having trouble getting 245 five times, so I'll typically hit it 3 times twice.

Same weight typically for decline. I'm hoping to hit 300 by July, but I'm also trying to lose weight and get down to 215 in the same time span.

I benched 295 when I was 13 in freshman year grow up

I am consultant, so I do sizing for a living. I can say for a fact all of you retards are off by factors of 10. Lmfao some of these numbers, 5%, 2%.

Learn something you cunts.

When I'm at the gym, there's maybe 3 - 5 men there who can bench 225. The gym has more than 100 people in it at a time. I'll call it 3% of those at the gym. I would then estimate that just 1% of the population goes to gym. Think of all the fatties, children, poor people, disabled, immigrants, and elders who cannot go.

My estimate is .003% of the US population. This equates to about 1M individuals in the entire US - that would be about 20,000 person's per state who can bench 225. Sounds reasonable to me.

I still think this may be on the high side.

Wow.
I didn't start repping 315 till I was 18, could only do 200 something at 13

What did you do to get that at 13? Were you living a strenuous active life or did you workout a lot as a kid?

when you put it like that I guess I am strong af

2x12 1pl8 + 5lbs master race here

better get some chalk for dem cheeks because Im about to spread em my man

im in highschool too m'nigga i hit 240 the other day but its my worst lift

i cant tell if youre estatting seriously or as a joke

I don't even see most guys at my university gym bench 2pl8 for reps.

I might be able to manage 1, but I've never tried.

Your friends are just faggots. People that don't work out don't generally recognize when you make great progress because its threatening.

This.

>This much salt.
>Over saying that "I bench 225" should mean WORKING weight not max.

Using chalk to prevent sweat on your hands is fine as well. Sounds like a bunch of envious faggots.

Which really IS depressing because 225 is a modest goal.

>Officially have to get chalk to move further since even having a little swat on my heads causes my hands to spread during the bench. Shit sucks.

You dumb faggot lol.

Not salt, your bench is literal ass. I dont need chalk and my working weight is 225 for 8x4 you shitter

225 is fucking standard.
Hell, 315 is becoming standard.
80% of men who have access to a bench press should be putting up 2pl8.
In fact everyone at my local LA Fitness is benching 2pl8 for a 3 rep minimum.

This is not to say 2pl8 is not respectable, but it is to be expected.

Depends on how much you weigh honestly. When I first started lifting weights at age 17 I maxed at 215 weighing 175. But I really wanted a 225 bench so I ate big and got big. Weighed 195 and could bench 235. But I realized benching 215 at 175 is more impressive than benching 235 at 195. So I hit cardio hard and really improve my form for bench since I stopped lifting for stats. Got 245 at 165 my senior year of college.

>being this retarded

>But I realized benching 215 at 175 is more impressive than benching 235 at 195

False. It's pretty much equal.

you dum
also notice: leaning 45s meaning that's a warmup set

they're talking shit cause you're bragging. the only people you should take about weight stats with is gym bros at the actual gym. They actually appreciate it when talking about stats, but they want to see you do it first.

underrated post

>225
Who can't? Highschool football people were doing 400.

I don't know why people are bitching so much.
Using chalk doesn't magically make benching easier

Yeah, because that isn't even a common definition of "I can bench 225" as should be evident by now you fucking shitlord

Ps. Your bench is garbage

>Guy at work talks himself up all the time
>Says he can lift 300 lb bench and can squat 500 lbs
>He hasn't worked out in years so I offer him to go as a guest to my gym
>Can barely lift 85 lbs with bench and 140 lb squats

He'd pull any chick with his confidence though. Even if hes a weak little shit.

Am I weak af if I work out 4x8 with 225. More like 3x8 but I can manage 4 reps on 4th set I just do it to burn out a bit.

I think test levels are probably distributed in a bell curve like height. If so, there will be a portion of men who will never bench 2plate unless they get on the juice. Also, manlets are obviously going to be lower in absolute strength due to having smaller bodies. So, I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of all men were totally incapable of benching 2plate at any point in their life (without hormonal assistance) no matter how well they trained or ate.

Manlets are usually much better at lifting, especially at compounds and oly lifting.

This guy gets it right here. He may be lowballing a tad, but the answer regardless is a fraction of a single percent. You people estimating between 5-10% of the entire population are absolutely retarded.

You're right, relative to their weight they have an advantage. They're able to lift a larger multiple of their bodyweight. But I don't think they are advantaged in absolute strength. Bigger people can lift more.

Manlets tend to have shorter arms, so a 2pl8 bench is literally less weight for them than normal guys.

It´s a good amount of weight, I guarantee that you´re stronger then most people your age (and older maybe).

My bench was 250 lbs but I never focused on strength, just hypertrophy and gradual strength gains in a higher rep range. It shaped my chest, shoulders and tri's well. Now I just use dumbbells because I mostly train alone, I'm doing 44kg dumbbells for 8 reps It's not great but I've seen 2 other dudes do the same and I'm a pretty dedicated gym. (no powerlifters or anything though alot of aesthetic dudes who lift way less then me.)

Sorry for the ramble, just focus on yourself and get as strong and swole as you want to be man.

So you're saying you don't have an olympic barbell in your gym to bench?
Wanna bet the barbell you use actually only weighs 30lbs instead of 45lbs and you, ironically, don't bench 225 for 3x5 yourself?

it's not just due to weight, it's also due to superior pressing and squatting leverages

i'm in the same situation. in my gym i am the only one who can do it, there's one guy that's 2 years older than me who benches much more ( near 3pl8s ) but most people can't even do 180, even the older guys. i am sure there are some who come at different hours than me but still there's few of them.

>stone
>not wrist curling 225 tons for reps

stop pretending you try

>100kg is literally less weight than 100kg when you have short arms

Chalk wtf faggot I have a grade 3 anterior delt tear and bench more than you... you need fucking captains of crush gripper traning.
And no, if you can do 225 touching your chest even once, then guess what: you CAN DO 2 PLATE BENCH

t. hand sweatlets

it's not less weight literally, of course, but that guy has a point

a person with long arms will have to generate much more torque at the joints than a person with sort arms to lift the exact same weight

this is why you see a lot of guys with great leverages bench 225 and look like scrawny shit, and you see other guys with poor leverages bench 225 and looks pretty good

then there are also internal leverages (attachments and origins of muscles) that have an even larger impact on torque exerted at the joints, so you could have guys with the same amount of muscle produce drastically different forces

Damn you muricans are weak as fuck.
I go to a commercial gym in canada and most gym goers between the ages of 19 to 35 bench 225 or more. It's only a hand full of skellies, elderly and highschool kids that can't.

>implying that half of all guys at the gym bench 225