Are deadlifts even needed for bodybuilding ?

Are deadlifts even needed for bodybuilding ?

Cons-
>hard
>bad for lower back even with perect form
>not a great mass builder despite myths
>extremely draining so detremental to other direct mass building lifts (like barbell row for back)

Pros
>vanity lifting to show MUH STRENGTH
>...

So who ACTUALLY does them here ? Don't worry we're anonymous guys.

>tfw never see any of the big guys in my gym (myself inlcuded) doing them anyway

I think the deadlift will go the way of bench soon, as in, people will see they have benefits as a lift, but will stop doing it as much because there's better mass builders if you aren't lifting for strength.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GnqggNm7g0Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's fun to be strong and pick up a lot of weight though

Autism: The Post

it's a great mass builder, you're just a pleb who can't appreciate juicy af spinal erectors and thinks back is just lats

>>bad for lower back even with perect [sic] form

Idiot.

if the goal is size alone there is not a single necessary exercise

but saying deadlifts aren't a great mass builder is silly, you're probably just weak and don't do enough volume

IDK for you all, but ever since I started focusing on deadlift strength I got thiccer and put on some mass.

I'm still not convinced based based on Anecdotal accounts, mainly eating.

After a full body workout I eat like king. However, after deadlifts are incorporated, I eat as if I am a man twice my size, often extending into my rest days.

I'm talking rediculous amounts, like 2 chipotle burritos in one sitting. Entire pizzas, etc...

I think heavy deads are a waste. but high rep deads are good for keeping your back in shape.

Sometimes I look forward to them because it can be invigorating to pick up so much weight, and sometimes I dread them because they're so damn exhausting. I'm a noob tho.

Literally oposite for me but each to their own mate

A lot of bodybuilders deadlift, its good for packing on size, but I'm sure its not 100% necessary.

Also, as an aside, anyone have a good upper back exercise? I just do deadlifts for my whole back.

>cons
>hard

kys

..rows, pull-ups.

they are fun

being strong is fun

Having nice joocy glutes is nice

few people get a big deadlift without also getting a big back so stop worrying about your rows

i do 5 pull-ups 2x a week, but it does not seem to do anything, anyone know what rep ranges/weights i should do?

whoops meant to say 50* as in 5x10

>i do dead lift for me whole back

Jesus christ
>pull ups (weighted)
>barbell row
>dumbell row
>cable row

Only deadlifts for back is shit tier, for any muscle above waist they are awful (yes they barely work traps) do barbell shrugs.

Same. I'm going to try adding them in at the beginning of every workout.

Wish I had a chin up bar at home.

>even arnold wasnt built for deads

Only manlets were built to dead, its very uncomfortable for any tall person even being flexible.

5x10 is good

maybe changing one of the pull-up days to 3/5x5 with added weight, that did wonders for me

alright, will try.

Why does everyone get so defensive about deadlifts ?

easily most over rated lift of all time

I replaced heavy deadlifts with RDLs for high reps.

You can progress on your DL just by squatting anyways, if I decide to go back I'm sure I'll still be strong at it.

Oh ok, I guess that's why all the greatest deadlifters in the world like Benny Magnusson, Konstantiv Konstaninovs, Brian Shaw, Eddie Hall, Pete Rubish, Misha Koklayev, Zydrunas Savickas and Hafthor Bjornson are all manlets.

Oh wait no

jf anything bench is

>>hard
>a con
lmao

>>bad for lower back even with perfect form
That's just not true at all

>>vanity lifting to show MUH STRENGTH
>implying bodybuilding is not one of the most vain activities of all

deadlifting used to be my all time favorite exercise. Along the way I lost motivation for like, 6 months and just started getting back into lifting and I don't have any desire to deadlift again. I just row/facepull/pullups nowadays and actually want to workout again

I don't buy the argument that deads lead to overall muscle development. It seems like every guy and their mother can "deadlift 450". Yet a lot of these guys do not have impressive physiques. Also they put an unnecesary amount of strain on the lower back, really seems like an injury-inducing lift. After tweaking my back too many times I'm only gonna go light, like 2 plates, for reps.

