Advice for new runners?

Hi Veeky Forums.
For a pretty long period of my life I was unhealthy and gained a lot of weight.
I've recently changed up my diet and began going to the gym. But I still struggle with running, my legs hurt about 1-2 minutes into a run and it makes it painful to do any sort of actual cardio
I'm 5'11 and 220
pic unrelated

fatty here
Download a C25K App on your phone.
Don't feel bad if you have to repeat Weeks when you're starting out. Week 4 is a sharp increase in difficulty, but you can do it. Or just repeat Week 3 or 4 until you can do Week 4.
Eat some kind of carb and drink water beforehand.
Also STICKY.

Eat the pain, bro. It's going to suck for about the first two months or so until your legs get used to it. Static stretch your calves, quads, and joints before you sleep. Dynamic warm up before running. Drink lots of water. Learn to love doing planks, they help a lot with running.

Here's my unwanted running advice. Unless you're really into running consider taking up a sport you actually want to be good at. Running is boring as shit. I try to keep it to a 5k run once a week. Aside from that, I get my cardio from Judo.

try water running or high cadence biking, you can't go from couch potato to runner overnight, you've got to lose weight build connective tissue and improve facial tissue first

Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% a month. Most people do too much, too fast and get injured.

Drink lots of water and eat lots of food. Emphasis on carbs.

Go to a running shoe store to get your shoes. Not fucking Payless,Dicks sporting goods, or some shit. Running g store employees are trained to identify what shoe works best for the individual. It is worth it. Trust me.

Warm up and stretch before running. You'll thank me later.

Find other people to run with. It will keep you motivated.

>cardio

shoo shoo

This is pretty good adv imo.

>Running is boring as shit.
this

practice good form early rather than later

The pain is due to lactic acid. As you run more frequently and your leg muscles get used to higher endurance training, the pain will subdue, but if you're brand new, you just kind of have to live with it.

Basically, this: >t. also used to be 220, ran a shit ton + diet, now 145.

It might be boring, but if you have the oppurtunity to do it outdoors its another thing. i think more of it in terms of meditation. you can focus on thoughts, clear your mind, plan shit and so on. or listen to music. and by that i mean actually LISTEN to it, not just having it as background noise. time flies by extremely fast and you feel a kind of body-reset.

This, six gorillion times. Don't stride too far and try to land each step directly underneath your body. If your shins hurt, it's not because you worked your muscles. It's because you're getting shinsplints and you're well on your way to getting fucked and hating running

>take it slow, like real slow. Start out with a mile or two at a time and build from there. The 10% a month rule an user mentioned is a pretty good benchmark
>practice good form
>STRETCH holy shit please stretch or you will permanently fuck your shit up. Dynamic stretching preworkout, static stretching post workout
>hydrate
>run in the morning or in the evenings when it's cooler
>don't get frustrated because you're not fast. Build distance first, then speed.

Good luck my dude

If you feel you need to repeat a couch to 5k week consider doing similar timings on a bike (stationary or otherwise) for a week or two instead, if you're fat it can be worth doing something that doesn't have as much impact on joints to allow them to recover.

>Go to a running shoe store to get your shoes. Not fucking Payless,Dicks sporting goods, or some shit. Running g store employees are trained to identify what shoe works best for the individual. It is worth it. Trust me.
Better and cheaper tip: get a couple of different pairs of running shoes. One pair may be more cushioned at the heel, another at the toe, and another may be more cushioned or less cushioned overall. Cycle through these and you'll be way less likely to have any stress issues plus the shoes last longer.

Running will fuck up your knees if you are really heavy. Diet down first so your knees don't take such a beating.

In terms of actual running, its like anything else. Apply progressive overload and make sure you get enough rest.

so what's it feel like to never get a runner's high, fuccbois

what is that even?

euphoria

Don't ever breathe through your mouth only through your nose

Running is not easy to get into. I used to run six miles a day, five days a week, on top of pretty intense and dedicated Muay Thai training. I ended up with an injury that prevented me running for some time, but I was able to slowly rehab myself and get back into martial arts. When I decided I was healed up enough to get back to running, it was just like I started all over again. Calves burning, shinsplints, etc., even though I can go all day in the ring, it still takes your body a long time to get used to the physical requirements of running regardless of how in shape you are. As long as you aren't experiencing pain from injury, just deal with it, and within a month or so your body will get used to it and it won't be painful to run anymore.

I recommend to try biking instead. Its much easier on your joints and I found that even when I was a fatty I was able to go for long 40 mile plus rides. I lost like 40 lbs last summer even with a shitty diet.

Where do you even buy decent bikes for cheap? Last time I looked at this website for bikes they were thousands of dollars.

There is a very popular misconception that running is bad for your joints. This goes hand-in-hand with the myth that the RICE formula for dealing with sports injuries is proper, when it's not, it's actually counterproductive and causes injuries to heal slowly and sometimes incorrectly causing chronic issues.

Using your joints, especially joints like the knees that have fluid sacs in them is absolutely essential for their health. Cartilage does not have a direct blood supply, and so it gets its nutrients via the fluid sacs that pass them through the membrane to the joint surfaces.

