Why is Madcow called 5x5 when you only do 1x5? Warm up set doesn't count!

Why is Madcow called 5x5 when you only do 1x5? Warm up set doesn't count!

Yeah it's really 1x5, 1x3 on Fridays. But the middle sets aren't just warm-up: they're close enough to 5RM to give you more volume. I really love it: enough volume & intensity to make gains, ramped enough to recover between workouts.

What are the basics of Madcow? Im on SL now and is about to change in about 1 month

Similar exercise selection as SL. Ramped up sets. Weekly progression. On friday you up the weight for a set of 3 and then do a backoff set of 8, and on monday you keep doing sets of 5 with the new weight from friday. This is for the squat, bench and rows. Wednesday you do some "light" squats and then progress on the press and deadlift.

I'm not sure about deloading. I think if you get stuck it's recommended to reset the program by introducing your new lifts on the spreadsheet.

Is Madcow better than nsuns 5/3/1?

Madcow is the worst intermediate routine ever written

nobody should run it, and if you do run it and somehow manage to make gains you would have made more gains on anything else

so nsuns 5/3/1 i guess

Nigger if you want to do a fuckin real man's intermediate program and make some god damn gains do texas method

isn't TM lacking in volume?

for bench press, yes
for squats, it's adequate volume but distributed poorly
for deadlift, yes

TM is good to milk the last of your linear gains but if you want sustainable long term progress look elsewhere, and if you want bench gains (unless you're just genetically gifted at bench) also look elsewhere (or at least run TM for squats, something else for bench)

anything works as long as you eat enough food

arnold schwarzenneger golden 6

5/3/1 is for someone who has finished making gains on TM or madcow

Why would you want to do 25 reps at working weight in a program designed to be performed immediately following a beginner program that features 15 reps or fewer at working weight? 5x5 at working weight is for dyels

Anyone ever run Madcow on a cut? I'm doing TM right now but running it on a cut seems like it would be shitty

people are retarded. madcow is a shitty program.

>But the middle sets aren't just warm-up: they're close enough to 5RM to give you more volume
only the second last set. the others are way too easy to do shit
>enough volume & intensity to make gains
DYEL?

no, its not. this is an old meme. although youre intended to progress slow on 531, the actual program is nowhere near anything an advanced lifter would do.

because you need to do more to actually get better instead of just peaking?

do any decent intermediate program but cut down on the volume if it feels like too much

madcow and tm are both pretty shit for anything

5/3/1 has even slower progression than TM or madcow. The average early intermediate should be making progress way faster than 531 allows for.

indeed, but increasing the weights by exactly 5 pounds every cycle isn't really written in stone. you can do more and the amraps make the progress pretty much linear

Stop riding Rippetoe's cock

Stop posting this pic cause it's retarded.
>Squat and Bench on Mon, Clean and Dead on Wed, Front squat and CGBP on Fri
It's still one lift per week, retard

no way

>milk the last of your linear gains

Well if this samefag hates it then Madcow must be pretty good, I'll give it a try.

>5/3/1 has even slower progression than TM or madcow
this is meme

What's a good intermediate that focuses on upper body? Squat is just fine but my OHP has yet to break 100 pounds.

Go away, Ripetard.

>not doing texas method for powerlifting

I would't change programs for fear of detraining. Most other programs, including Madcow are, simply put, easier than TM, and an easier program combined with a calorie deficit makes you weaker. At least this is what happened to me.

So is there an accepted decent intermediate program? I challenge you fuckers to come to some sort of agreement.

how are you intermediate if you can not OHP 100? Are you a woman?

Texas method for powerlifting

How come? A serious question

There are lots of versions of TM that bench heavy twice a week, and they're all in the book.

Focus on ohp, by doing one strength and one volume day.

just do TM faggot be a real man

Figure out what helps you put on weight in your lifts. Do that and distribute the volume across the week.

For example - my bench will not go up unless I'm doing pressing work at least 3 times a week. I bench twice, strict OHP once, and push press with my cleans.

For squat, I have better progress back squatting twice a week, front squatting once.

Deadlifts, I have a hard time progressing on anything other than doubles or triples. Most times I'm doing a set of 1x3 and working on my weak spots elsewhere (grip, lats, etc).

Cleans/Snatches are fun as fuck, so I include a fourth day to work on these when I'm fresher.

Now I have a decent idea of what I want to do, I just periodize it based on what works best for me (in terms of volume and recovery) over the course of a week/2 weeks/month.

This desu
Anyone who hurr durr Texas method is too hard :(((( is a fuckin pussy

I tried pretty much all the intermediate programs, even tried German volume training ( don't do it)

Texas method gave me consistent gains. Volume day is hell and takes forever but but other than that it's great v

Everybody thinks that you are progressing only when your 1rm increses, but it's not true. If your 5rm becomes 8rm you are progressing too. That's why you can progress on 5/3/1 every time you train the lift. Every training session you can break your personal record (or can't - it depends on you).

>even tried German volume training ( don't do it)
why? I had some great gains on it, if I remember correctly

>Monday
>squat 5x5
>bench 5x5
>pendlay rows 5x5

>Wednesday
>front squat 5x3
>ohp 5x5
>chin-ups 5x5

>Friday
>squat 1x5
>bench 1x5
>deadlift 1x5

rate my TM pls

Any recommendations for a workout program? Started working out more than a year a go,reached 1/2/3/4 in about 7 months and stopped.Would love to workout 4 days a week.The only program i know atm is 5/3/1.Would it be good enough?

Wtf is wrong with madcow kunts

Doesn't TM move you up 5lbs/week on lifts just like Madcow? Why should I switch to a routine that does the same shit?

>he think that routine does progress, not athlete

Adding to this user's post:

5/3/1 is about breaking PRs all the time so that lifting doesn't get boring, just like the flexibility it gives you in choosing accessory movements. You set goals for your training max and weekly AMRAP sets and PR with them and make consistent, good progress that you can measure which then translates into improving your real 1RM.

Power clean on Wednesday, it's fun and helps with grip

Do curlz whenever ur equip is occupied.

Do 30 min steady state cardio each time. It's dumb to spend so much time in a gym and still be athletically inert

thanks