Is there anything wrong with using machines?

is there anything wrong with using machines?

yer gay

I don't think so.

I stopped squating and started using the leg-up machine whatever it's called so that I don't ruin my back.

I also started pulling the two-string thing instead of benching, and the pull down hammer thing instead of doing military press.

The swolest brows in my gym use these things, so I do too.

It's usually the younger dudes that use the bars for squatting, and military. But they all deadlift.

limited use of your muscles, since you're not using muscles that help you balance the weights

Depends what it's used for. As a rule, anything you can do free weight (dumbells, barbells, squats, DL, bench, etc.) will net you more benefit as a free weight, since you have to control it without any form of support. I use machines sparingly for accessory work, like cable flies, lat pull downs, horizontal rows (?), and beginning movement for curls.

If you do only machines, you aren't going to get as good a transfer to free weight as it would be vice versa. You might be able to squat 2pl8 on the Smith, but 2pl8 on freeweight might be harder.

>I don't think so
>proceeds to not being able to name a single piece of equipment
Forgive me for doubting whether anything you said has any credibility at all

No. The only disadvantage is as others have stated, you arent using as many different muscles as if you were doing the same workout with free weights. But as long as you throw some accessory workouts in you will be fine

I prefer free weight because it translates to more functional strength, instead of just 1 strict movement your body moves around

they're great for rehab and remedial work, these people need machines

they're OK for people who dgaf about athletic performance and just want aesthetics or the aged and mildly infirm who just want general health benefits, these people would get better results from free weights but don't care

>>>>>fugtional strebgth

>finish incline db sets
>go to try op pic related style chest press for shits and giggles
>easily max it out for 8 reps
>Veeky Forums would consider me dyel and i'm on a cut

so this... is the power of machines......

>free weights somehow make you more athletic

machines are good for
>absolute beginners
>old people
>injured people
>bodybuilders

You are so full of fucking shit. I use free weights, and the couple of times I went and used machines, my lifts were a little higher, but not ridiculously so like you autists claim.

Fuck off

Basis of your routine should be free weights, but machines for accessories are fine. Some of them might rekt your shit though, like pec decks destroying shoulders.

So since I'm an absolute beginner compared to pros, I'm getting older and I want to keep doing this fitness thing for a while, I acquire microtrauma and joint damage by lifting and I'm mainly aiming to look good, I should use machines.

Got you.

Your ubset

Compound lifts -> Other free weight exercises -> Machines.

Machines are fine, just make sure its extra, and not the focus.

how is atg squatting or benhc pressing '''''functional''''?

are you a farmer or work in construction?

This.

Machines have their place, as they are designed for pure isolation of muscles, but freeweights will translate to better gains, balance, and functional strength.
The one advantage machines do have is that they can provide constant resistance through the entire movement.
Use both, but base your workouts around freeweights.

I'd switch my entire program to machines if I my gym had machines that maxed out at higher weights and were well kept.

Cable rows are superior to any other type of rowing. Lat pulldowns are healthier than pullups.

Shoulder press machines I would generally avoid. But you can train shoulders with cables probably better than you can by pressing. Probably chest press machines should be skipped too as they will almost never fit your body mechanics (unless they're state of the art).

Never had your car break down? Had to carry a girl from a club whose feet hurt? Move furniture around? Carry shopping home?
Maybe if you just sit at home all day it's not very useful, but for everyone else...

>my feet hurt
>please squat me home, user-san :3
Daily, mang.

I prefer machines because you don't need a spotter and I'm an autismo

THIS

squatting 500lbs is no different than squatting 200lbs when fixing your fucking car

just stop with le 'functional strength' meme

just STOP

>he's never squatted his gf home
Never going to make it

>his gf
Wasted them trips, nigga

>less than 2 hours ago left the gym
>while there finished doing incline db with highest set at 42kg x 8
>went to machine already fatigued and still worked up to 120kg x 8 without too much effort, which is the full stack
>come back and an user on Veeky Forums tells me i'm full of shit

hmm

Hang on, who said anything about squatting 500lbs? We are talking about squatting vs NOT squatting, the former providing you with a strong core that will help you if you do other shit aside from sitting at your fucking computer.

what does the hip adductor vagina machine help with? I heard it helps with ass and thrusting but I need to hear it from you

>Never had your car break down?

