Have you guys seen this documentary? So far it the message is "Your fat because of the food industry"

Have you guys seen this documentary? So far it the message is "Your fat because of the food industry"

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763407000589
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2002.66/full
journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/2001/11160/Excessive_sugar_intake_alters_binding_to_dopamine.35.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I liked it, it has many valid points and the food industry is naturally interested in having people addicted to their products. If a child grows up eating shit it really isn't entirely their fault. However saying "it's not your fault" is wrong and might just be an excuse for fat fucks, if they stopped being gullible and stupid obesity wouldn't be such a huge problem.

/thread

holy shit how groundbreaking! you mean shit food makes you fat?

The American food industry is truly shit. Its like the country learned nothing from The Jungle.

When we import US products to the UK we often place our own labels on them for nutrition because we actually really pay attention to that.

In the US it feels as if cardio/exercise is seen as something for rich peopleor the upper middle class, and caring about food quality is the zone of the hipster.

user if you ate shit you would die

We're talking about junk food

> In the US it feels as if cardio/exercise is seen as something for rich peopleor the upper middle class, and caring about food quality is the zone of the hipster.

unironically almost the case

the 'urban professional' set favors cardio, marathons, that sort of thing and eating shit from stores like whole foods

lifting heavy is viewed as more of a blue collar kind of thing

Of course it's not your fault goy, it's all the food industry's fault. Nooo, of course your choices don't matter. You can just keep eating those supersize burger meals and putting the blame for your obesity on the company that sold it to you only because you offered them money for it.

Haven't seen the movie bur getting fit has opened my eyes to the amount of shit in daily diets.

I know it's mom science but if I can't spell/pronounce the ingredients I don't want to eat it. It's a combination of predatory advertising, the race to the bottom on pricing and general nuritiomal ignorance.

Very few people raise their kids telling them that the following things are bad for you health:

>soda
>fruit juices with sweeteners
>almost all breads
>most pastas
>white rice
>fluoridated water
>foods fried in oils
>high salt foods
>common cereal brands

Literally 75% of American grocery stores are filled with unhealthy food

Chad eats junk food all the time though. I know because Stacie complains about the crumbs when she's on her back

There's a difference between viewing a problem on an individual level and on a societal level.
If you take any given fat individual, then yes, for all intents and purposes, their problem is 100% in their power to resolve, any broad issue that may have played into them getting there is irrelevant.
But on a wider societal level, you're dreaming if you think millions and millions of people all fucked up at the same point in history and coincidentally got themselves fat. There is a lot that has happened on a wide scale to result in the obesity epidemic, and there's a lot that could and should be done to reverse it.

(PS, haven't seen the documentary, I'm just talking in general).

You're pretty ignorant about this if you don't mind me saying. It's not some crazy conspiracy that a large abundance of food combined with the rise of the Internet made lazy, stupid people fat en masse (get it). The difference is now the individual has to actively choose to move around and exercise. Before that was just incidental in life and before that it was a necessity.

Society is nothing more than a collection of individuals, and to look at decision making at a societal level is to look at a series of decisions made on an individual level.

What are some good health / food documentaries?

Microeconomics and macroeconomics are separated for a reason even though if you reduce it to math they're very similar. Some people being obese is not a problem but one third is a huge problem, it's crucial to look at the bigger picture.

Everything about this man.

That is true, but in no way does it mean that the responsibility for _anyone's_ obesity is on anyone but the obese individual.

The fuck, I'm not saying it's a conspiracy theory, I'm saying it's a broad social problem.
The very issues you just stated are broad social factors that result in a certain amount and type of people getting fat, while some people are exposed to the same factors while being fine. Just like free love brought in boat loads of STDs, so now we hand out condoms like candy and traumatise high school children with photos of infected genitals, to introduce new factors that circumvent the damage that was going on.

Good thing that's exactly what I () said.

>all intents and purposes
>not all intensive purposes

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Most documentaries focus on stuff you should know anyway, like fast food being bad, excessive added sugars/sodium/fat being bad and whole plants being good. You can just watch speeches/classes some popular doctors/nutritionists give live Dr. Gregor/McDougall/Bergman etc.. But keep in mind those usually recommend a certain diet and are biased towards that. Still worth watching.

