/ss/ general

/ss/ general

Post your questions about the program

How do I keep balance on my squats and stop from leaning my chest out? I go down well but often struggle coming up, and it turns into a semi-Good Morning.

I don't like milk. Is eating a pound of cheese an acceptable substitute for gomad?

POCAD is perfectly acceptable

Keep your back tight, and pull the barbell into your back. Imagine the lift is in two directions, you're pushing your back against the barbell and you're pushing the floor away from you.

Usually it's not too much, a little back angle change is needed to properly use hip drive, you should post a video, otherwise just think about leading with your chest when coming up

Alright. Is it better to power through the upward movement, or is a slower approach better?

Just push, no need to think about it

Generally just trying to do any kind of weighted movement as fast as possible will make you better at doing that movement faster.

Will it help me look like thisv

I'm just trying to correct my form. About a month and a half ago I tweaked my neck because I was craning it during a squat, and I want to make sure my form is golden so that I can avoid it.

I'm trying to lose weight and I gained a lb after a week and eating around 2200. Am I calculate my calories wrong or is this normal for a couple weeks and then I'll see my weight drop ?

Record yourself with your phone, don't look in the mirror during any sets.

No, you would need HRT and a boobjob for that

Look down, also the best thing you can do is post a video

Always weight yourself at the same time every day, otherwise yeah, you are counting wrong

Can I open this up to us SL fags too? I'm a couple months in. I do chinups and curls as accessories every workout. Wondering if I'm overtraining my 'ceps. Should I alternate these?

Why is Arnold's G6 never mentioned on this site? Always SS

It doesn't matter, you are not going to overtrain because of some curls, especially early in the program

It's not optimal

I'll try to get a video recorded this Monday.

You're in no way coordinated or strong enough to overtrain yourself. Just lift, man.

I'm female and have good fat distribution
Just no muscle

I want big quads and a big butt, but not so big hamstrings so my butt sticks out

Is SS okay?

SS is perfect for that, and you can also add hip thrusts

I was doing the program but I fucked up my shoulder doing bench (I think I was flaring my elbows or something). What other exercises can I substitute for the upper body so I don't fuck myself up more?

Correctly performed bench press

is GOCMAD a suitable replacement for GOMAD?

gallon of chocolate milk a day

I am either able nor inclined to do power cleans when I get to that section, should I just do more deadlifts?

Even better

Some back extensions and after that do three sets of chins to failure

How the hell do people still screw up the program? Are most people simply retarded?

Is there any real advantage to SS over PPL besides more squatting and simplicity/time constraints? I'm two weeks into PPL and enjoy being in the gym every day, but I'm feeling a little gassed and worried that it's too much volume

Is there a reason I can't just keep deadlifting though

How much do I need to weigh in order to be HARD to KILL

Because your deadlifts get to a point even before you plateau that it's difficult for your body to recover from them in one day.

If you keep doing deads 3x a week you won't make good gains and could end up injured

Besides, power cleans are fun as hell and you feel like a beast during and after.

Why wouldn't you want to?

As a beginner SS will give you better progress

Because eventually they become so heavy that you need more time to recover between them, with power cleans you still get to pull without using very heavy weight

An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds, aim for that

lol

I'm doing the blog post version from the sticky with added chinups, dips and pendlay rows in place of cleanNjerks. How long should I do this for before hopping on a more bodybuilding oriented routine? Until I bench a certain amount or something? What would be ideal?

Until you stop being able to add weight to the bar every workout, also you should read the actual book, lots of information in there

if you do PPL (roughly) twice a week, the difference in progress will be negligible.

switch programs when you stop progressing.

When you plateau and can't increase the lifts any longer. It will be individual, and dependent on how much food you're willing to put away.

1/2/3/4pl8 is an ok benchmark but I surpassed all of those except deadlift on SS.

Stats? Also how long did it take to surpass 1/2/3/4 and what increments did you use?

My gym doesnt have a good place for them, im not sure they arent allowed but it would be really awkward and annoy a lot of other people if i could even find space to do them. That and when ive done them in other settings ive hated them.

Try and get as close to 1/2/3/4 as you can on linear gains.
Eventually you may need to switch to an early intermediate program like Texas method, though canditos U/L linear program might be good to switch to if you do the power/hypertrophy format

shit advice

don't worry about hitting arbitrary stats, just switch when you stop progressing

Finished with 162.5kg squat, 170kg dead, 72.5kg ohp, 120kg squat. I also added chins and dips as accessories.

Increase with 5kg until it became too much then 2.5kg per lift (as a total additional weight). If you're skinny eat like a pig (SRS), I finished with a relatively high bf of 25% so I cut for 12weeks before moving into TM.

If you're willing to ignore the mirror somewhat you will put on some serious fucking muscle and progression. But even if you want to maintain less bf, a little under my number's are not unremarkable.

Oh and it will get fucking tough, you will hate every single workout because of how hard it gets, but there is no faster way of getting strong this quickly without using SS/sl or similar.

I did this for a little under a year. I spent a lot of the starter months learning form and teaching myself the importance of calories.

>120 squat.

That is meant to say bench press. Sorry I'm baked.

Great progress mas, did you use triples or back off sets nearing the end of the program or did you just keep it basic?
Also can you post progress pics?

How do I stop pic related from happening to me?

Also,

I've been working out on and off with Jason Blaha's ICF, but I don't like it! Will I benefit from SS?

Yes, get on SS as soon as possible and read that book

For pic related just do SS + GOMAD

I used back off sets when I was cutting. When deciding to shed fat off at the end of the programme you want to keep the Weight on the bar as high as possible, reducing the volume a bit helps maintain that. When you refeed after your cut you'll be back to where you were in a couple of weeks. I probably couldve squeezed out more on triples but I needed a routine shakeup. Plus finally being able to add proper accessorie work through TM felt great.

I don't have any to hand.

wont i be too tired to do hip thrusts after doing it?

Eventually yes, but the first couple of weeks you can fuck around with other stuff, while you hopefully read the book

After cutting were you satisfied with how you looked ? Have you a photo of yourself at that time ? Or one of someone else with similar result ?

I know that this is strength training but I'm curious

When to go to phase 3

If you are doing alternating cleans and deads regularly then you probably don't need to switch at all. This should last quite a while. As your deadlifts get too heavy to train every other workout then workout A alternates between Deads/Cleans while workout B goes to Chins

I have already modified it. My diet was killing my lifts for awhile. Think i was cutting to hard and have added 500 cals and feel much better/stronger now. Wasn't sure if restart 2nd phase or move on. It's not the deads that kill. It's the dead lift and squat combo that kills. Gonna start bulk in couple weeks what's the move?

Will the hip abductor machine help with my squat form? I get mad knee pain when I go past 185, pretty pathetic considering my bench is at 265 for reps. Im 5'11 175lb, hoping to get 3 plates by july

I FELL FOR THE SS MEME