/cardio/ general

Can we have a /cardio/ thread?

Running, cycling, swimming, etc.

>Came to Veeky Forums to start lifting weights
>Fell in love with running instead

Todays run: 4 miles at 8:14 pace
How about you?

Other urls found in this thread:

abc.net.au/news/science/2016-08-09/superfish-challenge:-michael-phelps-vs-real-fish/7679300
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cardio is the only truly redpilled exercise. Normies avoid it because they lack the will to git gud.

>be me
>not gud yet but gitting gud
>just ran 5k at 7min/mile pace

Never really timed myself nor measured how far I ran but yesterday I went for a jog, thought about turning around and stopping but just kept going and going, made it all the way to the next village over, was pretty proud of myself

How much can you guys last jumping rope?

Anyone do HIIT?

Were the ringwraiths chasing you?

>normies avoid it

Its literally the first thing they do when they want to lose weight. But its also a huge meme. Interval is more efficient, gives better results and is easier on your joints. Running x miles is like lifting x weight with powerlift form. Its 100% ego.

I started out with HIIT a few months back, before switching to long slow runs.

It turns out that HIIT is the only thing that's worth it. Everything else is trash if you want results.

My shoes broke. Fortunately it was winter so I could use my winter boots, but now I'll need a new pair and I'm thinking of buying running shoes so I can go run outside during summer nights.

Any tips / advice? What to go for / what to avoid?

Any swimmers here on fit?

I unironically don't have a gym membership, as my excercise consists of swimming and body weight stuff.

Well I was talking more about hard running (actual running), rather than the soccer moms who waddle a mile so they can show off their new Fitbits™ scores.

Interval training is hard and definitely not attractive to normies. It's mentally draining, and it slowly eats away at your morale the more you do it.

but why

Gtfo, this is /cardio/ not /pleb/ general

Long slow runs will appear desireable after doing too much HIIT. You'll want a way out, but eventually you'll realize that running is just like weightlifting. If you're not stressing/pushing your body, then you won't improve.

Interval training (+two recovery runs + one long run on Sunday) is the only way.

It will depend a lot on your running mechanics, you should go to a specialized store to have your gait checked, then they'll tell you some recommendations.

>Came to Veeky Forums to start lifting weights
>Fell in love with running instead
Same, now I do BW and run on trails

But I meant actually running. Its unnecessary and inferior in every way to HIIT. Also mentally less draining because of short workouts. Running is for cucks who don't know better, sprinting is for men who want to get better.

that is perfection

>Also mentally less draining because of short workouts.
Yeah I'm sure your 30min HIIT session is harder than a marathon

From your post, it's obvious you do neither and more then likely are using some type of drug to help cut.

HIIT should be supplemented with longer runs for best results.

>1.5 mile in 9:49
>5 miles in 39:00

Am I going to make it anons?

>Tfw do a 10k at the weekend
>tfw aiming for 38:30
>tfw trained really hard
>tfw missed my 5k pb by 2 seconds a week before the event in very windy conditions
>tfw get to day of the event and it's ridiculously hot and sunny
>tfw fail miserably in front of all my running club buddies and do a pathetic 39:28 missing my target by almost a minute.

The first 3 km went really well and I kept a good pace but then the heat caught up with me and I slowed right down. Annoyed becaue it was foggy and chilly in the morning the day before the event and I seriously think I'd have been close to my target if it took place then.

How "hard" it feels is irrelevant. HIIT builds more stamina in less time.
Running a full marathon is unhealthy and a useless "skill".

Great argument, nice ad hominem. 10/10 post.

>for best results
Source?

>running club
that's actually a thing?

compared to who?

That must be why I'm always so horny.

Well, that and no gf.

>Doing hard things to get better at doing hard things is a useless skill

>this message brought to you by long distance runners

I think chicks who regularly run between 4-8 miles a few times a week look way better than marathon runner types.

What's a good mile pace for biking?
Can't run have shit-tier knees.

> run 5k
>pacing your run in miles

Why

whatever 30km/h is converted too

faster if you're in a group

It has no additional benefit to stamina, which seems to be the goal,
and it doesn't have additional health benefits, so yes it is useless indeed.

You seem like the type of person who does only body weight push ups to improve his bench. Just because it's hard.

>you aren't improving if you aren't pushing yourself
>push myself
>actually throw up all over my bike

hahahaha

Been there. Good stuff.

>try running
>after 5 minutes shins feel like they are on fire

Welcome to the realist side of cardio.

>yfw only deadlifts can get the same response

It's mastery of self through running, there's few people for self disciplined than marathon runners

Yeah this is pretty much true in my experience as well.

4x4 intervalls at 17 km/h. I'm shooting for 10k sub 40

kek

Here's the truth. We were meant to run. It's the one thing we have over all other mammals. We can't run as fast as most mammals, but we can run further than any other mammal on planet earth. Persistence hunting is how we used to kill larger game like Buffalo and Caribou. Hunting tribes would literally run for hours chasing it until the prey collapsed from exhaustion.

Humans run. It's what they do. Combined with hunting tools, it's how we survived for tens of thousands of years.

Weight lifting is great, trying to look good is great, all fitness is great even the gimmickey stuff is still cool because you're trying to better yourself but when it comes to the ultimate exercise there is no more human thing you can do besides fuckin run.

There are tales of tribes who would run for three straight days, and we even have some people doing that in modern day (google it).