What does lifting have to do with this?

>Had to carry a girl from a club whose feet hurt?

This shit only happens in your fantasies

>Move furniture around?
>Carry shopping home?

You dont have to be very strong for this....

You're fucking retarded..

Not squatting is not the same as doing no core work at all. Are you implying core work is impossible without compounds? In my experience the tards mindlessly regurgitating The Gospel According to Rippetoe are more likely than anyone to neglect their core.

>What does lifting have to do with this?
So you can push it out of the road.
>This shit only happens in your fantasies
Stop projecting. This is not an unremarkable thing to happen, the fact that you think it is says more about you than it does about me.
>You dont have to be very strong for this....
No one ever pulled a muscle in their back from moving heavy furniture around, right?

You should deadlift your car and farmers walk it home, obviously

Free weights engage more muscle groups and improve your balance.

>No one ever pulled a muscle in their back from moving heavy furniture around, right?
I feel like idiots like you are more likely than anyone to do this because you probably vastly overestimate your own strength

>hurr I can squat 3pl8
>bet I can lift this entire wardrobe using nothing but my lower back

Yep, which is why klokov is in fact now representing Russia in the rhythmic gymnastics

Oh wait

I can barely lift fuck all mate, I work in retail and have noticed a massive difference in my ability to lift heavy boxes of shit since I've started squatting though. Dunno why you're throwing so many insults around.

No. Should they replace equivalent freeweighted movements? no, but there are some things that are literally impossible to do without a machine.

>I can barely lift fuck all mate
It's one thing to say something works (no one's debating whether compounds are good) but to use your limited experience to imply that's the only way you get
>functional strength
is just perpetuating a meme which needs to fucking die.

only time my compound lifts were '''''''''''functional'''''''''' was when i overhead pressed my little cousin in the pool to throw him around

whole family was mirin

>So you can push it out of the road.

Holy fucking shit. You are usually going to need help to push your car around much, unless you gave an itty bitty vehicle. So again you dont need a whole lot of strength for that.

>Stop projecting. This is not an unremarkable thing to happen, the fact that you think it is says more about you than it does about me.

Pretty obvious this is just your fantasies. This shit is not common at all. I dont know why you wouldnt be driving a gorl you meet back to your place.

>No one ever pulled a muscle in their back from moving heavy furniture around, right?

No. Because if its that heavy again you should have help.

>tfw gf weighs about 20 pounds more than me
>tfw can squat her for like 9 reps and she gets super impressed when I do
>>>>>>can't bench her

Pros and cons my nigs

How does that happen? Is she really fat or are you pretty short?

I'm 100lbs heavier than my girlfriend and I love the feeling of almost breaking her in half.

Machines are great if you're a bodybuilder.

If you're an athlete or powerlifter, not so much.

doesn't seem like english is his first language

Functional strength is important for athletes. I am a wrestler and I couldn't get out of a lock, such as pic related, if I didnt get some functional strength from free weights.

I'm just saying that these exercises are useful when it comes to doing these kind of things, helps to lower risk of pulling muscles...

And I live in London, we don't tend to drive back home at 5am after being in a club all night, wtf.

>people in london dont drive home

What? Is everyone in London just too poor?

Of course they make you more athletic since you use more muscle groups for free weight exercises because you have to balance the weight rather than pull a lever or a cord really hard while sitting down. Athletics requires coordination which the former gives, the latter doesn't.

Nobody drives home from a club in London. Taxi if you're in a rush, everyone else uses the underground/night buses, just like in any other big city...