Physical Education was so much better in the 60's

Why is Physical Education in Schools nowadays so shitty?

This is how physical education looked like in the 60's:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/james_flynn_why_our_iq_levels_are_higher_than_our_grandparents
youtube.com/watch?v=0vJPL6PYDTM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Progression of intelligence is not linear. We are getting dumber as a society.

Pussyfied society

My high school PE class was such a joke. It was like day care. So I took weightlifting class next year.

>Physical education was much better in the 30s

JFK was killed by mossad for trying to bring back natsoc

Going to gym now

>physical education was much better in the 50s
How to achieve Soviet PE teacher mode?

ted.com/talks/james_flynn_why_our_iq_levels_are_higher_than_our_grandparents

Nah were collectively smarter. And because of that we place more importance on academics. We don't really need that rigorous PE because 1/3 of the population isn't employed in manual labor my dude.

Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days

How do I achieve that type of fitness? Lean af and able to do bodyweight calisthenics literally all day. What program should I follow?

damn gonna fap to this

>What program should I follow?
a calisthenics program, obviously

>implying physical fitness isn't MORE important now that vocations and employment doesn't require it

be very active very often

do a lot of calisthenics
do a lot of stretching
play sports

5-6x a week

dont eat processed garbage

Sadly this will never happen at a national level, but imagine if it did. The world would be a much better place.

>Why is Physical Education in Schools nowadays so shitty?
>This is how physical education looked like in the 60's:
You stole the PE from the Nazis and after a few decades, it fizzled out.

>We have become more and more not a nation of athletes but a nation of spectators

Because our advancements have made us more perceptive towards tests such as the IQ tests. Nothing to do with us "being smarter" than we were, we're only smarter as a collective group because some places in our countries that were empovrished and didn't get enough nutrients are getting them now. You're a fucking sperg.

kek

They look like shit

Steal German training methods. That's what they did.
The Russians still have those books and studies and won't give them back to Germany for research lol.

Back then (50s), circuit training was the hot new thing.

>Veeky Forums

>believing propaganda

I bet 90% of the people on those clips were either not students or only the top athletes

I graduated high school back in 2007, all I remember doing for PE throughout was running- which is a small small part of an overall healthy body. plus I was a fat chick so my thigh would rub together and damn near start a brush fire every time I tried to run. I'd imagine todays much fatter youth isn't faring so well either
>that feel when the average american woman today is fatter than you were at your heaviest

another note to consider, back then being prescribed meth/speed/etc. as a "weight loss" prescription was normal. It's how a majority of film stars from that era kept "slim" and it also ended up being their downfall (addiction later)

>what are high school and college graduation rates

Nobody making claims like that think IQ tests mean shit. They're just observing that society as a whole is better educated.

School would have turned you into chad whether you liked it or not =(

back when society wasn't fucked

HIT

and lots of vodka with anatoli

There were different fitness levels that the students were assigned to. White, Red, Blue, Purple, Gold or Navy Blue. 85% of the student body reached the Red level after one semester and 100% reached it after 2. 40% eventually reached the Blue level.

Minimum Fitness standards for Red:
>10 pullups
>32 pushups
>12 bar dips
>60 situps in 2 minutes
>13 burpees in 20 seconds
>200 yd shuttle run in 34 seconds
>18' rope climb using arms only
>880 yd run in 3 minutes
>Be able to carry someone within 10 pounds of your bodyweight at least 880 yards

Minimum Fitness Standards for Blue:
>14 pullups
>48 pushups
>18 bar dips
>21 burpees in 30 seconds
>24 hanging leg raises in 30 seconds
>300 yd shuttle run in 51 seconds
>18' rope climb in 7 seconds
>1320 yd run in 4:20
>be able to carry someone within 10 pounds of your bodyweight at least 1320 yards
>do 5 extension press ups
>be able to run 2 miles
>be able to swim 100 yards

There were also agility tests and obstacle courses they had to do in certain times

The highest fitness level, Navy Blue, was only reached by 19 students in the school's history. Here are the standards:

>50 bar dips
>32 pullups
>150 pushups
>26 burpees in 30 seconds
>300 yd shuttle run in 46 seconds
>do 2 20' rope climbs consecutively
>100 extension press ups
>hold a 45 second handstand
>be able to carry someone within 10 pounds of your bodyweight at least 5 miles
>be able to jog 5 miles
>be able to run one mile in 5:15
>be able to swim 1 mile

Because there aren't more students like me

thats a propaganda video you retard.

>We don't really need that rigorous PE because 1/3 of the population isn't employed in manual labor my dude.
said the 400 lb lard ass whos dying before age 40.

>literally has a standard named "Navy Blue"
>1960's
>user still hasn't realized that it's 100% propaganda

That slam makes me feel ill.

i remember my 10th grade gymclass. fucking joke. we would rotate some sports like volleyball, basketball, badminton, football, and then everyone just played ping pong for like 3 months because it was too cold outside to do our winter activities.
our gym teacher was fat honestly. a big round manlet. his knee caps were busted too so he couldn't really show us shit. he would just say "ok so imagine im doing this, and this is what it would look like". informative/10.

