Feel more comfy doing sumo

>feel more comfy doing sumo
>sumo is cheating

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/
elitefts.com/education/training/choosing-conventional-or-sumo-based-on-your-bone-structure/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Except it isn't
strongerbyscience.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/

>There are no factors that make either the conventional or the sumo deadlift inherently easier or harder. It’s more a matter of individual strengths and weaknesses.

Go ahead and sumo deadlift as much as you want

but Veeky Forums always says it's for women and dyels and cheaters

Veeky Forums is full of self hating fat fucks and dyels too stupid to browse /r/bodybuilding

Dan Green can pull nearly 900lbs sumo, wouldn't consider him a cheater. All about preference in the end, like high bar versus low bar.

>moving the bar two inches vs two feet

it doesn't feel more comfy in the sense that it is easier but that it feels better on my back

i pull the same weight on both lifts

I hope so

will do both for a bit and see whath appens

>broscience propogated on a transnistrian throat sining discussion forum is more reliable than actual science

This is in the article I linked to in>Most maximal deadlifts take 5 seconds or less to complete. Even the grindiest deadlift is usually locked out within 10 seconds. Your muscles have enough stored ATP and phosphocreatine to ensure that maximal outputs lasting shorter than 8-10 seconds won’t be limited by energy production. The difference in mechanical work would likely make a difference in a deadlift-for-reps challenge, but not when talking about a 1rm attempt. In other words, stance width influences the ability to, say, deadlift 405 for 40 reps in under a minute, but not necessarily the maximum amount of weight someone can lift (in a general sense, though one variation will likely be stronger for you than the other).
>It’s important to keep in mind that you don’t miss a lift because you were too weak through the entire range of motion. You miss a lift because you were too weak through your very weakest part of the movement. In other words, the critical range of motion that determines whether you make or miss a lift is similarly tiny for a lift with a long range of motion, and a lift with a short range of motion.

>There are no factors that make either the conventional or the sumo deadlift inherently easier or harder.
>No factors
>Reducing range of motion by 75%

see

it probably uses less glutes (when you are coming out of the bottom and it's almost like a squat) but about the same recruitment for lowerback/hamstrings ?

>though one variation will likely be stronger for you than the other
implies that
you do in fact use different muscles, the main ones are probably just used about as much.

perhaps part of it also has to do with how your specific body structure but i (person who has no knowledge in any of this) would assume that's probably minimal

Do semi-sumo.
Still as comfortable, longer range of motion, more gains, less cheating.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is
Are you saying that the fact that people will be stronger with one or the other implies that different muscles are used? If so:
1. I have no idea how you reached that conclusion, it seems pretty illogical to me
2. Yes, different muscles are used, but since everyone has the same muscles this does not explain why some people are naturally stronger with one or the other variation
3. The fact that people are naturally stronger with either variation implies that it's dependent on skeleton structure and leverages, which is what the article I have linked to says

If I misinterpreted your argument, then please clarify

here's my train of thought, they are somewhat different movements so they will not use the exact same muscles. So say, each uses different synergist muscles or uses them to different extent or whatever. Now each person isnt exactly the same either, so some people will have certain muscles more developed than others, making it easier for some people to do one lift and for other people to do the other lift.

But im just some random on a transnistrian throat sining discussion forum who didnt bother to read the article

>lol guise reducing the range of motion by a significant amount totes doesn't affect the lift and why only women and fat asses and nu males do it

>some people will have certain muscles more developed than others
So you're talking about how advanced certain muscles are? Well yes, some people can be stronger with one of the variations because have stronger muscles that benefit either variation:
Stronger posterior chain=stronger at conventional
Stronger quads=stronger at sumo

However, this is a matter of how strong someone has trained themselves to be, not what their skeleton structure and leverages would make them stronger at, and sometimes structure and leverages make more of a difference than strength

Take Candito for example, he trained and competed with a conventional stance for years, before he suddenly discovered on a random gym session, that he was stronger with sumo

>But im just some random on a transnistrian throat sining discussion forum who didnt bother to read the article
You should

Do I really have to link you again to the same post I tried to link you to in the post you replied to? Fuck me, this is getting meta.

im not the guy you replied to

>Yes, different muscles are used, but since everyone has the same muscles this does not explain why some people are naturally stronger with one or the other variation
sumo uses more quads, so someone who has relatively strong quads is at an advantage.
it's not just morphology and leverages.

i don't think it matters much, unless your compare extremes.
also, i think semi-sumo is the best way to start people out for general strength training.

See
You can make certain muscles stronger, but you can't make your arms or legs any longer or shorter
Also, read the article

oh, i've read most of nuckols stuff.

sure, you can make muscle stronger, but people how much they will grow still depends on the person.
e.g. some people's quads grow much more easily than their hamstrings or ass or whatever.

i agree that this isn't the case for most people, but it does happen.

also, whether someone likes sumo or conventional depends on a number of factors including, but not limited to, morphology and leverages.

>how much they will grow still depends on the person

can you explain this to me? why do some muscles grow easier than others?

my chest is the flattest and my calves are huge, pls explain

>he wants to feel "comfy" while lifting

never gonna make it

i agree that this isn't the case for most people, but it does happen.
Maybe, but they can still, to some degree make them stronger. Your morphology however, you can basically no control over

>also, whether someone likes sumo or conventional depends on a number of factors including, but not limited to, morphology and leverages.
Yes, I don't really think we're disagreeing but what I'm trying to say is that if you took an untrained individual with long arms and short legs, they would be better at conventional, and if you took an untrained individual with short arms and long legs, they would be better at sumo

assuming you train both roughly equally:

mostly genetics.

could also be that you can engage certain muscles better for whatever reason.
you could try working on that.
e.g. try to engage your chest more on bench press, instead of relying on your front delts and triceps.

>Maybe, but they can still, to some degree make them stronger. Your morphology however, you can basically no control over
yup, i agree.

>Yes, I don't really think we're disagreeing but what I'm trying to say is that if you took an untrained individual with long arms and short legs, they would be better at conventional, and if you took an untrained individual with short arms and long legs, they would be better at sumo
That makes sense, but I don't think it's correct.
Almost all untrained people are better at conventional because it's a more natural movement (compared to full sumo, not compared to semi-sumo).
That aside, I still don't think it's correct.
I remember Mike Tuscherer say that he tried fitting some sort of formula to lifter's dimensions whether they should do sumo or conventional, and he found that it was more or less random.
So he resorted to just telling all his lifters to just try and see what works best.

I think hip morphology has a big impact on comfortability, where semi-sumo allows a position that's comfortable for the most people.

>he tried fitting some sort of formula to lifter's dimensions whether they should do sumo or conventional, and he found that it was more or less random.
Well when I was saying that people with long arms do better at conventional and people with short arms doing better at sumo, I was basing my statement on this article (should have probably linked it in the first place, sorry): elitefts.com/education/training/choosing-conventional-or-sumo-based-on-your-bone-structure/

I the end though, that we're both saying that ''it varies from person to person'' and in what ways it varies from person to person, is another matter

yeah, i've seen articles like that before.
while they make sense, they're just not correct.
if you look at the source the article mentions, it doesn't use actual data of strong lifters and their limb lengths.

Mike T has found in practice that it doesn't work like that.

I'd hate to be ''that guy'' but do you have an actual source for that?

I don't remember where I heard or read Mike T say that, but I'm sure if you websearch something like "mike tuscherer conventional sumo formula limb proportions" you'll find it.