Bench won't increase

I can't for the life of me bench 2pl8. I can do 205 lbs for 3 reps but can't do 1 rep of 225 lb.

This is even after increasing my weight from 152 lb to 163 lb. also I'm 5'7. What am I doing wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4T9UQ4FBVXI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4QcESCtiz1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you tried working the shaft?

Maxing out is a meme.
Work on your 3rm and 5rm

>maxing out is a meme

try increasing frequency and overall volume, and also try to get your form in check. greg nuckols has a really good and thorough rundown on bench form; pay particularly close attention to the bits on elbow flaring and optimal bar path.

I'm currently benching 235.
I only seriously started exercising since January. I add weight every week (five pounds).
I've only maxed out once this year and it was just cuz I got cocky with what I thought I could do a regular set of reps with.
I do at least four reps and work up to three rows of seven reps by the end of the week.

Do you stall on lift off or stick in the middle?

Dude only benches 425 at 242 after training for 12 fucking years. Stop following meme coaches and their online bullshit programs.

I stick in the middle, I can unrack it and get a half rep before I stall.

Get a coach. In person, not online. Because you have no idea wtf you're doing.

this, greg cuckolds is a lying piece of shit, he looks like shit, and following his program makes you a gullible piece of shit, he doesn't even look like he lifts.

Sounds like your triceps are the weak link.

Several solutions, depending on what your problem is.
1. Weak triceps. Start really killing triceps, this was my problem when I stalled at 2pl8s.
2. You are not getting enough rest time. I seriously had to cut back on gym time. It works, I used to go every day, but muscle groups need 48 hours to recover. (can usually hit arms and abs erry day though.)
3. Warmup. I kid you not a good 10 reps with 1pl8 will add 5-10 lbs to your max.

Good Luck :)

Stop doing sets of 3 you dipshit. Work on your 5x5 if you want to get stronger. You're also tiny as fuck unless that's 163lbs at 10% or less bodyfat so eat more.

Using this routine with ABxAxBx schedule. Anything I should add?

I'm 5'7 though, what weight should I be?

His bench programs are good and work very fine.

Bench isn't even that hard to program, just get x3 frequency and progress will come along.

this was for technique advice, not for programming; his technique advice is based on the technique of successful benchers, not his own technique--he benches with a reverse grip--skim the article before shitposting.

Firstly. Make sure your technique is correct (I reccomend watching Mark rippetoes bench press video for AoM on YouTube. Watched it last night and it's probably the best bench tech video I've seen) mark Bell and mark lobeliners vide is also good.

You should:
>grip the bar with generally pinky, ring or midddle finger on the powerlifting ring. Forearms should be perpendicular to each other facing forwards not in or out when bar is on your chest.
>arch back but keep bum on bench. Have feet planted firmly and use them to maintain arch.
>keep shoulder blades LOCKED to keep the chest active and stop the weight being transferred onto tris and anterior delts. Don't unretract the scapula by loosening the shoulders at the top of the rep. Fully straighten the arms but only as far as you can without unretractinf scapular.
>make sure your benching to around your nipple/just below and then up to your eye line.

if you fail:
>at bottom of rep: chest is the weak point (and anterior delts to a lesser extent
>mid-top of rep: triceps are weak point.

>t. 5'8 at around the same weight as you and bench 125kg 1RM (at 20% BF or so)

Down to nippel height but up to eye height. I was doing this and I got the advice to keep a straight line.

Fuck me that's bad advice. Watch this video because I reckon your technique is probably awful ATM

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4T9UQ4FBVXI

Also get on a probably gradiated program like 5/3/1, Texas, Madcow etc seeing as now you're lifting around 225lbs you're an intermediate and SS won't work

this dude tryna get flat bench numbers without any kind of DB press.

Newbie here, am I supposed to push my chest up after raising the bar? I've been doing it before so far. Or does it not really matter?

What? are you joking? Your chest should always be arched.

I mean in the video he gets the guy to raise his chest after he has taken the bar off the stand, I am wondering if he just forgot to mention it beforehand or if I should wait until I have lifted it to push my chest out.

