Best advice you have ever gotten?

Through your lifting career you have gotten both shit tier bro science advice and genuine sticky level advice. If you have to pick the single best lifting advice you have ever gotten what would it be?

>Inb4 drink 1 gallon a day lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NYN3UGCYisk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

"eat more"

Eat 10g of protein per lb of lbm

Listen to your body, if you're always exhausted and don't make progress, lack motivation etc you either have to adjust Your diet or take a week or two off from going to the gym

It's memey as fuck but basically
>do bench press
>imagine my body is pushing the bench down while also pushing the bar up
>same idea with squats
>with deadlifts I imagine I push the floor down while pulling the bar upwards
Mind muscle connection is a meme but this helped me break several plateaus somehow

>Taking time off
>Making it

Pick 1 (one)

makes sense, thanks friend

This is actually real good advice imo

Low reps = medium reps when it comes to muscle growth

you dont need a fuckton of isolation, stick to improving weight on compounds

Low reps = ?

Do a bit of fucking research.
I got sucked in to Rippetoes teachings at first. While I can not blame SS for being a shit program, I should've listened to my body for a bit.
IF YOU CAN DO HIGH BAR SQUATS THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO DO THEM.
Low bar fucked my shit up big time. It hurt me to walk, couldn't hit depth in low bar squat without lumbar movement. Now I squat high bar: My ROM's improved, my lumbar stays in position and my back problems have diminished. Had I stayed on my journey of strict LP I'd been fucked. Now I focus on things that help my progress instead of just forcing myself on it

Continuity beats micromanaging your macros etc. and hopping from one fad to another. Goes for diet and routines.

What

>Eat more
That's honestly the best advice you can get. Getting big isn't hard other than constantly downing food/mass gainers

Low reps = medium reps

>IF YOU CAN DO HIGH BAR SQUATS THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO DO THEM.

so just because you're retarded and don't know how to low bar squat with proper form means no body else should do them? Fuck off fag low bar is far superior to high bar when it comes to being able to handle heavier loads. Theres a reason literally every powerlifter squats low bar in meets.

Low bar > High bar

it depends on how you're built

3 reps builds as much as 5-6 reps?

>that happy trail

Read starting strength

what works for someone else may not work for you, so try what you can till you find something that clicks.

> you need disciplines not motivation
> stop caring about what people think of you
> if you believe you're a 10/10 you are a 10/10

Always work your back more than anything else . Its the biggest limiting factor in pretty much every compound lift and will make you as big and strong as possible.

Bracing

structure your routine around heavy compound barbell exercises

front squat: when out of the hole, try to press your elbows under the bar. not pressing with the chest
OHP: do chinups and ab workout between sets. chinup is antagonistic movement to ohp. really drove my ohp.

most important belly breathing and bracing, for all lifts

eat more, train harder, sleep lots

That bulking is a meme. I thought that to get big you need to eat big but that just doesnt work as natty. You will only become fat. Building muscle is slow as fuck.

Lean bulk and always stay under 16% bodyfat. That is my advice. Ive spent way toi much time cutting because i thought i need to be fat to build muscle.

Find your own way, your own excercises, your own pace, even the most suiting technique...and do it for yourself, not someone else.

>Continuity beats micromanaging your macros etc

Yep. Minmaxing is for elite lifters; until then just do something sensible while being truly methodical about it, for several years, and you'll make it. Get bogged down in rep ranges etc and you'll get discouraged and quit

your back/pull day can take roughly 1.5x+ the volume of your push/chest days

most people arent training their back hard enough

Fuck you and your file name

This is also true. Even if it does speed your muscle growth up a bit to overeat, who wants to look like a big fucking turd for months and then plateau your gainz while cutting for a couple more months? Just stay steady and look good the whole time

Eat big, get big.

there is no chad.

just talk to her.

That's a lie
[spoiler] ur chad;) [/spoiler]

Follow the fucking program. You can't decide if it's shit until you've run it all the way out.

How is that?

>>if you believe you're a 10/10 you are a 10/10
This is the most helpful thing, and it's just profound how it works. Feels like magick

Hi, Rip

well shit, so far i've been doing like 2 times the volume i'm doing on chest day, i thought i was just weird. maybe that's just you and me and maybe some people don't have superpowered back muscles

Ya got me

If you lift for girls you'll never make it.

If you're an army fag like me then bulking and powerlifting makes life alot harder... Switched to military athlete and I'm actually feeling fit

muscles only get bigger if they have to.

Simple one that my high school coach told me and it's stuck so far.

>per lb
Holy fuck. That'd be like 1600g of protein for the average adult male.

Ray Williams, Jezza Uepa, Buafia Muhamed, John Haack, and Bryce Lewis are all current or former world record holders who squat high bar

Focus on eccentric contractions, never had better burns

>implying its a bad thing to relax for a week

:(

More volume. Don't waste time with weak shit like 3x5. Lift heavy until you nearly die.

To breath right. Helped a bunch.

Cheat but don't get caught. Works for everything.
>school
>work
>relationships
>fraud gains
Makes everything in life so good as long as no one suspects shit

do deadlifts for sets at 75% of max

>read starting strength and practical programming
>doing weighted chins and weightes dips will grow your arms more than curls or tricept pushdowns ever will
>facepulls for shoulder health
>do cardio/conditioning when bulking.

Gonna disagree with you there. I got to 300 3x5 squat on starting strength then 330 5x5 on texas method soon after. Maybe you should actually lift heavy before telling people 3x5 3 days a week is not volume or heavy.

Those are some very fake tiddies, that or she has literally god breast genetics.

