Free weights

So I just lifted with free weights instead of machine for the first time yesterday and I didnt feel anything in the muscles, no soreness today when I woke up also compared to what I get when I use machines.

Did I do it wrong? Or does this take time?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/flexibility/comments/4lxu1l/welcome_to_week_1_of_the_squat_mobility_month/
youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Free weights are a meme. Engineers designed those machines for max gains.

Stick to machines. More efficient and safer

funny that the Veeky Forums guide to beginner lifting says the opposite.

Next time do more weight.

your form was probably shit. with machines you don't pay attention to form because you don't really need to. correct your form my dude.

Your stabilizer muscles are underdeveloped because you only do machines. So when you do exercises with free weights your big muscles don't work on their maximal capacity because it's stabilizers that limit you. And these don't get sore because they are too small.

So more free weight exercises.

Machines should be an accessory to free weights.
It's ok to do machines but don't prioritize them over free weights. Also make sure your form is 100% correct, if it is and you're still not feeling anything then go up in weight.

dont listen to these idiots

Do more free weights.
It gives you better flexibility for real life purposes.
You won't sit in a machine for the rest of your life.

Since this is a thread about free weights I'll go ask here.

I'm getting one of those 20kg dumbell sets. Will those be enough to provide resistance for someone trying to have some upper body definition (starting from literally chubby noodle arms)? Can I do all the upper body workouts I need with those weights?

20kg should be fine for a start to many excercises.
Shoulders and traps. Biceps and chest should also be fine.
But you will probably need to visit the gym if you want more variety and do back excercises.
Or get yourself a barbell

Something I also forgot to ask:

I literally cant do a normal squat, I have to start standing on my toes to be able to stand up.

Anything I can do to become better at it?

How heavy is the weight?

literally no weight, if I try to do a proper one I just have to stand on my toes and i sometimes lose balance. Im not flex at all.

Rotate your feet to point more outward. Don't think you need your toes parallel pointing straight out. At least this was my mistake

Find what's most comfortable and do body weight until you get a feel for it and build up flexibility. It also doesn't hurt to stretch in general

It will help. No, not its not enough. You need a barbell or the gym at some point

reddit.com/r/flexibility/comments/4lxu1l/welcome_to_week_1_of_the_squat_mobility_month/

Start deep squatting every day, as long as you can. For warm up 5min running, foam rolling and video related
youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI

You are tense and immobile. Only way around that is to work on your flexibility

stretch daily and you'll be able to do it soon

t. tallfag who used to be unable to do deadlifts and squats

Thanks. Is there really no way to avoid gym? I'm too poor for it. If it's just the barbell I need, is there some way to use dumbells as an alternative for them (like bench pressing two dumbells or something). But if it's not just the barbell then I might not have a choice huh

thanks, gonna make this shit work

>Is there really no way to avoid gym?
You can get fairly close to 1 years gym progress after a few years of calisthetics/bodyweight stuff but it's a lot harder and takes a lot longer

>If it's just the barbell I need, is there some way to use dumbells as an alternative for them (like bench pressing two dumbells or something)
Obviously. The problem isn't dumbbells vs barbells, it's the amount of weight. Benching 40kg isn't going to do shit for you after more than a couple of weeks unless you're an 8 year old midget.
With a gym membership you typically aim
to bench around bodyweight + 20% within 1 year (approx 2 plate for most people).

In short, any dyel can improve themselves at home within a couple months from DYEL progress but you need to lift properly at a gym to look anything other than DYEL.

>listening to anime forums advice on fitness

Did you get a good stretch and full range of motion it is a lot easier to cheat with free weights. Also try lifting slowly and squeezing the muscle on the way up.