Adding onto this, absolutely the most adrenaline inducing, fun lift you can do when you start hitting above 4.5 plate but anything less and it's just meh to me now. Not worth the effort putting into getting back and beyond that point

Ironically the best deadlifters are lanklets due to their long ass fucking limbs.

You are wrong.

>because you are a wimp
>wrong
>you aren't doing enough volume. and dls are great for building up raw power
>refer to meme arrow 1

>tfw never see any of the big guys in my gym (myself inlcuded) doing them anyway

This probably means you look like shit.

>if their biceps aren't bigger from it then it doesn't lead to muscle growth

fuck off retard

>After tweaking my back too many times I'm only gonna go light, like 2 plates, for reps.
Same

where did i mention biceps, dimwit?

Conventional deadlifts are worthless for mad mass, just do Romanian Deadlifts for developing the posterior chain.

High volume = a one way express trip to SnapCity.

Jesus christ, how on earth did you manage to pack so much broscience into a single sentence?

>snapping your back with 1 pl8 diddys

do people lift naked at your gym? how do you know their muscles aren't developed, faggot?

Arnold is 1.88 m

arnie did them

that's good enough for me

he's 1.82 at most.

there are tons of better examples of tall men deadlifting huge amounts of weight

RDLs
>High volume and time under tension because you have to do the reps very slow
>It's based on the strech in the glutes and hamstrings and the microtearing of muscle fibres is the main drive for hypertrophy
>Due to point one it's an excellent isometric work for the lower back (the whole core really) and that is the best way to train it
>Again due to point one you are at least risk of an injury because you have to keep constant proprioception on your back

he's basically right
If someone told me he only wants to do natural bodybuilding I'd advise against heavy deadlifts and towards RDLs in a moderate rep range.

to stay on topic: Deadlifts, while a great posterior chain builder, aren't necessary for hypertrophy goals alone.

>what is a trap bar

What are the main differences between
the two types of dead lifts?

you're stupid and weak

Do you need deadlifts? No.

Do they help? Yes.

I like doing barbell lifts because they cut down on how much time I have to spend in the gym, but you can achieve the same physique/strength with other exercises.

>tut means jack shit for actual growth
>microtearing your musclefibers through overload on conventional deadlifts is just as effective if volume is correctly managed
>see ^
>this is bullshit as you are more likely to get fatigued and lift sloppy

Don't get me wrong, RDLs are great, but they aren't better than conventional. They're just more hamstring specific.

Conventional DL will give you the best proportioned physique, being an isolation monkey is not the way to go.

>deadlift hits ~70% of all the muscles in the body
>is deadlift good for bodybuilding
fuckin retard go waste 2 hours on doing isolations

I do deadlifts because along with strength I legitimately enjoy doing them.

If you don't like deadlifting you're a pussy faggot.

I said better for hypertrophy not better in all aspects

So far the pro's for deadlift brought up inthis thread are:
>i like doing them
>you're a pussy if you don't like doing them
Solid arguments lads

Deadlift is a shitty exercise. Do it if you enjoy it

I think it depends on your genetics more than anything in terms of deadlifting. I never train my neck isolated ever, only through deadlifts my neck is as big as Tom Hardys in "Warrior", so I don't need for that muscle part any isolation because deadlifting is more than enough for my body.

Dude diddlies are easier the longer limbs / shorter torso you have. You're literally retarded.

But it's not even better for hypertrophy. It all comes down to volume management.

>chest ad delts
>tris and bis
>calves
these things dont get any gains from dl and are important for bodybuilding.
traps, lats and forearms get hit but not that much.

ronnie coleman himself said he only dls to get his lower back thicker, not for lats or traps or whatever you people want to call a used musce during dl

This. I prefer sldl or rdl over dl for same reason. I run them for sets like every other lift.

wow. I think you are right, never thought about this.
I like squats the most but deadlifting is fun. I enjoy it a lot, and I feel my traps and forearms being worked as well.

