Sup Veeky Forums started running not long ago

sup Veeky Forums started running not long ago
what are the pros and cons of running?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/well/move/an-hour-of-running-may-add-seven-hours-to-your-life.amp.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377837
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you run forever you become immortal

google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/well/move/an-hour-of-running-may-add-seven-hours-to-your-life.amp.html

At the expense of fucking up your joints

well if you live forever you'll be able to get enhanced joints anyway

Running is a meme. Do warlking, prefferably in hilly/mountain terrain.

If want actual noticable benefits asap, then do running up the stairs - takes lot more effort than "running", but also is not a meme.

To put it in perspective - jogging is not actually very benificial, but its addictive once you get used to it. Its a pointless activity giving you excuse to not actually excert yourself - you could be sprinting, runing stairs/mountains, interval running, running with weight: but most "runners" instend just spend hour dayly running in leisurly pace and think they do sport.

surely it's still good for heart and lungs

I started doing sprints - takes 20 minutes a few times a week and there's no way to compromise on effort - with running you can keep it easy, your perception of effort is mainly time based.

Felt huge benefits - way faster than when I used to run, been good for my abs too. Do it on a football field near my house, I also feel the extra forward momentum you have and reduced time is probably much better for your knees long term

It is better than nothing - but there are multiple studies showing similar increases in VO2 etc from HIIT at a faction of the time.

Probs the cardio equivalent of expecting benefits doing 100 reps of 1 kg I suppose

I hope lifting would make my joints strong enough to run without fucking them. Because I'd love to run but if I try to do so my knees start to ache.

Got told jogging, especially on paved and hard surfaces is damaging to your knees and ankles over time from the repeated force of it.

Any info to refute this?

its correct

True. The safest and and efficient is nordic walking (the one with hand poles)

Just run on grass you retards

There are different kinds of endurance. ANd the people who spout off this nonsense are usually too lazy to run for more than 20 minutes.

For the typical out of shape couch potato who's probably been sedentary as fuck for a lot of years?

it's litterally fucking WORSE then nothing. There's no telling how badly they're going to fuck their joints up or what it will do to their horribly undertrained cardiovascular system or how completely fucked they'll be for days.
Not only fucking that, they do not have the pure work capacity to do it at a high enough level or long enough to make it worth while.

The people who continuously squeal about hiit as the panacea of everyone and thing while not even knowing what HIIT actually is or why it's horribly ineffective in some cases and unvelievably dangerous in others.

Telling someone who's very out of shape to not just get up and go for an 20 minute to 1 hour long walk because you're really fit/on drugs and or too fucking lazy and impatient to take that goddamned walk or jog is fucking bullshit.
Fuck you.

pros:

>losing weight
>getting fitter, more healthy etc.
>getting faster, you can run away from fights you wont win
>getting faster, you can run away from cops and wont get into jail
>getting faster, you can run to the bus and wont miss it anymore
>hitting on qt 3.14 cardio bunnies

cons:

>losing muscle, you wont be able to win fights anymore (but now you can run away)
>lsing mucles, qt 3.14 cardio bunnies may laugh at your pathetic upper body

Long slow distance is pretty pointless IMO. It's still high impact, so it's bad for recovery in that sense, plus you aren't really stimulating your body with anything new. Swimming is better for this since it is low impact and more therapeutic, and you are practicing a skill. I think jump rope is better than running since it burns a similar amount of calories but is low impact and enables you to challenging your body in different ways. All the trick variations keep it interesting. If you are going to run you might as well do trail running and make it more interesting for yourself along with taking in fresher air.

Trail running is about 1000x better for you and its way less boring.

pic unrelated

Foreman is a beast. He literally looks like a lion in this pic.

You're an absolute idiot...

His transformation after his break was insane. He was a straight up brawler that just beat other fighters to death, but when he cam back he was a ring tactician.

He looks like he's taking a leisurely stroll through the park and decides to hit you with a falcon punch for asking if he can autograph your George Foreman Grill.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377837

Runners had less risk of arthritis compared to those doing less strenuous exercise (walking).

i'd say it's fairly pointless, espacially if you're out of shape and think jogging 3 times a week is going to fix that, your burn what , like 400-500 calories on a one hour run? I still jog 3 times a week though, i'm ottermode and only lift for ladies, program:

>15 minutes inclinde on the mill with sprints ever five minutes, 3 times a week
>monday: inclinde barbell bench + squats
>wednesday: rowing + pullups
>friday: bicep + tricep + DL

takes no effort and i still look better then the delusional skinnyfat joggers and 'le function strength'. Probably gonna bulk after summer tho

All absolutely horrible advice by people who've never read a scientific paper.

How much do you weight/how slow do you run?

400-500 calories per hour is pretty slow since you probably take an hour to do 3-4 miles.

>15 minutes incline running
>This qualifies as running

Yeah nah. I do 15-20 miles every week and powerlift every other day.

how do you guys run with earbuds in your ears?

how do you hear anything or have them not fall out?

I have a clip a little beyond the point where they split into individual earbuds. They barely fall out once that thing's attached to my shirt.

>Pros
You'll be better at running
>Cons
You won't be able to run a couple decades down the track

You continue to burn calories after your run is over though as your body uses energy to recover and heal. So running really often actually heightens your metabolism.

>falling for the metanbolism meme

Calories in, calories out

> and wear proper impact absorbing shoes.

That's what I think of telling the people I see running on the sidewalk (or street) while wearing something like converse shoes.

u forgot one

pros

>qt3.14 mirin hard on tall runner type guys

cons

>look like a fuckin skeletor

>running makes you lose muscle
wat

Running actually has been shown to increase your basal metabolic rate for something like 24 hours after the exercise session, you can look it up, its called the afterburn/epoc effect.