What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Alan Thrall?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Alan Thrall?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zT3pwocyU68
youtube.com/watch?v=tPo5gpVrA9E
youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8
youtu.be/wPH7RbeLst4
youtube.com/watch?v=zIxRLzKGxwo
youtu.be/WsjcEqfaARo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

basically just makes videos about Veeky Forums stickies with the occasional strongman training facts about how he was in the military

solid 7/10 tuber

gives good advice to beginners but his SS dogmatism is going too far. its clear he doesnt know much beyond beginner info but he acts as if he can help intermediate/advanced lifters

also the
>muh marines. muh beard
stuff is cringey

>looks like shit
>american
>ugly

2/10 youtuber, i cringe everytime some of his videos pop up in my feed.

Just another one of those guys who tries to get novices to be powerlifters and not care about aesthetics

I like his instructional videos a lot helped me fix my form in a lot of shit,Very helpful and resourceful as well.

>good informative videos
>makes updates every few years to videos as new information becomes available
>clear instructions
>actually lifts
>natty

I don't really know what there isn't to like, he seems like a cool dude.

what he provides is already previously available in shorter, less infuriating presentation, and the fact that reddit fellates him.

He's a joke, all he does is regurgitate bullshit people better than him already covered years ago
His PL total is also embarrassing considering how long he claims to have been lifting
Utterly fucking irrelevant to anyone who has been lifting for more than a week

good technique videos... lots of other videos filled with bro science tier nonsense.. he also eats like absolute shit which is why he looks like shit..

except his "updates" are downgrades because hes been drinking the SS koolaid

I love ripptoe, but the way alans been preaching his stuff as the best/only way lately is just stupid

>>looks like shit
>>american
>>ugly

This. Plus
>retard reddit humor
>disgusting excuse for a beard
>shit lifts for training this long

How anyone can watch this shit after having been to the gym for longer than a week is beyond me. >muh good technique
God damn some retards here spend every day of the week shitposting for hours, do your fucking research instead of relying on youtube losers only handicapped children deem watchable

Here, great channel

youtube.com/watch?v=tPo5gpVrA9E
youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8

His cooking videos are super comfy.

His gym is the only reason I got in to serious lifting.

Thrall is bottom-of-the-barrel.

>not an athlete
>not very strong
>looks like shit

Why would I bother listening to him?

you go to his gym?

>reddit fellates him
why is this a thing you know? Why the fuck does it matter?

This seems like legit criticism of SS (which seems pretty common on nowadays), but I never see it paired with things like "and here is an alternative with over a decade of actual scientific research and substantive statistical results"

Is there an alternative that even remotely approaches the level of success that SS/SL has?

Yeah it's a ton of fun. Everyone lifts a lot and is super helpful.Great motivation when literally everyone lifts more than you do. Free samples of preworkout/BCAAs/other meme shit, and free sips. Legit has free monsters and gatoraids in a fridge.

>alan thrall

Seems like a smart and entartaining individual, but don't watch this guys videos to learn a lift. Don't even consider him as an authority. He misses a lot of things for the lifts.
But he makes fun videos and brings good perspectives on different stuff

7/10 entartaining and hard working guy but not quite there

DO NOT MOVE THE BARBELL

OR I WILL FIND AND SHIT ON YOUR FACE WHILE SQUATTING

i loved in one vid he made the joke of the tight ass lol

The only thing thats grown on his body in 3 years is his beard. Whats the point in working out for years and years if you're still just gonna look like a out of shape fat shit. "BUHT IM STRONG POWERLIFTER UHUHU"

Because he doesn't really compete anymore. He takes care of his gym, hosts competitions, and is just involved in the community.

He increased his quality since he started getting in touch with ss coaches

Ill rephrase then. If u want to train for years and years and still look like u havent trained a day in your life, go watch Alan Thrall and do what he does.

for beginners SS/SL is the best option. but for inermediate lifters interested in strength, they arent. TM(written by rip) is good, but there are other programs. c6w, 28free, sheiko, smolov, to name a few

also. his new form videos, he preaches rips squat form as the best, but it just isnt. the way you squat is very specific to you. you cant just do what rip tells you in a book (this is just one example, its not the only situation like this)

his gym does look comfy t b h

Hes never lifted for aesthetics and never claimed to. The fuck are you going on about?

I find with a lot of his stuff there's some good thinking behind it (his beginner running routine is particularly clever), but out of the guys with hair and beards he's not as good as Chris Duffin. Reading some of the comments you'd think he was Lex Fitness tier tho, he's decent enough. The worst thing Thrall does is label some routines in a confusing manner.

That guy is fucking hilarious as well. Dry humor and exhilarating rants. Some videos are very theoretical, so naturally the low IQ fitness community wont be able to sit through a 20min video on inertia. But this will actually help you lifting.

youtu.be/wPH7RbeLst4
youtube.com/watch?v=zIxRLzKGxwo

pic related him in the 80s. 2nd my Olympia goes to his classes, NBA players as well. (minute 7-8 in the 2nd video)
Severely underappreciated, these videos will help a lot of people.

*meant 1st video

youtu.be/WsjcEqfaARo

back to u know where faggot

OP asked for our opinion on Alan Thrall. I gave my opinion. What the fuck are u going on about yourself cunt?

He's alright. Gives good advice for strength lifting. Beats the dudebro shit.

thanks for this post

>Why the fuck does it matter
it matter because theyre the ones who are inflating his viewcounts. this is why his videos are aplenty on subject all already covered. it's also a fucking funny thing since reddit do not like SS yet promotes a guy who is just preaching SS.

