Physical Therapy General

Title related. Am PT. Ask about your strains, pains, sprains and gains. Will answer.

Other urls found in this thread:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/msc.1191/full
thesports.physio/
cirquephysio.com/home/want-an-amazing-pike-you-better-start-flossingyour-nerves
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9qbvAN3gQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Good timing on this thread. My foot's been giving me grief since gym on Monday, think it's a lack of ankle mobility that did me in. It hurts to put weight on, not enough that I can't walk but enough to make it a bit miserable.
Also my back feels strained doing deadlift, probably poor form plus inflexible hamstrings so hamstring mobility work is on the cards too.
You younguns don't know how good you have it etc.

>Ankle

Ankle issues suck, especially with pain on weightbearing. My first advice would be to de-load your ankle as much as possible and rest it if possible. Aside from weightbearing, is there anything that aggravates your pain, and is there anything you do to solve it?

>Back
There can be a lot of things affecting your back during deadlift. Start with the bottom and work your way up - correct foot position as well as knee tracking are important. Make sure to stretch your hamstrings regularly, as well as your hip flexors. Consider some back mobility exercises as well. Does the strain persist after deadlift?

Had issues with left anterior delts for a while, I think I completely fucked them on monday, now I get pain when not doing anything with arm. Didn't do anything with that muscle since monday, how long should I pause using it? I started doing more posterior delt work and some Light shoulder mobility stuff.

Also, left hip flexor pain while squatting.

> Ask about your strains, pains, sprains and gains.

This is a million dollar motto if I ever saw one.

>L. Anterior delts
Posterior delt and mobility stuff is good. Keep that up. As for the anterior delts, hit them with these three things: rest, stretching, ice. Rest them for a week or so. No anterior raises or OHP, and avoid things which might aggravate them. Use ice to manage inflammation and for pain relief, and once the week has passed, do some light stretching and continue your shoulder mobility work.

How long has that problem been going on for?

> L. hip flexor pain when squatting.
Stretch your hip flexors, glutes, hip abductors. have you had any joint pain in the past?

I started 5x5 this week and I'm dyel. Form is all over the place, I have no doubt but I'm not trying to lift a truck. Come from a history of bad posture. Have previously done Yoga.

I feel like pic related is exactly what I want to do. My middle back has this dull, vague pain that isn't too bad but it's bad enough to disturb me. On the good side the only way I don't feel the pain is to make sure I have a good posture. If I slouch, it feels bad.

Can sleep and lay down in any position just fine.

Been stretching and moving the back and that took out some of the pain.

Just strain from doing stuff I'm not accustomed to?

>forgotpic.jpg

My shoulders snap crackle and pop constantly, with or without weights. They're really bad during bench presses and push ups. I tried working on my form and stopped doing bar bell bench and just do dumb bells now which seems to have helped a little.

Is there anything I can do or am I fucked from 30 years of inactivity?

>Form is all over the place

deload and work on your technique. No sense in having quads for the gods if you're in a wheelchair

> bad posture

Correct this before you do anything more. A strong spine and hips are the foundations of strength building. Your middle back pain may be muscular in origin if shifting your posture is enough to make it better. I suggest you look up some scapular setting exercises on youtube, and see if they help.

Also, you will feel strain from working out. Your body isn't used to this kind of thing all of a sudden. I'd recommend you do some conditioning work - pushups, situps, stretches and some basic cardio to put stress on your joints and cardiovascular system, and work through pain and problems as they come on.

Have you had any treatment for this postural issue?

>shoulders snap crackle and pop

I have the same thing. It could be the movement of muscles beneath the acromion process or around the shoulder joint, it's all a bit vague once you get to the shoulder.

I'd suggest this - deload your bench and pushups until you get your form right. That's your technical work taken care of. Then, work on shoulder mobility. Stretching, light resisted movement (think low-weight dumbells) and light bench.

if problems persist, have a chat to your physician. Worst case scenario you'll need radiology

Is it painful, and have you had any treatment in the past?

