Running General

>Who is going for a run?
No treadmill for me today - out in the world, with a gang of runners.
>Distance planned?
I'll do 10k today, so if the group doesn't do that much, I'll run home after to make up.
>Planned Pace?
Steady (for me at the moment, 6:34/Km)
>Expected terrain?
Trails, half-melted and re-frozen tire tracks and footprints.
>Current run training goal?
1/2 marathon by end of May
>What plans are you using?
Using the last few weeks of the 'Running Room Book on Running', by Stanton.

K keep me updated

All of that sounds incredibly shit

running fucks up hypertrophy and strength gains. do any other type of cardio instead

Is it true that sprinters have bigger, better looking muscles and endurance runners look very thin? What is a sprinter's training routine I could follow 3-4 days a week, on days I'm not lifting?

Sprint

What's your planned finish time for the 1/2. That long run pace had you aiming aiming for 1 hour 47 minutes which is an odd time to aim for.

interval training will get you on rail. want me to explain?

That is a 'steady' pace, as defined by the program. Race pace is 5:41 (2hr)
I'm doing it on trails this time, to make it different.
This author has them in the programs as part of hills and speed training, also on long runs, recommends 10/1 run/wakl.
I think he has intervals covered well, but if you got something else...

Sure, thank you

well, im just gonna state how im doing it, been running for almost 5 years now, close to breaking 35 minutes on 10km. not gonna claim i have the best way or some wonder training, but this works well for me.
anyways, you basically alternate between short sprints and low intensity jogging/walking/standing, based on your stamina. begin with a 20 min workout of sprinting for 1 min/until failure, then doing low intensity for a bit until sprinting again. either wait a set time or just until you feel ready again, especiallyif youre just beginning.
example workout:
40 minute training
1 minute sprint
1 minute low intensity jog
repeat

its true that marathon runners wont go far in the direction of gains, which imo is because the body is being built for two completely opposite directions. however sprinting can actually increase your hypertrophy gains by training you anaerobic catabolism, which in turn helps you with going for PR's, to name an example. can back this up with science.

Hitting the treadmill for a quick 5k before my workout, like I always do.
Around 7:45 pace. I'm a lot slower now that I'm 200lbs instead of 135.

So, I want to lose some fat and I decided to start running
I had some bad experiences in the past because I always placed impossible objectives and I would burn out
I also get really anxious when I cant catch my breath, and feel Im going to die

This time I decided to get my shit together. I've been eating good for two weeks now, and I managed to go out running four times this week
Each day has been truly better than the last one, and I feel I'll be able to keep on

My question is:

How is progression for runners?
I jog from my house to the beach to warm up, and train endurance (only breath from the nose)
And then I just run /sprint until I lose my breath a couple times
Then stretch and head back home for showering
The whole process takes about one hour

I dont wanna fuck up by doing bad exercises, and I dunno what should I do
help is very aprecaited

>train endurance (only breath from the nose)

First and foremost don't limit yourself to breathing through nose only. Try a controlled breathing cadence, like in in in / out out out, but if it feels forced just inspire through nose and out the mouth.

As for progressing, the main thing is being consistent. I started from walk/running last summer and could barely run for a minute, now I can go at trail runs 21k+ and enjoy the experience. I'm not fast but I'm working on it.
On the fat loss side of things I think it depends on how much you have on yourself. I was pretty out of shape and lost ~20kg with portion control and exercise.

Can't offer technical tips as I'm no trainer, just go slow and take care of your joints as they are the easiest thing to fuck up when starting.
Cheers

>Distance planned?
None.
>Planned Pace?
Steady
>Expected terrain?
The forest.
None.
None, I only run to complement my cycling.

>Bike is under repairs
>Try to run so I won't lose much.
>Get hit by a motorbike the third day.

Never again.

>sprint until I lose my breath a couple times
I'd advise against this. Focus on easy runs and consistency, and you can add some 4x100m strides (near top speed running with a gradual acceleration and slow down, but not an all-out, sprint effort) after two months perhaps
>I always placed impossible objectives and I would burn out
Start with three 30min runs a week

>wave to runner passing in opposite direction
>they don't greet me back

Who is going for a run?
It's 9pm here, already did today, going tommorow morning
>Distance planned?
dunno, probably around 16km in total
>Planned Pace?
Gonna do some k repeats, around 3:50, nothing stupid, got a 10k in two weeks, hope to go under 39
>Expected terrain?
Asphalt
Canova based

I hate faggots that don't wave back

how do you guys build endurance?

I've been going to the gym a few times a week for a few months now and generally warm up by running for 5 minutes@12km/h so about one kilometer but after every time I'm absolutely exhausted and need like two minutes to recover

my lifting has improved substantially over the period but my endurance seems stuck

go slower, 6-7min/km

Yep. I hate when I pass another runner and I say good morning and they either ignore or stare at me like I'm insane. They don't even need to answer. How hard is it to give a little wave or a nod?

Scum. Sub-human scum.

Anywho, I've got a 10k race tomorrow and am hoping to get as close to 38 mins as possible. Probably won't get under it yet but my PB is 38:51 and I will be disappointed if I don't take a big chink out of that. I did a 5k last week in 18:45 (not PB) in windy conditions and with half of the course on grass so that's given me hope for getting close on tarmac in nice conditions.

