High bar or low bar?

High bar or low bar?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/squats-are-not-hip-dominant-or-knee-dominant-3/
strongerbyscience.com/its-time-to-end-this-nonsense-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squatting/
youtube.com/watch?v=JrjGBPMIn0A
m.youtube.com/watch?v=t2b8UdqmlFs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Front squat. /thread/

I don't have the wrist mobility to perform front squats. What do?

Kettlebell (Goblet) squats.
Log squats.
Medicine ball squats.

>you see what geometry I'm laying down ?

Overhead

Cross your arms to support the bar. I alternate between the holds depending on how mobile my wrists are feeling.

If he's a beginner, crossed arms is gonna be hard as heck. He won't know where the bar is supposed to be --- on the shoulder caps (if he has any), against the base of the throat, in the elbows....

He needs someone skilled to watch and coach him.

>why are so many of the peeps on here afraid to ask for help from the people they pay to run their gym ?

I ask for help of an instructor who allegedly trains powerlifting. He told me to do low bar squat, but I don't really like how the bar is placed on my back.

if you're into powerlifting and strength training, low bar
if not, high bar
low bar is extremly uncomfortable at first and the form is a bit tricky, while high bar feels more natural. this is my personal experience, i no longer high bar squat tho.

Both.

low bar for egolifters
high bar for chads and athletes
front squat for weightlifters and autistic people

t. dyel

Autistic athlete ego lifter here.
Wat do?

>he thinks there is much difference in potential squat strength between highbar and lowbar. Lowbar adds maybe 25lbs if you have the right build

theres no reason to just do front squats except if youre autistic. Weightlifters even do back squat to increase their front squat

>doing all 3
get help

It doesn't take as much wrist mobility as you probably think it does, you might also have a tight upper back.

Whichever you want, there's no difference in muscle activation from a different bar placement. Just better leverages from lowbar which allow you to move more weight.

Even front squats don't have any differences in muscle activation, except under near maximal loads. At which point they use your thoracic spinal erectors more than back squats.

Why do you go out of your way to give advice when you clearly don't know what you're talking about?

strongerbyscience.com/squats-are-not-hip-dominant-or-knee-dominant-3/

strongerbyscience.com/its-time-to-end-this-nonsense-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squatting/

You can fuck off retard.

oly lifters should lowbar desu

Weightlifters are better off squatting highbar and front because it has a closer resemblance to their lifts in competition.

If you're not a powerlifter or a weightlifter there's no reason to argue about which style you should make your main squat. Just do whatever feels comfy.

neither. Squats suck

O rly?

>raised heel shoes

lmao

doesn't count unless you squat buttass naked

Personally I switched to low bar when I had a powerlifting gym buddy and now high bar feels uncofortable.
I alternate my squat days between low bar and front squats.
Do what's comfy
, warm up, and maintain form.

Do whichever you prefer. There's so little difference in results for the average trainee that worrying about with style to use is a waste of time.

Don't do front squats only like some fuccboi above suggested. People who only front squat are just finding a way to avoid back squats because back squats are mentally challenging.

Alan Thral says in one video that low bar works more your hamstrings whereas high bar works your quads more. Is that true?

Yes, but "more" doesn't really translate to anything meaningful for the average well balanced trainee.

>even discussing this

kek, so true

someone's been reading too much Rippetoe.

I do both. I like the idea of squatting big numbers so I work to improve my low bar. One of the ways I do that is by doing ATG paused high bar.

if i could only pick one i'd pick high bar, purely because i could supplement them with deadlifts, good mornings etc to get a balanced musculature. in my personal experience, low bars are not so hard on the quads due to the greater forward lean/knees less forward setup, especially for someone with long legs like me.

Depends

are you referring to rippetoe's assertation? he states:

>1. low bars are easier on the back, and given that oly lifters floor pull a lot they need the reduced stress
which is trash, low bars are objectively harder on the lower back

>2. low bars more closely resemble floor pulls than high bars do
which not only contradicts the first statement completely, its also retarded because the hardest part of the C&J is front squatting the weight up after it's caught which more closely resembles the high bar squat

>3. heavier weights can be handled and since the high bar is used as a general strengthening lift, it's not as useful since the weight is lower
which is correct but not enough grounds for replacing high bars

>the front squat is a floor pull

Wrist straps on bar
>Get use the movement
Then advance

this

youtube.com/watch?v=JrjGBPMIn0A

I do mid bar to get the benefits of both.

what did i say that was wrong?

Doesnt matter.

What matter for muscle hypertrophy is your range of motion and volume.

Keeping your torso upright and being able to let your upperbody sink between your hips/lowerbody helps doing that.
Keeping your knees forwards over your feet but STILL having your weight on all 3 points of your foot (toes, side/middle, heels) usually makes for a great form and range of motion.

Ask me anything again if you dont understand something or want some more purpose.

Just don't copy Layne Norton's "squat" whatever you do

m.youtube.com/watch?v=t2b8UdqmlFs

nice trips, raise elbow properly, also grab bar with only 3 or even 2 fingers

>ROM and volume
what about weight

>as heck

Layne can suck my fucking dick faggot

high bar squat hurt too much on traps
low bar squat nice and comfy

let me know when you finally pluck up the courage to go to the gym kiddo

>why are so many of the peeps on here afraid to ask for help from the people they pay to run their gym ?