I'm recovering from a hamstring tear but I have a new problem where whenever I squat with even the bar, the next day the high hamstring tendon is inflamed on the same leg as the tear. My Pt says its not bad enough to be classified as tendinitis but its really annoying me. Any ideas?

>Is it painful, and have you had any treatment in the past?

No, and no.
If I do a reverse grip with a barbell it's not so bad, and a neutral grip with dumb bells is okay. Lateral arm raises causes it too sometimes.
I'm really just worried that I'm sawing through a tendon or something.

I used to do push ups without no issue other than being weak af, but after weeks of push ups I started feeling a real pain in my wrists. I could not for the life of me put any strain at all on them. It got so bad one morning when I woke up, that I could not put any pressure on them, while being on all 4 in bed. It since got better, but I still feel a slight pain.

Now, I realize I might have fucked up. I did handstands weighing 93 kilos without proper warmup. Can you tell me what I should do to strengthen/rehabilitate them?

>recovering from a hamstring tear

This is tricky, because depending on the grade of the tear you'll need to treat it differently. Mild tears take about two weeks to heal - the hamstrings are used a lot when walking, and recurrent activation and shock can be enough to prolong their healing. More severe injuries will take longer to heal, obviously.

There are two ways about this - one is the most extreme where you can stop squatting, avoid stretching, and do some light movement when you can to recover. Keep walking and doing normal things, just avoid stressing the old injury. Also, consider weightless exercise like low to medium intensity swimming.

The other extreme is to keep working and roll with the pain. Think of it this way, if it hurts, back off until you feel better, then try again. if it hurts less than the first time, you can try to work through it if you feel up to it. If it hurts more than the first time, back off completely.

Other than that, light resistance work is always good. Avoid anything too heavy until you can complete 40% of your 1RM pain free.

- What was the intensity of the injury? Were you off your feet?
- Have you had any treatment for it?
- What other exercises are you doing for your legs, and do they cause pain?

>sawing through a tendon or something

Tendon inflammation presents with different symptoms to what you're describing, so I'm going to rule that out provisionally.

>Lateral arm raises

When you do those, perform them in the plane of the scapula. Don't do them out to the side, but with your arms brought slightly to the middle.

You could lose your licence or get sued for giving advice out willy nilly you numbskull. You can't diagnose shit based off 2 lines of text anyway.

t. physio

Just for a laugh, what's your treatment approach to non-specific low back pain?

It was a high end grade 2 tear followed by a little not as major reinjury. The hamstring tear is coming along fine. It was in the lower and mid bicep femoris. But this inflamed high hamstring tendon is a separate issue. Im not doing any exercises for my legs atm. I can stretch my hamstring fine (bent and straight leg). And when the inflammation settles down after a few days after the very light squats it feels almost normal. Then when I the empty bar again i dont feel any pain there but the next day I do. Leg curls and other hamstring rehab stuff doesnt aggravate it. Thanks for the reply!

2 weeks ago i heard a crunching noise doing lateral raises, sharp pain in my spine opposite my breastbone where the pain also spread. since then the pain has stopped but the right side/base of my neck is sore(that might be because of new bed.

i also did deadlifts(lol 40kg) that day but i'm assuming it was the raises.

basically what did i fuck and how fucked am i?

Its fucking anonymous what are they going to do

>non-specific low back pain

There are stages to this, and you work through them as they come. It's different for everyone, and the patient trajectory is different based on a number of factors, including the chronic/subacute nature of the pain, prior experience with treatment, and other things besides.

Screening starts with patient interview, obviously the nature of symptoms, 24-hour behaviour, aggs and eases, and red and yellow flags. The patient interview is just that, find out about their symptoms and go from there.

As for the actual treatment approach, there are so many different approaches out there that it really comes down to what you're trained in and what you've found works best. If you want short-term relief, you can try for vertebral pressures or spinal cavitation, but that's just short-term and it keeps people coming back. Middle-term treatments include postural re-education, centralisation work, and paraspinal muscle activation. Once again, it depends on the nature of the problem.