If you do not put stress on these joints, nutrients do not make their way where they should as readily, and therefore they can become weak and more injury prone just from under use.

Use your joints. Go for a run. Have some impact, have some overloading, just don't injure yourself due to improper form and carelessness.

100% this, Couch to 5K is the gold standard for beginning running. I recommend the NHS version, it has better music.

Honestly this, running is great but sports make it so, so much easier to do cardio.
The best runners high I ever got was a 45 minute barefoot run on the beach, around 30 minutes it out of nowhere it started pouring rain. It was like pure joy surged through my body, it reminded me of a very light mushroom trip, I started laughing and threw my arms up and hauled ass even faster.

Go on youtube and watch multiple videos on the proper running form for the specific distance you intend to run.

Then go do it, and try to keep your heart above 120 BPM.

If you feel like you're going to die, ignore it. Keep running. Meditate out of the pain.

If you don't pass out unconsious you still had more to give.

t. White guy with a 4:32 mile and a 14:56 5K

I've never had runner's high. I just liked running early in the morning on a rural path with animals and shit, and looking and feeling good. Maybe my runner's high was 24/7.

False.

Inhale through nose. Exhale through mouth.

This. You need the proper levels of oxygen and nitrogen in your blood. It's not just about oxygen.

Not OP but another guy who just started running more.
What's a 5k time that's not total trash? I ran 4.5k in 22 mins the other day (didn't measure distance until now). Am I on the right track?

3 years experience before i started weight lifting

>run on grass
>run every other day, increasing your running time by 2 min every week.
>get shoes that fit you properly
>EAT and REST.
>When and if you get shin splints,take a 3 days rest, and in that time, walk instead of running
>STRETCH YOUR FUCKING LEGS AND FEET
>KEEP A STEADY CADENCE AS YOU RUN, TIME YOUR BREATHING APPROPRIATELY. FOCUS ON FORM.
>Proper footfall is upper-middle of foot

I've been struggling with shin splints for a long time and nothing seems to stop the pain. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Warm up and then stretch before you start doing any kind speed or distance. If you're just getting started running, it's going to happen no matter what.

How do I not get shin splints?

You can can a decent bike for a couple hundred bucks.

Look on /n/

You're already at about an average time for a healthy adult.

For runners anything below 20 minutes is good.

Once you're breaking 18 minutes you're probably nearing your fastest speeds.

You've got to get pretty exceptional to break 16 minutes.

every inexperienced runner gets them. it's from a lack of conditioning, i.e. your legs are too fucking weak/fragile to handle running for longer periods of time.

get ample and proper rest, slowly get back into running, and it will go away.

shoes that don't fit, running on concrete, improper form; all these contribute to shin splint pain.

Shin splints are good for you. The thing about them is you'll have to give them about 2 weeks to heal once they make it difficult for you to run. Difficult not as in it hurts, but difficult as in each step makes you want to cry.

Shin splints are micro-fractures. When micro-fractures heal the bone becomes more dense. More density will make shin splints less likely in the future.

The main thing is they will need time to heal. There have been cases of runners snapping their legs in half from over training.

Wait you're supposed to eat before running? I've been doing this for a while and I never eat beforehand

It doesn't really matter.

Shit, sometimes I go running on 2 days no food, and dehyrated from the previous night of heavy drinking. I even run while drunk sometimes.

It's all about how your body reacts and what kind of feeling you want to make your body have.

I'd say it's better to not worry about that stuff unless you feel exceptionally weak and dizzy while running.

More important to focus on increasing your VO2 max and building different muscle groups from your core down to your toes.

if i do that i dont get enough oxygen.
my way is breath in through both nose and mouth and exhale the same way.

What exactly happens when you breathe out through your mouth that doesn't happen when you breathe out through your nose?

I ballooned up to about 235-240, and I'm 6' so probably exactly where you're at. There might be some good replies, but I can tell you as somebody that actually went from that to being able to run miles and miles -if you aren't in good shape (no cardio conditioning) you're MUCH better off with a fast walk for 20-30 min a day for a month at least. Spending a hundred bucks on a heart rate monitor will get you really good results if you use it. Another good way to go is HIIT (High-intensity interval training). You just run for maybe 30 seconds as fast as you can and then walk for 30 seconds (the actual intervals can be different than that. Going that way is a massive calorie burner and it also contributes to increasing testosterone levels, which is going to give you all kinds of boost in the weight loss dept. If you're always running at your max effort then you're not going to be burning many fat calories, so whichever way you go you have to make sure you're not pushing yourself harder than you need to. A heart rate monitor is invaluable for measuring that.

As an avid runner, I will recommend against running unless you either:

A) genuinely love to run, and will pursue it as a sport or hobby.

B) running is a featured activity in your profession, i.e. law enforcement, military.

You may want to see a doctor about that.
It's slightly more delayed, humans don't absorb oxygen all at one time. It just gets a good rythym for absorbing more and more oxygen. You can even do 2 inhales through the nose then one exhale through the mouth for even more oxygen. Also you can inhale and exhale at the same time if you aren't legally retarded.

Go hiking through a very hilly area.

You'll build up your VO2 efficiency.