Calorie Questions

I have a few questions regarding calories:

1) If I eat the entire bag of chips in the photo, I will ingest about 1600 Calories. How many of those Calories will I poop out? I am not asking what the calorie content of my poop is, but instead, how efficient is my body at converting eaten calories to bodily energy?

2) Are the wasted calories (i.e. poop) already considered in the daily calorie needs?

3) I fully understand work from a physics stand point (W = F*d). If I left a 20 lb dumbbell vertically 4 feet, then I did 80 ft-lb of work.

Similarly, if I do a pull-up, I can 'easily' calculate the work done. But how do you determine work when for a stationary activity, such as flexed arm hang?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/
physics.stackexchange.com/questions/1984/why-does-holding-something-up-cost-energy-while-no-work-is-being-done
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)
physio-pedia.com/Kinetic_Chain
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're serious, aren't you OP?

Yes. Yes I am.

>If I left a 20 lb
That should say "lift"

You wont need to care about poop calories.
Dont look at shit from a physics standpoint.
When you bench press, you move that weight through your ROM and not somebody elses, I have lon arms so I must move it farther, that does not matter though.
I shit out about 2kg of stuff everyday, you dont subtract the calories of shit unless you want to be fat or if you are dirty bulking.

I was going to say that the body only use the calories as fuel or stores it, but shit can't be free of calories can it?

I aint sure about the mechanisms, but if every diatcian and nutritionist in the world counts the full 1600kcal as totally absorbed, so should you

It's the material that your body can't digest (and bacteria), so it's not that it doesn't have calories technically, but your body can't digest it which is already factored into the calories on the package. For instance, muh sips (Monster Energy Zero Ultra) contains erithrytol, which is technically a carbohydrate. However your body can't digest it, so the drink still has zero calories.

>I am not asking what the calorie content of my poop is
Yes ;yes you are.

You're a retard who could have just answered 1 and 2 by googling calorie absorption. But, I did it for you, and found this article with some interesting stuff in it that folks on here will probably wanna know (for example, you absorb more calories from cooked meat and potatoes than raw):

blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/

As for 3: W=Fd is correct, but F=ma. I'm not working in your stupid non-SI units because the unit conversions are a nightmare, but if you lifted a 20kg dumbbell vertically 0.4m, W=(ma)d=(20*9.81 [acceleration due to gravity])*4 = 784.8 Nm = 784.8J. There's not really a point to this except to show how stupid American units are.

As for the flexed arm hang: W=Fd, d=0, therefore W=0; Work done is defined as the energy required to move an object over a distance. The muscles still exert a force F=ma, and the muscles expend energy to do this, but then you're going in to shit like muscle efficiency which is way more complex; from what I can gather, cells do move and expend energy, but there's no easy way to equate this to work done on a macroscopic level.

Here's a semi-decent explanation: physics.stackexchange.com/questions/1984/why-does-holding-something-up-cost-energy-while-no-work-is-being-done

Also it depends on the moments acting on each hinge (joint) and shit. Basically, if you wanna look at the math of lifting, look at forces and moments, but not energy unless you do hours of biomechanics research.

No. How the fuck are you people on this board and don't know this. That's what metabolism "means". If you say you have a fast metabolism it means your intestines are worse at processing food so you shit out more the calories you ingest than a person with a "slow" metabolism does. Consequently you can give yourself a fast metabolism by eating an ungodly amount of shitty food. For instance, if you drank a bottle of olive oil you would "eat" a ridiculous amount of calories (I think it's like ~9000) but your intestines will only porcess maybe a third of that because of the shock you put them through. You will literally shit out a large amount of the olive oil you ingested, mix with shit, of course.

This is a well known phenomenon in the competitive eating world. As you can eat something like a 10lb burger and the shits you have over the next 48 hours will be a lot less processed than a normal poop. It's simply because your intestines can't handle that much food at once.

And it gets even more complicated by the gut flora. Every person is different in gut flora and what you eat decides what flora you have. This is also a big factor in weight loss, they are showing. The small intestine flora plays a huge role in how good you are at digesting certain foods.

>you absorb more calories from cooked meat and potatoes than raw

If anyone didn't know this from like grade 9 biology/chemistry/whatever class they have in america then they should kill themselves.

If we accept that a flex arm hang is putting out as much more as gravity is (IE you're pulling as hard as you can without moving) then you can say that the force exerted by your muscles is equal to the force of gravity on your body.

>*4
surely you mean *.4 right? cant be moving a 20kg dumbell over 4 meters that easily

Sorry, poop isn't my strongest subject. I just calculate how much you consume and burn.

>If I eat the entire bag of chips in the photo, I will ingest about 1600 Calories
160 x 10 servings

I just came to fit to ask, do you add the calories from fat to the calorie intake

For example is something is 1000 calories and 500 calories from fat, is it saying you are eating 1500 calories? or are calories from fat a part of the calories?

and what is the deal with calories from fat?

thanks

Lbs are a unit of force.

on Earth, near the surface, lbm (pound-mass) and lbf (pound-force) are numerically equivalent, but are fundamentally different.

Yeah my bad, I tried doing the non-SI calculation first then realised the units made it difficult (I ain't using unity brackets for a 4chinz post) so I converted it and forgot the decimal.

I'm using this definition, I don't know if there are others, I'm British so we never learn this shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)

In the overall system, sure, but in reality it's a system of levers and hinges. Rippletits talks about it on numerous occasions as the kinetic chain, as it's known in biomechanics and physiology:

physio-pedia.com/Kinetic_Chain

>I'm using this definition, I don't know if there are others, I'm British so we never learn this shit.

see

>I fully understand ... then I did 80 ft-lb of work
>fully understand
>ft-lb

USE SI UNITS FFS

IT'S JOULES OH MY GOD IT'S JOULES

Oh my god you triggered me so much

I need to rage-lift something heavy

I'm the guy above who did the math, and I agree.

I mean shit, the units are a nightmare: W=Fd=mad=lb*ft*s^-2*ft. I mean, at least the seconds are alright, but I'm an engineer and I have no idea what to do with the rest except convert the lot to SI with unity brackets.

Daily reminder that there is literally no reason to ever use American units and that all Americans need re-educating.