Grappling

Calling all martial arts fags on Veeky Forums

I want to start with martial arts in my routine, some kind of grappling. What style should I go with? There's plenty of clubs where I live. Should I do judo, BJJ or wrestling?
>BJJ - club is nearby and has good respected blackbelts as teachers. Sort of afraid of breaking my arms/kneecap. Almost no takedowns
>Judo - seems like a lot of fun and good exercise but doesn't seem to be a "martial art" in the sense that it probably doesn't work if your opponent doesn't wear a gi
>Wrestling - greco-roman club with good teachers, 6 miles away. Also afraid of concussions and/or breaking my neck

I really can't decide, some help please

>wrestling
GOAT, do it for 5 years then switch to BJJ

BJJ uses GI training primarily. Typically most places are going to have special non-GI days though.

Wrassling is a fine sport, but if your a typical no cardio fit guy, get ready to suck wind and die every practice for like a month.

>BJJ
This is easiest option if you are adult

This. Conversely, if you have weak grip strength, BJJ will cure that up for you real quick.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying BJJ is easier to learn or execute than Judo and Wrestling?

Well OP it depends. Do you want to do mma? If so then wrestling or BJJ. Rught away I'd suggest wrestling though, it's a great base to start with. greco Roman is cool but see if you can do catch or submission wrestling, or even freestyle. You can also drop by for a class and see for yourself which you'd like. Just come in with an open mind and focused on learning first she foremost.

t. Former collegiate wrestler, currently going to start BJJ in the next two weeks

BJJ
>you won't break anything if you're not a retard
>you will do some takedowns
Judo
>it does very without a GI, very easily
Greco
>no you won't get concussed
Try our a class at each one and see which you prefer. Consider atmosphere, training intensity, quality of coaching/training partners, competition record, qualifications of trainers, price. All else being equal the place that's closest to you is beat because you'll be less likely to skip training when you can't be arsed. But most important is how much you enjoy training there.

He means least strenuous because you won't ever get slammed. Although you will learn to breakfall doing the other two so it's not as bad as it sounds.

What do you want out of martial arts?
If you want self-defense, take wrestling or judo.
Judo works fine without a gi.
You won't break your arms/kneecaps if you tap.
You won't get many concussions in wrestling. You also won't break your neck there.

I'd go with wrestling because it has best teachers.
Otherwise judo, it's not as fun as it looks but it's the most "complete" of the three, especially if it's more traditional and not olympic-focused.

I think wrestling seems like the most fun out of the three but 6 miles is kind of far away (I don't have a car) and i've read somewhere that concussions are common and some old wrestlers are even punch-drunk.

Then do BJJ for a month and after that judo for a month and see what you like more.

Nah, you occasionally get stingers which are spinal, but I don't know any that got concussions and wrestlers tend to be short zippy guys, not palookas.

>a month
Try a year

Easier to train and execute. But it's very technical and hard to learn.

>a year
Try a lifetime

only if you're doing it right

OP here, I will try all three for a lifetime to see what suits me

>wrestlers tend to be short zippy guys, not palookas.
I'm 6'1 with kind of a slender frame, is this something to take into consideration

Does uchi mata work well vs wrestling low stance?

Nah it doesn't really matter, except the zippy part.

If you find a BJJ gym that teach self defence, and not competitive style, I'd go for that. BJJ is getting watered down and ineffective IRL because a lot of the technique they teach won't be good as soon as strikes and concrete floor is a part of the equation. Works for winning competitions though

I go to a MMA gym and they offer wrestling and bjj. In my experience wrestling is much better for the common man in a self defense situation.
Bjj is also great but you get to used to being on your back which is the worst case scenario in a fight.
In my opinion a mixture of both is necessary to be succesfull and well rounded as a fighter.(if thats you're goal)
At the end of the day its best to avoid a strret fight if at all possible and not risk injury to yourself or the other person.