Shit like this makes no sense in the absence of a widely agreed upon idea of the common good, it's intrinsically communitarian. And a widely agreed upon idea of the common good is exactly what we're missing. Don't worry op, once we're out of this transitional phase and liberalism is finally dead a new idea of the common good will emerge.

Why do people say this was German training method?

I am Russian in America and my mom had me follow Russian gymnastic program and never do any of this weight lifting stuff.

The one good thing about Soviet government was physical training and education. High school boys knew how to assemble and dissemble an AK-47 in under a minute.

Can someone please explain to me what books and studies Russians stole?

Also, does anyone have any information on these Russian/German training methods? Like specific exercises, routines, etc? I would like to read on them because I only learned from my parents telling me about them.

I honestly believe Russian/German training method is best because it is most natural way for body to grow strong while promoting flexibility, balance, leanness, and joint health

Pic related is Alexander Dityatin, who holds the all-time Olympic record for most individual medals at a single Games

Assembly and disassembly of a rifle is child's play, that's a horrible example

I keep seeing this video on Veeky Forums every few days, talking avout the good old conservative values ingrained into a fitness ideal.

The problem with that video is that it was made during the Cold War era and is basically a propaganda video consisting of professional athletes acting as everyday students.

Get your head out of your ass.

Yeah, I'm that guy in the weight room. And I don't give a FUCK WHAT YOU SAY

>child's play
youtube.com/watch?v=0vJPL6PYDTM

Fuck now I wanna hit the gym again. Already went today. But compared to this shit, training 1.5 hours and then sitting on my ass again all day feels weak and shit

>flinging the parts like garbage

well they're right, the rifles are as disposable as the kid that is carrying it

I thought running will kill your gains?

Can someone tell me if this is a meme or not? How do I incorperate running into my routine without killing gains?

Collectively our iq is growing everywhere except middle eastern countries.
There they have massive massive massive amounts of inbreeding. Check WHO for sources

However fuction based knowledge has decreased dramatically. If anything that you use on a regular basis broke what percentage of people know how to fix it? 10? 20? Less?

Also public support programs have collectively eliminated the need to be able to physically provide for one's own wellbeing...thus uninspiring the pursuits that would allow one to do so.

>high schoolers doing 15 pullups is propaganda

Honestly, what percentage of high school seniors in a [LE CURRENT YEAR] class could do that?

5%?

I can do 16 for the record

Eat more, sleep more, done.

May be hard initially, but you'll get used to it. Most people here on Veeky Forums will never in their lives come close to overtraining.

what percentage of high school seniors in a [LE CURRENT YEAR] class did pullups several times a week throughout high school?

Like none? PE doesn't do that anymore and most athletes just use weights and nothing else

Running killing gains sprouted from retardation. The only way it would kill gains is by increasing how many calories you need to consume a day to gain mass.

Obviously a guy who runs every day for 5 miles every day will need much more food to get to / over his TDEE compared to a guy who does no running whatsoever.

Running itself has huge benefits for cardiovascular endurance among other things and as long as you work your way up via a program like couch to 5k there really won't be a risk to your lifting.

Exactly. So why is it propaganda to claim that students who DID do pullups and pushups and bodyweight exercises every day for years would be able to do it?

You won't kill gains, dumkunt.

Lift weights? Run 1-3 miles 1-3 times per week. Try for speed if you're feeling frisky. This running 'training' was bog standard for accessory GPP for weightlifters pre-1960s and viewed as 'enough' to supplement 3-4 hours in the gym a week.

If you're a bodybuilder with physique goals you should be doing what all BBs have been doing for conditioning since the 70s > walking for distance, either on a treadmill or street. 1-2 hours per day.

The reality could've been whatever but OP's video has no credibility as a source.

Arguing about it is moot

We should not attempt to approach these standards as they are unrealistic of typical high school students in the Current Year. This Cold War propaganda piece shows an aesthetic that is fundamentally impossible to achieve, plus the lack of diversity is rather telling; what about the African and Hispanic Americans students?

This is a fascist program that is using the false narrative of rigorous physical doctrine as a means of control. We cannot allow this kind of rhetoric and regimen to return into our schools.

Bait, but half right

You can't judge everyone based on the same metrics, some are genetically favored in sports and athletics, some in other fields. Some are in neither.
It's not the same amount of work for every individual meaning it's an unrealistic expectation that everyone reaches the same standard.

>You can't judge everyone based on the same metrics
Watch me
>Some are genetically favored so it's unrealistic that students try to reach a common standard
This would hold more water if the minimum standards were set by the most athletic, talented students. Meeting the minimum standard is not a herculean task. Cultivating fitness and discipline at a young age is important. The standards are achievable.

if the goal is to reach a minimum standard it will limit those who can go above it easily

Good idea, we should have a minimum standard and then perhaps have tiered standards that incentivize more gifted athletes. Perhaps we could call them something like:
White, Red, Blue, Purple, Gold, and Navy Blue.