Romanian deadlift or straight/stiff leg deadlift start at top of lift and bar never sits dead on floor. I typically deadlift bar to starting point, do lift, then set back down

wow if ronnie coleman said it it must be true

I guarantee you are a dyel, deadlifts thicken up the back a lot. You only need to get strong at them

They even hit the biceps isometricly lmao. The only thing that doesnt get hit are the chest, triceps and delts

im might be biased but i know 6 guys personally who diddlyd over 200kg (4 1/2 plates) and all of them have spinal problems with their lower back. They all told me they watched their form but sometimes you just fuck up.

Anybody care to show with statistics that heavy deadlifting is not extremely dangerous ?

> Cons
> hard

Brian shaw at 6.8 would like to have a word with you.

Side note Brian shaw claims he values a man at his deadlift. He calls it the best lift there is.

don't bother, it is just as all heavy lifting is if you don't watch your form. Deadlift seems to have the highest incidence rate though, e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=GnqggNm7g0Q

I can deadlift 4 plates without any gear (no chalk, belt, straps, etc.), using a regular grip (not hook).

I just keep on doing 405 for 5x5 on every deadlift session.

Is this bad? I have no desire to push further or increase my deadlifts. They're pretty easy now.

>sometimes you just fuck up

yeah I bet they didn't realize their stabilizer muscles or core were too weak for the heavy lift. I injured my lower back squatting even when being very strict about my form. I realized it was simply because some other muscle groups gave out when I tried to push a max. It doesn't matter how good form is if your core/butt/lower back give out from not being strong enough. If youre aware of any muscle imbalances and train your weaknesses then deadlifting cannot harm you. This is true for any major lift though. You can injure your shoulders benching if your back is incredibly weak in comparison to your chest. Ric flair at the age of 67 still deadlifts 4 pl8 to reduce his back pain.

If I were to get to your point, Id just increase the reps

> a good upper back exercise
front squats, california etc

Once you can do 5x10 then add 5 lbs in a backpack.

Work your way back up to 5x10, then add 5 more lbs. Rinse and repeat.

Also on Mondays i do standard pullups. Wednesdays i do chinups. Fridays I do neutral grips. That way you are targeting different areas of muscles.

My lats have fucking exploded over the past year

If you don't DL, you'll never be T H I C C

Doesn't it work your core? I don't like doing sit ups and shit like that.

It's also good for posture ain't it? Anterior pelt fixer.

Ok i will, and i'll still look better than you

>Cons
>hard

Stopped reading right there. Please kys weakling

ofcourse it's better for hypertrophy.
the hamstrings are used through a larger range of motion.

also, you can do more volume on RDLs/SLDLs than regular deadlifts because they're less fatiqueing.

>After tweaking my back too many times
You have bad form. Doesn't mean the lift is garbage, just means you're garbage.

I'm just shit at deadlifts I think

>watch videos online
>every guy showing them is a manlet
>ROM is like two feet from the ground all the way up
>able to keep chest up without going down like a "Squat" which they all say to avoid

>weakling

See and please by all means post yourself sweetie :)

I know more people who took a trip to snap city from weighted pull-ups then deadlifts

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>implying

What how? Seems one of the safer lifts

because hes lying

How

>Is mastering a lift that engages 90% of my bodies musculature with high intensity even needed for building every muscle on my body as much as possible?

Most sensible post in the thread

>longer limbs / shorter torso
Long arms, relatively short legs and long torso is the ideal deadlift build.

eg.

>never see any of the big guys in my gym (myself inlcuded)
lmao

No they're not needed. Should you be doing some sort of pulling? Yeah but a conventional DL off the floor is not required at all.

>faggots itt want to stare at each other

>99 calories
>24g protein

Why the FUCK has no one told me about shrimp? This is some fucking god tier cutting food.

This faggot preaching abour vanity lifting when he literally lifts for vanity.

>Deadlift is a M.E.M.E

havent you heard? They are useless.

lmfao this is such bs
ive heard multiple bodybuilders of all experience ranges say that bench and heavy compounds contribute the most to density and overall development
regardless of if its in a smith or not

What..the opposite is true. I'm 6'4 and was deadlifting 4 plate after like 8 months of lifting. I find most tall people can deadlift quite a bit due to longer limbs. Squats are a fucking bitch

Fish is stupidly protein dense. The tilapia I made yesterday had 24g of protein for every 110 calories. Fish is great period.