CARDIO GENERAL /cg/

ITT: We talk about our favorite cardio routines, or at least the ones we hate the least.

Also, I'm in a bit of a pickle cardio-wise myself. I used to think cutting was gay so for the past 8 months straight I've done nothing but bulk and have put on a considerable amount of both muscle and fat. The problem is, wife and I are going to Cuba to see her family in exactly 2 months and she wants me to shed the fat but keep the gains. What's the best cardio routine for burning as much fast as possible in 2 months? Thanks brothers.

Other urls found in this thread:

military.com/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness-requirements/marine-corps-fitness-test
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sounds like you've gained a considerable amount of fat - 2 months is not a long enough period of time to cut down without losing significant muscle mass. I don't get why people don't cut once and clean bulk indefinitely.

Because I'm retarded and hate cardio with a passion. I guess I can afford to lose a little muscle mass in the name of slimming down. Do you know of any good programs that would work well in 2 months?

Can you guys please reassure me that my stamina gains wont completely collapse from taking ONE day off my regular schedule?

I work out three days a week, running 12k in 1:30:00 and i just feel like sitting it out today because my neck is killing me and i got a new vidya.

Yeah it's called running
Swimming would be even better
Pretty crazy huh

Studies show that it takes a minimum of one week for cardiovascular ability to decrease. Two weeks and you start seeing major declines so one day off, your body will probably actually perform better on your next run

i dont run at all but i do bike commute 9 miles per day

this is what my return 4.5 mile trip is like (the opposite all downhill in the morning), i think that helps for cardio

:O thanks for the information.

FWIW I do cardio every other day, and I'm a hair faster than you are.

HIIT on Indoor rowing machine or jumping rope m8, that's the best way to keep gains while losing fat in my experience

Im trying to improve my 1.5 mile time by running faster. My record is around 12 minutes, is that good?

No

user...

How long have you been running?

Hmm pretty sure im almost sprinting. Do i need to be at 10minutes to be considered good?

7 mins is a a decent/good mile, so maybe 8 mins for a 1.5 mile

3 months i guess. 2-3 times a week because i swim and tennis

Well it say here military.com/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness-requirements/marine-corps-fitness-test that the minimum in military is 13:30 min so i figured im still good

this user doesn't run

I'm aushwitz mode and have been doing track for a few years, my 1.5 mile run is just under 8 minutes but that's elite athlete tier. If you can get below 10 you'll be above average below 10 is good

That's not bad, but I get the feeling you're ether new to running or overweight, maybe both.
I ran cross country so it's a little different for me, but I could do a sub 9 minute 1.5 pretty easily in high school. A good mile time would be about 6:30 if you aren't super serious into running so breaking 11 should be your goal, eventually getting at/past 10

Holy shit you're fast. How did you train for that?

Im not fat, just pretty new to running. I cant focus on it so instead im making my 1.5mi faster

I run a lot. The only way to get better at running is to run more.

Yeah thats what I thought. And most google search says the same

why ae you training 1.5? sf?

Nothing special really, i just dont have the time because i always get pulled at tennis or swimming

Fair enough. Keep your spirits up, I went from not being able to run 1.5 miles continuously and taking 15:00 to finish to doing it in 9 minutes in a little over a year. Just keep at it man.

Yeah, i think i need to alot more time on running really. Ill do more next week, and thanks nigga

burpee/shadowboxing faggot here :l

What's a good cardio routine? I run two times a week and I do around 10.5 kilometers a little under 1 hour, probably novice-tier, but how do I progress? Run longer? Or do I increase speed for some part of the distance?

Just try to run further/longer/faster than you did the week before. And don't run 1.5 miles every time you run. You need to get your mileage up and your stamina will skyrocket
Getting a 5k face training plan would help a bunch even if you never want to run a 5k

How do I run without injuring myself @ 100kg
Really want to start running regularly but it's hit or miss, I can't seem to get my form down and so end up with knee pain which screws up my squatting which is bad.

