Is keto a waste of time or legit?

Question Veeky Forums
If you have 2 diets with the exact same calorie deficit, say 30% for example, and one limits carbs to less than 20g per day; (Keto) do you think you will yield faster results or does it matter?

No

you drop 5-15 lbs of water weight on keto in the first week or two, and keto personally reduces my hunger by a shit ton which makes keeping calories low easier.

calories in still equals calories out though, so like if this was over a year you'd still technically lose the same amount of weight if you ate the same calories

I don't seem to feel more full yet, how long does it take?

>calories in still equals calories out though, so like if this was over a year you'd still technically lose the same amount of weight if you ate the same calories

What makes keto more appealing than other diets purely on a CICO basis? The high fat/protein content that helps to feel more satiated?

Will keto ultimately burn more or less the same amount of fat as any other diet, but just might be easier? Is it common to have a "carb crash" after achieving success with keto and fattening back up again by eating too many carbs afterwards?

short term (6 weeks) it is legit, but you are fucking with your kidneys on purpose
>rabbit starvation

it is not sustainable long term, hence the Atkins progressive diet changes

overall, protein is the least calorie dense food and fats the most, but both in cunjunction make satiety much faster than carbs.

try this: eat 12 hard boiled eggs, and 12 boiled medium potatoes, see which keeps you full longer

Keto raises basal metabolic rate but you said same deficit not same caloric intake so technically results would be the same

So will being in ketosis burn more fat than a higher carb diet at the same number of calories in.

You don't always feel more full, just less hungry. You also need to stop thinking you need to "feel full" and eat to satiety (satiety does not mean until you're stuffed). This was a big part of my weight loss, was understanding that I don't need to be full all the time so don't worry.

Because keto makes fat your primary source of fuel and primes your body to burn fat for energy it's easier to lose fat, and because of all the protein you're eating it minimizes muscle loss. And you gain your water weight back when you get off of keto, but you wont gain fat unless you're eating too many calories like every other diet.

My second day doing keto. What makes you lose water weight? Is this why I've had liquid shit twice today?

your body uses your glycogen stores (which hold lots of water) to try to make up for the loss of carbs while it transitions into ketosis, this is also why you pee a lot in ketosis.

Make sure you get your fiber and protein though and arent taking too many magnesium supplements.

Not that user, but I appreciate your advice. Thoughts on making sure you are getting enough salt and potassium? I understand that most keto diets are seriously lacking in both. Any thoughts? Will lacking in these make someone feel miserable (headaches, hunger, etc)?

Yeah you will end up feeling absolutely miserable. I think that's why people like shilling against keto, because they tried it and felt like shit because they didn't do their research and were massively lacking in electrolytes.

Besides salting your foods and meat a lot, Lite-Salt is a godsend for keto. It's a salt substitute for people who are on low-sodium diets so it's mostly potassium (like 3/2 potassium/salt ratio). It's really good for getting your potassium, some people put it in their water and add some type of carb free flavoring but I just eat it raw because it's quicker.

Spinach and other dark leafy greens and Avocados are some other good keto things for potassium. Coffee also has some. Boullion cubes to make broth to drink are also really good for sodium. The exact numbers for what you need are 5000mg sodium, 1000mg potassium, and 300mg magnesium every day for keto.

OP here. I have read some advice about drinking broth with pink Himalayan salt to help you feel better. What are your thoughts on that? Maybe I could drink it before a meal as well to help me feel more full.

That definitely helps, yep. Doesn't matter what kind of salt it is though

>doesn't matter what kind
good thing I spent the 6 bucks on the PINK SALT.

I am also wondering. If I wanted to do Keto short term for a jump start to getting fit again is that completely pointless? Say for 1 month to 6 weeks? Keto is not something I am interested in making a lifestyle.

Saved this post for reference. Thanks a ton. Not sure why I don't see more emphasis on avoiding these deficiencies so that keto isn't so miserable.

That's fine, you dont need to make keto a lifestyle. Just beware of gaining back water weight when you eventually get off of it.

that's because nobody here knows shit about keto, go to /r/keto on plebbit for actual info. I hate reddit too but that's the only place that isnt full of misinformation

And no problem, I love helping ppl w/ keto because I've lost 80lbs and am finally at a healthy weight with it. It's been a lifechanger and its annoying how many idiots try to push people away from it.

I'm on my 3rd day of keto and I already want to quit, it's pretty miserable the carb cravings are intense as fuck.

But seems like everyone who goes on keto drops a shit load of weight really fast, and not just water weight but lots of fat too.

Do you know of anyone having bad breakouts on their face because of keto. I never have issues and my face is suddenly destroyed after I started eating keto. Maybe I'm not used to so much dairy???