Daily reminder that your hypertrophy range is crap

Daily reminder that your hypertrophy range is crap

Strength is what leads to muscle growth. You gain strength faster with lower reps. Lower reps= more growth.

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/
youtube.com/watch?v=a7_pby_zYD4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

muscle growth aka creating new muscle tissue is not the same as muscle hypertrophy

thanks alot

>more growth
>lower reps

Pick one and only one.

No problem

Post body

>6-7

>tfw your going for 5 reps but you pump out one more and you make no gains

what a retarded article, jesus christ. Was this written by a high school student?

>strength=size
You're wrong. Low reps cause increased strength mainly through neurological gains. That's why beginners are told to start on 3x5/5x5, because the neurological gains are the most important for them.
For hypertrophy, you need higher volume.

strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

Provide some proof please, studies suggest otherwise.

NOT FIT RELATED NOW FUCK OFF

This.

Rep ranges don't matter. Volume does.
(Volume= # of sets)
Sets have to be going to near failure no matter the weight of course

This picture is all you need to BTFO muh strength retards

Candito does all rep ranges, although he does generally do stength.

Yeah, because I'm sure klokov does 3x12 for his gains

CBA to read the article, sorry, but I had a look through the list of studies, which is actually laid out reasonably well.

But they mostly seem to be comparing low (strength) reps with high (endurance) reps. I was taught that medium reps around 8-12 are generally best for hypertrophy - and volume. Where the studies compare low reps to medium reps with similar total volume, the differences are not significant.

Regarding high reps like 20+, of course they're not going to improve muscle girth because they improve slow twitch muscle fibres, which are smaller than fast twitch fibres.

youtube.com/watch?v=a7_pby_zYD4

he looks really good for a natty. too bad he has shit chest genetics

klokov does BB work on the side. no matter what you believe, you can't look like that only lifting for strength. i've met him in person and his forearms and arms are as big as normal peoples legs.

Physical therapist here. I'll try to explain.

First thing first, disregard bodybuilders who say they got big by working in the higher rep ranges. They use steroids. Any time they look at a barbell, they grow.

You must realize that two types of main muscle fibers exist, type 1 and 2. (2b also exists, but are irrelevant). Type 1 fibers are slow twitch, they are used for long distance running an high rep (15+) lifting. Type 2 are explosive fast twitch fibers. These are used for sprints and low rep work (1-12 reps). Fast twitch muscles have huge potential for growth. From 1-12 reps, as long as you are pushing intense amounts of weight, your muscles will grow the same amount. Once you get into the higher rep ranges, you start to lose growth, because these fast twitch fibers are no longer stimulated. This is why people who use Low reps get big (klokov, powerlifters) and people who use medium reps get big (any gym bro).

Lower reps do get you stronger however. Medium reps will also get you stronger. What's more important is that you add weight each session, so you make linear growth.

OP here. This is a really good discussion. Keep it going. I want to hear all sides.

Fit needs more content like this.

you claim to be PT yet you claim you can chose which muscle fibers to train. all of them work regardless of what type of lifting you do. it's not like type 1s are inactive until you hit certain number of reps.

Type 1s are always active, that is correct. But if you do light weight, your body will not activate type 2s because it simply doesn't have to

That's fair, it's pretty long. Just have a look at the bit with the blue rectangles and the part underneath, it sums up the article fairly nicely. That and the 'takeaways' section at the end which basically says to do a variety of rep ranges/what works best for you.

There are comparisons between mid and low rep ranges in there and they show little to no difference, as you say.

Alpha destiny preaches low rep compounds, and even tho he's a manlet, you gotta admit he has a nicely developed physique.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you train with intensity, rep ranges don't matter.