Scrolled through my youtube history a bit and found a few decent ones.
We Are What We Eat: The Food Documentary
Old Before My Time: Obesity Documentary
Fast Food Babies - BBC Three Documentary
The Truth About Sugar - BBC Documentary
BBC : Food on the Brain ● BBC Documentary Films [Food, Lifestyle]
CarbLoaded: A Culture Dying to Eat
Processed Food Documentary - Processed Food vs. Nutritional Needs
Food Choices 2016 Documentary

Kek, been a while

U dun need to let other anons know what other posts are yours. This is an anonymous yak shaving board. You don't need to save face, you don't have one.

You know what they say, abscess makes the heart go wander.

It partly is the food industry's fault. They chose to continously refine products to strip every micro in the product. They also put out false information to the point now that it is hard to dispel the myths like "it's cheaper to eat unhealthy than healthy". That is not to say it is not any of the fatties fault either: the information is there yet they continue to refuse to listen, rationalize, and feed themselves crap.

Holy overcompensating newfag.

Another problem they didnt seem to talk about was the food pyramid. In 1991 the us congress made it somrthing we teach in schools also subsudies and tariffs where set to give every american the same type of diet.

>>fluoridated water
No! It's good for you goyim! It helps prevent cavities and the levels coming from the tap fall way far below the toxic levels!

>white rice is bad for you
I still don't get this meme.

The problem is people eat shit food around the rice. If they stuck to vegetables, some fresh meat and no junk food they could eat all the white rice they wanted. Just look at many regions in china, they eat like 80% rice and don't get heart disease, stroke and CVD. That said I also buy black rice because it's almost as cheap here and way better nutrition-wise.

The most poinient message in the movie is that sugar is 100% an addictive substance and the only reason it isn't treated like meth or opiates is because of configuration from the fact that sugar will provide calories if eaten.

>or opiates

Opiates aren't treated too different from sugar desu. There's a huge epidemic going on in America right now thanks to doctors and pharmaceutical companies handing them out like candy with no restraint or warnings, getting people needlessly addicted without knowing.

>If it's hard to pronounce then I won't eat it.
So cobalamin and ascorbic acid are bad for you?
I hate mom science

>implying they're ever called that on nutrition labels
>implying they're ever listed as ingredients, which user was clearly talking about
>implying user didn't admit it was mom science

Fucking this.
Former fat cunt reporting. Now I can eat anything I like as long as it's clean.
>tfw fit into 30 inch jeans when used to be 34.
Big mistake most people make is poisoning themselves with sugar. Cut that out, eat balanced and varied diet, lift and the weight will pile off.

Fellow UK fag here calling you out on your bullshit-
The UK has equal or higher obesity rates than the US

Also our government is heavily subsidised and lobbied by the food and drink industry, probably more so in america despite america being really heavily lobbied. Hell, our last 2 prime ministers were paid by TESCO

You're right, but it's no different in the UK

***confusion

I remember when this first went on Netflix and Veeky Forums still had regular FPH threads; the reception was not kind. Which I don't really understand it makes a good point that the average Western (esp. American) diet has been supplanted by trash to benefit the prominent players in modern agriculture/corporate food. Think of all the people on Veeky Forums who stated out as fatasses who needed it to be slammed into their heads that their usual diet was bullshit and their was room for improvement.

This. I'm noticing a disturbing trend in people my age group (18-25) where they absolutely do not know how to take responsibility for their own actions. Their problems (obesity, alcoholism, opioid addiction) are always someone else's fault.

Just finished watching this because of this thread, and its hella interesting. It's got me even more motivated to stay on keto.

Eat your greens, berries and some fruits.

Read a label faggot. Ascorbic acid is added to a lot of shit, and it's nickname isn't always listed. Also,
>Implying that just because he admitted it's mom science doesn't mean I can't hate it

>>Implying that just because he admitted it's mom science doesn't mean I can't hate it

I didn't imply that. I implied that you implied that he hadn't implied it was mom science which I inferred from your implying he genuinely thinks those things must be bad for you.

And maybe I have a more limited diet or it's a location thing, but I don't think I've ever seen that on a label, myself.
>implying I'm implying that means it doesn't real
I'm only explaining my perspective, calm down
>implying I really think you're angry

...Oooh, 'fed' like 'food', it's a pun. I opened this thread hours ago and I just got it. I thought the title was weirdly generic.