Forgot to mention it. Get everything set up beforehand. Scapular retracted. Chest arched. Feet planted. Grip correct. Also when you unrack try to pull the bar out with your lats (will help keep everything in place) rather than solely pushing it up.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4QcESCtiz1M

Watch this too

I am 100% sure all your over 225 bench pressers don't even touch your chest.

your actual 1 max PR is probably something like 150 lbs

Thanks senpai

I finally cracked 2 plate for 5 reps after 8 months of lifting last week. I thought it was never going to happen.

My triceps were what was holding me back. I started absolutely slaying them with heavy weighted dips and push-downs. Doing incline dumbbell bench high weight low reps helped a lot too.

Also shoulders could be holding you back man. I swear to god no one appreciates lateral and front raises. Those exercises changes the game for me.

>projecting his insecurities
only on fit

>Forearms should be perpendicular to each other
you fucked up

You know what I mean. As in they're roughly facing straight towards the opposite wall from the bench when the bar is at chest level

I would hardly consider 225 intermediate. But i agree with those programs as long as he modifies for increased volume to work on technique

Unironically willing to bet your 1RM for the bench press is 130lbs and that you think anyone stronger than you is on steroids.

Then why not follow somebody who actually benches instead of some retard who won't even do the goddamn exercise properly?

225 bench at anything less than 200lb weight is certainly intermediate. Less than 1/100 men can put up 225lbs for one rep

If you're really stalling on bench (not just one or two bad sessions) try switching to heavy dumbbell bench for a while. Got me to properly engage supporting muscles, and polished my form up. That really helped me crack 2pl8 for reps.

GL opie, you're gonna make it.

Yeah follow some obvious fucking roider instead

That's a comically bad program.

If my arms shake when I unrack the bar does that mean I have weak triceps?

Doing weighted dips and skull crushers helped me considerably.

I bench 5x5 250 and never did a 1rm outside of high school- back when my 1rm was like 175.

1rm is a meme. It doesn't give you any strength/muscle gains. All it does is fry your nerves and muscles for a few days

Bench three times a week. Get a consistent bar path, learn to control the weight as it nears your chest, and hammer some arm work.

shoulders

how can someone so skinny have such a fat face?

While i agree most can't lift that weight i think that in general it's a bad idea to pick a certain weight to decide whether or not someone is beginner, intermediate, or advanced. I think it's better to de ID that based on how consistently they can make progress (on a program that works for them, i understand some people stall on shit weights but that more than likely has to do with a shitty training)

225 was impressive when i was 16...

I'm pretty sure my triceps have been holding me back as well, but mostly because I bike a lot and I think they don't recover in time. I never really noticed DOMS in them but I went for an exceptionally long bike ride last week and had a push day the next day and had to abandon it.

I've been resting up and hyped to try for some PRs tomorrow

Try smolov jr bench program.

Alternatively, Instead of doing 205x3, try 200 5x3, etc.

at sub 225? are you dumb?

Agreed. But like you say people may stalk for a variety of reasons. Loads will stall from not eating enough and over training even though they don't need a new program.

I bench 300 for reps but don't you just love the e statters on here. You brarely beer see ANYONE put up 225lbs in the gym, and I go to a uk gym full of big guys.

But on Veeky Forums it seems like every cunt was benching 225 at the age of 12 for reps.

Funny

I always see 1 or 2 guys benching 2pl8s at my uni gym. Most people are around 1-1.5pl8 though

i honestly have no idea what people lift in regular big gyms. I live in a smaller town than you've probably ever been near. but there's a small weight room owned by some guy where me and some friends have been lifting since we were 15.

>Stop following meme coaches and their online bullshit programs.
the guy runs one of the best weightlifting websites out there backed up by tons of research and studies. what the fuck are you talking about?

i gotta be a special kind of fag to reply to myself

Exactly. So at a university gym full of young men (at the most active point of their life) you see 1 or 2 guys benching two plates.

It's not common. Out of the entire pop. only about 0.05% can bench 2 plates.

