Running

Can we have a running thread?

I completed my first ultra a few weeks ago. 60km (around 40ish miles). It was a beautiful run, and very satisfying. I'm doing another 60 in four weeks, and I'm hoping to run a 100k in 2018 if life/work permits. I'm also aiming for a sub 1:25 half marathon in September when I'm doing a relay half ironman with a friend.

What are your goals? Shoes? Inspiration? Anything!

Wrong neighborhood pal.

Finally someone else who actually runs. How long did the 60k take and how was the terrain? Also, how's the recovery?

I'm training for my debut marathon in the summer, hoping to get under 2:50. Did a hilly 82 minute half a couple of weeks ago, so I'm feeling optimistic. Also doing crazy shit for my club like 400 hurdles and steeplechase (a PB's a PB).

Fresh off the boat from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It’s survival of the fittest and you ain’t gonna survive long on Veeky Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don’t upboat. You don’t downboat. This ain’t reddit, kid. This is Veeky Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don’t think you’re all that familiar with. You don’t like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don’t tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I’m a judge.. this place…. this place has a lot to offer… heh you’ll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it..

What kind of figure do you have? Do you lift or would that be counterproductive to the ultras?

2:50 in your first marathon? That's crazy, good luck man.

The 60 took me 6:59. It was a fast time for the course; trail running is brutal, and I'm very satisfied. I have also done ironman but finished in an unsatisfying time, so it felt good to complete a big race in a solid manner.

I'm a skelly by Veeky Forums standards and I don't lift. I did core training when I focused on ironman, but not anymore. I've seen many runners with good bodies (not what Veeky Forums thinks is good, but, well, balanced?), but obviously ultrarunners are never really huge.

I would think that someone that does ultras over varying terrain, as well as the steeple chase, would have to do some form of a lifting routine to strengthen certain muscles that are recruited in running up and down over rugged terrain, as well as jumping and landing in a steeple chase. I'm not saying it's necessary but it could be far more beneficial than simply building mileage.

I registered for a half marathon today. It's in 4 weeks
I'm 15 lbs over weight
I've never ran more than 5 miles and that was about 5 years ago

How fucked am I?

If you can start running fairly regularly during the next 4 weeks, you should be able to finish. I'm not saying it'll be good or that you won't suffer, but you can gut out 13.1.

why though?

i don't run but to me that seems really stupid unless you run often.

why not start by seeing how far you can run before you start trying to run a large distance?

Well thats a 10k right?
5km = 3.1 miles
Can you run 6 miles instead of your usual 5?

If math is wrong sorry im busy doing things

Can run a mile in 630 pretty easily. Cant run 3 miles at 8min pace. Any suggestions? Should I just try running 3 at 10min pace?

I think you should probably be able to handle 3-4 miles hovering around 9 per mile.

Just went for like my fifth run this year. Tried to stay somewhat comfortable so I wasn't totally wheezing when I was done, just a slight lactic acid taste.
How bad is it?

If you can run more than 20 min straight, you're doing a lot better than a good amount of the population. Keep up the good work mate.

Run 30min, walk 5 min, run 30min, walk 5min etc

and you'll be fine

Thanks. I do other endurance stuff so it's not like the distance is completely new to me, so I wanted to set a decent target. Sounds like pretty good going in your race. Glad you're satisfied.

I have done some sort of 'strength and conditioning' (usually floor-based bodyweight stuff for endurance/muscle activation) for years. When runners get injured, or are injury prone, it is usually because they don't do any sort of strength work. Personally, I've been doing compound lifts for strength for the last few months and my presses are shit even by normie standards but I feel much stronger and controlled when I'm running.

Bold move. Bear in mind that you have two weeks to train yourself to be able to go the distance. You'll need the last two to prepare yourself for the race. It's doable though.

Drop the weight asap

I always had this problem, when i don't really need it i can't run fast. I haven't played football for a few years now but even playing football i only ran fast when chasing free ball. Sometimes i got in little races like who runs faster and i never run at my full speed. But if a dog chases me i run very fast. What is my problem? Like my legs just felt numb or something at the time

Managed a 10k in 47 minutes recently.

The strange thing was that my 5k split was better than my best recorded time when doing a plain 5k run (23.40). Probably wasn't pushing myself hard enough.

What's a nice trisuit to use?

Im on week 6 of C25K. I have a 22 minute run scheduled tomorrow but when I run the left side of my left calf starts to feel very sore and tight. Do I just need to stretch more? What are some good stretches/warmup/cooldown routines?

I'm working on getting my 1.5mile/2400m down below 8 minutes. Currently I'm at 9:30 but I've been improving by about 1 minutes ever 2 months.

I heard it's a good idea to run endurance and did an 8km in 39:00 so I think I've been doing decently there. Right now I'm doing 2 2.4kms and 2 8kms a week, should I be doing more?

Kek

firrst of all make sure you're form is good and youre not running on the side of your foot

It could just be that you're still fairly new to running. Dynamic stretch before, static after.

pic related feels amazing for my calves after a run

Is it true running is the one exercise that uses all your muscles?

only if you do it right