Just watched this documentary with the wife. It seems to take a lot of personal accountability away from people and shift blame on corporations.

I counted more than one scene in this movie where fatties cried over having to pick between being healthy and eating chocolate.

Fucked up I think, especially in a free market. What they're literally trying to do is impose more regulations on food (ie through taxes) because 2/3rds of the US population can't help themselves.

I've seen what you fat fucks eat. Don't try to pin this shit on us americans.

>Fucked up I think, especially in a free market. What they're literally trying to do is impose more regulations on food (ie through taxes) because 2/3rds of the US population can't help themselves.
Surely that's the opposite of fucked up- that if 2/3rds of the population are fat or obese then it's pretty obviously a result of cheap shit food and dietary habit- which incidentally is most of the reason you don't see obesity in first world countries with strict health and nutrition regulation

Personal vs corporate responsibility is an enormous part of it and denying that is just Americans being scared of rational government regulation as usual

>In my age group
This is every generation though. All of the millennial generalization shit is a meme to sell click-bait and junk news to people. Older people actually have a higher obesity rate than younger people because it is harder to exercise.

Isn't it literally illegal to be fat in Japan and you have to get checked like once a year? Now that would be a neat solution, not that it will ever happen.

but like, what IS the food industry? the corporations that make processed foods i assume? like no shit processed food is bad for you

Holy shit you are a genius!

>Isn't it literally illegal to be fat in Japan and you have to get checked like once a year?
No, that was a segment on one specific company which got rid the policy after that went live.

It also didn't work and weight went up in the company.

Oh too bad. Google said there are/were mandatory waistline measurements and obesity rates were at less than 4% 2014 which is impressive.

Sugar is literally addictive. Studies have shown that your brain goes through withdrawal symptoms without it, just as you would if you went off of cocaine or heroin.

It's cheap, legal, and has no hallucinogenic or impairing properties. So, yes, it's no wonder the food industry puts that shit in everything. 100 years ago, that wasn't a thing. And 100 years ago, morbidly obese people were a rare sight. This isn't a coincidence.

A lot of things that are advertised as being 'fortified' or 'vitamin enriched' can have stuff like ascorbic acid listed on the ingredients. And I know that shit ain't healthy, but I don't always have the choice.

Also,
>Implying faggots on Lithuanian ass hair braiding forums haven't been calling each other faggots since 2004
>Implying I'm mad
>n-no homo

Just pointing out that states with reservations or heavy native American populations are only allowed to sell low point beer in order to curb the rampant alcoholism. Just saying regulating what we eat and drink happens

>implying you're not legitimately a faggot
>implying you're not totally flirting with me right now
>implying I forgot to say no homo

surprise, people need this shit spelled out to them, processed foods are shit and the reasons why they're shit. feel better about yourself now?

>"The Jungle"
It ended up that the guy admitted it being a work of fiction, but it ended up doing a lot of good.

I guess the end justifies the means?

>most pastas
>white rice

That's false unless you put HFCS in those too.

For example, the cheap ass fortified wheat bread my coworker has in the cabinet lists thiamine mononitrate (B1) as an ingredient.

>Implying no homo means shit on Veeky Forums
>Implying we aren't all legitimate faggots

I know it's ancient copypasta but it still triggers me to this day.

Zoz'd

So because some fat cow can't say no to her fat brat over how much sugar he consumes I should be taxed or punished for equality?

>Be you
>Eat responsibly
>Exercise
>Cheat day arrives
>Go to McDonalds for BigMac, just the sandwich
>"That will be $24.99 sir."

Fuck you and everyone who thinks like you.

You want to fix the problem? Shame the fatties.

Tell them they're disgusting wastes of space and they smell bad.

Cut their fucking wages in half for being unproductive slugs.

Throw the fat fucks in jail for letting their kids get obese.

That's how you fix the problem.

>eating bread
>shiggydiggy
>pls be in london

Coworker's bread. My lunch is celery and peanut butter.

>T-texas?