50% men
10% of those go to the gym (5% of all adults)
Of those 5% only a quarter go regularly = 1.25%
Of those 1.25% going to the gym only 1/20 can even bench 2 plates.
>0.06125% of the population.

The "everyone can bench 2 plates meme" needs to die. Especially considering how skinny half of the people who post on here are.
>source cbt and skelly threads.

some suggestions
increase frequency
put on mass
add weighted dips into your program (they were a huge help for me when my bench was stalled)

Did you do dips after benching or did you replace bench with dips?

>believing anything on this shitty board
someone said that 425 bench is shit. LMAO at the dyels here estating and trolling. 99% of them can't even bench 1pl8 for reps

After

and what was the rep-range for dips?

5-8

In my opinion any DEDICATED lifter should eventually bench 2pl8s, i've witnessed a 17yr old bench 325, bar to chest, ass on bench. (his other lifts were shit compared to it tho). just because the majority of a weak academic country isn't strong, doesn't mean they don't have to potential to become strong

how many sets?

jesus christ dude, what worked for him doesn't make it fact. He could have replaced those dips with more bench and progressed as well. At the end of the day it's just more chest volume. Pick a program and stick to it.

tounge my donut

You're dumb as fuck. Seriously. I sincerely hope you don't reproduce.

fuck my ass baby

if I bench do I damage my joints?

Atleast I'm not a fucking indian

((((((Autism))))))

Yeah I bet you bench way more than 425 lmao

I bench 450kg and I've been training for a few days

fucking weakshit get off /fit

oh yeah I love all these DYELs pretending that 450 kg bench isn't impressive, I'm still waiting for vids of your 16plate bench

why does she have make up on in the shower?

pre-workout ritual

My triceps have always been weak. I got to a 2pl8 bench off chest strength giving the momentum from doing db presses. My triceps are slow to get stronger compared to the rest, the complete opposite of my lats. I've tried many tricep exercises, dips, close grip bench, floor presses, push downs with rope and metal bar, skull crushers, over head extensions, yet it's my triceps stay weak. Any tips brahs? I know i can get to a 3pl8 bench if it weren't for this weakness. Feels bad when i see my gym bros triceps get bigger and stronger without effort

Please add DB bench press. It will cause new recruitment of muscle fiber and cause your stabilizers to grow stronger. In turn BB press will go up as less effort is maintained to hold everything steady.

Tbh once you're not weak as shit, most people will stick in the midrange rather than right at/off the chest, provided technique is good. I'd still hit the close/medium grip bench hard.

Varying the volume helped me. Started doing Candito's 6 Week and it different rep ranges across the cycle, with the first few weeks being high volume sets, 10, 8, 6's and such and reduces volume and increases intensity as you get nearer the last heavy week.

Try doing lighter weight for more reps and see if that helps, go for volume PR's rather than trying to slam more weight on the bar every session. That has its place but sooner or later it just becomes too much of a grind and you have to adjust something while still producing an overload. Tweaking volume is one way to go about it.

Also, don't forget to eat and sleep more. Bench and OHP respond to changes in bodyweight more than any other lifts in my experience. If your bodyweight is slowly but steadily increasing more than likely your bench will too.

Increase weight, decrease reps to 3 where the third is difficult but barely possible. This will stress your CNS with 11-14 seconds of 90% effort from your 1RM.

Your body will recognize the need to then do most of the following:

1. Recruit more muscle fiber to execute the movement (usually fast twitch fiber).
2. Increase rate of fire of muscle fiber increasing force generated.
3. Muscle fiber synchronization changes to optimize for specific exercise. (For slow speed strength movements it means asynchronous or staggered firing).
4. Intramuscular coordination.

And after your body adjusts change the training program so you don't plateau. Do faster explosive lifts, negatives, increase volume, decrease rest intervals, etc. But if you want strength gains you need to keep maximal effort in weight up to foster muscle growth.

Oh and eat more faggot.

Benched 19x225 before and 315 for a tripple.

how do i into this mode Veeky Forums?