Hi Veeky Forums

hi Veeky Forums,

long time lurker who's fantasised about going to the gym forever, but never had the balls to do it.

how did everyone start lifting? Was it with a friend?

wondering how the fuck im meant to just sign up for a gym, and start doing squats, benchpress, deadlifts etc. without making an idiot of myself?

just fucking go

First of get a beginner program. Then watch videos off all the listed exercises and how to do them. Now go get fit faggot

Are you stupid? Just walk in the door and get a membership. Stop making it such a big deal. No body in there cares about you. If you come once fuck around and never progress that's one thing. But if you keep learning and trying, nobody will second guess why you are there

R
E
A
D

S
T
I
C
K
Y

I went the first few times with a friend but could tell he was a dumbass with no idea what he's talking about.

I ended up just looking up a beginner routine and watching youtube videos at home about how to do the lifts. Remember, it's important to get the form down, so start light and focus on form.

just to get in the habit of going to the gym, you could just use some of the machichines in the beginning. then you'll get used to being there and feel less intimidated.

JUST GO JUST GO JUST GO JUST GO. I still have to tell myself this every time, but it always feels pretty good when i'm there

just make sure not to get jew'd by personal trainers

As i recalled
>read the sticky
>lurked some time
>used my autistic brain to study one of the beggienr programs deeply
>watch videos about good form
>go to gym
>pretty confident with what im doing since ive been making mental notes of right form
>if i wasn't sure about smt i asked the biggest guy there for advice, he was glad to help

Just go and do it, put some effort into informing yourself and then go.

Btw. it will take you few weeks to get the form just right, and even then you'll notice some small issues with form over the years, so dont worry too much.

I started doing bodyweight workouts at home, then bought some used weights from some guy and practiced different workouts, once those weights became easy to use for me I went and bought a membership.

Took me about a week to get into the gym.

Just do it, literally just go in, get changed, lift heavy things(not too heavy)

I just started going to a 24 hour gym and went late at night, then started going earlier when theres more people.

You'll begin to realize nobody pays attention to what you're doing and they're really focused on themselves.

You try.

So it's reassuring that I'm not the only one who was kinda nervous about signing up and trying to begin starting strength on day 1.

Thanks for everybody's advice. Already signed up, just need to muster the courage to go...might just go and run on a treadmill for a few days until I get familiar with everything

Anxiety...

Pretty much this. Just do it for like two weeks and watch your muscles grow and the numbers increase (kg or pounds). Also it makes you feel superior, it's great for mental health.

I got addicted though.

The anxiety thing goes away the first day. You can easily realize what most people have already told you in this thread. No one gives a shit about you and if anything people would be happy (sometimes EAGER) to help you.

I signed up online so i didn't have to talk to anyone.

Went alone during the day while it was quiet as i was off work with anxiety.

Had a "fuck off and don't talk to me" look on my face so people wouldn't try to make conversation.

POST YOUR BODY PUSSY

>wondering how the fuck im meant to just sign up for a gym, and start doing squats, benchpress, deadlifts etc. without making an idiot of myself?

You're going to look like a newbie idiot the first time you go to the gym, there's no way around that. If you have any friends who already go to the gym, and it's convenient for both of you, ask to go with them. If not, just start going on your own.

Hey, OP, I'm very new to lifting so I feel your reservations. I went the first time last year but I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do (or rather how), and the instructor at the gym just told me to do cardio so I got frustrated and never came back.
I've started going again last week, got a membership and I've been twice already and I feel great about it. I found a nice routine, watched YT vids on how to perform the excercises first. I was anxious as fuck before going the first time and sat in my car for 5 minutes, but then I thought to myself that if I won't do it then, I never would. So I went in and the anxiety went away like that.
Get a memebership and basically just go. There's no point in putting it off.

Pick a beginner routine. Watch Youtube videos of all the exercises to learn the form. Do supremely light weight for the first week or two and then SLOWLY work the weight up. The worst thing you can do is pretend to be strong and hurt yourself. While you may think that everyone is judging you, in reality most people either don't care about you or respect you for going in the first place so long as you're not doing anything stupid or dangerous.

Did bodyweight at home until junior high (gr. 9), where they had a free weight room. Start lifting.

Literally that easy.

I thoroughly recommend using a PT or someone that knows their shit, OP. It made a huge difference for me. Its easy enough to watch videos and see the form required but having someone that knows what they're doing to check your form and generally just help you get going makes all the difference.

I never actually intended on using a PT, but I got ambushed by one lurking for new years resolutioners in January. Dude is great.

PTs can be total cunts, there was a thread earlier on here talking about bad experiences with them. They will string you along and keep you dependent on their advice. Make sure you get one that isn't meming you for your $$.