>So because some fat cow can't say no to her fat brat over how much sugar he consumes I should be taxed or punished for equality?
If you view unhealthy foods being regulated as you being punished then you're the fat cow

Your broken logic is exactly what causes obesity in your shitty country

Americans, everything is black and white and down to personal responsibility- let McDonalds and big Tobacco run free and do whatever they want because it's fat peoples fault they're fat

This is the sort of bullshit mentality you grow out of when you're 12

Also there rest of your post is equally retarded

>You want to fix the problem? Shame the fatties.
If shame was a deterrent to being fat there wouldn't be fat people. Most obese people are long past the point of caring what people think of them

>Tell them they're disgusting wastes of space and they smell bad.
So are 90% of NEETS on Veeky Forums, nobody is upset about having to pay for the taxes that pay for your existence.

>Cut their fucking wages in half for being unproductive slugs.
They tried that in Japan, it didn't work. It's also the least practical and most retarded thing you've suggested

>Throw the fat fucks in jail for letting their kids get obese.
You were stating it was personal responsibility a moment ago, make up your mind

Problems aren't fixed based on your emotional 12 year old knee jerk reactions, they're based on what works and regulation and nutrition and education work, subsidising sugar and junk food in schools doesn't. Deal with it and grow up.

2 words: FREE MARKET.

If there wasn't a demand for something, it wouldn't be produced, and if it was it would be expensive. You can't just tax everything you don't like because of your left wing high horse moral authority over everyone.

> If shame was a deterrent to being fat there wouldn't be fat people. Most obese people are long past the point of caring what people think of them

The fuck are you talking about, have you missed the entire "beautiful at any size" movement fat acceptance movement?

Woman are shamed now for being fit because that's something that unattainable to most obese bitches with no self control.

> So are 90% of NEETS on Veeky Forums, nobody is upset about having to pay for the taxes that pay for your existence.

Most of the people here have jobs. You're a redditor aren't you? NEETs not NEETS you newfag. Learn what that even means.

Done with you.

Mm, yeah, swallow that hard rod until you feel something sticky in your throat...

"I Aimed For The Public's Heart, And...hit It In The Stomach"

The only thing we learned from the Jungle was that we needed to regulate the food industry so the food wouldn't make us immediately sick. They just play the long game now by making us sick over decades.

>let McDonalds and big Tobacco run free and do whatever they want because it's fat peoples fault they're fat
Yes, so long "whatever they want" doesn't include literally forcing people to eat junk and smoke. If you get a choice in the matter and you choose to do those things, then the consequences of those choices are 100% your own fault.

That's the gayest thing I've seen, and I've been here all summer

not him but there's a free market for literally any product, good or bad. The demand comes from an abuse of what the body sees as desirable.
Where is the threshold for the government to act or regulate in your mind? If cocaine and crack were legal, and you were getting bombarded with advertisements about cocaine while the facts about cocaine are constantly in dispute with 'facts' sponsored by the industry, do you blame the addicts that get hooked on it, or do you blame the corporations that push it into every facet of media?
I don't take away personal responsibility as an important factor in the decision matrix, but those decisions are obviously impaired and influenced by media, advertisers, and what their bodies want, decreasing their will.
Even though it might not be the personal case for me or you, learning to empathize and understand these things is what we have to do to properly address them.

>2 words: FREE MARKET.
That's not the counterpoint. Read it again.

>You can't just tax everything you don't like because of your left wing high horse moral authority over everyone.
Nor can you blame fatties for the same reason. You use evidence and logic.

>have you missed the entire "beautiful at any size" movement fat acceptance movement?
Yes, as have 90% of fatties. Veeky Forums likes to overplay it because raging about a small group of retards is what Veeky Forums does best. In reality the extreme majority of fatties and obese fucks know they're piles of shit and still continue to get fatter. Saying otherwise is simply false.

>Woman are shamed now for being fit because that's something that unattainable to most obese bitches with no self control.
You've been on /pol/ and /r9k/ too long. Fatties get far more shit than healthy people.

>Most of the people here have jobs.
Delusional again.

>You're a redditor aren't you? NEETs not NEETS you newfag. Learn what that even means.
>Done with you.
Maybe you should stop getting offended on the internet when people disagree with you NEETY

>If you get a choice in the matter and you choose to do those things, then the consequences of those choices are 100% your own fault.
By that same logic there should be no law. You find a level that helps everyone- that's called society.

>If cocaine and crack were legal, and you were getting bombarded with advertisements about cocaine while the facts about cocaine are constantly in dispute with 'facts' sponsored by the industry, do you blame the addicts that get hooked on it, or do you blame the corporations that push it into every facet of media?

