>not fat, just not in shape
>read sticky
>diet already consists of stuff in the sticky
>says I need to go to gym
>alright letsdothis
>never been to a gym
>read stories here bout gyms
>pls no

h-help..... h-h-how do get f-f-fit at h-home?

Youre never going to make it

> train at home
> Be fit
choose one

Most stories are greatly exaggerated. Just go at night or early morning when it's practically empty.

you're not my fitness supervisor

You don't

get a pull up bar, some dumbells and a weighted vest

fug

are gyms typically empty-ish at 1 am? there's a shit ton of 24 gyms near me.

I just dun wanna look like a loser figuring it all out. I mean, I know I'll look like a loser. but I'd like to avoid looking like a loser infront of a shit ton of people. these places always seem to be packed.

Contrary to the status quo here, you can achieve a pretty decent body at home with little equipment. Buy a book like pic related, then join a gym once you're a litttle bigger and your confidence is up.

>are gyms typically empty-ish at 1 am?
Yes, unless you live near some major commuter hub or big city.
Literally visit them at 1am to see if there's anyone there. Is this that hard for you, dumb frogposter?

yes, it is, which is why I came to get advice from people who have experience with this subject.

>implying anyone will give a fuck
>implying it should matter to you

literally nobody cares dude just go whenever's convenient for you. i did an elaborate eric cressey mobility routine complete with glute stretches for 15 minutes pre workout when i first started and i was 6' 135lbs, nobody gave a shit. you do you

that makes me feel a bit better. looking stupid infront of other people just feels horrible, though.

all I want is to be healthy. and maybe eventually ripped :(

y dis gotta be so scary?

Get a buddy who know's what he's doing to to bring you along

He can teach you lifts and gym etiquette until your comfortable to start going on your own

With a pull up bar and some dumbbells you could get both in shape and quite ripped. After one or two years you might want to consider a gym membership, though

Everyone goes through this when starting. Don't be self conscious. Everyone at the gym is too busy doing their own shit to pay attention to you, nobody cares about you unless you're being retarded.

this seems like a good starting point for me. thanks anons.

I'm about 300% sure I'd be completely retarded while learning this stuff at a gym.

The worst that happens is that some autist who goes to your gym shitposts about you on Veeky Forums (this is prevented by going at normal hours). Nobody else cares as long as you don't do anything bizarre/against the gym rules.

Its funny that a single post like this can reveal so much about a person.

For example, this guy will never amount to anything. His timidity, fear and general attitude towards life guarantees a failed existence.

What do you even tell someone like this? You can't exactly tell them to give up cause that doesn't help anyone. Should you suggest they kill themselves? It seems cruel on the surface but maybe that's the most merciful solution overall?

Lifes a real cunt.

so real

Yeah, funny how a single post can reveal so much about a person huh.

What do you mean by "in shape"?
Do you mean you want to become slightly more aesthetic or do you mean you just want to feel winded less often when going mountain hiking?
If it's the second one, any sport will do. And a bike or a swimming pool subscription are respectively a sounder investment and way cheaper than a gym membership.

Just do this. I train at home with two 16 kg dumbbells. Read the sticky btw.

bull fucking shit

>swimming pool subscription is cheaper than a gym

Uhh that depends on where you live dude
Im in eastern europe (slav masterrace) and swmming pools here are expensive as fuck, relative to our salaries especially kek
Gyms on the other hand are super affordable

went 2 gym first time yesterday.

most things were pretty straight forward.
ask someone if you dont get it and they will help.

>tfw been working out at home for 3 months now
>tfw gone from 6'4" KING of the lanklets (minor marfans syndrome) to actually having a normal looking or even above average body (compared to people who don't go to the gym)

You can definitely do a bit at home, I'm sure I'll have to go to the gym eventually though

mega bullshit, maybe you ate those dumbbells and they were enchanted by the tooth fairy, otherwise kek

If you've never done any kind of exercise I'd encourage you to work on your conditioning first. If you jump into a weightlifting program, even with the best of support, you're setting yourself up for injury.

Build a base from cardiovascular fitness, bodyweight exercises and flexibility work. That way when you actually go to a gym, you'll be spry enough to make it through a workout without sucking wind, you'll be able to load the bar with heavier weight than a sixty-kilogram Cambodian woman, and you'll have the range of movement to make the most out of your exercises.

Give a gym a shot man. It ain't that bad.

Find a small gym if possible that has a good range of lifting equipment. Small gyms are better for a lot of reasons.

