QTDDTOT - Nobody Here Lifts edition

So I hit 145lbs flat bench last week. 135 am 140 went smooth, only a little struggle, but not much. Well, 145, I'm struggling hard. Like it got really really hard. Is this normal for weight progression as it gets larger, or are form flaws just now becoming apparent?

I can knock the first set out with some struggle, but find myself failing on the 4th rep of the next set, and the 3rd of the one after that. Help!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UUBd9X7aHSI?t=30
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Isn't +1lb/week (+2 kg/month) a bit much for bulking? How fast should an intermediate bulk?

Full disclosure I only bench my body weight (175 lbs)
I was in a similar situation when I finally hit 1pl8. I did pyramids.
Basically do your warm up sets with reps of 8, then do 1pl8 for 6, and then try 150 for 3. Your "peak" of the pyramid should be really close to your 1rm. Then work your way back down.
It helped me pass that plateau but now I'm stuck at my body weight bench ayyy

If I follow a program without bulking will my lifts increase?

if i've eaten well below my target calories for the day on a cut, but was supposed to do cardio that day, is it fine to skip cardio if i don't feel like i can get the rest of my food in? sometimes i only eat 1200-1500 calories in a day, and my goal is 2300, but i also do an hour of cardio most days. i peddle 16-18 miles depending on my pace, and i burn between 600 and 900 calories in that hour depending on which calculator i use and how my pace varies. i don't want to lose more muscle than necessary, but sometimes it's super late and i feel like i couldn't keep down any more food if i tried.
maybe you're doing too many warm up sets or not resting long enough between sets. what are your calories like?

2300, which is 300 above maintenance. It's slow, I know, but I don't wan to have to cut big time, I want a slower bulk for a quicker cut.

So I'm pet sitting and can't go to the gym for 3 weeks. What can I do to still stay Veeky Forums?

Dom?

This is the third number I've gotten slipped to me in the past month - this time in my car door (I drive a supra, people know it's me).

I work at a people oriented place and have lots of admirers (unfortunately). Is there a free, tard-proof way to screen numbers BEFORE calling? I just don't want to text one of the creepy gay men or hamplanet glam-rock looking girls that I think it might be.

Google it

I tried, I typically get a bunch of scammy "number lookup" sites but it does tell me the number originates in my town at least.

rest a bit longer between sets and try to sleep more.

Just call it, what's the worst that'll happen?

How long would you say is a good rest time? Between 3-5 minutes?

The worst is it'll be ANOTHER FAT GIRL I have to turn down, or it'll lead on yet another gay stalker. Don't get fit, it's a trap

For strength training? Yep. Your muscles replenish pretty much all of their ATP in 3' and you SHOULD be able to catch your breath soon after that.

It matters less for size training. Because of that, and the higher volume, lots of people rest even less when size is the goal.

Can I get good ab gains if all I do is use an ab wheel and stomach vacuum? Of course lifting and doing other things but just those two exercises specifically for core?

Probably obvious, but when i go on a cut, will my biceps also look more defined? They're definitely bigger since i started lifting, but no real 'sharpness' to them. Id say im 15-20% bf

Im 5'7 161lbs, still bulkan

what workout bench would you guys recommend for home?

The only way to get visible abs is to DIET.

If you're lifting heavy and compound you probably don't need extra ab work, but if you WANT it, pick one thing a workout and do it at the END of the workout (if you're on a split do it on leg/back day). Ab wheel > stomach vacuum.

?

Yes.

Don't get a bench like pic related. Get a power rack, or squat stands with safeties, and use a flat utility bench inside it for your bench pressing and other needs. Get an Olympic bar and plates. Then use a good program or a site like exrx.net to find exercises for your different body parts that use the barbell. Trust me, that plan will take you farther and get you more gainz than a meme bench like that with a standard 1'' bar and plastic plates.

Go choke on dog dick

im 5'11 and i weigh 141 lb
i used to go the the gym 6 times a week but thanks to responsibilities i had to stop and now i only go in saturdays and sundays, ive lost most of my gains and i cant change my routine at the moment
can i gain muscle slowly working out 2 times a week if im on a calory surplus or should i just continue like this until i can go to the gym 6 times again?

I've been working on my diet. I've lost about 5-10 lbs over almost three months now. My abs are coming in but I've always had a gut that sticks out. I'm noticing the ab wheel and vacuums are really helping me keep my stomach in. I never really did ab exercises and my core has been pretty weak because of that I think.

Redpill me on exceeding macros plz

thanks a lot, friend. I really appreciate it

Are there any gyms in the Phoenix, AZ area that don't charge out the ass for a membership?

I am on the fat side, I used to be able to bench press 1 of myself and I probably will have to work up to that again. Work has been so busy for me this past year that I was not able to work out.