What are your goals?
Your time is pretty normie tier, it could be a lot better though. If you want to train a 10k then you'll have to start doing speed work, ie fartleks/two mile ladders/mile repeats/whatever. Eventually you want to set a race pace goal and while most runs will be slower than that, once a week you should push to that pace for your whole run if you can. Doing HIIT (basically sprints or quick laps up to 800m) is the best surefire way to increase stamina so if you aren't doing that then you should.

Honestly, without knowing your body comp, you probably need to lose weight if you want to seriously run.
What pace or distance did you try to run when you started and got knee pain? Was it first time out or after a week that it kicked in? What shoes did you run in?

Also didn't mean it to mean that you're fat, just that being over 200 pounds and running consistently or being able to be good at running is extremely difficult.

Well I don't really have hard-set goals, I guess running faster for this hour would be good. I do this recreationally to get to eat more food lel, nothing serious, but might as well do that well while I'm at it. I'll look into speed work, thanks.

That's alright you don't really need goals unless you have a race in mind. Was just wondering if you wanted to go faster or further or longer. Building up a solid base helps with all three, but speed work is the easiest way to get faster/leaner/and in better shape

Given that youre an idiot and youre onlly giving yourself 2months the most you can lose without significant muscle loss is 2lbs a week.

16-20lbs considering that your first 3 or 4 pounds always shed so easily. However this estimation is accounting for a perfect diet and that youre tracking every calorie as accurate as possible.

Literally perfect diet and cardio 2 times a week but still lifting 3 times a week. Jog some miles, incline walk, bike, jumprope. Just be consistent.

Probably around 17% bodyfat. It's kinda weird because I sprint just fine, it's when I go for 5k that my knees start hurting, and not always, when I run with someone else, I'm fine, when I ran in the winter on uneven as fuck ground I was fine, then a couple of weeks ago I ran literally 2km and next day my knees were in pain. Other time I remember jogging for 40 minutes before practice and my knees were fucked too, yet when I ran on the same track for the same time with a bro (maybe I ran slower) I was fine. Jumped for 10 minutes straight, was fine. I think I just sperg out when running by myself, like pay to much attention to the form and actually fuck it up.

Pain typically kicks in next morning or when I squat, I wear running shoes, they're soft but don't have a pronounced heel and I can consistently land on my toes/whole foot when I run.

Hmmm. Intredasting. What you could do if you think your form is really off is go to a running shop that will diagnose your form and tell you what shoes to get. They'll tell you how you strike, what looks off in your form,etc but you don't have to buy anything, just use the info to fix your form.
Pay attention to what you run on too. Going from not running to 5k on concrete especially at your weight is really tough. Also stretching before/after is really helpful. Look up stretch routine for runners knee as you're probably tight in either quads or it band

Also don't tell them you aren't buying anything. Pretend like you need a new pair of shoes so they'll go through the trouble of it, then just say you'll do some research at home and never go back

This got me fired up. Im tired of sports anyway, I will definitely run 5km next week

Man, I've gotten in and out of running so many times and as much as I love lifting, nothing will EVER beat the feeling of finishing a hard ass run knowing you ran the best you possibly could. Crossing he finish line with cheering crowds all around and someone waiting to put a medal around your neck will always beat crushing a PR in the gym for me

Any of you guys beaten the beep test before? How difficult is it? How often did you train for it?

>jump rope for 30 minutes for cardio
>recovering ambulocetus, finally got down to a weight that allows me to jump rope again without fucking my knees
>do 1 minute intervals with 30 second rests in between
>25 minutes in I'm dying
>last 1 minute
>"fuck that I can go another round"
>then another and another

Cardio is fucking based

Jancarlo, that you bud? Come play dotes sometime

Anyone else amazed by how well your body meters itself?

I always eat when I'm hungry, for like 1.5 years now I will sometimes I binge a literal 2500 calories at the end of the day like maybe weekly, sometimes I run 0 miles a week and sometimes 25 miles a week, and I never attempt to measure calories in or out, so like the variance in both of those must be pretty huge but I've never been outside of 157-163 lbs.

Fucking wild. Really makes me wonder about whether or not genetics and self control is a legit thing because I demonstrably have no self control in most other parts of my life.