>significantly higher incidence of knee injuries due to shear forces and problems achieving depth
>inefficient position leaves hamstrings underworked compared to quads across longest and not functional ROM in your repertoire, putting even more strain on the knees
>inefficient use and training of the muscles of the posterior chain in the only exercise capable of actively recruiting them all into a functional movement, limiting power potential and stunting overall strength development
>look like a prissy faggot mucking about with babbyweights and struggling to pass 265 unless you're literally a champion weightlifter
>spend entire time as a coach and athlete coming up with ever more ridiculous 'technical' reasons for why you can't fucking squat properly

Yeah totally.

you sound surprised faggot

fuck you for telling me now i have to post in this thread thanks a lot

I don't know the anatomicaly correct terms, but for some people high bar is more convenient and healthy for some it's low bar

i'm always depressed because of my life and stress is making me progress very slowly if anything at all. just out of noob gains and i haven't made any progress in 3 months. all of my lifts went down despite doing them 3x/week. my bench literally went from 90 kg for 2 reps to struggling with 72.5 for 3. could ohp 60 kg for 1 easily but now i can't even do 52.5 for 3.

i kind of feel that i'm wasting my time at the gym at this point but on the other hand going makes me feel better.

I'm assuming your physique has noticeably improved, though?

>Don't go to failure

My other best advices have already been posted so I'm going with this.

My gains are the same but I have a faster recovery and less/no DOMS anymore

MORE VOLUME.

Do as much volume as you can handle. Volume volume volume volume.

Highs reps low weight vs low reps high weight makes way less difference than a lot of people suggest.

fucking this man, focusing on the back has done wonders for my physique and also for unexpected things like OHP

Consistency is more important than anything else.

Push your goddamn knees out.

Cardio is not a meme.

Do rows.

This is legit if you are not a brainlet (like me)

no idea, bulked up too much so i'm somewhere between 20-25% bf right now. don't have any before pictures either because i never cared much about looks. just kept going to the gym because it makes me feel better

Switch your program up you sorry ass faggot.
Also take BCAAs before/during workout to SMESH IT

Holy dubs. This is the truth.
Friendly reminder that you should row at least as much as you bench.

already did. also had a rest week but nothing helps. not spending money on some meme colored shake because i doubt it makes any difference. i already drink coffee before i go to the gym

> but nothing helps
Well then fuck it go to the doctor and get your shit checked.

65 yo Bosnian power lifter in my gym.
>bek always stronk
>very important keep bek strong
>strong backk!!

Dude pulled 320 in his younger day and still pulls 250kg at 65

Counting calories isn't as hard as you think it is. Provided you're eating relatively the same food every day.

I could have gained another 10 pounds of muscle my first year if I wasn't lazy.

I guess that's the whole point of this journey, is over coming weak spots and growing as individuals. I've made so much progress so far I'm really proud of myself and all you guys.

Good job bros. keep it up.

Ear more and eat real food

cheat to grow

Something along the lines of "if you're not enjoying what you're doing, perhaps it's just not for you. Find something else that you do enjoy."

Thanks Gooby

Dont fall for the SS meme. Do your workouts in waves.

First wave: Standard SS/Stronglifts, made for strength example:
Squats, Bench, Rackpulls, Rows and Deadlifts. 5x5, or change it up some days by going 8x3
Wave 2: Some minor isolation and hypertrophy work when exhausted like Dumbbellrows, Cable for chest, Lateral raises, leg press, hyperextentions, abwork, 3x12 etc...
Wave 3: Heavy negatives, cheatrows, pushpress, really swing your arms for lateral raises, cheat shruggs.
Wave 4: Do some low weight 25 rep sets, like cable rows, machine bench press, throw in drop sets if you like.

You will feel better after you leave the gym.

Training back is so fun, I've been doing rows and pull-ups 3 times a week and deadlifts twice a week
I think the back recovers the fastest out of all muscle groups after legs

So true, you should be able to bent over row at least what you can flat bench

Best advice I got was from a trainer who had Me Deload my 3pl8 deadlift to 185 and taught me to pull it from a true ass to grass squat position. Every muscle just feels better that way.

Oh and wear a belt when you OHP it helps drive a few more reps out

>spending 3 hours at the gym
Yeah no thanks

confirmed for NOT leaving humanity behind 4 sk00pz come on soN!

I hate that a lot of online articles d
say to keep your hips up but then I read this or watch part lifters on YouTube and they clearly squat down pretty low to deadlift. You still lead with your chest and all that?

Sorta this. Listen to your body was the best advice I've gotten.

If you're craving carbs, you probably need some more carbs. If you're craving salt, you probably need some more salt. If your penis is erect, you probably need ejaculation.

>inb4 cravings are fatty excuse

Lol 3x12 takes 1.5 min. per exercise.

>pulling from an ATG position
UHHHH

Well they're really two different lifts. I still go ham every now and then and pull with my hips higher cause cns adaptation and forearm gains and all that. But yeah keep your chest up it's basically just the beginning of an oly style power clean. I feel it in my abs, lats and obliques a lot more when you get real low. It gasses me faster too it's like conditioning. I might just stop doing 1x5 deads with the bar and use the hex bar for the low volume stuff and do the legit form deads for volume

>if Eddie Hall does it, why can't I????

Suggested protein intake is shilled by supplement industry
>actually ate 1g per 1lb bodyweight for years

Go watch an oly lifter do a clean if you're having trouble understandinf

Dude anyone can if you take a plate off.

Those are sub maximal pulls
youtu.be/NYN3UGCYisk

"put some water in your mouth, before shooting yourself"

>Not gonna make it

w-why?