All these guys running sub-40min 10km's in this thread
How do you guys do it? I've only managed one in 49min. I'll be running another in the summer

Another day of 10mph for 6 minutes (treadmill). Might try to put it up to 10.2.

I stopped doing long distance cardio because it was killing my gains.

Last year I was consistently running just over 18 minutes for 5k (in parkruns) without doing any real focussed running training.
Now I'm training for a marathon in the summer and I have a half in 3 weeks. Training is more frequent and more focussed, including proper speed work, and I feel faster. Did another 5k this morning expecting to get down to at least 17:30 but I ended up slowing in the second half and doing 18:12. Fucking frustrating. Doing a track 5000 next weekend so I'm really hoping I can smash it then.

It's all about the intervals. 5x1km with 3 mins easy jogging inbetween is a good one. Of course you can do whatever works for you. 20x200m, 10x400m, etc.. Also, longer slower runs help a lot. My HM pace is about 6:40 a mile but most of my long runs I do at 8-8:30 mins a mile so as not to wear myself out. Tempo runs, fartleks, hill repeats and recovery runs all have their place. And try adding some strides onto the end of your slower runs.

>How is progression for runners?
Progression to what?
I suggest building just what you are, an hour of exercise capacity. Monitor your mileage, and don't increase much, or every week. (recommended is usually +10%/week no more than three weeks in a row)
Want speed? Do a speed training program with your hour of exercise capacity.
Want endurance? Add walk/run miles (safest kind of miles) by leading a training group, or walking slow dogs. Basically, commit to some patience-drills.
Want to look good? Get big slammy headphones, high-waisted short-shorts and knee socks. Belly shirt is optional ONLY if shoulders exposed. Do entire marathons as strict form drills.
It is worth regularly doing form work. If you are injured and can't run, do core work, what form drills your medic allows, and strength train legs so you keep developing running anyway.

With this in mind, as a beginner, I planned my sprint attempts (I called it 'training' but it wasn't) for the end of long runs. My reasoning was that 'maximum effort' could be achieved at the start or end, but at the end, it would produce the lowest speed/lowest risk of crashing.

But maybe, being old, I'm overcautious.

>take a big chink
You go, faggot!

>I stopped doing long distance cardio because it was killing my gains.
Long distance IS gains.
I agree building muscle with long running is hard mode, but very do-able.

Realistically what are my chances of being able to run at a 8:30 or less mile with 3 years of training if I'm not a fat ass?

I don't know how many farthings in a codswollop.

Can you ask in english?

>5x1km with 3 mins
I did a few of these sessions last summer, but I took a 4min rest in between. I was able to clock the repeats in the 3:55-4:00 range. Sustaining that pace for a full, continuous 10k should take quite a lot of more work. I think I lack in my aerobic base and I should just run more easy miles, especially long runs

>a 8:30 or less mile
Seriously, that's not very fast
Depending on your fitness level, it could take you anything between immediately to a month or two. Assuming you're not a fatass. Not sure if you're trolling

pretty good
I could run that now and I've done a bit less than a year of training.

Miles are an English unit you fucking imbecile.
I'm all for SI units but don't pretend that they're standard English.

Also "farthing" and "codswallop" are both clearly English words as well fucking hell.

I feel like I should say something about a release mechanism, but I'm tired of this already.

I think whether (You) can run a given time/distance is a key question, but not one someone else can answer. You need to take your current ability, available training time, and do a bit of math.

If you dont run at least 11km/h (no matter what distance), you're basicaly just walking faster and you should kys.

They want to know if they'll be able to run a sub 8:30 1.61km.

Also, farthings were coins and had and had nothing to do with distance and I don't think there were any in a codswallop as such a thing doesn't exist..

Sorry, that was meant for

Not knowing their current fitness level, experience, disabilities, or gluten stance, any number would be as relevant as codswallop.

And fuck, I meant fathoms, not farthings.

Faggot.

>11km/h (no matter what distance)
I'll bite. Are you suggesting that the above is your hundred-mile pace? Or that you think you should kys?

7mph is an easy warmup jog-run speed, I'd say good chances if you're otherwise in okay shape.

not him but pretty sure he means you should run at 11km/h even if it means you have to go for a shorter distance

>you have to go for a shorter distance
No thanks.
The most admired athletes have always been endurance athletes.

Source: Humanity.

11km/h is hardly sprinting though
you won't do 100 miles but decent runners do marathons at like 14km/h and elite runners considerably faster than that

Yep. It's incredible to think that most people can't run for 100m at the pace that the top marathon runners can sustain over 26.21 miles. Or people like Yiannis Kouros who once ran the Spartathlon in 20:25:00. That's just over 8:00 miles pace for 153mi/246km which is absolutely sickening.

I like being able to enjoy hours of running, chatting along the way if I like. You can rage, and call it 'fast walking' all you want, but it's a fundamental part of being human.
Not being able to run a marathon, but to be able to run the game down. That means however long it takes. That's what is most formidable about humans.