The only things I see in the area is LA Fitness, Planet Fitness, and Mountainside Fitness. LA Fitness and Mountainside Fitness are both too expensive for me, I could afford Planet Fitness but I've heard bad stuff about them.

how do i exercise (the full range of) my calves with compound movements?

Snatch, Clean & Jerk, ass to grass Front Squats.

is there a 4 day split which would allow me to lift, or could be modified, on the following days

x x o x o o o
m t w t f s s

Why is OHP progression so slow?

Because you're not doing it enough. OHP uses the fewest and smallest muscles of all the four major compounds. Add shoulder accessories

>shoulder accessories
Would Ahnold press be a good accessory for OHP?

because it's mostly just a front delt exercise.

single leg calf raises to failure every day.
increase number of sets until they've grown to the size you want.

do them like this instead:
youtu.be/UUBd9X7aHSI?t=30

single arm they're nice too.

is this any good?
i'm an 18 year old male and i plan on working out at home since i'm too poor to pay for a gym
i'm kinda new to this board and don't know shit about working out so i could do with some help

Upper/Lower. Use Lyle's Generic Bulk or AWorkoutRoutine.com's Muscle Builder.
> xxUxLUL
or
> xxLxULU

push-ups, pull-ups (find a bar to pull up on in your neighbourhood, or buy one you can put in your doorframe), and core exercises (planks, crunches, leg raises) can be good.

don't do X reps of something, just do as many reps as you can with good technique.

for conditioning, just going for a run is gonna be better than doing jumping jacks, high knees, or whatever.

don't do chair dips, they're hard on the shoulders.
push-ups with a medium-narrow grip are better.

hill sprints

not full range of motion

not composite

how about both of you fucking retards get some reading comprehension?

thank you based user
btw should i do lots of things 1 day or dedicate a day for each thing (and doing more of each, of course)?

oh, i know what compound means.
but that doesn't mean that that's what the user should get as answer.

oh, the other user was right btw.
olympic lifts do use the calves through full range of motion.

hill sprints are a good suggestion.

maybe not call everyone a retard.

start with training each body part twice a week and adjust from there.
so pull-ups twice a week, push-ups twice a week.
it's fine if you do both on the same day.
make it fit your schedule.

thank you very much

Is it really hard for me to "bounce" when squating with heels shoulder widht apart. I'm more confortable with heels hip width apart, and it lets me put more weight since i can "bounce" properly. However i've been feeling some pain in my lower leg.
What should i do?

post a video

Any swimmers here? I just recently got into it and frankly I don't know where I'm supposed to be sore during freestyle. 90% of the time i feel it in my lats/traps/rhomboids

I went and calculated my TDEE, and it says it's high 2000s, like 2800 or something. I feel like I eat less than that daily, yet I've actually gained a pound or two lately. Is that total wrong, or am I eating more than I think?

Benching seems stupid when I think about the muscles it works, according to Arnold's modern guide to bbing... Went do it exactly? Seems crap as far as compounds go

you're either underreporting caloric intake, or not accounting for condiments/grazing/liquid calories, or alternatively overreporting/overestimating activity/leanness

wat

I mean why bother with bench press when other movements hit the areas affected, better, and other exercises build your core more effectively.

because it's one of the basic human movements: horizontal push.
muscles naturally work together, not in isolation.
it's the most efficient way to stimulate muscle and strength gains in the chest, triceps and front delts.
it's a tried concept: build strength and size with big compounds, then finish it off with isolation exercises.

you can replace it with other exercises.
which ones were you thinking about?

I'm trying to lower the amount of carbs I eat but not eliminate it entirely, is it better to have carbs in the morning or the afternoon? Usually in the form of brown rice or cauliflower rice.

What was that psychologist/author/whatever who talked about masturbation fantazies that are not sex (like a bj or a handjob) wasn't good or something? I think the guy had a slavic name

bring your pet to the gym

I get hungry in between my classes and I tend to make bad food choices I'm the food court.

I was thinking of packing some hard cheese and summer sausage (and maybe nuts?), Could you guys reccomend me any good brands? I'm trying to cut

Pushup, ohp, basically just the isolations

>I get hungry in between my classes
eat a better breakfast and lunch.
less sugar, more fiber, more protein, etc.

eat a piece of fruit between classes,

those aren't isolations, or did you mean something else?
push-ups and overhead presses are great, but they're not gonna build a big chest.
you either need weighted push-ups (difficult to load) or weighted dips for that.

My breakfast is usually 2 eggs, one sausage, and wheat toast with jam.

Should I go bigger? Or should I eat more fiber than protien in the morning?