Personally I prefer Maitland physio with plenty of exercise and graded progression. Sometimes, 90% of back pain is in patients' heads and giving them work that empowers them can make all the difference.

The short point is this:
- Centralise the pain.
- Avoid aggravating postures
- prescribe active treatment
- Discuss modification of ADLs
- Educate
- Encourage participation in daily living.

And in closing, remember what the motto of this place is:

>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact

Nothing wrong with encouraging people to take responsibility and interest in their own health. Whether people action on the advice here is up to them.

Is there any "fast" way to even momentarily get rid of an annoying chronic tension neck that is causing slight dizziness at times? I have been doing the exercises my physiotherapist gave me but they take forever to have an effect and I'd like to try if something could relax the neck completely so I could be sure my symptoms are really caused by the tension neck. some kind of muscle relaxant maybe?

The usual prognosis for GII tears is six weeks off followed by rehab until you can transition back to function pain free. The tendon inflammation may be from a lot of things - if this goes on for more than another week I'd recommend you see an actual physical therapist about it - it could be a number of things but the major concern with inflammation high on the hamstrings is to do with sciatica.

There's no fast way around rehab. Do the exercises, take your time with them. Don't be in all so much of a hurry. Have you discussed your dizziness with your physician or physio?

yeah I even saw a neurologist about it and had an MRI taken so I'm not that worried since it really seems to be caused by the neck problems. It's still pretty annoying, especially when working out.

I just figured it would be nice to verify it really is caused by the muscle tension by somehow getting rid of it even momentarily. It would be motivating as well I guess.

My problem is that you're not screening people for red and yellow flags by giving them advice over the internet. What if one of these dudes has a tumour?

Empowering people is good, and I hope you don't phrase your explanation of pain to patients as 'all in your head'. However, pain IS 100% in the brain.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/msc.1191/full

Evidence for paraspinal muscle training is weak. Posture doesn't matter as much as you think it does. It doesn't come down to 'what you've found works best', because there is only one truth. Stay woke.

I have questions:
- Has the pain improved since the injury
- is it worse in the morning, the evening, or does it not change throughout the day
- What makes the pain worse?
- What makes the pain better?
- Have you taken any anti-inflammatories or pain medication for this problem?
- Does the pain spread, or does it stay in the one spot?
- Have you continued exercises in spite of the pain?
- Have you experienced a past injury to this area before?

>red and yellow flags

That's a fair point, but let's consider the population here: young, physically active males new to strength training. The population of injuries you'd see here is broadly musculoskeletal, and people are generally forthcoming when describing their problems, which on the whole are simple and easily addressable. Often, the only thing that's needed is a little knowledge to bridge the gap between a problem and its solution, and the human body is a machine that can be understood. One truth, and all that.

>What if one of these dudes has a tumour

Again, consider the population. I'm not saying young people don't get tumours, but given the demographic you've got here it's less likely that it's a neoplasm and more likely that it's an injury. Plus, you're on Veeky Forums. Everything is cancer here.

>I hope you don't phrase your explanation of pain to patients as 'all in your head'

I don't.

>pain IS 100% in the brain

I concede your point, but I'm from a time where pain was considered the consequence of structural derangement or insufficiency. That being said, a semantic argument about pain would probably derail the thread, and is best discussed on its own. Thanks for the article, though, I'll read through it after dinner.

> It doesn't come down to 'what you've found works best'

So long as it's evidence based, safe, effective, and clinically relevant, it's good. Neurological physio is an utter clusterfuck of things that all seem to work. The One Truth you're discussing is a singular point of evidence that we can tend towards, but are far away from. There are multiple solutions to every problem, and the solution that works best isn't often the most empirically sound, but the one that addresses the patient's problems by their own definition and according to their own metric.

>Stay woke

Y-you too

Dizziness can come on as a result of muscular issues in the neck. Google "Cervicogenic dizziness" if you're interested - it might shed some light on your problems. The actual mechanism for it is rather complex, and I can describe it if you want, but the bottom line is this - do the homework your physio sets and see how you track.