I could probably do most of those but carrying somebody 5 miles is fucking stupid.

The problem is that in today's society when a child fails to meet the minimum their parents harass the school until the minimum is lowered for their special snowflake.

conspiracyfags pls go

All physical education in my school experience was was just playing team sports.

They didn't actually try and condition your body or teach you healthy exercise, it was just join a group of people to play whatever sport that day (usually basketball) or do laps around the gym.

Physical education is shit because you only get gains if you try to get gains. I hate being forced to do shit, so I didn't do jack shit in gym class. You can't force people to be healthy.

holy shit, those serratus anterior are not something you see these days

I blame democrats. I also blame the everybody wins mentality that destroys kids drives not to fail.

Yeah, that was my impression too. About half I could do as a preteen. Another quarter or so I could do by highschool. The rest I'm not sure about but seems possible, tho the difficulty is so all over the place. The 5 mile thing is weird tho, that's like an hour or more piggy back.

>patriotically healthy
wait what ?

DO YOU HATE FREEDOM SON?

Careful there, you'll cut someone with that edge.

dyel mode

The problem with this shit is that they just set the standards and throw them out to get mangled by the local implemenations. Notice in the video, all the dudes are tall, skinny, able-bodied middle class white dudes. And they're not just doing calisthenics, they're working with implements that have to be standardized. So what are you going to do with the black kids? The short kids? The kids who are uncoordinated? The ones who get shitty meals at home? The girls? Are you going to set different standards? Are you going to pay special attention to some groups so that even if they fall short in some area or at the beginning they're able to make up for it? I mean like investing in meals, investing in special coaching for the small and weak kids or the fatasses (like literally the opposite of what happens today, where you just get cut from the successor to these programs, the athletic clubs).

The reason why these initiatives fail is the reason why NCLB failed: they set these great standards but don't invest enough to get the people who are behind caught up. You'll know when one of these things succeeds when 5'6" dudes have every bit a chance of being lineman as kids a foot taller, for example.

God you're an idiot but you got a few points right.
Equality of outcome is the easiest way to destroy individuality ...equality of opportunity is how you fix issues.

Why would you care about individuality if your goal is to have EVERYONE meet a standard? This is the problem with conservatard/lolbertarian ideology: you want a great country along some pretty specific standards but you don't want to do the things that would make it happen. Do you want a country of fit ubermen? Then you can't leave it up to the populace's predilections or willpower or individual financial means. You mandate a standard and you pour resources into even the wimpiest teenager until they're paragons of fitness as far as the rest of the world is concerned.

At the end of the day, if you have equality of outcome on basic things (Do people have a house? Do people have food? Do people have good healthcare? Do people have access to education?), you can still prove you're better than everyone else in other ways that the government can't directly influence, if that's hoe you get off. But enough of this shit where we're the best country in the world if you can claw your way to the top 10%, and a third world shithole otherwise. Because that kind of ratio makes us a third world shithole overall.

>Why would you care about individuality if your goal is to have EVERYONE meet a standard? This is the problem with conservatard/lolbertarian ideology: you want a great country along some pretty specific standards

Nice strawman.

>But enough of this shit where we're the best country in the world if you can claw your way to the top 10%, and a third world shithole otherwise

100% guarantee you've never been to a third world country. Fuck off back to /leftypol/

Okay now you're trolling.

Individuality and identity is essential because without it, human striving is..en mass...suffocated.

Mandate minimum fitness requirements, give everyone the tools to achieve them some will excell tremendously, some will not..and few... the very few who fail...still get to live as healthily as possible despite whatever medical predisposition that prevented them from being physically incapable of meeting those requirements.

Giving everyone the same tools is the issue not forcing them to build the same house.

Look at those legs though.
Probably can hardly squat 3lp8

One of our teachers came from poland and tried to do exercises with us. He was like 40-50 years old but was fit as fuck, like the russian gym teachers on Doing this with 15-20 pubescent kids didn't work at all. Team sports were much more productive for us

I don't have to have, people much more qualified than me have said so. The saddest part is how many Americans don't know how shit they have it.

Even if these may be exaggerated, if you think they weren't training every dude to be ready to be drafted at 18, you're an idiot

Government realized that wanting strong men would be detrimental to their subversion schemes

Don't brand things you disagree with as trolling, it makes you look like an idiot.

Here's the problem with your side: you're not giving everyone "the same tools." Better genes are better tools. Better food is a better tool. Better instruction is a better tool. If you want people to have the same tools, to start at the same starting line, some people need more attention and more investment. Otherwise you're just amplifying entrenched disparities.

Besides, if every American comes out of high school at a certain fitness level, that's not the end of Western civilization. If your high school sports record makes or breaks your motivation in life something bigger is very wrong.

B8