Calisthenics

Is it just a meme? Is it true that you can't get big with it or is it just a myth?
Should I give it a try ?

HOW THE FUCK SHOULD I KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD DO FAGGOT I DONT EVEN KNOW YOU

hard to progressively overload
hard to adjust the weights correctly for desired volume/intensity
all the progress can be made much easier and faster with barbells

its not useless, but there are better methods to train
its just for people who cant get their hands on the equipments man

Behold the natty bodyweight gains.

always remember to hang onto at least one ring when you train

He always looked like shit, but he can do a lot of stuff that most here can't. Also his stretching and yoga tutorials are on point. Check Frank Medrano and Dominik Sky.

You can do it for its own sake if you find it more pleasant than regular weightlifting.

Depends on your bodyweight. If a 60kg (135lbs) skeletton does calisthenics well... He'll develop enough muscular mass to move that weight (which means not a lot of muscle)

Whereas an 80kg guy will have to move lot more weight.
Also you can do weighted calisthenics.

Just a thing i dont like much about calisthenics is how much EVERY SINGLE movement engages shoulders : Calisthenics are pretty hard on shoulders so take care of them

bump

you wont get big you'd get pretty fit and limber
also get ready for the mires when chicks see you doing a planche in the park

It's good.
Much cheaper and more accessible than gym
There's a lot of depth, and progress is pretty sick.

I recommend.
If you are concerned about not getting enormous gains in short periods of time, take steroids you beta bitch

yeah those pistol and shrimp squats blew my shoulders right the fuck out.

>they're gymnastics exercises fuckface, male gymnasts are twig leg as all hell

you can do it to get some gains but if youre trying to bodybuild then forget it

the progression isnt as simple as simply increasing the weight and you already need decent mobility and flexibility to start with

Reminder that you can do weighted pullups and dips at a gym also and you will get some pretty good gains with just that

If you want to look good you have to train for aesthetics.

The problem isn't calisthenics, the problem is how people do it. The focus on the skills and movements. Like, inverted rows are part of the front lever progression. When they start doing tuck front levers, they stop doing rows.

Do your skill work, then do the simple exercises (chins, rows, pushup variations, dips) to failure, then use bands to do even more. Then do fucking isolation (triceps pushups, bodyweight triceps extension, bar/trx/ring curls).

How do you get into bodyweight if you are a fat fuck? Doing pull-ups and sit-ups and dips and shit.

I'm 183 cm (6') and 67kg (148 lbs)

Nigga, are you also dense?

Been lifting for a month now
Nice digits.

I assume you mean that you can't even do much of these because of your weight. Start with negatives until you can do them proper

Well if your goals are to look like shit a do stuff a lot of people here can't then i guess bodyweight stuff is 4u

>I assume you mean that you can't even do much of these because of your weight.
This man gets it!
What's a negative?

I slipped once while doing pistol squats and fell on my shoulder, it was pretty painful m8.

Well for pull ups and dips it is starting at the top and slowly lowering yourself down then resetting to the top for a rep.

Sit ups don't have a negative that I know of but I guess you could do it on an incline for the same effect.

Would it perhaps be a better idea to lose some weight first, and then do this thing?
Diet and some cardio before bodyweight.

It's ineffective. You can make it work with dumbbells and squats or anything to work your legs really, might aswell go swimming.

It depends.
Where do you fit in this chart and how much experience with fitness do you have?

>Would it perhaps be a better idea to lose some weight first, and then do this thing?

NO. Do them both at the same time. You will be gaining strength while also gaining strength and muscle. Why the fuck not?

Around 30% but I can do 3 reps of chair dips?

It is kind of hard to tell.

Yeah you'll be fine to start training with calisthenics. If anything you'd just be traning with more resistance than a skelly so you'll make strength gains faster but you'll progress slower.

>You will be gaining strength while also gaining strength and muscle.
user

negative pull ups: you help yourself up and come slowly down and repeat.
negative push ups you lower yourself down like in a pull up, but if you cant push yourself up from the ground, just get on all fours and go down again.
negattive dips: help yourself up on straight arms and come down slowly.

ADD's acting up again-

But it's true!

lower yourself down like in a push up**
always sperging ffs

sprints for cardio and calisthenics is good for losing fat and trying to get some of that muscle definition.

Can't run because knees crack and pop.

Literally just take it slow at first, look up couch to 5k

>Is it just a meme?

Nope. but you won't look big.

My goal is to get 1/2/3/4 and then get on bodyweight. I felt like progress was harder without a decent strength base.

But calisthenics is fucking cool AF, so I'm gonna get on it.

You won't get big doing callisthenics alone.
All the barstar niggs you see on YouTube are fake natty as fuck.

All that said. Callisthenics is useful for getting better at body weight movements. The average person is way more impressed when I show them a video of me doing muscle ups compared to showing them a video of me deadlifting 250kg

I was thinking doing the same thing. First weight lifting and then calisthenics. Not sure for how long I should be weight lifting tho.

You can get big doing weighted calisthenics or advanced gymnastics movements. However it will take a lot longer than weight training.

The gymnastics movements that bulk you up also involve working toward joint health, active flexibility, balance, etc. So you cannot focus exclusively on mass gain.

That picture isn't very good.
Wouldn't you be better off comparing people of the same relative amount of MUSCLE MASS with the different body fat percentage?
It's not fair to use ripped dudes for the low body fat, and use fat slobs for the higher body fat.

Same, but 1/2/3/4 is a pretty good goal IMO.

I'm not sure bodyweight is per definition harder to gain strength on, but it's hard to substitute the squats and deadlifts, especially for a beginner. It's also kinda finicky to nail the form when you have to change it at every progression.

It's a lot more rewarding than you think.

In order to progress you need to make the technique and method more difficult.

Pull up
Single hand pull up
Typewriter
Etc...

You get big and you do more amazing movements that nobody else can do... Expect it to be hard but really rewarding. Muscle ups FTW

can you explain 1/2/3/4

Would doing the big 4 bb lifts in addition to a Calisthenics routine be enough to get big while also being able to do the movements?

Hello mr skeltal

better than being overweight you manlet

In all fairness, look at the door in that pic. It's fucked up and bloated. He looks pretty good for that level of distortion.

I've seen other videos where the camera is not shit and he looks athletic, but not quite lean enough...better than 99%, and he's completely natty.

> look at the door in that pic. It's fucked up and bloated

It's a shutter-style door. Notice the hinges on both sides.

Fuck look at those cheeks, I wanna fuck that so bad, what is it about girls cheeks that turns me on so much