ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9734727
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2182973
ajcn.org/content/49/3/427.full.pdf
nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=371&page=310
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

somebody actually took the time to make this

>a can of diet coke will kill you

These are not the bad thing, aspartame is the sugar replacer and is really fucking unhealthy. A friend of mine is studying bio chemistry and in their research they are finding it to be really fucking bad.

>aspartame is the sugar replacer and is really fucking unhealthy.

Oh, dear. This meme.

>he doesn't drink cherry pepsi max or SIPS

Guys I'm in a terrible moral dilemma.

My father is 81 and his age is really showing. He loves diet coke. He loves carbs. He's about 50lbs overweight, 230-240 lbs.

Do I redpill him on everything I've learned about nutrition and possibly extend his time here on earth, or do I let him live his last years blissfully ignorant?

Yeah its not like its been widely studied and considered unhealthy in almost all academic circles. I am a medical student, please school me with your broscience.

> consider unhealthy in all academic circles.

Shame nobody told literally-every-single-health-organisation-on-Earth who have reviewed it for half a decade and concluded it's safe for consumption.

>diet soda associated with increased risk for various health disorders

I hate this fucking meme. People who drink soda (diet or otherwise) generally make worse diet choices than people who don't. The soda itself is barely a factor.

Everyone in my office who drinks the stuff also goes out for fast food every day and is a fat fuck and/or has diabetes. Blaming health conditions on diet coke is just a bullshit fatlogic excuse

hop off your fathers dick, he's 81, he's gonna die soon if he stops drinking diet coke or not.
>he probably doesn't even want to live another 5 years

>hop off your fathers dick
You are a sad, sad man.

ye hes old

dont deprive his dad of that boipucci

lmao this makes a fuckin diet coke sound as bad as dip actually is

>trying to change the way your 81yo father lives
lol dont bother the poor bastard you retard

>safe for consumption and unhealthy are mutually exclusive

Yes aspartame is bad! It's much better the drink the high fructose corn syrup instead because CORN is NATURAL
Think about it people!!!!!
- my mom on facebook

>I am a med student
Oh yes please educate us on healthy dietary choices where you review all the relevant literature in the three weeks of dietetics you study over your entire education

Checked

oh my

>drinking soda as an adult

Do not fall from god's grace.

Yes, its not really unhealthy within certain limits, just like drinking is not really unhealthy within certain limits, that does not make it healthier. Also for the fucktards on here, I am not saying drinking regular coke is healthier, I am saying stop being a fucking pussy and drink water.

Checked

>Mfw I waste such a good get on a shitty post like this
Sorry brehs

>Drinking anything other than water, alcohol, milk, or juice from a fruit
>Ever

You are truly a meme

Just fyi, aspartame is so benign they haven't even managed to find its LD50.

Nice get

>drinking anything other than water and alcohol as an adult

The only thing true about this post is that yeah it's fucking bad for your teeth. I admit it, that's real bad.

Everything else is just meme at best.

I tried completely changing my fathers diet the years before he passed, but you have to remember that it didnt take a couple years for him to get in his position, it took a lifetime of eating shitty. I wish i would have just let my old man chill out and eat whatever he wanted before he died. Might have made the last couple years/months more bearable.

I've been thinking about this. Is it okay to drink Diet Coke even if you work out? I'm addicted to cok and the only thing i can drink is grape juice.
Having lunch and dinner without coke kills me inside a little more.

He's 81 years old, friend. Let him enjoy his Diet Coke.

Wasn't that bad, you told off that annoying med school retard.

I used to drink a lot of this stuff. Not because it was "healthier" or 0 calories but because it genuinely tastes better than regular coke and it doesn't leave a sugary film on your teeth.

Why do all other diet sodas (including diet pepsi) taste like shit but Diet Coke is god tier?

if only there was some kind of drink that contained no sweeteners and was actually healthy for you.

Jizz

cheked and rekt

No let him be

>triggers insulin

Triggers Veeky Forums autism

I suppose you can link some of the researches saying aspartame is really fucking bad then.

I'm waiting.

>artificial sweeteners are bad!
>*takes protein supplements*

xD

BTFO med students is always a worthy post

That's a certainty

meme as shit, "tricks your taste buyds" yea right buddy, you're not only retarded but you also have retarded taste buds.
nothing, literally nothing without calories will ever trigger your insulin, its literally impossible, if your body releases insulin because of coke zero, well, its not zero then,
>addictive high similar in the way cocaine works
the retarded that did this clearly never snort a single gram of cocaine kek, make me laugh more fucktard
>you crave sweets
people crave because they are fat fucking whales
>dehydrates rather than hydrates your body
yeah, thats why you piss when you drink coke,
so fuck you and your mom science

>yeah, thats why you piss when you drink coke,

The reason you get dehydrated is that your kidneys go into overdrive to remove all the garbage. Your kidneys use up your stored water to dissolve it and excrete it as urine

>bro science and IM A MEDICAL STUDENT

>The indicated increased clearance rate of plasma Phe after albumin may be caused by the significant increase of insulin, on which aspartame had no effect.
>insulin, on which aspartame had no effect.

Science, bitches

>Diet coke *may* cause these things.
>Diet coke correlates with fat people.

Yeah. Great. Pokemon episodes *may* cause sudden diarrhea, and Nicholas Cage movies correlate with drowning deaths.

It's almost as though possible connections and correlation don't mean shit.

I'm a biochem major.

Studies please. Would be interested.

PhD student in nutrition here, you're retarded and the "widely studied" aspect shows it to be safe

Any papers that weren't published 25 years ago?

Here you go? Try pubmed first next time
doi.org/10.1017/S000711451000512X

The only thing in aspartame that you should be worried about is when it breaks down into methanol, but it is converted to something else quickly and it;s not even enough methanol to damage anything.