>should I go bigger

Dude that's like 400 calories maximum, yes go fucking bigger.

get whole wheat, and don't use jam (it's basically flavoured sugar).
try going bigger and see if it helps.
just try a few different things and see what works best.
(add some tomatoes and/or mushrooms, or a piece of fruit, add whole wheat bread with low-fat cheese, blabla)

I'm trying to count calories to lose weight but I had to know

Which website provides the best BMR/TDEE calculator? Because I'm getting different numbers from multiple sources

I even used that fancy InBody scale and it told me my BMR is around 1852, bit that seems low comparative to other website calculations

I don't know who to trust!!

maybe try thinking.

they're all just guesses.

pick one, eat at that, adjust intake based on weight gain/loss.

Use the one in the sticky.

I need ideas for my leg day so far I have
3x8-12 Romanian Deadlift

3x8-12 Dumbbell Goblet Squats
I have 2 20 pounds dumbells and a bench with some weight but no where to squat :(

how much time should i be spending at the gym this summer? on a daily/weekly basis

Nope. Generally speaking 1-2lbs of weight gain or loss, per week, should be your target. Exceptions are for really fat like obeast people.

Cut to abs. Spend a week or two at stable weight, then bulk til they go away. Stabilize for a week or two then cut again. Etc. NEVER let yourself get fat-fucked.

Depends on how fat and untrained you are, and what kind of program it is. The leaner you are, the more trained you are, the harder it is to gain strength on diet or without gaining weight. Also, if you're on a peaking program of low reps, some of the strength gained is neurological adaptations so that is possible, but if you're talking about getting your 8RM up, that is harder without gaining weight.

you can db snatch, db walking lunges, db clean the weights then front squat them, do step-ups, do skater squats holding dbs, etc.

if you are a newb then 45-60 min a session, 3x a week, is really good for a beginner strength program. you can jog or bike a couple of times a week outside the gym.

just count the calories, weigh yourself, and watch the mirror. if you see a trend in weight change over 7-10 days, adjust the diet by +/-500kcals. Your experience should be your guide as those calculators are not fantastic. Generally speaking 1-2lbs of weight gain or loss, per week, should be your target. Exceptions are for really fat like obeast people. Cut to abs. Spend a week or two at stable weight, then bulk til they go away. Stabilize for a week or two then cut again. Etc.

How do I get rid of the bulge in my pants? I can't help it, I just pack my shit in my underwear and then it sits on the right side of my pants, visibly.

Happens in pants 1 size too big even. All it does is turn gay men on, I want to die

compression shorts over underwear, and tuck between your legs. that's what i do, and it usually works well.

>just pack my shit in my underwear
That's the problem. You're supposed to flush your shit down the toilet, not put it on the right side of your ass inside your tighty whiteys.

No wonder the poop-eaters and fudge-packers get turned on.

Lately I've been feeling some pain in the area around my wrists on the majority of my lifts, is it a consequence of increasing the weights or something else? it's been 2 weeks since it started and its starting to get annoying.

I try this but my balls cause it to "pop" back out

high quality 5th grade humor my dude

My traps are hella asymmetrical, what do I do?

Current skelly/avid runner here

I'm trying my hardest to make gains as a skelly, but I'm finding that eating enough food is more difficult than it sounds. I really love to run and incorporating that into my work out plus trying to bulk and eat enough food there just simply isn't any way I can do all that while getting enough calories. What should I do?

How long should each phase of Starting Strength last on average?

Kroc rows build strong traps. Pic related.

Liquid calories. Post-lifting shakes. Maybe a shake before bedtime. When dehydrated after runs, a sugary soft drink for a couple of hundred kcals and some carbs to replace what you've burnt off.

The first phase is only until the deadlift form looks good and you've added enough weight to put it well ahead of your squat (hint, you don't start with the bar and add 5lbs a session, that's another program, the ripoff of SS). It could take a couple of weeks. The second phase is only until the power clean form looks good, which probably is a couple of weeks or so. The third phase, which includes the alternating pull/chin-ups, the back extensions and glute-ham raises, and the deadlifting and power cleaning each every fourth session, lasts ...
as long as it takes to milk your gains on sets of 5 (or triples for the power clean).
After those get to stalling out, which you should be trying to microload them btw, according to Practical Programming 3rd Edition, there are some rep changes to the presses and cleans and deadlifts, and light squats every Wednesday, that prolong this phase as long as possible before you should go to an intermediate program.
But seriously there's no clear-cut guideline for the third and fourth phases. The first two phases should be relatively quick, only a couple of weeks each if you're relatively coordinated, but the last two phases, the more genetic potential you have, the longer they will take, and the stronger you'll be before you change programming.

What's a standard 4 day routine look like?

Most online articles about lean bulking advise to eat 250-350 above TDEE on training days and maintenance on rest days. Is this the best way to do it?

Depends on what it's for.

