Im starting lifting but I dont have a rack, can I perform OHP without it?

Im starting lifting but I dont have a rack, can I perform OHP without it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yea I ohp without a rack too, just clean it

Yeah just drop it on the ground

Clean from ground

You can OHP off of the ground you need more energy since you swing the weight onto your chest but it is not significant. The rack is nice to place the weight perfectly above your bone for ideal force transmission but even that I imagine you can get the hang of when lifting off of the ground.

/thread

It's the only way to do it.
The mans way to do it.

Is the pic proper form?

I've always been told forearms should be vertical. help desu

ive lived my whole life thinking there was no other way..

LOL

Whoever made this 3D model didn't bother to make it proper form. Vertical forearms at the bottom is correct.

It's easier and better to do it from the ground.

You lean over like you're stretching to touch your toes, keep your knees unbent and straight then grasp the bar and jerk it up with a hunched back, lift from your lower back not legs.

Started cleaning it.

My god it feels wonderful and you have mires everywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

You can clean it but it's going to slow down your progress because getting in enough air to brace effectively (the most important part of pressing) is harder with the bar in the front rack position.

Also you tend to clean so that your hands are just outside your shoulders and you probably press with your hands at shoulder width. All that adjustment under load detracts from your ability to press well.

A Rogue Yoke is like $600 and can be used as a rack (safety bars are like an extra $100 IIRC). Start saving your shekels.

Thank breh gonna do this in front of the mirror when the gym's really busy.

Is that a joke? That is not how to perform a clean, it's how to herniate a disc.

>not knowing how to clean a god damn barbell
Jesus OP
You sound like someone who has never performed an OHP after a clean. Some people swear that they can press more after they cleaned the bar instead of after taking it from the rack.

You should OHP by cleaning it first.
Anybody who does it from a rack has a vagina.

I have a related question,

How do i transition smoothly from deadlift to OPH?

When I swing it up to my chest, i'm sure that i'm doing it wrong

>You sound like someone who has never performed an OHP after a clean.

I've done it many times

>Some people swear that they can press more after they cleaned the bar instead of after taking it from the rack.

These people are either using momentum and/or leg drive or they don't know how to set up for the lift out of a rack. There is every reason for your strict OHP to suffer as a result of cleaning it and no reason for it to be better.

>How do i transition smoothly from deadlift to OPH?

you don't. moron.

Okay, how do i clean OHP with proper form because apparently i'm doing it wrong

Finally someone with common sense. Not "muh manly cleans feelz gud xD".
But yeah OP, you can clean it for now but you're going to take a toll on your goal movement.

ask /owg/, or just meme the bar up any way you feel like since OHP weight is fucking nothing.

Some beginner tips on the clean:
Don't start it off as a deadlift, you need to be able to extend as you reach your hip, so being extended when you reach your hips is a big problem. Grab the bar and squat it up.
Generate force by extending from below the hip, try this a few times from a dead stop so you'll learn not to use weird-ass deadlift momentum.
keep the bar close.
Legs move the bar, arms only join in when the legs can't work no mo.
Ram that bar in rack position, no hesitation, elbows maximum up.

How about seated OHP?
I have a memetic homegym because i live in the middle of nowhere, but the ceiling is too low for me to OHP.

Yeah but 90% of the time you guys just leg press the bar + reverse curl it, thinking that's a "clean". You don't get 'mired, you get cringed.

Do that shit long enough and you will never learn to do a proper clean.

youre never gonna make it if you never had the thought of cleaning it in someway

It's fine if you're just sitting without leaning against anything. You could even just sit on the floor on do Z-press. I think resting your upper back against a bench could possibly impede the movement of your scapula. Pressing above your head being bad for your rotator cuff is a myth but, if the scapula don't move properly, then I think it's possible to abrade your cuff tendons like what happens in a guillotine bench press.