-They tend to be less crowded as most people don't even consider them. Lots of normies go straight to a big box gym or CrossFit.
-They tend to be pretty cheap.
-They actually have a bit of a community feel. When I first went to the gym I was just as nervous, but I went to a small gym, and was instantly greeted by nice friendly gym owners and gym goers. They were really nice about showing me how to use equipment and made me feel really comfy about being a beginner.

After going to the gym a bit you'll know exactly what equipment you like to use, and then it's much easier to know what you need to buy for a home gym, if you still ultimately want to take the home gym route.

>minor marfans syndrome
>minor
user pls
>brb have minor downs
>brb it's not that bad i swear

the stories on here are fake and gay. most people mind their own business at the gym and don't really care, and there are actually some people that are pretty nice.
if you do have enough money to get a home gym though go ahead, it's a really good investment desu.

fair enough
In france I can get a yearly pool subscription for the price of one month of gym membership.

The first time at the gym someone tried to pull my underwear over my head and when I got mad he asked me why I am so mad and that's how they say hello to everyone at the gym and I am a bad sport.
I never returned.

Here's what you do on your first trip to the gym:
>Figure out a workout plan from home (SS or whatever you're set on doing)
>Watch videos on the exercises you want to do no matter how basic they are
>Take mental notes
>Or actual notes idgaf
>Go to gym
>Bring your phone
>Record yourself as you do an exercise
>Compare it to what you saw in the videos
>Correct your form until you got it on lock
>Enjoy gains
>Enjoy regulars being impressed with your dedication to learning correct form instead of being a clueless twat forever
9/10 gyms are perfectly normal, you'll be fine. You can make it, user.

Working out at home means it'll be difficult to get ripped faster as you have way more distractions and ways to quit, there's no spotter either so you'll have to do is muscle resistance if you're scared of injuring yourself. But you can keep programs on hand quicker and can hoard all the weights without feeling like an annoyance.
Follow what other user's mentioned and get a pull-up bar and some weights. You can bench-press on the floor so there's that, but without a barbell stand you'll only be able to

Going to the gym is basically, "Well, I'm already here. May as well lift." People there can either suck or be lift buddies, if they bother you, ignore them. Don't worry so much about the opinions of others.

i bet you are the type of guy to go into the gym, buy a membership, then go right up to a machine and start reading it

>read stories here bout gyms
I don't know if it's Murrican gyms but I literally started two weeks ago from absolute zero. The worst I've experienced was some dude telling me during my first ever try with squats to take a lighter weight because I was nearly fucking falling over with just 20kg. Told him I'm just starting out but this should be the absolute minimum, we both had a laugh and that's it.

I used to go at 6 am to avoid people.

Now I go whenever I want, and I find most people there are new and lift way less than me.

just go to the gym with a goal.
Dont spend any time wondering what you are going to do, plan it out at home.

First time i was there, it was packed and i was so paranoid that everyone was staring at me and judging my every move. In reality they just wanna finish their workout and go home, they cant care less about what you do.

When do you wake up and what do you eat for breakfast if you go at 6AM? I've considered doing it but I usually feel like shit in the mornings. Waiting 3-4 hours though feels like wasting the day.

OP if you step foot inside my gym I will literally yell at you until you leave.

>yes, it is
If you can't even just drive over there and look to see if there are a lot of people around, then you're fucked. How do you expect to step inside of a gym? You need to get over your autism. Do you even have a job?

What exactly did you do?

There really is no reason to be afraid of the gym
First of all I think the gym is the place kindest and gentlest I have seen people be in
Also everyone there are just as clueless as you're
I mean most people there are fucking plebs who want to "tone up" for the summer and get their abs by doing 1000 crunches
Hell even just reading the sticky will make an authority over half of the guys at your gym

I've been doing SL for 2 months and I'm already stronger than %90 of people in my gym (it is a shitty gym, but still)

Just go and do your thing
Noone is gonna be an asshole to you, like ever, and even if they do, it's probably them being the shithead

reeeeeally want this to be true

just go to a gym it's really not scary.

remember 90% of the people at the gym will be ordinary people who don't give a toss what you do not Veeky Forums type weirdos

Its funny that a single post like this can reveal so much about a person.

For example, this guy will never amount to anything. His timidity, fear and general attitude towards life guarantees a failed existence.

What do you even tell someone like this? You can't exactly tell them to give up cause that doesn't help anyone. Should you suggest they kill themselves? It seems cruel on the surface but maybe that's the most merciful solution overall?

Lifes a real cunt.

You just took two pictures in the mirror and enhanced one of them.

Do you think anyone would like to hear stories about how nice the gym is?
Of course not, that would be boring as heck, we only share our shitty experiences

Everyone starts somewhere user. Everyone has been a noob once. You will get over it. And when you do, you'll remember your newbie era and laugh