For aesthetics, it would probably be an upper/lower split done ULxULxx. Look for Lyle's Generic Bulking Routine for a good example.

For powerlifting, there are a couple of approaches, a more intermediate approach is a split for Bench/Squat/Bench/Deadlift that schedules like an upper/lower but is more specific. Texas Method has a bunch of versions of splits in Practical Programming. Westside does this layout. Get the book Practical Programming for this kind of stuff. A more advanced approach like Sheiko has Bench or a variant every day, and alternates Squat and Deadlift each 2x/week. The /plg/ threads have discussion of Sheiko often.

For athletics, look in Practical Programming for the "Nebraska Model" or look for the pirate version of "Husker Power" their team workout for handegg players. It's a semi-split that does an Olympic lift every day, and some upper and lower every day, but has two days *mostly* legs and conditioning and two days *mostly* upper without conditioning, and has two heavy days and two lighter days.

For weightlifting, there'd be an Olympic lift each day (usually two), and probably squatting on three of the four days, alternating front and back squats, and lots of pulls and partial lifts. Go to Catalyst Athletics and look for their programs.

Yeah, but probably more than that in terms of kcals. Seriously you can do that by just making a big post-workout proton shake, and adding that to your diet after working out, and skipping it on rest days, and keeping your diet otherwise the same.

Bumpan

Which TDEE calcs do you guys use? There's like a million.

skipped gym yesterday because it was closed is it okay to workout what I should have done yesterday today? i'd workout twice today, back,traps + shoulders arms later

Yeah, as long as it was just one gym day you missed.

I used to lift and i got above 1/2/3/4.

I had a series of injuries and circumstances that prevented me from going to the gym for the last 6 months and from what i can tell my gains are all gone, but the body fat from bulking has stayed loyal and not left me.

as it stands im at 20% bodyfat with only hints of muscle on me.

i'm allowed to start lifting again by doc next week - whilst i'm tempted to get strength back, i'm also keenly aware of how fat i am. what do i do?

SS on a cut?

How much weight does multi ply powerlifting gear add? What are the raw numbers of elite equipped lifters?

I was having a conversation with a friend about this and he didn't believe that the equipment could add more than at most 150 pounds even when I showed him that's there's a ~400 pound difference between the raw and equipped bench super heavyweight world records.

lets say someone would eat 10000 calories in a day, how much of that would go into fat?

I'm using cronometer to track my calories on a cut. I've set my activity level to 'moderate' to account for lifting, which increases my TDEE estimation. Does that mean I shouldn't use the 'add exercise' function to log my lifting (which further increases the estimated calories burned for that day)?
Like, would that essentially be logging the same activity twice?

What's the best Zinc supplement I can get in the EU?

big difference between brown rice and white rice?

Going to the gym with onset of cold, yay or nay?

Only a bit sore throat, and somewhat stuffy nose. Would feel good to get out and about tho!

Zinc

>decide to join hookup site
>only recently sworn off the ripletits devils doctrines
>exclusively post pics of legs since I've only started my cut
>bunch of gays message me
>decide to message a bunch of verified milfs that prefer "athletic types"
>rp about them licking the sweat of my balls after a heavy squat session etc.
>they start requesting upper body pics
what the fuck do i do? do i tell them about bulking/cutting and how i can bench more than most guys at my gym? or do i just raid cbt for pics that are similar enough to me?

>Would feel good
there's your answer

Fix form 100%

I'm on Stronglifts but I can't do barbell rows because of wrist pain (used to have tendinitis), which is the best replacement back exercise?

Other row type exercises with a less horizontal grip aren't painful.

>yfw OP can bench your bodyweight

Is it ok if one of my legs is turned outwards more than the other leg? I find this helps me stay in the center of my squat as I go into the whole, whereas if both were the same angle then my hips would shift to the right at the bottom of the hole.

I've tried methods to correct this like focusing on staying center, but it still hasn't corrected itself. If I put my right foot angled out more I don't even have to think about staying center, even when going for PR's or while I'm in struggle city.

I've been """"""lifting""""""" for almost a year (first half stronglifts, doing phraks gslp now). I have made almost zero progress since the second month. I still can't bench my bodyweight (not even close), I can only barely squat my bodyweight, and my deadlift isnt much better and so on.

I track my food down to the last grain of rice and eat enough protein. At first I ate maintenance, then I put on 10kg, and now I'm losing it because I didn't make any progress and it made me look a little fatter instead.

My form isn't perfect (not bad) but based on the videos I see on youtube with people looking like they're about to kill themselves while lifting way more than me I suspect I haven't reached the point where that would be issue. Even on exercises as simple as a chinup I have made zero progress.

Why am I so weak? It's depressing (and embarrassing) thinking about how much progress I should have made up to this point, though my routine has become a habit at this point so I haven't really thought of giving up.