Ok you don't seem completely retarded. If it seems that 'everything seems to work', doesn't it make sense to think about the mechanisms through which these things are working through differently? What I'm saying is, if everything seems to work, the primary treatment effect could be neurophysiological. This could be why treatments for which the original model now appears to be flawed still get some positive results (manual therapy etc..). Then one might get to thinking that getting the patient to 'buy in' to the treatment is highly important too...

Anyway, I'll leave you to it. You might know him, but Adam Meakins' blog is epic and totally anti-bullshit.
If you were ever to read something 'work-related' for 'fun'...my recommendation would be that.

thesports.physio/

>don't seem completely retarded

I'm on Veeky Forums. That's bad enough.

>if everything seems to work, the primary treatment effect could be neurophysiological

That's correct. In this case, it raises other questions, like "Am I treating a physical, measurable problem, or someone's perception of that problem?"

>getting the patient to 'buy in' to the treatment is highly important too

It isn't just highly important, it's the most important thing. It starts with trust: the patient has to trust you as the practitioner. Once they trust you, you could tell them to hop on one leg, rub their stomach and pat their head, and they'd do it. Once they trust you, they'll follow your advice come hell or high water. In good cases, you can use this to empower people. In not-so-good cases, you can use this to create a dependency dynamic where your patients can't function unless they get their manipulation done. I see people to never see them again. If they re-present with the same problem as before following discharge, it's my problem too.

>thesports.physio/

Thanks. I've bookmarked it and will read after dinner. With that article you mentioned

I'm trying to gain the flexibility to do forward splits, but my hip flexors, TFL and sciatic nerve are holding me back from making flexibility gains at this point.
I've been doing some assisted PNF stretching, but i've hit a wall and am still about 30 degrees off having a proper split at best.

What do?

>What do

Sciatic nerve stretching is going to take the longest to overcome, followed by TFL and hip flexors. Aside from that, rotate your stretching program - what are you doing aside from PNF stretching, and how long have you been working in your current routine?

cirquephysio.com/home/want-an-amazing-pike-you-better-start-flossingyour-nerves

I have cubital tunnel syndrome since September. I just want it to get away what gym exercises can i do so it doesn't get worse

>- Has the pain improved since the injury
the back pain has gone, but my neck only flared up after i heard the crunching
>- is it worse in the morning, the evening, or does it not change throughout the day
morning is worse but its there all day
>- What makes the pain worse?
tilting my head left and right and looking down, no pain twisting it
>- What makes the pain better?
not moving my neck
>- Have you taken any anti-inflammatories or pain medication for this problem?
no
>- Does the pain spread, or does it stay in the one spot?
just in my neck
>- Have you continued exercises in spite of the pain?
stopped lifting entirely
>- Have you experienced a past injury to this area before?
no

i think my back is completely healed, basically its just my neck now

>what are you doing aside from PNF stretching?
Groin stretch, side lunge stretch, rectus femoris dip stretch, calf stretching and a few others
>how long have you been working in your current routine?
Started a few months ago, but ran into sciatic issues within 2 weeks, it feels like the muscle isn't being stretched much and it's mostly nerve
discomfort. Hip flexors just won't give at all and the rec fem stretch can be borderline painful at times. I have a slight disc bulge that may be pinching a little, but it's mild and contained to the right side; and both legs have the same flexibility issues rather than being unequal.

I'm thinking about seeing a chiropractor I know, will it help with my sciatic issue if it's caused by the bulge or shitty nerve routing?

