So Veeky Forums, my grandama is a doctor. She has aways helped me with everything, specially health related stuff...

So Veeky Forums, my grandama is a doctor. She has aways helped me with everything, specially health related stuff. When she learned about my interest in fitness, and lifting to develop muscle mass, she was quick to respond, saying I shouldnt lift, do pull ups, push ups, or anything that aplies extreme tension. Besides from showing me several pages (some contradictory and obviously stupid, some actually reasonable), providing me with her medical knowledge, had one argument that really got me thinking :

>Have this uncle
>In his 40s
>he is about my height, a little bit taller maybe (im 170cm)
>Turns out he used to be 20cm taller
>Lost them due to doing pull ups too early.

Im actually wondering if I should listen to her or not. I respect her so much, and besides that, she is still a doctor. I know that you guys say that is lame listening to your family about this but fuck, my family has phyisical evidence, and a succesful medical career, so it is a little bit different in this case. What would Veeky Forums do?

your grandmas just memeing.

I'm 6'7 and have been lifting for over 10 years. Still 6'7. As long as you dont drop a bar on your neck you should be ok

>Lost 20cm

What the FUCK? 20 cm? 8 fucking inches? And you believed it?

You're fucking unbelievably stupid.

>listening to women about fitness

lol, is this a troll thread?

20cm is a huge change. I can't imagine someone losing nearly a foot off their height from doing pull-ups "too early" (whenever that is).

In my experience, non-specialized doctors also have a tendency to not know too much about exercise/lifting. They tend to err (heavily) on the side of caution and advise you to avoid anything with the slightest risk of injury. I can see how that makse sense to them, but it's impractical for most people with reasonable goals.

Well, that uncle really is about my height, and I have seen pictures o him younger. He was way taller. She showed me when she told me about this

That is exactly what i thought, and by too early I meant at about 18 years or so, before growth stops

Shrinking is a natural part of aging, not lifting. Your bone structure is rigid and is meant to survive INSANE amounts of compressive force. This is due to the physiological structure of long bones in your limbs that more or less determine your height.

Pull ups and push ups are not by any means extreme tension. This is again, due to the physiological processes of muscle use. She should know this if she has medical experience and is a doctor. The way muscles work is that motor neurons control bunches of muscle fibers. Exercise overtime will help the CNS reroute the most efficient motor neurons to perform an action, usually through large loads and suprmaximal efforts.

Loss of ATP simply does not cause this rerouting. This is why people always talk about strength vs hypertrophy. Hypertrophy is the process of muscle enlargement, and exercises that you can do for many repetitions induce it. The reason why this happens is because the body is adapting to the needs of the muscle, which requires more ATP. So it increases the size of its muscle to be able to store more ATP. This does not mean that the CNS is any more efficient at using these muscle fibers nor does it know the most effective way to contract them for tasks.

Pull ups don't even have compressive force on your bones. Pull ups exhibit a different kind of force called tensile force in which the bones are being pulled due to hanging and stretching of ligaments. Pull ups will absolutely not shrink you by any means.

If your grandma is seriously a doctor, she should know all of this. I'm in my first year of medical school and I know this.

The fact that you're even considering listening to her when she's giving you such garbage advice shows me that you're a braindead fucking idiot.

The whole "hurr durr she's a doctor she knows everything about everything" is such a cop-out.

Do you notice a big change in his posture? A.k.a. is he more hunched over? Spinal changes can happen as you age (hence why elderly can lose height, but also note their posture), but 20cm won't just vanish into thin air.

Also, what said. Pull-ups don't compress the spine... quite the opposite. Your grandma is either trolling you, not thinking critically, or is straight up ignorant.

Doctors don't know everything. I have job shadowed dentists and a lot of doctors come in. Some of them are so full of themselves, they don't really realize all of the dumb shit they are saying. Only listen to whatever they specialize in and practice. Everything else is basically like asking someone walking down the street for advice.

>Pull up
>Pulling yourself upwards
>Makes you shorter
Really activates the almonds

This.

>nothing to do with legs

>doesn't put negative pressure on the spinal cord

>affects muscles rather than putting pressure on bones (seriously wtf kind of exercise would you have to be doing to pressure you fucking bones lmao)

bitch oviously became a doctor in the 60s when you could waltz in the door and say you had a degree, and they'd fucking believe you because they themselves were probably on acid

Your uncle probably has osteoporosis. Get adequate calcium and don't be old and you should be fine.

Not every doctor is a master of every area of medicine, and that is especially true in the world of fitness due to the overwhelming amount of outdated info, pseudoscience, and outright bullshit that people wanting to learn have to slog through to learn anything.

And aside from that, use your brain OP: How are pullups supposed to impact your height? Does the strain on your arms and shoulders cause the vertebrae in your spine to magically merge together seamlessly, bringing the rest of your body in line with it too? Or do your femurs shorten from the strain of dangling in the air?

women weren't allowed be to doctor's in your grandma's time, she probably doesn't know shit

My grandma is only 52.

that means either you're underage b& or both your mother and gradmother are utter whores once again meaning your grandma doesn't know shit

Come say that to my face, you fucking poofter

here. I've taken a great deal of courses prior to entering medical school, some more in depth than those taken in medical school (specifically Immunology and Genomics & Proteomics). I attend the University of Washington Medical School which is the bet medical school in the nation. I gotta tell you that, you're kinda wrong. You don't fuck around in your 11 year long education. Everything that you will need to know about weight lifting, exercise, diet, etc. will be covered within your first year of the four years you will be attending Medical School. Being a doctor isn't just going in and dicking around. It's serious stuff in which you have to know essentially every single part of the body in detail. Hell, even the unbelievably simpler Nursing programs have quite a bit of knowledge simply due to the Anatomy and Physiology prerequirement. Doctors know their shit (at least if you're going to a decent medical school).

>grandma is a doctor
>had kids when she was like 20

Lol nahhh

that's generous by far. if the grandma had kids at 20, that would mean the daughter would have kids at like, 18 which is again, young. meaning OP is 14 years old. again, having kids and going to medical school isn't going to happen anyway. either OP is like 10-15 years old, or the story doesn't add up.

Is your uncle Cotton Hill by any chance?
Did he get his shins blowed off by a Japan man's machine gun in WW2?

Otherwise i call bullshit on every single part of yours story. At this point i doubt you even have a grandmother