Why is Reddit so obsessed with squats?

Why is Reddit so obsessed with squats?

First time in the gym can be intimidating, seeing curlbros with huge arms and benching lamo2plates. So they stay away from those exercises, and seek out squats which they can do as much as that big guy(4u) in the gym. That's why they start loving it and fall for the ss meme

inb4 armchair philosophy

squats are probably the most intimidating main exercise for a beginner though

Nope, definitely the bench since everyone's worried of pushing low numbers at first

>regularly see the biggest guys at my gym squatting in excess of 6 or 7 plates
I was more intimidated by squatting than anything else desu, even now I've hit 4pl8 I'm still intimidated

>sitting and standing up
>intimidating

K

Reddit is more American, and you can be fatasfatass and squat a lot.

Also it's not an imageboard so it's not as easy to post your gains in /cbt/ or something, you have to go to another image host for that.

Reddit also likes "to go by the books", and fucking around with some dumbbells isn't as standardized as following StrongLifts.

Veeky Forums also has a unique culture. /misc/ is different too, people just tend to gravitate towards one fitness board and then get molded by it. With reddit especially, the least controversial posts get the most attention, and squatting is likely the least controversial lift since it has a place in bodybuilding, powerlifting and athletics. Compare this with Veeky Forums where the most controversial posts get the most replies, and you end up with high test threads and brap posting.

Because they are appropriate Veeky Forums culture

I'd say squats are still more intimidating because people are afraid of doing bad form AND moving bitch weight.
Fuck I mean Ive been lifting 3 years and I will don't like squats in a full gym because I only squat 3pl8s

Juicy fat asses

Those numbers are insane to me desu.
What kind of gym do you go to?

>lifting 3 years
>I only squat 3pl8s
And only squatting for one of those years I hope

But squats alone won't give you a juicey fat ass, just juicy fat quads

A PL gym. Several British (LOL) PL champions hail from this gym, apparently. It's full of people who are regularly hitting big weights and make me feel like a tiny weakling, despite the fact that I'm now at 2/3/4/5. I love it, have never felt so positive about any other gym I've used.

There is no need to squat more than 250 pounds unless you play a competitive sport or compete in powerlifting or bodybuilding

Squatting more than that will give you tumor legs, the inability to wear any pants other than sweatpants, and an imbalanced and unaesthetic physique. You only care about big legs because you are shit at everything else

>most intimidating

I was never nervous about how much I was seen to be lifting, I was worried about looking like a fucking idiot while lifting it, which is easiest done when squatting. it's the least straightforward

It's a running joke. The hot new exercise that everyone has to do.

In the real world most men who get built and pull pussy rarely do squats.

>people actually believe this

got em

>armchair philosophy
as apposed to what? where else would you do philosophy?

Only squared the first year than realized there's no need to. I can do high tension reps and shit at lower weights and it's less stress on my body. Plus I'm in no sports so no need to squats in the 85% plus range.
Also I fractured my l5 my senior year so I convinced myself I don't need to squat

>just juicy fat quads
>just
idk pal, quads are right up there on my "best muscles on girls" list

contrarians

nobody pays attention to legs, so they're naturally obsessed

>forever mediocre
I hope you don't have this pathetic attitude in other areas of your life.

Squats alone can most defense nitely give you an ass. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Most definitely***

Fucking phone

Nah definitely deadlifts, form is the hardest to get down and yo ucan fuck your back easier

Test

I ride my bike 20ish miles a week and I have fat kid legs, so I don't bother with Squats as, aesthetically and strength-wise, I don't see a benefit.

>Why is Reddit so obsessed with squats?

because Veeky Forums has been obsessed with squats for nearly a decade now, and reddit is always copying whatever Veeky Forums does with a few years of delay

D E L E T
E
L
E
T

I've been lifting for a year. In that time the only legs training I did was bouldering and bulgarian split squats. Last time I did those I did 3x10 with 90lbs each leg.

The other day I tried highbar squats for the first time ever, and I could barely do 5x5 with only 95lbs.

I realize this is pathetically weak but I didn't expect to be THAT weak considering I had been doing split squats (which destroyed my legs each and every time) for an entire year.

Is my core just weak? Am I just bad at squatting since I've hardly done it?
My traps ached slightly afterwards where the bar was sitting on them - is that a sign of bad form? How often should I move up in weight?

adaptation to a new movement

it'll pick up quick

A nice ass sure, but not a big ol juicey Instagram booty.
Show me one example of someone who only does squats with a big booty and I'll shut the fuck up...don't worry I'll wait ...

Because reddit is shit and so are you OP

Also splits are pretty shit. Either go full pistol or use a chair or something higher for step-ups. I could squat my bodyweight 5x5 right after I picked up the movement. Not saying it's a lot but I don't usually go to the gym.

thanks, I too was wondering

>is this is a bait post to make Veeky Forums not like squats like we used to

I don't get these "actually the board cukture is x" guys. Squats and Oats is too ingrained into the board.

This post is most confusing as there are insane levels of crossover between here, bb amd fm. Like this guy going "akshually there isn't" is going to change that.

