Hey Veeky Forums I have approx 4 months off this summer and want to learn a martial art

Hey Veeky Forums I have approx 4 months off this summer and want to learn a martial art

I am 27 years old and lift but can't fight/defend myself for shit

>Can you recommend a martial art for me to start over the summer?

I'm willing to pay for classes and such and if everything goes well maybe even continue it part time when uni starts up again in the fall

What are you looking to do with the martial art? Compete? Self-Defense? Both? Just something fun? Or something else entirely?

Self defense primarily.. but I think that in two years once I'm done with school and have more free time competing would be cool too.

I also want the confidence that might come with it.

Just start what you personally find interesting and is within a decent distance to you. I wanted to learn judo but there weren't any places near me, ended up taking brazillian jiu jitsu and find it great so far.

Pretty much this. Aside from the fact that you want to learn to defend yourself, you should still go for something that actually seems fun. I decided to take up boxing a couple of years ago and it was the best decision ever. My balance as a whole improved, my coordination is better, its a fun way to implement cardio. And as a second plus, a simple boxing class is (usually) more affordable than other martial arts. A year or less of boxing will give you an advantage over 95% of the people on the street.

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't really considered boxing. This may sound dumb, but I'm also worried about being beat on the head while boxing or knocked out and having brain damage or whatever when I'm older.

Speaking of cost, how much should I expect to pay for a martial arts class per month? How many times a week would that get me? And how does boxing compare?

I live in the suburbs of a middle class area since location is probably a factor in terms of cost.

Bjj/judo/wrestiling/ any grapling gym in your area and boxing.
Boxing will push your high intensity cardio due to it's nature in training as you do lost of fast movements in your training as a beginner. (building work capacity)
Grappling will make you work hard too, you are using people as resistance to your throws and transitions,

Why dont you just google "Martial Arts classes in 'the suburbs of a middle class area'" you massive fucking faggot. How is anyone supposed to know what the academies in your area charge. You wont get knocked out if you dont spar hard like a retard, and most places wont even let you spar for a very long time.

Don't listen to this meme , just find one that sounds cool to you and go try a class.

Will bjj kill my gains if im lifting?

I would go Judo then. It's got a good physicality to it. It has a competition aspect and it requires you to spar. That's important.

KRAV

MA

GA

find all the martial arts places closest to you and go to them.

whichever place has the best instructors (read: people who compete in their martial art) and has a comfy atmosphere go with them. unless they look like a mcdojo in which case go with your second option et.c

Problem with that is how many instructors are just assholes who went through weekend certifications to add it to their McDojo

Damn, true stuff.

>boxing
>judo
>muay Thai
>jujitsu
>kyokushin
>any form of wrestling

Literally this, all you need is 1 striking art and 1 grappling art

Boxing is great for learning quickly how to hit and avoid being hit. Imo if you want to learn a traditional martial art you need a lot more time. It took me 8 years to get a black belt in taekwondo, and that meant I had the basics down. If some bozo tries to fight me I'd still box them. Or maybe kick the thigh

Here you go OP

Boxing imo, simple and effective

muay thai if you only have 4 months

I recommend judo. It practically uses every muscle in your body and is a great cardiovascular workout. It also teaches you how to fall down without looking like an ass.

if you do boxing and don't spar, there is no point in doing it, every MA carries risk of injury in one form or the other, if you go to normie boxing gym, they don't spar all out and maybe you can ask for no head shots just body shots, no harm in visiting one close and talking to trainers
I find karate fun, but I live in fucking shit tier country in middle of fucking nowhere

You aren't going to get knocked out or brain damage from sparring, just go light and communicate with your partner. I've been boxing & kickboxing for years and I've never come close to being KOed in sparring.

Yea, but it's a legit concern. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it's not within realm of posibilities.

it isnt within the realm of possibility if you have a trusted partner who you agree not to go full force on each other (which you communicate before you start sparring)

Spar with head gear, reduces the risk a lot. Also keeps your face pretty i.e cuts, black eyes. crooked nose.

Downside is you have to wear this fucking thing on your head. It's going to fill with sweat and if it's not fitting properly it can move and block your vision after you get hit

Wear headgear and spar with proper intensity and the possibility is very low. If someone is hitting too hard tell them to chill out, and if they continue then say you aren't going to spar with them anymore. It's not difficult. It's like saying you shouldn't do BJJ because someone might hold on to a submission and snap your shit up. It's possible, but not very likely.

This guide is retarded. Wrestling should be on top because it's an olympic sport with VERY high rivalry, so training is very hard.
Combat sambo is absolute shit even in Russia in the opposite reason - the rivalry is very low, alll you can learn from combat sambo is double leg shot and boxer's double (don't know correct translation from russian).
I have a friend who doing grappling in very good club, and he says that the most hard opponents are greco-roman and freestyle wreslers. He had sparrings with usual and combat samboists and he submitted them easily.

Westerners tend to romanticise sambo due to muh Fyodor.

Boxing.

Yes. Making gains is tough while grappling imo

Studies show that headgear actually increases risk of injury

>Muay Thai
If you can squat over 190 and bench over 115, you'll do good. Cardio intense.
>boxing
I don't need to explain
>Karate
More of a philosophy, not the best in a street fight.
>Judo
It's grappling, not ideal for street fights.

>Jujitsu my dude

It's a philosophy of using the enemy's power against them, its strikes, grappling, and discipline, not to mention it teaches you how to take a fall, roll, and get back up quickly.

>Within first month learned how to break a wrist, arm, and penis.

Best part is it doesnt require you being in peak physical condition, in fact the more muscle you have the more effective jujitsu will be against you.

>grappling
>not ideal for street fights

opinion discarded

Lol you probably won't get past white belt in just 4 months. Martial arts like years to master, you don't learn it "over the summer". Do it right or you'll just be wasting time

judo is actually pretty good at street fights trips and simple throws on concrete is enough to fuck put people down for good

jiu jutsu on the other hand is pretty risky compared to judo

Sipalki, very good not sporty or fair play in any way, fingers in eyes, testicles punches, throat,self defense, weapons, 1 on 1, 1 on many, bretty good

>grappling not ideal for street fights

what?

I just want to come out some nights and mildly beat up random people. And run. What´s the best martial art for this ?

If you can find it
>Sambo
It's basically Russian MMA; there's a place in my city that teaches it, but it's expensive as fuck, and the place is in a part of the city that's hard to get to with public transpo, so I'm saving up for a car so I can start attending classes there

Otherwise
If you wanna hit shit:
>Muay Thai
>boxing
>Kyokushin Karate, or Kudo Daidojuku, which is like Karate MMA

If you wanna grapple shit:
>catch wrestling
>BJJ
>judo

Anything else is kind of a waste of time

how about when you go grapple on the ground and someone comes and kicks you in the head.

>b-b-but I wont be able to kill 10 people like steven seagal after 4 months of training, why bother?

Someone can come behind you and choke you while youre boxing your opponent, whats your point? Dont get in a protracted fight with multiple attackers, defend yourself and escape.