If this has been going on since September without relief, talk to your doctor and see if you can get a referral for further treatment. Normally, I'd say avoid doing anything that aggravates the nerve for a bit, but seeing as this has been going on for more than six months, it's safe to say you should talk to a doctor about this, at least to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

dear op

is it possible to strain or dislocate collarbones? and/or shoulder blades? i've been having unbelievable pain in the joints of my right scapula and clavicle for two weeks and my doctor has been on vacation. it's a burning soreness in the joint of clavicle-sternum, clavicle-scapula and near the lowest point of the scapula blade, and sometimes radiates up my neck and down my right arm. the internet says it could be anything from cancer to lack of magnesium. it's sore in the mornings but by the evening it's so bad i can't extend my arms or pick up even a fork to my mouth, and the pain keeps me up all night until around 6am when it goes from a stabbing sharp feeling to a dull burn and i can get an hour or two of rest. i can't lie on my back and i'm sleeping half sitting up against a mountain of blankets and pillows. i get some relief from stretching and pressing my collarbone sort of back and outwards. i can't take deep breaths without a stabbing sharpness near the bottom of my shoulder blade.

additional info: i recently found out i have a slight herniation of my T2/T3 disk, could it be radiated pain from that? or severe muscle spasms related to it? is there any hope? i'm on a massive dose of lyrica and indocin already and painkillers don't seem to help.

thanks in advance

This sounds like a muscle spasm that might be aggravated by your sleeping. It might have an inflammatory component as well, given that it's worse in the morning. I'd suggest light stretching - slowly look to the left and the right, then up and down, then tilt your head left and right. Take it slow, don't jerk.

I'm also going to say, talk to an IRL PT about it because A) neck issues can be iffy and B) you'll need someone to assess your patient history to accurately gauge treatment.

In the meantime, take it easy for two more weeks, use a heat-pack or ice-pack if it takes the edge off, and do your best to keep as active as you can. Don't drink your chocolate whey and DL a car, but do your day-to-day shit as best you can.

cool thanks

I can't comfortably lie on my back on a hard surface due to a protruding bone just above my ass-crack. For crunches etc. I need to put a pillow under or it becomes extremely uncomfortable, bordering on painful.

What do? Is this indicative of anterior/posterior pelic tilt?

The problem is that nerves have a finite length - they don't respond well to being stretched beyond a certain point, which is why when people pay $10,000 to get their legs lengthened, they often have postoperative complications with their feet.

What you're running up against is most likely a physical limitation with the length of your nerves. Given that it's symmetrical, rather than unilateral, it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with you per se, but if you think visiting a chiro will help, seek that out.

I don't think there's anything wrong with you in terms of disease, but you are on Veeky Forums when you could be improving yourself as a person.

Leave this place.

when lying in bed, i sometimes crack/pop the left side of my tailbone when stretching.

Do i just work on my glute strength?

>Is this indicative of anterior/posterior pelic tilt?

Those problems would present differently and have different treatment. From what you've described, it sounds like it might just be your coccyx or a mild bone spur at worst.

What you can do is work around it. Use foam mats when you can, avoid lying flat on hard surfaces, and monitor your pain.

That doesn't sound like a problem - cracking your joints is normal, and it's not normally pathological. Does it cause you pain when this happens?

>is it possible to strain or dislocate collarbones

Yes

From what you've described - and thank you for being so thorough - this is something that needs to be investigated in real life. Either wait until your doctor comes back from vacation or get a referral to a physical therapist. Given the severity of symptoms and the fact that painkillers aren't helping, I'd say sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your help fella, I've looked into that "nerve flossing" article and will try to incorporate some of that stuff into my stretching.

>but you are on Veeky Forums when you could be improving yourself as a person

True, I'm having a few down days due to a pretty serious wave of depression and I visit here when I'm bored or unwell mostly; it's a reality of life that I just have to ride out but I'll be back out there really soon if this lets up a bit.

Thanks again for your help though, bless your little cotton socks user and be sure to have a nice weekend.