>BJJ - afraid of breaking my arms/kneecap
Very unlikely. Closed guard jumping and most leg locks are prohibited for white belts anyway, and in case of armbars, just tap.
>Judo - it probably doesn't work if your opponent doesn't wear a gi
Adapt grips slightly, and 90% of it works just fine. Most Judo throws have a direct wrestling equivalent.
>Wrestling - afraid of concussions and/or breaking my neck
Excellent sport, but Greco-Roman wrestling does seem to have the highest injury rate amongst grappling arts.

If you're good with uchi mata you'll be able to pull it off in a scramble. Overhook and twist away with your overhooking hand in front of you or underhook and scoop them up with your hip.

>At the end of the day its best to avoid a strret fight if at all possible
yeah absolutely, I'm not looking for fights and have never been in a fight since I was like 14. But if you train a martial art you want it to "work" if you get what im saying

make sure you roll(spar) often then. If you go to a gym and they arent rolling everyday its a shit gym.

Train nogi BJJ, depending on your coach you might have a bit more wrestling thrown into the game. My coach has a huge background in wrestling so we'll have entire weeks based around wrestling.

That being said, if you plan on lifting while also training, and want to train for as long time as possible, BJJ in general does the least damage to the body. Judo's constant throws and smashes will definitely fuck you up over time, and the grip fighting in gi BJJ and Judo will fuck with your hands.

Wrestling is just aggressive and hard shit, its insanely cool, and insanely difficult, but will also wreck your body like you've never felt. Especially if you're starting it a bit later.

BJJ intensity is kind of at your own pace and your rolling partner, if you're at a good school you should never be scared of getting seriously hurt in a live roll. Maybe some neck pain on the occasion, but your partners are there to look out for you and you them. If you compete though, your safety is 100% on you.

fuck you and fuck traditional

BJJ is only half of it. A good BJJ instructor will always let you know that. My gym offers Muay Thai in addition to BJJ for an extra $50.

Most times my instructor will point out what positions/guards/takedowns are feasible only in BJJ, and that you'll get your head pummeled the fuck in if you try it in a street fight.

Wrestling is kinda gay...so yeah it is perfect for you OP

>Judo
Zero ground fighting, pretty much just revolves around bringing your opponent down and that's about it. Had a bunch of fights/spars against long term judo practitioners and even only judging from their fighting stance they're going to get knocked out by any amateur boxer. Furthermore they barely know any ground fighting, and this is where the fun begins when they think they can win by taking you down

>Wrestling:
Good option but still not useful for your casual fight, again no ground fighting except for trying to get your opponent on his back according to the rules, fucking awesome for learning takedowns though. Had some fights against wrestlers and they toyed with me on takedowns like I was a trash bin, but except for that it's trash

>BJJ:
Pretty good compared to the rest, most realistic situation you're ever be fighting in nothing else I'd have to point out

Also, you're seriously not expecting to go full fight mode the first six months you're in any MA Gym, right? You won't get anything broken if you don't do stupid shit and injure yourself.

lol you'll get dunked on starting day one in wrestling, family. And that is why "sport" martial arts are superior to "2deadly4u" martial arts.

>eems like a lot of fun and good exercise but doesn't seem to be a "martial art" in the sense that it probably doesn't work if your opponent doesn't wear a gi

You're confusing Judo and BJJ

Judo is more practical for IRL

the best one is scholastic or freestyle wrestling for a BEGINNER.

it teaches the BASICS better than any other one; there's not a lot of non-transferable BASICS to other styles; there's not much you are going to learn that will be totally not usable in a street fight; there's not much you are going to learn that will be only applicable to wrestling

>avoid streetfight
ITT pussies who wasted their time with useless wrestling and muay thai when 2 years of BJJ make you literally untouchable in a fight vs anyone but another BJJ practitioner.

If you've no striking option, go for Wrestling.

BJJ fags will tell you theirs is superior, but Wrestling is where you build your toughness. It'll grind you the fuck out for a year minimum before you even begin to get used to it, but if you manage to withhold the pressure, you'll transcend mankind.

It goes like this: Wrestling > BJJ >>>> Judo

Rasslin is utterly useless on a street fight. You take someone down and then one?

BJJ is literally judo but focused on ground game instead of takedowns.

> get up in my guard bro!