The only study that had literally adverse reaction was some faggot who self diagnosed a migraine and they had the placebo.

I hope you fail out of school quickly or are never a physician in my region.

he won't listen but go ahead and try.
at 81 he should be having regular fucking coke since it's all fucking over anyway.

I was gonna side with the other guy but that get forces me to believe you instead.

Nah m8 that was pretty savage

>tfw when a fucking student thinks they're an authority on anything

witnessed.

It absolutely can, if launched at you with a sufficient velocity. Don't laugh. My brother died that way.

>med students think being a doctor means anything except treatment of disease
Literally you aren't taught how to prevent, only treat and the sooner you realize that the better

> zero calorie and sugar soft-drinks which are 99% water by volume are bad, Cosmopolitan said so!
> eats fast food biweekly, 400g of carbs a day, has an office job with a step goal of 4200, doesn't lift and has a BMI of 28.

The average western adult, people.

>fat storage mode
Lol

i just drank half a can of diet coke with my pizza cheat meal

fight me faggots

Pretty much this. There is evidence of some minor negative effects. But unless you're Scooby-tier levels of health nut, you have much bigger problems to worry about.

>like regular coke can trigger insulin

no it cannot. diet soda does not trigger an insulin response.

>Yeah its not like its been widely studied and considered unhealthy in almost all academic circles

Aspartame: neuropsychologic and neurophysiologic evaluation of acute and chronic effects. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998 Sep;68(3):531-7.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9734727
Conclusion: Large daily doses of aspartame had no effect on neuropsychologic, neurophysiologic, or behavioral functioning in healthy young adults.

Effect of aspartame and protein, administered in phenylalanine-equivalent doses, on plasma neutral amino acids, aspartate, insulin and glucose in man. Pharmacol Toxicol. 1991 May;68(5):408-12.
Conclusion: Protein causes insulin increase, aspartame has no effect whatsoever.

Aspartame ingestion with and without carbohydrate in phenylketonuric and normal subjects: effect on plasma concentrations of amino acids, glucose, and insulin. Metabolism. 1990 Apr;39(4):391-6.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2182973
Conclusion: Aspartame has no effect on insulin response, whether alone or in conjunction with CHO.

Aspartame and its constituent amino acids: effects
on prolactin, cortisol, growth hormone, insulin,
and glucose in normal humans. Am J C/in Nuir 1989;49:427-32.
ajcn.org/content/49/3/427.full.pdf
Conclusion: "We conclude that these doses of aspartame do not alter secretion of prolactin, cortisol, growth hormone, or insulin in normal individuals."

nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=371&page=310
Many controversial reports are available on the use of aspartame as it releases methanol as one of its metabolite during metabolism. The present study proposed to investigate whether chronic aspartame (75 mg/kg) administration could release methanol and induce oxidative stress in the rat brain... [An increase in indicative enzymes was observed]... Moreover, the increases in some of these enzymes were region specific. Chronic exposure of aspartame resulted in detectable methanol in blood. Methanol per se and its metabolites may be responsible for the generation of oxidative stress in brain regions.
Source:
Journal of Biosciences; Iyyaswamy and Rathasamy, Sep2012, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p679-688, 10p

this goes to show what kind of garbage research is being done these days.

75mg/kg in an 80kg male is 400oz of diet coke, or 33 cans.

>>
>The only thing in aspartame that you should be worried about is when it breaks down into methanol, but it is converted to something else quickly and it;s not even enough methanol to damage anything.

see it takes a lot of diet coke.

I'm a med student myself and I just don't trust anyone in the field (unless he is a serious researcher) particularly my fellow students. The lack of skepticism and scientific literacy is staggering.

cyкa блять

Here's a question, what do you call it if a person creates a strong opinion on a topic, then goes out to only find evidence that supports his view and ignores all other evidence? Is this an unconscious bias, or a conscious bias?

you have to be a real moron to fall for the diet drink meme. a real american moron

Conformation bias is generally an unconscious effort.

I refuse to believe there is anyone here actually stupid enough to drink coke or diet coke

This thread has to be a bunch of shills

That get changed my opinion on aspartame.

>this is the actual intelligence of nu/fit/
>literally scared of water

Because all the thin people know coke zero is better

Nice get
>T. Actual MD here who loves rekking those cocky 4th year med students

>fat storage mode
Holy shit! Been on fit for years (oldfag no big deal) and no one has ever talked about fat storage mode!

Sounds totally like a real thing

>hop off your fathers dick

kys

Fuck you man.

Fuck.

>Switch on fat storage mode

Where i stopped reading

Mirin, getting a SIP for you

if he took care of himself he should have another 10 years ahead of him

i'm 90 and i feel fucking great dude

>Overweight at 81
He will die next year, if dubs he dies next month

no man
just let him enjoy his last years the way he wants

>Aspartame may trigger taste receptors and trick your body into thinking it has just processed sugar.
MAY being the key word here, there is evidence showing it does not.
>Like regular Coke this can trigger insulin
Again, CAN, it does not
>Correlation between diet soda and obesity related diseases
Obese people drink more diet soda
>Can cause addiction
This is literally just caffeine
>It doesn't stop sweet cravings
True to some degree.
>This makes you likely to reach for another soda ...
Just like drinking water would, is water bad now?
>A can of coke provides no nourishment
Just like water
>It will never quench your thirst as it dehydrates rather than hydrates your body.
Not true at all.

>There is evidence of some minor negative effects
no

he is 81, mate unless he has grandchildren and a hobby i doubt he wants to live for much longer

That looks written by a keto fag

>fat storage mode
yeah