>but we can run further than any other mammal on planet earth
whales say what

I am deep in plebville, but sub 40 for 10k is wicked. What is your 5k pb?

Cardio is the final redpill. ''''''weightlifting''''''' is for literal fatties and offers few actual health benefits. They have to look big to make up for their inability to communicate effectively with girls. Cardio is the purest and most natural form of exercise for the true alpha male.

>Cardio is the final redpill.

Wrong. The final redpill is brap posting

Last time I did 6km at a little under 33mins, felt great after but kind of disappointment considering I could do much better in high school. Probably will do something similar today. Also plan on moving toward intervals as I progress.

Whales can't run, humans are absolutely SHIT swimmers

You honestly think an animal that doesn't have and legs can run further than a human?

Yesterdays bike ride, I got a race on sunday so gotta get ready

HELP??

I'v never been into cardio. Two weeks ago I started because I want the heart+aerobic benefits. I am not interested in weight loss. I run 2 times a week, each time I increase distance by 200m. Started with 1000m. This is how it looks.
>stretch
>warm up 200 m run
>rest 30 sec- 120 sec
>real run 1000 m
>rest 30 -120 sec
>cooling 200m.

Now this seems stupid to me, but I am doing it with a normie girl so I just copied what she does. Opinions? Can you give me a routine to follow? All tips are wholeheartedly appreciated.

>humans are absolutely SHIT swimmers

kick-boxing counts as cardio, r-right?
>tfw broke a girl's shoulder last week sweeping her feet and she fell badly on the shoulder
Now the QT beginners at my gym are afraid of sparring against me eventhough I just focus on technique and cardio rather than strengh ;-;
come back I won't hurt you

damn dude nice

that's a damn good ride

Their loss mate. They are missing on all that sexy muscle

Danes with their absolute flat country, so easy.

I mean if you just keep doing it you will get better no matter what. Keep doing it with your friend running with someone is always cool.

If you really want to deviate and not run with your qt3.14 then do Couch to 5k! It's a great way to get into running and at the end of it you really feel accomplished and it doesn't take much time!

5k is 18:43 but I'm aiming to smash that this weekend.

Don't get me wrong it's still a good time. If you told me 1 year ago I'd be running sub 40 10ks I'd have called you crazy. I think I was so annoyed because I should and perhaps could have done better but the heat really got to me. It wasn't super hot but when all my recent training has been in temperatures between 10-15°C and all of a sudden it's about 25°C on race day I just wasn't acclimatised for it.

Another reason for my annoyance was it was my first official race representing my running club but they still seemed to be impressed with my time. We only had a small number racing but I still came second out of my club mates. The one who beat me finished first in under 34 mins.

oh is it? never been there.

I will implement the walking instead of standing still rest. Thought this couch to 5k was a meme, like those abs workouts. Thanks for input.

Nice one mate. What distance is your race?

lol I knew some dumb faggot would post phelps

a fucking newt in its first minute of life swims better, faster and longer

It's a meme because it's so popular.
In reality it's just a way for you to be able to say you have ran 5k, which is great. It's a starting point.

>Claims humans are great swimmers by posting a picture of someone who would easily get outswum by a shark swimming half heartedly.

they can cover more distance than any human in one go yes

muh gym bag

85 km, should take 2½ hours at max

lol, nah I know. In both speed and endurance Phelps could not compete with any fish.

abc.net.au/news/science/2016-08-09/superfish-challenge:-michael-phelps-vs-real-fish/7679300

But for a human Phelps is freaky fast!

I know they can travel further but can they run faster/further?

That's like saying humans are better swimmers than whales because speedboats are faster.

Half human half boats do not count

>an they run faster/further
in their own domain absolutely

b-b-but

they don't run

any tips on proper breathing when just starting out? i always get a really rough throat and chest hurts when running even a short distance, im thinking that may be due to not drinking enough water though

I am also beginner so somebody correct me if I am wrong. This happens when you breathe through the mouth. Sometimes you just have to breathe through the mouth. Whenever you can you should breathe through the nose so that your throat doesn't dry up. Breaths should be fast and shallow.

forgot to add. Chest pain on the left side of the rib cage, towards the last rib is because the capsule of the spleen contracts. This contraction pushes blood out of the spleen to compensate for the inadequate oxygen supply to muscles. It should go away soon. To avoid it I think running slower helps, not sure.

>chest pain on left side
chest hurts

chest pain is scary stuff, talk to a doctor. If you are getting chest pains without much work, that's a bad sign.

nah, i don't get stitches anymore, i'm more talking right in the top of the rib cage, a couple inches above the solar plexus

also I am trying to breath through the nose as much as possible, it could be that i just need power through and get to baseline fitness level for endurance

It's irrelevant, because the earth orbits the sun and covers a lot more ground than a whale.

will do user, hopefully its just me being shit at running

Is running barefoot bad for the joints/ligaments? Talking about hard surface.

I've never run barefoot but I believe the key is to ease into it. If you haven't done it before it can lead to injuy going to hard to fast.

What's your pb at x bodyweight bros

22:30 5k at 90kg shitter here

So I've started couch to 5k (not overweight, just kind of want to stop being a lazy cunt) and it's going well but my right knee is starting to get a bit munted. Push though or rest it up for a few days and double up the runs the next week?

resting for 1-2 weeks you mean