You crack his skull on the curb and go to jail for murder or you sit on top of him and start punching him or if you did judo/bjj you can break his arm/leg/choke he while his friends are stabbing you with broken glass and knives and guns.

>utterly useless
Sure, if you're a wimp.

That's why I'd recommend it before Judo. The latter is useful but BJJ is miles ahead in terms of actual practical uses.

What's better?

A 10/10 bjj gym which will be GOAT for bjj but lacking in stand up/striking game.

or a 5/10 bjj and kickboxing gym which will make me more well rounded but is almost mcdojo.

>judo doesnt work without a gi

What did he mean by this??1?

So what striking discipline would you recommend?

10/10 bjj one, I went to a bad kickboxing gym and my punches/kicks sucked until I went to a half-decent boxing gym.

jesus fuck he got ragdolled like a sack of potatoes

Yeah, really smart, killing someone in a street fight. Rasslin! Why break their arm when you can just kill them?

I'm currently doing Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Boxing. My coach likes to implement stuff from Savate and self defense shit that will cripple someone in a life or death situation, even kill them if needed. Been doing it for a while too, so if I had to go with any out of all of these, prolly Boxing to start.

You won't run into many people who kick outside the gym and even less people who wrestle (if you're a Yuro like me, I mean). Boxing gives you the striking base, teaches you how to punch with your body and not with your arms. Transitioning from that to Kickboxing or Muay Thai is much easier than simply starting with those.

>IT'S USELESS!
>IT'S DEADLY!
Make up your mind, loser. Let those goalposts stand still.

So has the skinny guy any MA experience?

4 year MMA champion.

>teaches you how to punch with your body and not with your arms
In what world does that make sense to you? I'm trying to picture a man throwing his body at someone.

you're an idiot

There's zero point in doing any kind of striking art in this day and age, it's all about BJJ or maybe sambo, not sure about the latter, never tried it.

Been meaning to try boxing for a long while now. Don't feel safe anymore with just weightlifting. There's one called Wild Card near me, might go down there and check it.

Where the fuck do I train wrestling at a later age? I have a little competitive experience in it but I'm too old to wrestle in college. There's no structured practices near me aside from an MMA gym close to me that only does it every once in a while.

He is talking about using your full body when you punch

>There's zero point in doing any kind of striking art in this day and age, it's all about BJJ or maybe sambo
Care to elaborate. Why would it be useless

Holy fuck. What is the other guy? Wrestling champion?

All fights go to the ground and very few people can KO someone in the second it takes to close distance, just watch UFC.

What said.

Surely you're horsing around? That's the basis of everything that's stand up. Look at a collection of the greatest strikers in the UFC and compare them to those who are pure BJJ fags.

>Inb4 Khabib
He's a can crusher and a pull-out merchant, so don't go there.

Striking is essential. If you have the option to couple it with a solid BJJ and Wrestling base, even better, but I'll always take Striking over those two.

>Wild Card
As in Freddie Roach's Wild Card? Surely you're shitting me.

Be sure to post results

Where do you think you are?

They aren't going to understand what you're talking about m80. It's one of those fags that posts the "le faster velocity = le more energy = le better punches" and other variations of my speed is superior crap.

>Freddie Roach's Wild Card
Yeah, that's the one. After a quick google search I can see why you'd think I'm pulling your leg but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to combat sports. I assume that's a yes to trying my luck there.

No gi BJJ exists m8.

I don't think that guy was an "MMA champion"

The other thing to consider is doing shit slow and then doing it fast is better than the other way. Judo has aggressive and faster ground game (when they cover it), so you get the benefit of a better progression on that front.

Don't bother with that idiot.
Anyone who says a discipline of martial arts is useless in any aspect is a complete moron. Especially one that disregards "striking" in its entirety. Either a Russian moron or just a regular watered down moron.

Butthurt for losing to grapplers?

if you want to do martial arts and afraid of injuries i have some bad news

Stop RPing bud.

Fuck me. Go for it if you can afford it, assuming you're not just rusing me.

Except for Wrestling, I don't think I know any Martial Art that starts in a very aggressive way that I have actually tried on myself.