I've been to a running training session already. I think when I'm alone I try to apply what I've been taught on the seminar, apply it wrong, and end up running too fast. When I'm with someone else I just run more naturally.

Also my quadratus lumborum acts up when I run.

simply maintaining a decent level of fitness over the entire life is enough for brain insulin/leptin sensitivity and low body weight set point that makes it almost impossible to become fat. you either unconsciously fidget or get nauseous and have to force overeating.

the problem is the amount of lazy idiots who would die attempting a sub 20 minute 5k

You don't need cardio to shed bodyfat. It helps but it's not necessary.
Just eat less and keep lifting

If i can walk leisurely pace and hit a mile and half in 20 minutes, you need to run faster.

It's pretty amazing, but you have to have good eating habits already engrained for it to work, e.g. eating only when hungry like you. Fat people have many problems with such regulations, like leptin/grelin levels, bigger stomachs and shit. You have to keep eating healthy and workout for some time to truly understand how it works.

sounds more like losing weight first would be better.

Swimming is the best cardio

For me, after about 40 minutes of running i start to zone out and my breathing starts to get shallow, and my muscles start to hurt, then i remember to breath deeply and the pain goes away... weird

I turn into a running zombie... also i have to remember to drink water, water helps with cramps...

In what standard is not having a sub 20 minute 5K mean you're lazy? I'd bet over 90% of the population in Poland couldn't do it

a non-shit one? i'd bet over 99% of the population there doesn't even meet the laxed public health guidelines for diet & exercise either

I started doing interval trainings on treadmills a few weeks ago and they're amazing for losing body fat. I usually do 10 rounds of 30 sec of running/60 sec of walking and walk for 5 minutes both at the start and at the end of the session.

>tfw I want to get get into running but flat feet

if I could get surgery done on my feet so that my arches don't die every time i run for longer than 10 minutes I would. I've tried so many things and I think I'm just going to have to stick with biking and swimming

Could I do PPL and 2 days of 20min cardio a week? Would I just have to eat more?

What kind of underwear should I use for running? I just started and most of my boxer briefs keep riding up my crotch.

Breifs are based. I just started wearing them a month ago, before that I was a boxerfag

Navy here,
The min for the military is 13min because of the fatties who can barely make it won't get kicked out for failing a physical.
12min is below average/meh
10-11 is good/ok
8-9 is excellent
6-7 is outstanding

This is how they grade you in the military. Imo 12 is pretty bad, means your out of shape for a 1.5 mile run. 10 is ok/average.

Get orthotics fitted from a physio or a sports doc

I'm 195lbs at 6' and want to cut down to 165. I walk ~6hrs a day from this new job and eat about 1,200-1,500 calories a day, is that enough to reach my goal or do I need to do more? Also, is that Myfitnesspal app accurate as far as calories, macros, etc?

Is indoor bicycle a good exercise ?
Fucking hate jogging

Not as effective as jogging. Its summer, why not just go biking outside?

Don't listin too the other guys it's not a great time but it's not too bad either.

I usually run 2 miles at about 7:30 per mile

I want to be able to run marathons with my dad. Can someone recommend me a training routine?

I just want to make him proud, bros.

If you have no running experience and are in reasonable shape try the c25k then the 5k to 10k programs to get started.

>running 12k in 1:30:00
you barely have stamina gains, don't worry lol

>Do you know of any good programs that would work well in 2 months?
not eating?
you need to be on some /thin/ shit, like eating only protein and some veggies at a big deficit if you want to cut a lot in 2 months
2bh I don't think cardio is what you want
you aren't gonna be able to build up enough skill running or whatever quickly enough for a workout to be more substantial than just eating less, and you probably would prefer to lift rather than run when you are working out, because you'll have less energy to spare and be more tired
I mean running is great (as is other cardio) but it can't and shouldn't be your primary weight-loss method

>pretty sure im almost sprinting
>1.5 mile time
>record is around 12 minutes
great high schoolers run 15+change minute 5k's, decent ones run sub-18 minute ones. you aren't sprinting, you're just complacent
the military minimums are what they are so fuckups can slide under nominally rigorous standards

haha wtf, are you serious?