>Thrall

that means he is literally descended from slaves

Because your opinion is retarded and uninformed.

Sheiko sort of is a program. I want to get my hands on that book as I've heard they're merely example programs you'd derive from the principles explained in the book. The numbered routines are higher intermediate anyway.

Smolov isn't a program so much as an intervention. You don't/can't do it week after week after week, so similar to a 20rep squat routine.

The one relatively minor criticism of SS is that for the genetically talented/inclined you don't have to follow the program to the letter, you can add volume, frequency, accessories etc. YNDTP is for people that change it and don't see results, but that doesn't mean you can't change it and see better results as an individual. SS does pretty much work for every and anyone tho, and that's part of what makes it great. 5x5s have been used with great success for decades now, but still we get know better brofessors spouting shit. Oh well!

Watch them all, you'll learn more from that guy in 1-2 hours about exercises, lifting, goals and the physics behind exercises than lifting for a year by yourself.

I'll link this shit again because people need to stop sucking Rippetoe's dick.
Look closely: Where did you see the illustration he talks about before?

i like him

the deadlift video where he does this hyper autistic 2 minutes psych up and right before he lifts he goes "oops shit forgot chalk" and walks off had me laughing

>sheiko sort of is a program
>smolov isnt a program

you dont know anything about programing. please educate yourself before putting dumb shit out there like this. you literally dont even know what a program is/isnt

smolov isnt not a program because its run in cycles. periodisation is literally part of programming

??? Why do you think you know what you're talking about? There is no macrocycle with Smolov therefore no program, Smolov only covers a single mesocycle. You don't sit on your arse for the remaining 80% of the year.

Sheiko does have a program it just isn't #28, #29 etc, they're the equivalent of "doing SS" from an infographic without reading the book (i.e. YNDTP).

>no macrocycle so its not a program

literally no the definition of a program. at the end of your smolov cycle you can just repeat it. although its meant to be for comp prep, you still can

running the numbered training cycles isnt the same as "doing ss from an info graphic" (the also arent in numerical order, you pic which blocks dependant on your needs, idk if you were aware of this)

>at the end of your smolov cycle you can just repeat it.
Never done Smolov the post.

>(the also arent in numerical order, you pic which blocks dependant on your needs, idk if you were aware of this)
You can only make sense of them if you read the book, you don't have to do them in a certain order but neither should you pick and choose. Those examples are part of a somewhat complicated but not easy to understand peaking cycle.

you can repeat it. and even if you just do one cycle, its still a program

theres enough info translated to english for you to understand what order to run sheiko blocks in. you dont need the book. Im sure its full of useful info but its not necessary

You either lift for athletics of aesthetics. Strongman and powerlifting are fucking MEMES

He was honor guide, dudes more athletic than most the population

Can he even dunk a basketball with all of that EXPLOSIVE TRAINING

Am I squatting wrong or why does simply watching him squat make my back hurt? He's got so much momentum in his squat. Is that good for your joints? Don't you have to go slowly and controlled?

you dont have to go slowly, but you're not supposed to bounce.

>you can repeat it.
M8 some people are broken by running Smolov just once, don't talk about what you don't know about. Nobody's running Smolov after Smolov back to back.

you fucking nigger are the bottom of the barrel. no clue what you are talking about, yet spouting nonsense and giving advice. if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, then dont reply.
Nobody repeats smolov you asshat

You can lift for strength retard.

Only acceptable if you're an oly weightlifter.

That doesn't make any sense. Oly lifters are leaning more towards athleticism than powerlifting and strongman.

i'm a beginner, and Alan Thrall was actually helpful to me. but the channel in your post looks much better, i'll check it out. thanks!

Which is why I said "athletics or aesthetics" where weightlifter clearly falls under athletics

I do like Alan Thrall, his form videos are pretty legit. He's obviously more interested in the MUH STRENGTH though.

not as good as this guy

Why can't someone lift purely to be stronger?

Channel has been shit for a year

yeh tru...

You can, if you're an oly lifter.

Otherwise, you're just a fat guy settling for mediocrity (strongmen and powerlifters)

this. he obviously ran out of material. it was a good run but he should just stop now because he's killing his legacy with his new vids where he is trying way too hard to keep his channel alive

1. TM is not written by rippetoe
2. Rippetoe no longer recommends anyone do TM (with the exception of young men with insane recovery ability)

so your point is that you don't like powerlifting I quess

in my original post I acknowledged that it was meant for peaking and that you shouldnt run it back to back. my point was that the person I was replying to said it -wasnt a program- because it takes one mesocycle which is retarded

Ive literally run TM and made good progress on it. you dont need insane recovery

good for beginners, he does a good job of explaining lifts like OHP for people that have no clue for example.

Also he did a pretty good one on pelvic tilt and mobility.

ZAG ZAG

idk who he is, but judging by the pic he's desperate to impress those around him, which tends to means glaring insecurities. his hair is well groomed, but the excessive length of beard and hair will only get in the way of things; which means this guy goes out of his way to primp himself in a way that gives absolutely no true functionality. he could easily pull off a shorter, more efficient hair cut. he seems like the type of guy who takes an hour to get ready and then wont stop asking you if his manbun looks okay

I learned to do The Press correctly by watching his video

But typically for raw strength it'd be better to do powerlifting and strongman. Whats wrong with wanting to be big and strong?

Thanks oh mighty gym god for letting us peasants know what it is acceptable to lift for and what it isn't.I almost thought it was up to each individual what their goals and desired outcomes were and not some random faggot on Veeky Forums there for a second.