I might be wrong, I only fucked around with Judo for two months when I was a teenager. But everywhere I went they gave you a reasonably slow start in what concerns technique itself and a hard one on your cardio and getting used to the grind.

Point taken, lad.

Never lost to a grappler, so no. What the other lad said, you sound like a moron. An armchair """expert""" one at that.

hooked and cooked

That one dude kicked the other in the dick.

>play football for 15 years
>can run for 90+ minutes with no issue whatsoever
>try kickboxing for the first time at 22
>can barely get to the end of the class for the first month and a half
Can someone explain the reason behind this?

Literally just managed to get a lucky punch in the first seconds. Low percentile.

There's a lot of variation. Ime judo is very much more aware of its sport status.

Ground game is covered later most places (it's not a very large part of the sport but you stil need to know it) so it's often covered v quickly. Certainly relative to bjj. That's not to say that judo starts off more aggressive or faster and so on, you still have to cover certain skills.

It's a boringly common opinion I'm spouting here regards ground game, so ask around and you'll find others with similar thoughts.

>Russian moron

What've you got against us Russians, mate? We created Sambo which is like an actual combat version of BJJ because it actually includes lots of striking aside from all the grappling.

Grappling beats striking 90% of the time.

>have to resort to cherry picking to prove the worth of their "martial" art
Any untrained faggot can get lucky like that. You might as well play tennis or badminton to get reflexes and learn how to "punch with your whole body" without getting Parkinson's.

Did he died?

That was just terrible really.

He apologised, gave him space to see if he was hurt and then continued to wail on him.

Different kinds of cardio. Same happened to me, I used to play football in my teens and when I started Martial Arts I was pooped every day.

>L-Lucky!
Lol.

All my ground game is Wrestling and very basic BJJ. I lost interest in Judo a long ago, so I'm kinda of a dummy when it comes to its offence, especially in what concerns on the ground.

Plus, we've no Judo places around here that I know of. I'd gladly try it out.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I've a couple hours free, want me to dump my folder of people trying to wrestle and getting KTFO, both professionally and on the street?

Absolute statements like that only make you sound like an absolute chode, son. An armchair expert at that who never stepped foot inside of a gym.

1) If your previous webm proves anything it's that striking is useless even as a set up for a takedown, and that instead of a leg grab, the fighter who got knocked out should have used bjj instead of doing the same thing three times in a row.
2) The guy trying the takedown in the second webm is obviously untrained
3) If I start posting webms of successful throat strikes will you agree that it's a viable technique?

>that little monkey shuffle at the end
Fucking love old man Henderson

>I've a couple hours free, want me to dump my folder of people trying to wrestle and getting KTFO, both professionally and on the street?
Not him but please do. I'm especially interested as someone who recently started boxing

did an armchair expert cuck you while you were training marshul arts because you seem to be awfully defensive about that

Ever been slammed on concrete by a wrestler? There's a reason MMA champs are wrestlers first with good BJJ defense. Being on top in a real fight matters, especially when it's on concrete or some other hard surface.

He's quite obviously b8ing you retards. No one who is even mildly into martial arts will say stupid shit like that. Stop replying. It's like do you see this Do you? He's not even arguing, he's just blatantly shitposting. Ignore him and move on.

Both of you post as much of this shit as you like.

You punch him in the face.

I know but its an excuse to post fight webms.

I'm the one who posted that and I was lurking before that. I actually think that you can be a good grappler with any grappling sport and that striking is more important in a self defense scenario at least.

how about we don't encourage this and just go back to the original topic? you have a couple guys here who are trolling and a couple guys who are willing to shit up the thread with non-stop webms to prove a point

The tripfag made a point that no martial art is useless.
The user b8r is not only saying a martial art is useless but that a whole discipline of martial arts are useless (striking).
Do you honestly find a point of continuing this feud and that people should bother replying and killing this thread with pointless arguing?

I agree on wrestling.

It goes pipe bomb >>>> track and field (running is the most important) >>>> striking (boxing and muay thai) >>>> grappling (wrestling and bjj).

Hey, WMMA doesn't count