Squats and deadlifts are shit

Squats and deadlifts are shit

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You are a small, weak faggot

Discuss

They're dangerous and mostly unnecessary yes. But they aren't completely shit.

>spend your whole life doing squats and deads
>build huge numbers
>still look dyel as fuck
>have to tell others that you lift
>nobody ever notices nor believes you do
>some people play along to not hurt your feelings
>you got obese drinking a gallon of milk a day
this is you

> thinking you can only do squats and deadlifts while doing SS
> not including squats and deadlifts as part of a healthy, balanced bodybuilding diet

youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw

Fuck you

Agreeable if you're not into having stronk legs, a tight core, and a tight ass

whatever you say le hip replacement surgery man

But..you can get all of that without ever squatting a day in your life.

Who is this faggot?

I don't agree. They train multiple muscles at the same time, so they're effective. They also allow you to put a lot of weight on the bar, which causes faster muscle growth. Since they're training a lot of muscles (although admittedly some more than others), they're also pretty time efficient. Because of this, people who can't lift due to time restraints can, and people who want to add in isolations now have more time to do so. The form is relatively easy to learn; the one downside is that you need a camera to really nail it. Another con is that if you don't have good form, the potential injuries can be worse than that of an isolation.

I also think that motivation is a factor. Moving into anecdotes here, I always feel like a badass when I squat a relatively heavy weight. I also feel satisfied when I hit a new PR, and that feeling lasts for the rest of my session. Yesterday I was thinking of skipping my arm work because I thought "I feel like shit, I can't do this", but then I hit a pr on squat, and decided that I CAN do this. Was able to get through my whole workout, despite not walking in there thinking I would.

Focusing on just deadlift for a second, higher deadlift also forces you to get a stronger grip, which can help in day to day life. It also helps to be able to pick heavy shit up off the ground. It's nice to be able to look at something, and think "that's less than half my deadlift weight. I can safely pick that up" or think "that's more than what I deadlift. I should ask for help".

Anyway, those are my arguments for deads and squats being good. Rebuttles?

More weight on the bar? Yes
Higher chance for injury? Double yes.

Squatting and Deadlifting heavy is all about ego lifting. It has nothing to do with making you healthier, fitter, or look better.

>Rebuttles
Yeah I snapped my knee squatting 275lb.
I have to deal with this injury practically every single day. Riding a bike, playing sports, sitting down.

Meme'd by Mark Rippletits.

More weight on the bar also makes you muscles grow more though. And if your form is good, that shouldn't be an issue. If you're lifting enough to seriously cause issue, your form will start to break down. If that happens, you should drop the bar onto the safeties and deload.

Also, whether it's ego lifting is up to the person. Deloads are pretty common; I'd argue that deloads wouldn't exist if people were only chasing higher weights.

And ironically, I got way better looking after I was forced to cease squatting. I just focused on upper body and brosplits.

Look, relatively heavy weight with a certain movement does not mean that relatively heavy weight with another movement will not illicit the same growth response.

You simply like squatting because big numbers woohoo.

Squatting is supposed to help you the lifter. Not be the reason that you lift.
Something that helps you get somewhere, not the destination in and of itself.

>i squatted wrong and fucked my shit up so squatting is literally hitler

Squatting with correct form puts almost no stress on the knees, and will actually rehab knee injuries. You don't get to do something wrong then complain that it sucks.

>tom platz
>a balanced physique
>bodybuilding
>healthy
I get what you were trying to say man but you need better examples

At the time I thought I was doing it right.

Whether that's the case, doesn't matter. Why do an exercise that is so unforgiving on form and has a greater potential for injury. It's a terrible risk-reward tradeoff.

I wouldn't necessarily advise against squatting light weight (less than 2 plates) in moderation. But linear progression for a beginner following SS is irresponsible.

What kind of split?

To me it sounds like you loaded up the bar more than you could comfortably handle, and had a form breakdown. If we're descending further into anecdote territory, I had a leg injury when I was in my mid teens which cased me to limp slightly. My friends used to make jokes that if I was ever fleeing a crime scene, they'd know who it was. Squatting didn't really help, until I dropped the weight down to noob levels and focused on getting the best form possible. I can now walk completely normally, and my limp is entirely gone. Squats can definitely be used to rehab injuries.

You keep focusing on the big numbers, but that wasn't the only point in my original argument. Regardless, you're barking up the wrong tree. My 5rm is currently less than 2pl8; I stopped and deloaded quite significantly and I'm not focusing primarily on form. Feels amazing.

As for the growth response, true, but squats and deadlifts both train a lot of muscles at the same time. You'd have to do multiple isolations to match it. Compoud lifts are a pretty handy tool to have.

>Squatting is supposed to help you the lifter. Not be the reason that you lift.
Something that helps you get somewhere, not the destination in and of itself.

That's definitely true, and at no point did I say it was the goal in itself, barring powerlifters. But it's still a very handy tool, and I think that it's definitely not "shit", like the OP post claimed.

I don't really adhere to any split anymore. I've been doing this:

A:
Bench 4x10
Chinups 4x10
DB press 4x12
DB curl 4x12
Leg extension 3x16

B:
OHP 4x10
Pullups 4x10
Deadlift 3x5 (pretty light weight and avoids going too deep where my knee is fucked)
Lat raise 4x16
Leg extension 3x16

Alternate between ABA and BAB weeks. I keep the weights light because I do sports and cardio almost every day.

the first post is indubitably the best post, as usual

Looks like you've made an error here let me help you. This is the first post and it's indeed the best post.

Have a nice day!

that's if you can squat below parallel without fucking up your spine and it's questionable at best what it does to your cartilage and meniscus

Agreed. Pretty sure going below parallel pinches the meniscus and causes tears.

>Squats and deadlifts are shit
Thats a ridiculous statement
I wish i could do squats, but i have an injury that makes them dangeous for me to do, im actually angry that someone that can do them dont, i would kill to be abel to squat again....

>OP clicks on the submit button
>looks out of the window
>pic related

>I got seriously injured on squats
>were you using proper form
>m-maybe, but it doesn't matter
>Waaaah why is the movement so unforgiving to people who don't do it right

monkey brothers in the thumbnail
bunch of ignorant half niggers smacking their lips on youtube for welfare money

yeah cuz arnold never squated or deadlifted, right?

i like deadlifts a lot and get good results out of them, so i do them

i dislike squats a lot and don't get great results out of them, so i no longer do them

wow, that was really difficult

fwiw i'm not a pro athlete, i don't care about competing in powerlifting, and i find one or the other to be more than enough to maintain big strong legs (then again I'm on my way to a 6pl8 pull so ymmv)

Train like you want. Just be sure you do a proper form with every lifting style you do, train like you want but don't injure you.

Ass to grass is a meme anyways

and they're bigger than you

Deadlifts are great, but squats are fucking useless unless you want to have those retarded looking huge quads

I agree, quads are the least aesthetic muscle there is, only rivaled by obliques

Yeah thick legs and a meaty back sure look dyel