No worries. I hope that your situation improves and that you can get back to enjoying the breadth of life's experiences without burdens, be they physical or psychological.

thanks op

luckily i have an appointment for tuesday when he's back but i wondered if there was something simple i could do to mitigate stuff over the weekend.

anecdotal, but my secondary concern is that i'm not currently in my native country and this one uses a quack tier pain management therapy that is not found almost anywhere else in the developed world. it's basically injecting novocaine in order to disrupt the "interference fields" of one's "natural energy" which cause the pain. i went through this once already without any real explanation on what was going on (language barrier) and i'm not looking forward to facing it again if it's something that could be handled with PT.

well, in any case, thanks for listening. you have a great weekend

What's your speciality user? You sound MSK/outpatient focused.

I did MSK but found it be like a checkout till with people given sheets of exercises that they wouldn't perform and improvements from spontaenous recovery.

I'm now a neurology specialist with interest in amputee rehab and find it more rewarding

Whenever I squat, no matter if I'm warming up with light weight or doing my normal sets, I get an intense pinching pain in my mid/upper quads in the movement. I warm up decently but it still happens. Usually goes away a bit as sets continue in my 5x5 but I still really feel it during and a couple of hours afterwards if I move my legs around. What could this be, and how can I fix it? I low-bar squat btw

Any confirmed safe shoulder exercises? I only do face pulls, shrugs and lightweight ohp (below 110 lbs) these days. I screwed up my shoulder when benching a couple times (fixed my bench now) but I it still hurts a little bit on most shoulder exercises.

I've done a little bit of everything. Decided to start my own shop so I can make my own dime and suck my own dick for a while without worrying about hospital overhead. Amputee rehab sounds dope though - I'd love to do it but I'm a fuck so it's not going to be an option at this time.

How long has this been going on?

The thing with shoulder exercises is that you need to them in proportion. For every pushing movement (anterior delt) you should do a pulling movement (rear delt.) Things get even more ropey when you consider that the shoulder isn't just the delts, but a bunch of muscles in your shoulder and pec as well. All of them contribute to the stability of your shoulder. If you've got shoulder pain, deload to the point of no pain and work up from there. Consider doing some light resistance band work; the best therapy is to load the system and get it working as close to your stressor movement as physiologically possible.

Your warm up is probably shit. Start stretching twice a day. Blows my mind how people can't figure this out.

Stretch all lower body, focus on adductors and hip flexors.
Frog and Lunge. Spend a few mins of quality time rocking into the stretch, contracting against it and also passively.

I'm not sure exactly, I started working out 4 and a half months ago and it's been like this for at least 2 months, but I have noticed it a LOT more the last couple of weeks. I also need a lot of lighter warmup to get a good squat depth.

>shoulders
So is it ok if I keep doing light OHP, face pulls and shrugs? Am I missing out on shoulder gains? I also go quite heavy on incline bp (no pain there). Any good website with stretches or resistance exercises you could recommend? Is there any safe dumbbell stuff I could add?

I sometimes get minor pain in a bony spot between my front and middle deltoids. It's not bad and it goes away after a day or 2 however my shoulders do tend to pop and crack quite a bit in general.
I'm careful with keeping good form and do face pulls, good warmups etc. Should I be worried even though I haven't had anything more than slight pain?

Just tried lunge stretch and I really felt it near where I get this pinching so that's good. Going to try to do these every day, also trying to do the frog made me realize how fucking garbage my flexibility is.

They've helped me reach atg, couldn't even reach 1/2 squat before. I find this I really helpful, worth looking at.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9qbvAN3gQ

Nice. If I do these every day for 10-15 minutes, how long could it take before I'll start seeing progress, and most importantly not get this pinching pain on squats?

This user made a good suggestion, On top of that, I'd suggest two things; doing bodyweight work until you're back on form, and varying your form when you do squat with bar.

There's plenty of safe stuff; So long as you're not wrenching your shoulders around like an idiot you'll be okay. You're not missing out on gains, so long as your programming is sensible and your recovery is good. Your current program is good.

If it gets more painful, then you can be worried. Crackly shoulders are normal, as long as they don't hurt. right now, don't be worried.

Progress comes very fast at first, you'll notice a difference in a few days in how loose they are.