Because the only staff member who's ever there is a perfect 10/10 blonde girl who I'm terrified to talk to.

acessories you will need to squat:
$200 weightlifting shoes
$80 knee sleeves
$100 belt
$40 wrist wraps
$50 pre-workout drink
$30 grape flavored bcaas

all of which are available on bodybuilding.com

Weight is a part of volume. Usually described as intensity.

Aslong as you are above ~60% of your 1 RM in weight on the bar you are giving your body enough intesnisty for musclegrowth. After that you can basically just add reps and sets which will increase your voulme. "The tonage".

Intensity (more weight on the bar) and lower resp trains your body, nerves, muscle to produce more force when you successfully do a rep with high intensity. You get stronger. Much stronger than doing sets of 10+ reps.

But 10+ reps compares to 5s for example usually ends up with more "tonage done" in the end because you lift that 225 for 10 times which is 2250 lbs instead of 300 for 4-5 which is only 1200 to 1600 lbs.

Volume is the key factor for muscle growth (hypertrophy) Its the most well studied factor when it comes to resistance training.

The best part is he's decked out with more gear than a fucking bomb disposal squad and then proceeds to do 1/2 ROM good morning-bastard squats

My dyel lifter friend who never squatted before and just watched a bunch of Youtube vids commented on my high bar squat saying that my knees extended about 3 inches past my toes. Is he correct for making this comment? My weight was still on all 3 points of my feet.

nice phd youve got. shame it cant fix your fucked up long femurs

Aslong as your knees hit a "stop" a "wall" about when your ass hit parallel its fine. If you really feel your weight across your whole foot on the ground its fine.

If your knees keeps traveling forward for your whole rep to the bottom you either have longest legs in the world or soemthings is wrong.

>try out high bar after doing low bar for 2 years
>can do about 90% of my low bar squat despite never doing high bar before

Just pick one, add a bunch of weight to it and ur gd since it makes the other one go up anyway

i've spent a long time strength training but the main thing i'm wondering is how to do more bodybuilding/mass training.i don't want to sacrifice my strength doing GVT or some shit but would be interested in your advice (all of the below refer to the upper body, lower body is massive already)

1. is there anything but broscience behind Nuckols' blood flow restriction methods?
2. where does time under tension factor into things? how long should a mass training set be?
3. how long should i rest between sets?
4. is getting a pump a way to improve muscle size? obv training volume is the main determinant in muscle size so why is chasing a pump a good thing?
5. is there a need to increase weight or reps with things like extensions, curls, laterals etc? if so, how do you do it? if not, why does it work, given that there is no adaptation to demand to week by week?

this is a lot to ask but fucking no one can answer any of this for me. i'd appreciate any help you can offer at all

how long on average would that take you? Would I be able to do something like that just after work?

Alright thanks for the tops, I'll record myself one of these days and see how severe the knee distance is.

I could answer all of those questions but there is a guy that answers them better than me. the TLDR is that all of those "techniques" are cool tricks to use very sparingly because all of them are under the catogory of acumilating whats called "metabolites" in your muscle.

Its what make you get that feeling of fatgiue, they are making your muscle envoriment "sour" they are a biproiduct of what your creatin phosphate does in training in your body. (they help produce force)

Anyway your body will after a while get comfortable with highpumps and restrictions and you will absolutly lower your strenght if you go high reps or do suboptimal reps that are just to get a pump.

Go search for Mike Israetel its all you need. Him and Eric Helms.

Ask google your question with their names and you will find podcasts and timestamps hopefully.

let me know when you've started squatting.

Why is your weight on your toes?

Harry? Harry Potter?

thanks breh, love you

Well, form chek anyone? 97 kgs 3x5, second set, got a feeling that my form is no longer sustainable, should I consider deload?

you arent pushing your hip erectors out in front of you

Lower faggot, look at your bar path

Deload

Whatever is more comfortable for you, I personally prefer low bar.

You're squatting low bar but you're not taking advantage of how it allows you to tighten up your back at all.
Your bracing in general is sub-par and makes your reps inconsistent and body go all over the place. Watch Supertraining's video with Chris Duffin on how to squat.
Also any particular reason why you stand so wide?

I alternate between front squats and high bar sweats. I don't see any point in putting the bar a few extra inches down your back.

first time using wl shoes in this, they feel completly diffrent to chuck taylors had to learn how to use them

>you're not taking advantage of how it allows you to tighten up your back at all.
Yeah, it is how I felt in the end, most likely because I still not used to wear belt enough, since it tightness makes me feel like my back is tightened enough. I will deload to 85 and work on my back more.
>Also any particular reason why you stand so wide?
I am doing it the way Rip said, maybe it looks extra wide since my feet are pointing outwards a lot naturally.

>Low bar during the first year of lifting while simultaneously training to achieve the mobility required to perform a proper high bar squat and a proper Front squat
>Proper High bar / Front Squats for the rest of eternity

This is the only non-DYEL and non-snapcity answer...

why_not_both.jpg

Can someone tell me why my lumbar spine might be hurting when I high bar squat?

Weak core and/or butt wink

Requesting the sumo vs conventional picture like this.

I disagree about the mentally challenging part. I find front squats a lot more intimidating than back.

some day i will be 70% that clean

highbar for ~5 years (lowbar hurt my shoulders), no longer squat

highbar vs lowbar elitism is silly

get bigger traps