The addicts. I've done blow responsibly before. Don't do it anymore because I have a career to protect. Never got addicted but seen many people go down that road, and frankly it's their fault as to why we can't have nice things.

For the record cocaine is probably safer than alcohol.

>Implying we don't have jobs
Nig, quit projecting. I'm phone posting from work right now. Just because you can't work doesn't mean we don't know how

>Don't do it anymore because I have a career to protect
I hope you realize that the reasoning presented is since there are legal ramifications, I should stop.
The fact is, there is no legal ramifications in the SQ for either companies or people to stop eating, but one thing that seems certain is that if it starts to cost insanely more for a person to notice in their wallet, or if there is less advertising, then it WILL go down.
I really don't care if people become fat shits or not if they are fully informed about their decisions. The simple fact is that they're not because dieting has become an industry and misinformation is everywhere.

Here's your award for dumbest post of all time.

Not sure about that. I'm a pack a day smoker. Prices have gone from $3 a pack here to between $6-7, mostly due to tax hikes. I'm still smoking. Plan on quitting, but not because of cost, more because Veeky Forums is getting to me and that's the last unhealthy thing i do

it's true, not dumb. sugar acts on opioid receptors similar to the way actual opiates/opioids do.

Yeah, that explains why I constantly see fat people eating refined sugar with a spoon out of a bag

OH WAIT

Not him but people don't eat poppy seeds or the components of cocaine either

Your concept is retarded.

lol what. you do realize you're literally arguing against neurobiological findings with nonsensical bullshit right?

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763407000589

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2002.66/full

journals.lww.com/neuroreport/Abstract/2001/11160/Excessive_sugar_intake_alters_binding_to_dopamine.35.aspx

ya they do

>mfw its 2017 and everything is an addiction, and we have the cure, limited time only!

why do you even post?

Then you should make poppy seeds illegal and stop cooking with them
Don't be retarded on purpose.

I've never seen a purchasable cure peddled for any of these fancy addictions. Just marketers exploiting addiction behaviours to make their products more effective.

What is poppy milk and coca leaves?

>By that same logic there should be no law. You find a level that helps everyone- that's called society.
In no way does that follow from the logic of what you quoted.

>All one group of authors at the same department
Wow, apparently some people still don't understand the concept of headline bait or that nutrition and psychology research are characterized by each researcher promoting their favorite personal memes with the aim of selling books and getting on TV. Too bad the actual scientific consensus is that sugar is not addictive (which is sad that such a retarded question would even have to be considered, given that human physiology runs on sugar).

What are you even trying to say?

yes. thanks

Actually, people eating the components of cocaine (coca leaves) are the reason anyone thought to refine it into cocain in the first place. But chewing on the leaves is actually totally safe, it's only in highly refined qualities that the substance becomes addictive.

Kind of like another substance we know of that's pretty much safe in it's natural form but becomes addictive when highly refined, and dangerously palatable when cut with fats and flavours that prevent your body from realising how sick it's being made.

>8349▶
> (You)
>>All one group of authors at the same department
>Wow, apparently some people still don't understand the concept of headline bait or that nutrition and psychology research are characterized by each researcher promoting their favorite personal memes with the aim of selling books and getting on TV. Too bad the actual scientific consensus is that sugar is not addictive (which is sad that such a retarded question would even have to be considered, given that human physiology runs on sugar).
lol

There is no difference between natural and refined sugars. It's glucose and fructose.

People who are supposedly "addicted" to sugar don't eat plain refined sugar. What an amazing addiction where you don't even consume what you're addicted to.

That's like saying there's no difference between carbs and fat because they both get turned into glucose or glycogen to fuel the brain

People who don't understand basic nutrition need to stop trying to engage in this conversation

>There is no difference between natural and refined sugars. It's glucose and fructose.

Except when you eat it in the form of fruit, you can only get so far before you can't eat any more. Simply blend that fruit into a smoothie, suddenly you can happily consume 10, 20 times what you normally could - and that's about the simplest method of processing.

>People who are supposedly "addicted" to sugar don't eat plain refined sugar. What an amazing addiction where you don't even consume what you're addicted to.
Why bother can down bottles of soda? It's basically sugar and water, slides down much easier than a bag of dry powder.

People who are addicted to other drugs don't just consume them straight either, they find more palatable ways to get them like pot brownies, parachuted cocaine, certain types of alcohol.