Squats freak me out cause snapcity but I do them anyways. Bought my own bar and some 10kg pl8 just so I could practice form at home before I handicap myself in a gym.

reddit, and this site, are so obsessed with squats because years ago it was the contrarian thing

you see, all the chad college jocks were curlbros, they wanted a way to feel superior to the chads fucking the girl of their dreams, so they pushed the obsession with squats meme as a way to feel superior and smug over something

squats are a good leg exercise for sure but the autism surrounding them, ss/5x5, and never doing isolations is absurd- it's all from nerds that discovered the gym and wanted a way to feel better than the aesthetic chads

Actually this is probably correct good insight desu

Because of the "can't skip leg day because im such a hardcore fitness freak" meme that normies use

>squats are for r-r-real men
>nothing more manly than an overpowering lower body
>heh fucking curlbro peasants

.You only count the plates on one side, user

i already have massive former fatty legs so i dont bother.

Because it's easy to measure process with, the become stronger fast and it raises their t-levels which they sorely need

>Because it's easy to measure process with,
If you can't measure progress in any activity or lift outside of squats then you're functionally fucking retarded.
>the become stronger fast'
Squatting heavy =/= stronger overall.
>it raises their t-levels which they sorely need
Upper body work has been proven to raise T levels a fuckload more then squats. Also androgen receptors are boosted.

real talk though... will squats help build my upper body too? the whole squats making your body squirt out tons of growth hormone post workout thing, i mean. Or is that all just a meme?

>le everyone who goes to the gym must squat 5 pl8 or they're a failure at life and should kill themself.

You fucking people are the worse I swear to god. 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 is a perfectly fine standard of strength that's well above the average person.

Unless you're training for a competition, or to put yourself above everyone at the gym there's NO reason to pursue squating 4 pl8 for reps.

To an extent yes as I understand it.

Try benching and then try squats. You'll feel the amount of shoulder flexibility, chest strength, back, and core strength it takes to maintain proper highbar form.

No and yes it's a lie. If you want a bigger upper body then you work on your upper body.

Do you actually believe this? Are you legitimately autistic?

>If you can't measure progress in any activity or lift outside of squats then you're functionally fucking retarded.
At the start of lifting you are increasing the 3X5 sets with 10 pounds each session for about a month (3 sessions each week).

>Squatting heavy =/= stronger overall.
Yes it is, the only lifts that are better predictors are the Olympic lifts. Strongmen wouldn't give flying fuck about squats if it was a good predictor of overall strength. If you do not have a strong posterior chain then you are not strong. I could trust some skinny beta on Veeky Forums, or I could trust the World Stongest Man competion and the powerlifting organizations

>Upper body work has been proven to raise T levels a fuckload more then squats. Also androgen receptors are boosted.
And they boost t-levels less than strain on the lower back. Using exclusively isometric upper body lifts gets you almost nothing. Neither of those unique to either though, going on a diet can increase your t-level and androgen receptors (provided you are a fat fuck who eat like shit)

>real talk though... will squats help build my upper body too? the whole squats making your body squirt out tons of growth hormone post workout thing, i mean. Or is that all just a meme?
They don't make you squirt out tons of hormones, but they do help. You should do compound lifts Pic related, it's a power lifter who went on a cut. They only do compound lift almost, and only do some isolated movements as support occasionally.

we do love our squats and oats joke but im sure that the part of this board who lifts all like to squat/bench/dl/ohp. we are not cringy reddit fucks who are 30%bf holding onto to trends like strongman

last year reddit was all about powerlifting and skipping any curl by calling people "curl bros"

You're fucking retarded if you don't believe EVERYONE SHOULD SKWAT R UR A PUSSY isn't just a big fucking "meme" at this point.

The guys who are pulling pussy and getting swole are not the ones online telling everyone they should squat and doing bottom heavy beginner power lifting routines.

1.He was on asshole loads of gear so nothing you're saying means dick when it comes to natural hormone accumulation from exercise

2.He said he started BODYBUILDING for YEARS after he got a major fucking injury from powerlifting. THEN he cut.

Don't fucking lie to try and pump up powerlifting/strength training and fucking squating as some kind of ultimate key to mass and gains. All you'll do is piss off, upset, and ultimately injure the naifes who actually listen to your bullshit.

You actually think those fucks are still lifting? They went back to their fat ass ways after they realized that they look like shit, hated working out, or took an impromptu one way express flight to snap city.

>At the start of lifting you are increasing the 3X5 sets with 10 pounds each session for about a month (3 sessions each week).
I reiterate. If you can not notice direct improvements in terms of strength volume or endurance from your workouts week to week, then you are fucking functionally retarded.

>>Squatting heavy =/= stronger overall.
>Yes it is, the only lifts that are better predictors are the Olympic lifts. Strongmen wouldn't give flying fuck about squats if it was a good predictor of overall strength. If you do not have a strong posterior chain then you are not strong. I could trust some skinny beta on Veeky Forums, or I could trust the World Stongest Man competion and the powerlifting organizations

Can squat 400 pounds but can't do a single chinup and struggles with a 50 pound curl. The average SS faggot is someone who can carry heavy loads, run away fairly quickly but can't hold onto anything important and has no endurance.

>>Upper body work has been proven to raise T levels a fuckload more then squats. Also androgen receptors are boosted.
>And they boost t-levels less than strain on the lower back. Using exclusively isometric upper body lifts gets you almost nothing. Neither of those unique to either though, going on a diet can increase your t-level and androgen receptors (provided you are a fat fuck who eat like shit)
What in the fuck are you retarding on about?
When I say work on the upper body I mean train the upper body where the vast majority of androgen receptors are. You know the upper back the shoulders and pecs?
It's the thing that grows the fastest on men is a telltail sign of high test and always explodes when anyone uses steroids?

Those things? The workouts and lifestyle you people espouse almost completely neglects working those and instead busy's itself with babby's first powerlifting routine, getting prs, rank elitism born of ignorance and little else.