Stop lifting the same weights with the same amount of reps for weeks expecting gains to magically appear

Stop lifting the same weights with the same amount of reps for weeks expecting gains to magically appear.
You NEED progressive overload to gain muscle and motivation to keep lifting.
I see guys lifting the same stuff that they lifted a month prior, and I'm sure a lot of you are as well.

You will get much more motivation with progressive overload and you will gain both strength and muscle much faster.
I've been setting new PB's every workout since last year, and even though they are small it's still progress.
I'm never at the point where lifting feels easy for me, it's always challenging.

Please do explain to me the benefits with not having a program that includes progressive overload.

Every time I try to increase weight I just get 1 less rep and have to deload.

Then do 1 rep more with the same weight.
Or do slower reps with the same weight.
If you do it better than last time, then it's progress.

Nobody does that though

Good post since nobody reads the sticky anyway.

Increment with the smallest weight possible. Like two 1.25kg plates or even less

Progressive overload doesn't apply if you're cutting. I just try to maintain strength. If I can do more than last time that's just icing on the cake.

my gym's dumbbells only go up in 5lbs increments, so on bench press it takes me forever to go up in weight. I typically have to be able to do 3x8-10 of a weight before I can go up 5lbs and do 3x5, it sucks

Don't focus on the weight, focus on the progress.
If you did 8 reps of 80kg and the next workout 8 reps of 80kg but with a more controlled and slower phase - it's progress.

If you set small goals for yourself each workout and reach them, then you're going to get a lot more motivation to keep going.

>You NEED progressive overload to gain muscle

Literally no shit? Did you just discover this? Do you think you're smart for knowing this?

I did not know about progressive overload until 2 years ago and it made a huge difference.
There are guys at my gym who stay at the same lifts for months. I'm sure that this post benefits some people.

I think chasing weight is focused on too much. Of course your lifts going up is a good thing, but I think volume is overlooked too much. Sometimes I think its not a matter of deloading weight, but keeping weight consistent and overloading on volume.

>mfw increased my squat volume by double, bench by almost quadruple and deadlift almost eightfold
>all on a cut
>lost 7 kg and not a sinle kg on my pl total, have in fact got stronger

Dont cut your volume lads

I don't think anyone denies how important volume is for progressive overload considering how it's the main driving factor behind your gains once you've stopped progressing session to session

A lot of people run step cycles because it's easier and most gyms don't have microplates anyway. this is why homegym is masterrace.

>most gyms don't have microplates
But these are the best gym equipment. I sometimes see children playing with them (that's when someone comes to lift with a child)

Buy your own, bring your own, take them home.

>explaining other people that these are yours and not gym's every fucking time
Too much for my autism tbqh

lmfao

I've actually always been /homegym/. I do go to this one gym when I'm staying at my family's, had to buy microplates when I still had those linear gains
see
They did believe me though, but the looks I got were too much.

than do rep pr or at the end of your workout do 2 amrap with 10-15% lower weight.

I honestly fucking hope there isnt a single person out there in the world who doesnt know that already. In other words, that is called progress. Everyone talks about progress, be it losing weight, getting a faster cardio timing on a lap or increasing the weight on the bar. Everyone fucking knows this shit.

I am scared of this, too.
Maybe if I was really ballsy and carried them so everyone could see, maybe then.

Everyone has to start somewhere, as a beginner.
I pretty much wasted my time at the gym my first year few months not knowing about progressive overload.

Yea but you are supposed to read the sticky and pick a programme like SS

SS is literally progression: the routine.

>I've actually always been /homegym/.
Same here, I can't stand people getting in the way and despise waiting.

Is progressive overload important for accessory lifts? If I'm increasing weight on my squat every week does it really matter if my walking lunges after stay the same for awhile?

this plus I lifting naked or in underwear. also for some reason I can lift less at the gym. plus nobody judges my last rep face and I don't get that 70 years old fucker telling me I'm gonna injure myself.

no, not important.
focus on quality of movement and contraction.

No, core lifts (squat dl ohp bench olylifts) = progressive overload is more important. Get more weight on the bar as time passes and you will get bigger.

Assisting lifts = more about pump and feeling the work, you can and should vary the rep ranges and exercises quite often, almost every time. Just do do what you feel like doing, but make sure it's not too much. IMO the only limiting rule for isolation should be that they must not interfere with the next workout's compound lifts.

Helped me. Usefulness confirmed. Swish post.

what I find works pretty well is picking weight you can do for 3 or 4x8, using that weight until you can do 3-4x12, and then moving up to the next weight at 3-4x8 again, continue.

Yes, exactly. But increase the reps/phase/weight every time so that you always make progress.