I'd recommend to stop pushing weight though for a short time, try to make reps solid and smooth because chances are you will have more ROM and if you keep pushing to add weight fast, you won't use this new ROM and effectively "'lose it".

I like to do that series twice a day, before lifting and before bed or when I wake up and before bed.

Contrary to popular belief, the negative effect of stretching before lifting is minimal unless it's literally intense stretching 5 seconds before a max.
You will be able to get into better positions when lifting and over time, these become natural.

I'll do these stretches and spend a little longer on problem areas such as lunge and frog. So for example, I might hold a little longer so instead of 30s maybe 60s, or I'll do an extra set of stretches for it or more contractions. I find the stretches I mentioned help my squat the most.

You can't really go wrong with it, just be consistent with it, dont go 100% every time you stretch, just go to like challenging instead of excruciating.

And frequency matters much more, which is why ideally doing this twice a day (morning and night) is better than trying to double up and do it all at once.

When you do it for a while, you can just figure out what you need and play around with it. Maybe you need to address a certain area more, maybe one area feels really good when you stretch it, maybe you need to modify a stretch because you can't do it right now.

Frog was very hard for me at first, very uncomfortable but soon it gets better, just rock into it gently, if you can't have shins at about 90, bring them in and try to get them further out as you loosen up etc.

Everytime I squat heavy my SI joint gets irritated. Form is good. Diddlying doesn't irritate it, only squats.

Should I lower my weight on squats until it gets better? My squat form is actually decent and I can reach a pretty good depth as long as I'm warmed up and into it. Currently I'm doing 105kg for 5x5. Should I still go down a notch to like 95?

I would personally but it's your call

Right shoulder is sore and hurts whenever my palm is facing up and I put downward pressure on my arm.

Google-fu tells me that this is Biceps Tendinitis.

>hiking pacific crest trail
>go to sleep with tightness in area circles
>next morning feels like I got stabbed but keep on hiking because ego
>stride was shortened and my foot stomps on occasion
>ive had full range of motion but squatting or walking whIle loaded is out of the question.
>xray showed nothing, anti inflamatories did nothing
>been 8 months and I'm still feeling it

Any help would be appreciated

Oh and the pain doesn't feel muscular but "deeper" if that makes sense. I've ruled out sciatica or torn muscle but bursitis seems plausible

Any tips on bicep tendonitis at the shoulder joint, I gave it two weeks off and have just got back into benching, its not as bad but still cant do pullups or rows.

My shoulder feels kinda fucked, but not when lifting. Only when I drive or sit for extended periods of time does it start pinging.

It's basically close to my left shoulder on the front of my body, but more underneath my clavicle.

My hips pop everytime i get up after an extended (greater than 15 min) period of sitting. I have chronic dull (1/10) pain in one of my hip capsules. Its a deep pain. Not superficial like muscular. The pain is exacerbated by squatting with dull pain noticeable after the first squat that can linger for days afterwards.

I squat ATG. Ankle flexibility isnt super but i get knees past toes. Slight buttwink. Im tall and my femurs are fucking huge though.

Ive been stretching my hip flexors like a madman and the pain has gotten a little better along with my resting posture. Im curious what you think about the hip popping. Could i be impinged? Should i drop squatting before snap city?

Just a heads up lads, I've got to go to bed now. If this thread's still up in the AM, I'll respond. I've taken a trip just so you know it's me. I am dedicated to helping you, and I would not willingly give you false information.

I will see you soon

Fixed

Start trying to squat as upright as possible and deload whilst you fix your problem. I have long femurs and squat almost perfectly upright and can pretty much drop into splits whenever. Judging by what you said, you need to work on ankles more and adductors.

Adductors are usually never mentioned for some reason and they get very very tight. Try frog stretch.

Spend lots of time in this stretch, its what every long femur lifter need and over time you can push knees out more and adopt slightly wider stances resulting in a better upright squat where legs are properly used.

I get crazy tension through my right trap/rear delt and sometimes along my ribs. Sometimes a heavy shrug or yesterday a heavy close grip row will cause a deep pop in my thoracic spine and it relieves the tension significantly. But I looked online and everyone said injuries and misalignment to that area is super rare. My big thing is how do I prevent flare ups? And is it related to those pops I hear? I stretch and warm up my shoulders. I also played football for 10 years if that helps.

Thanks for the feedback brother. I think what Ill do is front squat for a long while and ill definitelty work ankles more. BB Highbar squat is my fucking Moby Dick.

Agreed I only frontsquat now

Knee pain, mostly below the kneecap, patella tendon if I'm reading the knee diagrams correctly. Knee goes super weak and shaky when putting pressure on it eg, stairs, sitting down. I've been doing simple quad stretches and it gives me pain relief for a few minutes.

Just started lifting again after a few years. Decided to start over with SS and work up. My second day I did overhead press, dips, and power clean. It was definitely not a heavy weight, but it's been a while since my body exerted that stress.

The next day, my upper back has this strange pain around the spine whenever I move my head around. Should I be worried, or have I forgotten what doms feel like there?

Hello how long does it take to heal a bulged disc with physical therapy? My pt is not answering my questions about it fully. And I can't afford to switch offices. Thanks

it does cause pain.

Today my left piriformis hurt and i had to walk really slow.

It's probably a hip issue with the joint being disconnected. I had the same issue man. Get a Mri

>how long does it take to heal a bulged disc with physical therapy

The question here is kind of broad - the treatment is going to be based on the specific kind of injury your suffered. Depending on the nature of the disc bulge, it can take anywhere from weeks to months, and that can be altered even more depending on the kind of activity you do. What is the full diagnosis, and what exercises / treatment has your PT given you?

How long has this been going on? Did it come on all of a sudden or has it been gradually becoming worse? Have you ever had issues with that knee that required a refrain from sport, change of activity, or any kind of bandage or brace?

Can you describe the pain in any way? Does it stay in the one place or move around? Do you feel it in a specific point or can you feel it elsewhere? Is it an "ouch" kind of pain or not-quite-pain?

Miminally bulged disc l4 l5
-they said it could heal but it's been about 3 months since I do cobra pose and planks crunches

That's fair - that's about the time I'd expect for that kind of injury. My best advice for you would be to have a frank discussion with your PT and see if there are other options you can take - tell him that there hasn't been improvement for a while, you haven't been able to achieve your goals, and that you'd like another set of exercises.

I'm glad this is able to heal I've read everywhere I was fucked for life.

I don't think you're fucked for life - back injuries are tricky and they definitely have the potential to develop into longterm problems, but you can get past that by being sensible.

- Practice good load management strategies
- Maintain good posture and lifting movements
- Avoid aggravating movements when you can
- See your PT regularly if you need to for treatment, but make sure it's effective, lasting, and relevant to your problem.
- Don't think of it as being in terms of fucked for life. This is just a momentary setback. You can bounce back from it.

Thank you, I've been doing everything and still have pain while picking up a carton of water. But i plan to stick to it and do everything I can. Thanks, ll

Any suggestions for immune system related arthritis. I'm in my 30's.

I've been taking ibuprofen.

That's a question to direct to your doctor, not to me as a PT. The best advice I can give you is to avoid painful movements, aggravating activity, and to take care of yourself as well as you can. Get enough rest, food, water, and be generous to yourself.

Bump

Another issue is my tibia bones are Externally rotated and femurs internally rotated. I'm getting surgery to correct it bu it'll be a year before I can walk. What are some good exercises for this

Have a mild AC joint strain, no ligament separation. Is there anything I can do besides rest and ice

Fellow PT here

Do you ever get sick of treating fat old lazy people who never do what you say and have no motivation to get better, plus the endless treatment notes and paper work? Do you ever regret getting into this like I do?

I hate going to pt and seeing people complain but don't do anything to get better. But some of the physicsal therapists are condescending.

distance runner with knee pain, front and lateral. i think its tendonitis, besides not exercising legs what do to prevent this pain from continuing/returning?